• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pole 2 Flag Dry Carbon Carbon Rear Bumper

100% Dry Carbon Carbon Rear Bumper '91-'01 ~ 3 lbs.

$120 Non-refundable deposit(transferable).
Lead Time ~2 Wks. (sequential order)
For More Detail, click link above.

Must be committed, not just involved.
1. Greg-TT (Greg K.)
2. NSXonWheels (Victor L.)
3. NSXcitement (Dave D.)
4. WayJaded (Jon W.)
5. Gary W

The Intro price has ended. We will wait for the feedback then confirm the future price.

We will be making prosthetic for the wounded veterans coming back from war. Every carbon part you buy from us, $50 will be donated to this non-profit program.
Below is the logo, a lot less redneck than Pole2FlagRacing logo.

Last edited:
I got your PM and replied.
You can sign up for the dry carbon bumper here:

if we get 5, the price is lower, if not, so be it.
its not a part for everybody and ricers don't care about low PMI.
We'll have a solution for the front soon.

1) Why is this 91-01 only?

2) I'm worried about the structural strength of this versus aluminum have you actually done any testing?

3) what kind of foam is inside the unit?

4) will the front one be curved?

5) there are some carbon tubes available ready made, are you modifying those or are you making this from scratch?

Nice looking product. Thanks!

If done right it should be pretty if not stronger than alluminum. M3s run these, and they are oem...

- - - Updated - - -

Any options for front as well?? When would you need the deposit by?

Carbon is only strong in certain directions, whereas aluminum is strong in any. It's not easy to build this stuff like an OEM. Lift not I'm not trying to be critical, just curious.

The carbon fabric used is the same as used in bumper beams on bmw m-cars but our beams are all enclosed with urethane foam on the inside offering a softer impact structure which can slow force instead of having blunt force transfer. Its not made from carbon tubes. And all aerospace fastners are used.

1) Why is this 91-01 only?
I am 99.5% sure 02+ will fit as our was tested on a '93. It probably/most likely will fit.

2) I'm worried about the structural strength of this versus aluminum have you actually done any testing?
If you worry about that, then this part is not for you. FWIW, we got tapped from behind (only 5mph) sitting at the stop light, nothing happen to the bumper. You have to remember, this is a race part. we can't compete with OEM steel. Steel will transfer all the impact to the chassis and possibility bend the alum chassis and your car is toast. the point is not how strong the carbon bumper is but once the chassis is bend from carbon or steel, you are done. Its better to learn how to drive and not go 10/10 unless you have another NSX in the garage.

We are not going to discuss in detail how the layers are placed and the process of making one. There is nothing wrong using the OEM steel bumper or if you can find an alum bumper.

3) what kind of foam is inside the unit?
Urethane

4) will the front one be curved?
Our front is an alum bumper from ProCar. its basically a 2x4 alum extrusion not a "bumper". It was $$$$. we don't run a wiper system.

We need an oem front bumper to make a mold for a carbon front bumper......then we might be able to keep the wiper system and still be very light....or, we might just make one out of alum like the ProCar model.
If you are worry about crashing, this part is not for you. stay with OEM.

5) there are some carbon tubes available ready made, are you modifying those or are you making this from scratch?

making them from pre-preg not from OTS carbon tubes. thats for the ricers. Please visit our website for more detail. There is a link to this back in 2008. Our vendor's(John - Axis Power Racing) background was in Indy cars so we understand not everybody feels comfortable buying structure carbon parts. But loosing 20lb from both ends of the car is huge in handling thus besides losing weight, the added benefits of better handling, acceleration, braking is noticeable and the intro price became a bargain. You may need to readjust your dampers.

FYI, We have bought CF bucket seats(7lbs vs 22 lbs oem) and CF hardtop(15lbs. vs 50lbs oem) for Mazda Miata from Axis Power and they were very comfortable to sit in even in long drives and the hardtop was tested at over 3000lbs. IIRC. Bumpers are much less challenging to make than a CF hardtop.

taking deposit now but you must understand its non-refundable to keep curious George away.
we are not going to make a whole bunch and people start to back away. You can certainly wait for end user feedback but by that time, the price will be different.

We will be attending the NSX only track day Oct. 18 at BW and you are welcome to come and check it out.

Last edited:
Î do remember that thread from the past, but I also remember the price being much higher, like 900 or something if memory serves me right.

