• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions: Dash Trim Kit

What do you think of Aluminum Dash Trim Kit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I need your opinions............Be honest. I can take it.

My 91 NSX center console and door panels suddenly started to bubble up. (see pics). Rather than purchase the expensive OEM replacements, I decided to try the brushed aluminum dash trim kit from Direct Trim for $271.

Since I only know how to post five thumbnails per post...review the next few posts, take a look at the before and after pictures and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 238
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 321
Next series of pics.........

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 190
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 362
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 216
And finally........

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 192
56 views and only 4 people took the poll??? Come on.....it only takes a couple of seconds. I guess everyones too busy posting "owned" "pwned" and other useless crap on "Easiest way to own an NSX". Come on people.

I also like this better than the carbon fiber stick-ons. looks nice.

you may want to have the panels cleared to avoid peeling of the "sticker"
I like the look ,it's just cheesy when it starts to peel

Matt,

I think it looks great. I like the contrast. I can't wait to get to see it in person. How was it to install? It looks like it was made very well to fit the car.

Brad

It's really not bad. I'm dissapointed that such a "high end" car has such a crappy finish. My car has 54,000 miles and it's all bubbling.:confused:

Looks good, but to me the NSX is far higher than a car that needs stickers on interior panels to look like other materials.

Yeah, I definitely see what your saying. Thats kinda stuck in the back of my head everytime I look at it.

I also like this better than the carbon fiber stick-ons. looks nice.

Thanks. I like this better also.

Matt,

I think it looks great. I like the contrast. I can't wait to get to see it in person. How was it to install? It looks like it was made very well to fit the car.

Brad

Thanks Brad. The contrast is cool but its going to take getting used to. It seems like thats all you see in your peripheral vision while you're driving. It is very well made but very fragile as well. I had to buy a special 3M cleaner to install the pieces. Very high pressure install. Once the pieces touch they better be where you want them. It took three pairs of hands to do the center console. We got very lucky and got them where they belong.

It's really not bad. I'm dissapointed that such a "high end" car has such a crappy finish. My car has 54,000 miles and it's all bubbling.

I couldn't agree more. This kit definitly looks better than the bubbles. THe kit kind of reminds me of older muscle cars with the flat, non-tapered edges.

The interior parts can also be stripped and refinished with 2 part automotive paint. Or also CF

Is this a shameless plug?:wink: I've seen your carbon work...very impressive but I'm just not a fan of interior carbon fiber. I also noticed in some of your pictures that the door switch panels are a lighter color. I like them. How about a price quote for stripping and painting center console and door switch panels? I have been wanting to ask you if you would wrap the upper air box lid in carbon and if so....how much?

Yeah, I definitely see what your saying. Thats kinda stuck in the back of my head everytime I look at it.

Thanks. I like this better also.

Thanks Brad. The contrast is cool but its going to take getting used to. It seems like thats all you see in your peripheral vision while you're driving. It is very well made but very fragile as well. I had to buy a special 3M cleaner to install the pieces. Very high pressure install. Once the pieces touch they better be where you want them. It took three pairs of hands to do the center console. We got very lucky and got them where they belong.

I couldn't agree more. This kit definitly looks better than the bubbles. THe kit kind of reminds me of older muscle cars with the flat, non-tapered edges.

Is this a shameless plug?:wink: I've seen your carbon work...very impressive but I'm just not a fan of interior carbon fiber. I also noticed in some of your pictures that the door switch panels are a lighter color. I like them. How about a price quote for stripping and painting center console and door switch panels? I have been wanting to ask you if you would wrap the upper air box lid in carbon and if so....how much?

Well its a plug but maybe not shameless : )

switch panels and console strip and refinish... call me for current price

Air box lid in cf will be available in about 2 weeks.

thanks

i like the aluminum look, but not on a red car with tan interior.

Thanks...I think you're right on. A friend of mine and I just came up with the same conclusion a few minutes ago. It's something about the two tone black/tan interior that messes with this kit. The kit is beautiful but it belongs in a solid black interior. I'd swap it out with the Silver 97 but the 97 is bone stock and will probably stay that way.

Ok, I will be honest.

The color looks OK on the NSX, pretty sharp actually.
The kit looks good on the door panels.
However, what I don't like that much is the way it attaches to the edges around the stereo, ashtray and airco unit. I can understand that it's almost impossible to wrap stickers like these around corners and edges, but it's there where it's very obvious that this is an add-on kit.

When I wanted to refinish the interior dash, I opted to have my body shop paint the console in a kind of brushed aluminum/silver look and it turned out very well. Actually, it freshens up the interior of the car very much and I have had many compliments on it from other NSX drivers.

Don't know what having the pieces painted would have cost you, but now I have since the difference between your kit and the painted console, I would choose the painted console every time. But having it painted IS more work of course.

Poll completed:biggrin:

I had the same kit. It looks great on the doors and instrument panel but cheezy on the center console/clock. I kept the kit on the doors/instrument panel but removed the center console/clock trim.

Probably best to strip/refinish the center console/clock.

Ok, I will be honest.

The color looks OK on the NSX, pretty sharp actually.
The kit looks good on the door panels.
However, what I don't like that much is the way it attaches to the edges around the stereo, ashtray and airco unit. I can understand that it's almost impossible to wrap stickers like these around corners and edges, but it's there where it's very obvious that this is an add-on kit.

Better than the oem crap. I think you will find it is best to repaint the center console and leave the stickers on the door switches and around cluster panel (as I did). Good looking kit.
When will will Downforce make a kick ass center console? CAN YOU HEAR ME DF? WHEN?!?!

If you really want my opinion I'll give it. I think the aluminum looks is ok. Not good, but ok. I think the NSX is too much of a high end car to have brushed aluminum in it. I had a Fiero GT. I put the brushed aluminum in THAT car. It looked good. I think honestly you should either go full carbon Fiber... or do what I'm going to probably end up doing. Remove the pieces, take them to a body shop, have them sanded down and re-finished in a gloss black. I think just a perfect gloss black may look better than the factory.

If you really want my opinion I'll give it. I think the aluminum looks is ok. Not good, but ok. I think the NSX is too much of a high end car to have brushed aluminum in it. I had a Fiero GT. I put the brushed aluminum in THAT car. It looked good. I think honestly you should either go full carbon Fiber... or do what I'm going to probably end up doing. Remove the pieces, take them to a body shop, have them sanded down and re-finished in a gloss black. I think just a perfect gloss black may look better than the factory.

I did this recently. Love it! It is the best of the five different center consoles I have had in my car.

That Tucson heat is a dash killer.

Sorry, but I think the Billet look is a thing of the past... Too much contrast.

I think the CF would be a better choice, or have it painted. I am going to be looking into this as well. Mine is starting to show signs of flaking.

I think some of you guys need to be reminded that these cars range up to 16 years old. It doesn't matter if you only have 10,000 miles on a 91-94 or even 2000 and older car. The car is old already and if you drive it more than garage it then things will start to bubble, crack, wear, or whatevers.......Some of you guys act like if the car is so good that nothing will ever wear out. :rolleyes:

I don't think the aluminum looks good but if it covers up the bubbling then why not. If you are happy with it then keep it......its not bad but I don't think it goes with the car.

I have the carbon fiber layovers and they look fine to me.

I like it on the center console, but the trim on the door didn't do it for me (too much metal without any breaks in the trim). Definitely much better than the bubbles.

Back