• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Really torn... NSX or Supra? (i've owned BOTH)

Re: REALLY TORN... NSX or SUPRA? (i've owned BOTH)

93.5 said:
i really could do both...

say a nice low mile auto supra tt would only be $20000

and a nice 91 NSX for $30000

i just don't want $50000 tied up in 2 cars i never drive...

makes me feel like there is a better way to invest my money...

If you don't need big hp, then NSX is far more fun to drive than Supra.

Supra + NSX for $50k is not bad at all, many new cars cost more than $50k new. If you are not going to have time to drive much, just get the NSX.

Last edited:
I'll be the dissenting opinion:

If you are going to get one car, get the Supra. The people that matter here (i.e. you) are 3.5x as likely to get a Supra VS NSX. There has to be a reason. I have no idea what it is, but that doesn't matter.

If it will stop you from flipping cars every 6 minutes, get both. At the very least, you are paying a lot of tax by flipping them.

yeah i'm done swapping cars every
few months.

it's a pain to buy and sell them all the time.

i AM going to get the NSX...

thanks for the insight.

i asked the supra guys too - they really didn't give any good
thought like you did (they all said, Supra is fast, easy to mod,
NSX is not)

but there's much more to it to me than that.

NSX it is.

SEARCHING for a pretty low mile

91-94 NSX with all maintenance and
maybe rims/exhaust.

thanks!!!

The first Supra that pulls up to you at the redlight or on a highway roll :eek: and waists you :biggrin: You will need to "Factor X" it or get another Supra. By the time you spend the money at Factor X you could have kept your insanely high horse power Super and the NSX. The fear of this happening to me makes me glad that I have both the NSX and the Supra. Let us know if you ever get another Supra. :smile:

i hear that ;)

i really NEVER race and
there are no nice and modded cars around here
that would give me any "trouble"

a BONE STOCK NSX or STOCK SUPRA would
be one of the most rare and nice cars around here
(SE MISSOURI) :)

i don't have to worry about getting smoked by anyone really...

the NSX is more what i need for just staring at and cruising :)

Yea, I understand... you could say my NSX is for cruising too. The Supra is like my beater.....or is it punisher. :eek: :biggrin:

mackash said:
The first Supra that pulls up to you at the redlight or on a highway roll :eek: and waists you :biggrin: You will need to "Factor X" it or get another Supra. By the time you spend the money at Factor X you could have kept your insanely high horse power Super and the NSX. The fear of this happening to me makes me glad that I have both the NSX and the Supra. Let us know if you ever get another Supra. :smile:

Probably the ONLY thing that makes me happy I'm as OLD as I am now :frown: :rolleyes: is that I don't feel the need to do any "stoplight racing" anymore. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Probably the ONLY thing that makes me happy I'm as OLD as I am now :frown: :rolleyes: is that I don't feel the need to do any "stoplight racing" anymore. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
:frown: Poor Guy :frown: :wink:

93.5....I feel some ppl have responded a little harshly to your question. It is a good comparison, as both cars have alot to offer. I had a '99 SC300 Lexus that we turbocharged (that was the least of it), as i'm sure you know this is the same platform as the Supra so I can compare it with the NSX. Here's the pros and cons as I see it. Oh, and before anyone flames the crap out of me...this is only for comparison between the two.

NSX Pros:
1. Simply a beautiful car, plain as that. If there's no HSC, this one's a classic.
2. Tons of attention...they don't know it's a 13 yr old Honda :).
3. Handling is fantastic right out of the box, even better w/ correct upgrades.
4. Most agree it's the most reliable 'exotic' you can get, mine's a daily driver.
5. Mine was actually slightly cheaper to insure if you can believe that.
6. Excellent road feel, you are connected, no PS in early cars.

NSX Cons:
1. Not nearly as fast as it looks, and very expensive to make it so.
2. NO torque, can't even take off in 2nd gear if that's your thing.
3. These cars are lowww, i'm 31 and feel like an old man getting in/out :).
4. Speaking of low, it's more like driving a minefield. Driveways? Fogetaboutit.
5. It's so nice you may find yourself paranoid parking it anywhere...I do.
6. Good NSX service can be sparse depending on where you live (see #7).
7. 1st car a dealer returned to me because they couldn't perform the work.
8. Some parts are quite expensive for these cars.
9. Less 'practical' compared to the Supra, less comfy, less room.
10. Requires much more attention to drive at high speed, the Supra/SC platform feels like it's doing 80 when it's doing 140, the NSX feels like it's doing 140 when it's doing 80 mph.

Supra/Soarer/SC300 Pros:
1. Super reliable as well, no issues.
2. The 2JZ-GTE is almost bulletproof with proper tuning.
3. Enough power with bolt-ons to make you a local hero.
4. Enough power with a big single that it should be a sin. Mine made 585rwhp and had a torque curve like the top of Herman Munster's head. Broke loose through the first three gears, went completely sideways on the 1-2 pretty regularly. I was beating ZX-9's with it...what more could you want?
5. Parts are cheap, a whole GTE short block from Toyota is 2 grand.