Also I would like to note that in 1997 the rear beam was changed to aluminum from steel, so I think the weight savings for those cars is closer to 12 pounds. Still not a bad savings considering the location.

I hope I did not upset you by my questions, I think it's important to know this stuff. I am seriously considering this part, but my car is newer than a 2001. So what if I buy one and it does not fit? Do I own it? Do you have any more pictures of the foam inside? I am wondering about the density of that foam.

Last edited:
Î do remember that thread from the past, but I also remember the price being much higher, like 900 or something if memory serves me right.

Also I would like to note that in 1997 the rear beam was changed to aluminum from steel, so I think the weight savings for those cars is closer to 12 pounds. Still not a bad savings considering the location.

I hope I did not upset you by my questions, I think it's important to know this stuff. I am seriously considering this part, but my car is newer than a 2001. So what if I buy one and it does not fit? Do I own it? Do you have any more pictures of the foam inside? I am wondering about the density of that foam.

Senor David,

of course we/I am not upset. We are racers or racers "wanna-be" not ricers your questions are perfect for others to read and have an idea what P2F is up to and the way we conduct our business. When we said "its a race part" "no refund" "its not for everybody" "price does not equal to value" etc. Our parts has meaning but that does not mean it won't break. i.e, you buy your next car from BAC MONO or Radical RXC so you are the king of the hill at your local C&C, you crash the car showing off and many things broke, well, time to pony up more money to fix it.

We don't and will never make rice parts so the market is even smaller but that is totally ok as we have other gigs/plans going on. Living in Calif., you can't depend on one source of income but the surf/beach/club drive is too good to move else where. Its summer time, the swell is small and the beach is packed with Zonies, so we have more time to reply but not during winter swells.

Dali is gone, we all have mix feelings about that. Dali had many low cost parts and we want to take that even further to make parts that does at least 3 things not just the low price. ARB 1.0 to ARB 2.0 is a perfect example. Looking back, we should've started this biz a long time ago to kick his butt but oh well....we came out the closet, we are here now and proud.

The $900 bumper was the 1st article so took more time to get it right etc thus the cost. No FEA was performed but we understand the process and it was the best we can do. Dry carbon at $600 is really "cheap" or shall we say "a great value" AND the part is not bling. How many CF parts for the NSX can do that? It won't look as good as DF or Pro Car parts but it will be 100% functional and out of sight.

Do the math and figure out the PMI and you'll know. Or, better, track a car without bumpers and feel it for yourself. If you are safety minded, this part is not for you. (FYI, Lotus Elise/Exige has no bumpers and their body is FRP) The first batch of 5 is for people who willing and trust our experience to try the bumper. The next 5....the price will be JDM price.

This part benefits your car ALL THE TIME unlike some other mods that turn into static downforce when not in use.

>So what if I buy one and it does not fit? Do I own it? Do you have any more pictures of the foam inside? I am wondering about the >density of that foam.
According to NSXGOD, bumpers from all years are all interchangeable. It probably is. We just don't know for sure. You can ask on Prime people like Shawn, Brian, Larry etc. to be sure. We are 99% sure it will fit but our policy is NO RETURN so you own the part. We'll take a picture of the foam when we make the next batch. Its the same as the ProCar frt bumper foam all boxed inside the alum extrusion. Not much to see and not sexy. If you worry too much, this part is not for you. The majority of our background is in design and we try not to make parts that breaks for the public use. If it doesn't break, its probably too heavy or over designed.

Last edited:
In! Just paid :smile:

thx Greg. Will get on it ASAP(start making this coming Monday and you will/should have it way before BW track day in Oct.) and Thx for the trust. Will post progress pix here.
If we get 5 people to commit, you will get a refund. How cool is that? :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

False, please do research before making statements. It's very misleading to people

Thx Steve.

Here is the bottom line guys:

Wet carbon = Ok $$
Pre-preg /dry carbon = lighter, stiffer, better and stronger and .your lap time can drop everywhere.$$$
Added bennies = the lighter the car, the less brake you will need.
autoclave = 10x the cost and strength

Last edited:
False, please do research before making statements. It's very misleading to people

Easy there Stephen... I can provide ample evidence behind what I said. If you want to say something technical and feel it is appropriate, please do so. There's no need to get personal.

