• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Prestige and esteem among other rich folks"

I think it's a hard argument to win to call a Mercedes or BMW a non-luxury car in America, but that doesn't change that the behavior from the OP's salesman or a few (not all) douchy shallow owners is hilariously laughable. :)

Yes, I have to agree with that. It seems like the salesman has bought into their own marketing completely. Or maybe he is just being the stereotypical car salesman. The tone of my post was intended to be "Yeah, you make some great cars, but you ain't all that". I found their US marketing image funny once I saw how things are in the rest of the world. Go to some end of the world location and you see beat up POS Mercedes work trucks chugging away. Like your friend says, they last forever and are everywhere for good reason. And as someone else posted, I'm not sure that having an entry level class of cars helps their image. I can just picture someone buying a C class for the image and being crushed because the A class owners look their noses at them. I just find it hilarious that a person would spend that much money based on hoping to impress someone else instead of buying what they would enjoy the most themselves.

The original picture isn't coming though.

Can you post a text version of the MB salesman being...a MB salesman. :D

attachment.php
Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_5132_zpsintqrtro.jpg
    IMG_5132_zpsintqrtro.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 628
"...cachet that Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Audi have..."

WHAT 'cachet'?!? They're nothing more than European-made Chevrolets....LOL!

I, personally, would take a Hyundai Equus over any German-built luxury sedan.

Lexus = over-priced Toyota

This guy is drinking his own Kool-Aid...

...and somebody needs to remind him that he who slings mud, looses ground.

Last edited:
"...cachet that Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Audi have..."

WHAT 'cachet'?!? They're nothing more than European-made Chevrolets....LOL!

I, personally, would take a Hyundai Equus over any German-built luxury sedan.

Lexus = over-priced Toyota

This guy is drinking his own Kool-Aid...

...and somebody needs to remind him that he who slings mud, looses ground.

he says what he says because it's true, and it works...

The truth is the vast majority of people buying high end cars (and especially so with Mercedes) think that way - they are paying extra for prestige and exclusivity and really couldn't give a rat's ass about the technology that makes their car "better".

2015 is absolutely correct. why do you guys think the Acura nameplate exists to begin with? and Lexus, and Infiniti? because people won't buy $80,000 Toyota's in America.

you're all seriously in denial if you think the prestige of the brand doesn't matter for people with money. your precious first generation NSX's would have been "Honda's" in north America if people didn't care, just like every other country in the world where people don't care...

In Europe It's a Honda! and i love that! It is with pride that if people ask me what I drive, I say an Honda.

which is the reason my car has an "H" on the front and back of it...

"...you're all seriously in denial if you think the prestige of the brand doesn't matter for people with money...

...and then there are those "in the know" less ignorant gullible sheep that buy what we want because we don't care what others think.

Marketing, not unlike religion, is regarded as false by the wise, true by the masses, and helpful by the leaders...or salespeople, in this case.

Personally, I think "drug dealer" or "pimp" when I see a Mercedes Benz...YMMV.

Last edited:
I walked in to the Aston Martin dealership in Miami with my father and the salesman was a true enthusiast. When my dad asked him what he would buy for $100,000 the salesman said the new Z06...and that's what my dad bought.

I have always seen two types of car buyers, those that buy for performance and those that buy for the brand name. Same with clothes, etc.

I spent 400K on a new LFA last week not giving two SHIITS about brand name or what other people think. Lots of cars available for that coin, but for me the LFA is a gorgeous, iconic car that competes with the P1, LaFerrari, Veyron and 918 all of which are all limited production carbon fiber, bespoke super cars. Just because it's Japenese basically means it will be more reliable and cost less to maintain in the long run. After spending ridiculous amount of money on Ferrari maintenance over the pat. 10 years I am over their bullshiit engineering. The new NSX is a phenomenal car and in a year, or two will be fully appreciated by any non brand car enthusiast. Believe me, a lot of the guys that buy Ferraris and Lambos, are just posers who are clueless about cars and just want to say they own that particular brand.

- - - Updated - - -

I spent 400K on a new LFA last week not giving two SHIITS about brand name or what other people think. Lots of cars available for that coin, but for me the LFA is a gorgeous, iconic car that competes with the P1, LaFerrari, Veyron and 918 all of which are all limited production carbon fiber, bespoke super cars. Just because it's Japenese basically means it will be more reliable and cost less to maintain in the long run. After spending ridiculous amount of money on Ferrari maintenance over the pat. 10 years I am over their bullshiit engineering. The new NSX is a phenomenal car and in a year, or two will be fully appreciated by any non brand car enthusiast. Believe me, a lot of the guys that buy Ferraris and Lambos, are just posers who are clueless about cars and just want to say they own that particular brand.

- - - Updated - - -

I could not have said it better. Japanese have a way of perfecting things. Good note.

it needs a tubi and cat delete:biggrin:

I could not have say it better myself.....a lots of poser for sure, dont appreciate Good Engineering!

Bram

LFA is amazing machine. Congrats on the purchase - enjoy it as much as you can.

Below is the "problem" I would have when considering to buy one.

1377402.jpg

LFA is amazing machine. Congrats on the purchase - enjoy it as much as you can.

Below is the "problem" I would have when considering to buy one.

1377402.jpg

Totally different types of machines. One's digital, and the other's analog!!! I'm old school, I went analog. Lots of owners here of both the NSX and GT, for good reason!!!

Totally different types of machines. One's digital, and the other's analog!!! I'm old school, I went analog. Lots of owners here of both the NSX and GT, for good reason!!!
Absolutely. I wouldn't afford to spend 400k on digital experience ;)

Congrats. How many miles do you plan on putting it? I would love to see a reliability study for Toyota's V10. I think it'll never happen tho as it's really limited in production.

Absolutely. I wouldn't afford to spend 400k on digital experience ;)

i don't think it's fair to label the LFA digital. it's a screaming V10 with a single clutch gearbox for starters.

definitely not old school, but definitely not GTR computer game style either.

i'm a fan of both cars, but i'd prefer the LFA. the sound of that engine is the finest thing on the automotive earth! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

With all due respect, in what categories does an LFA compete with the cars you mentioned?

Back