Supra/Soarer/SC300 Cons:
1. While the Supra drivetrain is very well sorted (the Getrag will handle well over 800hp, Torsen LSD, brakes are excellent) traction is a different story...the NSX has excellent grip with the engine practically on top of the drive wheels and the balance of the midship engine configuration...matter of fact I find it's very very capable in the rain. I've lost track of how many 800hp 12-sec Supras there are, that's crazy to me.
2. There are alot of kids out there with these cars, some may find they've reached a point in their life where they want something more exclusive. Remember, they pump out more 350Z's in three months than the entire 14 year production run of NSX's (I believe NSXstacy had that figure). I also feel that when the F+F hype dies down that these cars will drop down to where they should be (could be wrong), whereas the early NSX's depreciation cycle is through.
3. Pretty porky for a sports car, weight is more like a Grand Tourer.

I'll be curious to see what the new Skyline and Supra bring to the table.

- Jon

Attachments

• Lexus motor.JPG
    Lexus motor.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 349
"10. Requires much more attention to drive at high speed, the Supra/SC platform feels like it's doing 80 when it's doing 140, the NSX feels like it's doing 140 when it's doing 80 mph."

You are joking right? :D With a statement like the above, makes me question the validity of the rest of your comparison.

NSX-Tuner said:
You are joking right? :D With a statement like the above, makes me question the validity of the rest of your comparison.

Heh, I knew someone would say something about that. I should clarify...I lost my objectivity and referred to my specific car on that one....it's jittery on the Tein RE's as i'm sure others can attest. I have driven an NSX with stock suspension though and while it's much smoother than the Teins it is definitely not as comfortable at speed as the Toyota. I know it's hard to imagine that being the case...but it is. In my JZZ31 I was literally changing a CD at 140 mph...it was smooth as butter and I felt very much in control. The NSX is much lower and agressively damped, while i'm sure it has more grip and balance at triple digit speeds, it is not as smooth or comfortable at speed and gives a sensation of travelling faster than you are. I've only had my NSX up to 140 so far but I can tell you I felt less confident than I did in the Toyota. I was also suprised/dissapointed. I'm changing suspension soon (already have the parts) so i'll revisit this once i've had a chance to drive it on the new setup.

From owning 2 NSXs and
6 or 7 Supras i agree with everything you said.

It's actually fun to list the pros and cons and see which
one youd rather have overall.

i'm SURE it's the NSX -

i like the exotic look and feel -
its more of a "weekend, exotic feeling" car than a supra is...

and that's what it will be used for - a weekend or 2 a month.

ANYONE see any nice NSXs ;)

LOW MILES - maintained, and maybe some rims and an exhaust.

Let me caveat this by saying this is just my opinion...

I'm not a big fan of high spoilers on the back of cars; they look "rigged" to me. IMO, there is not a cleaner lined car built than the NSX. Maybe that's why it's been unchanged for so long. I think it's line and body flow is very near perfection.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree... an amazingly designed car, inside and out... but not perfect either... this is called character... :D

Good comparison?? What value does that statment have if an NSX and a Supra can be the subjects?

With that rational a shoe and a pair of pants could be the subjects of a "good comparison" They both have Good qualitys right? I dont think that a comparison can be considered "good" only because both subjects of that comparison have pros.

Maybe its me thats lost....

I did ask my brother if he wanted to sell his 93 TT Baltic Blue 6sp with only 11,000 miles - Stock...............At this time no, but I'll let you know if he ever changes his mind!

Danny

My story of the Supra

When the Supra came out in 1994 I read an article in Car and Driver that made me tingle. So much so I had my father drive me down to the Toyota dealer, who happened to have a red non-turbo out front. I was 16 years old, and after they let me sit in it I said to myself "I am going to own one of these".

Well, my first car was a 1982 Pontiac Firebird, which I proudly paid for myself! Burger king paid $5.35/hr :biggrin:

I am now an old man (27!) and I could get a Supra, but it just doesn't have the panache that it did back then. Why is that? The car is fast as hell, and it does handle just as well. The SCCA Solo2 rules have the Supra TT and NSX both in A Stock. That said, for autocross they are comparable. I feel that on a more open course the Supra's power would be too much for an NSX. However, that is all theory. Both cars are blistering fast; certainly fast enough for street driving.

The reasons I prefer the NSX:

1. It is *Not* forced induction
  2. It's styling is much nicer
  3. Did I say it was nice looking?
  4. The NSX is technically better, aluminum construction, titanium rods, etc.

However, in writing this post I have felt a rekindling of feeling for the Supra. The principle reasons I don't care for the Supra anymore:

1. Is that a Supra or a Celica?
  2. Too many people made their cars look like Fast an Festival
  3. Finding a clean one seems daunting

Well.. Thank you for your time.. After mulling this over, I think I have to throw the Supra back into the mix what to look at.. I am still in love with them.

-Jeremy

Back