If you are safety minded, this part is not for you. :

Liftnot so I am trying to understand the rationale behind this statement. I don't see why a carbon beam built correctly can't be as safe or safer than the aluminum beam. From what I understand the aluminum beam is designed more to protect the chassis not the occupants. Speaking to the number of cage builders that have looked at my car they have all said that the bumper is going to do zero in protecting the occupants. Even in protection of the car, as you mentioned, the beam is only good until the point that the frame does not give. Once it does, the car is toast. And I think one can argue that absorption can be superior to deflection and I am wondering if the carbon beam filled with energy absorbent foam can't be even MORE energy absorbent than the hollow 1/8" thick aluminum tube. So knowing all of this, why would you then say "if you are safety minded this part is not for you"? What am I not seeing?

Also last question... that weight is WITH the foam?

Last edited:
Please provide your "technical information". I'll be waiting.

It's also not personal, I'm asking for you to not mislead people.

Please talk to me about weave orientation, fiber density, epoxy tensile strength and curing processes. I'm all ears.

If anyone wants to know, there is plenty of information online. I am not going to sit here and debate. Directional strength is one of the most basic characteristics of carbon fiber and it is a legitimate question to ask. If you are looking for an argument, look elsewhere Stephen.

- - - Updated - - -

Liftnot, is Greg number one so would I be number two? I am just trying to see if we can make 5.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to know, there is plenty of information online. I am not going to sit here and argue with you. Directional strength is one of the most basic characteristics of carbon fiber and it is a legitimate question to ask being I am actually INTERESTED in the part. Instead of trying to sound technical and being combative, why don't you just add useful information if you have any.

If you already know why not explain? Because your previous comment obviously states you know.

Let me break it down since you seem to be out of the loop, yes carbon is strong in typically one direction, that's the fabric. If you make a part and lay the fabric in the same orientation all layers then your part will probably wrap and be strong in only whatever direction the tow leading off the roll is. That's with standard, and 2x2 twill

Most companies and people with experience know this and choose to mirror the layers and or make the part thick enough not to warp. The good ones will pay attention though to make it not thick but thick enough to maximize strength and minimize weight.

Now that's standard and 2x2. With layup direction. If you want a particular strength in a certain direction you can do it. If you want it in all directions you can do it as well. It's about layup schedule.

You also have uni which is one directional, and bi-axial, tri-axial and quadra axial. You have different fiber density as well.

So your comment about carbon being only strong in one direction is completely false. There's a reason why f1 and nasa use composite carbon fiber parts.

If you have any other questions or statements feel free to pm me. I'll be happy to clear up anything.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to know, there is plenty of information online. I am not going to sit here and debate. Directional strength is one of the most basic characteristics of carbon fiber and it is a legitimate question to ask. If you are looking for an argument, look elsewhere Stephen.

- - - Updated - - -

Liftnot, is Greg number one so would I be number two? I am just trying to see if we can make 5.

Not looking to argue, looking to explain to people that know nothing but pretend to do so.

Stephen I already know everything that you said. All the examples you gave are with the carbon being strong in certain directions when layed in a certain way, and I wanted to know more about that process with this beam. I would have been happy to have more of a discussion about it, but I don't like the way you came at me so I just want to let it go. Let's please end it, this is a group buy thread and not a place for this. Liftnot, my apologies.

Last edited:
Turbo, I'm interested in this too, that would make 3. I currently do not run a rear bumper beam and this would fix that safety issue without adding the 24lbs back.

If the part is even just 50% as strong at 1/8th the weight then I can't complain. Although I feel because of the characteristic of carbon to absorb that it's even a better bumper beam than the oem beam itself in lower speed impacts, might save the frame from getting the force right away. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself here but feel free to correct me. Either way, for me, 3lb carbon rear beam is a whole lot better than NO rear beam.

Last edited:
turbo2go,

Based off what Ive seen from alot of race cars the foam is actually inside the part giving it structural rigidity. In most cases, while I'm not to sure how it would work with prepeg, a split mold design would require adding the expandable foam before mating the different pieces of the mold, thus enclosing it inside the actual part. From a structural standpoint in the event of a crash alot of high density foam can take a thrashing. I'll have to try to find a pdf that I can pm you but it shows shear tests of different densities of foam and I was even shocked as to what type of loads they can take on.

Back