• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an NSX or Viper?

Viper of course. You pretty much can beat every car out there in a straight line until you hit a wall or fly off the cliff. When it does fly, it probably will fly farther than everything else. If your heart says Viper but your mind says NSX, then I don't know since the mind is somewhat spiritual and the heart practical. I usually follow my brain but, depending if you have one, you might just need to follow some other organs. There are times that my loin takes over my brain when the latter gets less blood flow. I always thought that the Viper does compensate some shortcomings like always wanting to burn some ass punks in the Mustang or ass punks in those ricer NSX.
Steve

Viper of course. You pretty much can beat every car out there in a straight line until you hit a wall or fly off the cliff. When it does fly, it probably will fly farther than everything else. If your heart says Viper but your mind says NSX, then I don't know since the mind is somewhat spiritual and the heart practical. I usually follow my brain but, depending if you have one, you might just need to follow some other organs. There are times that my loin takes over my brain when the latter gets less blood flow. I always thought that the Viper does compensate some shortcomings like always wanting to burn some ass punks in the Mustang or ass punks in those ricer NSX.
Steve

LOL Too funny Steve:biggrin:

5.jpg

DodgeViperSRT10P40GlossBlack1920-3.jpg

Again, Get both, orange, with dark wheels .. :D

I wasn't going to get involved here, but just couldn't resist jumping in. I heard a lot of post here that sound like "you've disrespected my beloved NSX and therefore you don't deserve one... Get a Viper". Now, no one said that, but that's what I heard. Here's how I see it. It's not about the car, it's about the owner. If a thundering monster under your butt is what turns you on, by all means, get the Viper, or better yet, a Cobra (not that Mustang thing)! They are awesome machines! But if refine beauty, fantastic handling and the primal scream of a VTEC at 8000 RPM is what floats your boat, you need to get the NSX! Remember for a bucket load of cash you can go forced induction and get more HP out of the NSX than the snake. You say the NSX looks are boring, I say timeless! To me it is the most beautiful car in the world. Let's face it both cars will turn heads! The Viper will turn men's heads, and the NSX will turn womens (Oh, oh, now I'm in trouble LOL). Read the article below, and see what Mario Andretti had to say about both cars. It will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt9906.htm

Now about this two wives thing... Uh, never mind:biggrin:.

Gary

Last edited:
The 2 are so totally different that you should drive both and decide for yourself. In my book there's no comparison. The Viper has a truck's engine, neon dashboard parts and depends on massive tires for it's traction. Sure the power is great, but depending on the model year you pick - I think you'd get tired of it very quickly.

The NSX on the other hand would be a car you can enjoy every day, in every situation and we won't have to make fun of your silly Dodge clown car if we see you driving a Viper.

Well depends on where you are located,, the Viper has no AC, no radio, sounds like crap,, they offered the AC and radio on special orders, so they are not standard, cant get parts for them, and if you do happen to get parts for it your repair bill will be in a class above Ferrari, A guy I know not a friend of mine had one,, his was in the shop and his buddy let him borrow his NSX till it was fixed,,
he got it back from the shop sold the car now he has an NSX,, he said its like night and day,, now about the NSX,, the parts for the NSX are still expensive but not as bad as the VIPER,, the NSX is a Daily Driver and you will have more fun on the road with it since it will actually be running and not in the shop,, Fuel economy Blows the viper outta the water, More color choices than Viper, its made by Honda, not DODGE THAT PURCHASE,, and if you have ever been to a car show while an NSX is next to a VIPER the NSX steals the show,, Every Viper owner I have seen have been 70+ years old, and the only other viper i saw was a young guy looked like the mechanic test driving the customers car,, the viper is cool to those NASCAR Fans,, but in the real world the NSX is the winner,, thats my Bias opinion though

Having owned 4 vipers in the last 5 years, I have to disagree with you on some points. The acr viper does not come with ac or radio, all other vipers do. Yes, the common notion that most vipers are around 70 years old is not all that true. Before I bought my first viper in 05, a met up with the socal viper club. I was pkeasantly surprised to find there were owners of a broad range of ages. The youngest in our group is about 25 years old and yes there are older guys as well. I was also pleasantly suprised at the ethnic diversity, and these guys welcomed me with open arms. Yes, the exhaust isn't the nicest sounding one out there. Many have commented on it idling like a ups truck! But you gotta remember, this si an american muscle car! I love the popping, girgling sound when you ease off the throttle.my 99 gts had 450hp, my 0f 505hp, and my 09 600hp stock. With the cats, headers, exhaust, cai and other goodies, I was able to get quite a bit more hp. Also, the viper was my daily driver! I too had a difficult time deciding between a viper and an nsx. Two great cars at opposite ends of the spectrum.you can get a great deal on an older viper nowadays, thus opening the door for younger buyers. Bottom line is you have to thoink what your looking for in a car. I do miss all the power and torque in my vipers, but I do love the refinement of the nsx.I'm going to do some forced induction on my nsx down the line, although it won't be as fast as the viper, it'll be just fine for me. One other note, the viper cockpit does get quite warm, particularly in the older models, though dodge reduced cabin heat in 08 and up models. 2010 will be the last year of the current model, a new redigned model is scheduled for 2012 with fiat input. Should be quite interesting. Ill be waiting for that one, but in the meantime, ill enjoy my newly aquired nsx :). Good luck in your decision.

Bat

.......I heard a lot of post here that sound like "you've disrespected my beloved NSX and therefore you don't deserve one... Get a Viper". Now, no one said that, but that's what I heard.......

Now about this two wives thing... Uh, never mind:biggrin:.

rofl.gif

Compared to the other car forums alot of NSX owners are very emotionally sensitive about matters regarding their characters and the NSX.

batman.gif

My vote goes for the NA1 NSX for the following reasons:

- No weight adding/chassis flexing targa top
- Extra $$$ to do the stroker kit and/or new SOS supercharger
- The Honda is still around and here to stay
- Keep the demand of the NSX up while the supply is slowly dwindling

2twocents.gif

.......Many have commented on it idling like a ups truck! But you gotta remember, this si an american muscle car!...Bat

I heard that the reason why the Viper exhaust note sounds so horrible is that there are 2 pistons that fire at the same time.

This true?

Both Mustang and LSx engines sound better with X-pipes IMHO.

-Bat

I heard that the reason why the Viper exhaust note sounds so horrible is that there are 2 pistons that fire at the same time.

This true?

Both Mustang and LSx engines sound better with X-pipes IMHO.

-Bat

I don't think so. The strange exhaust note is caused by an odd firing sequence. See below:

"The V10 can be considered to be constructed by mating two even firing straight-5 engines together. The straight 5 engine shows first and second order rocking motion. Here it should be assumed that the crankshaft with low second order vibration is used and the first order is balanced by a balance shaft. By mating the straight-5 banks at 90 degrees and using 5 throws the balance shafts balance each other and become null. The firing sequence is odd (BMW M5, Dodge Viper). Using an 18° split journal crankshaft the firing order can be made even, and the two balancer shaft do not balance each other completely, but are combined into a single very small balance shaft (Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford 6.8 V10). Using a 5 throw crankshaft and 72° bank angle the firing order can be made even, and the two balancer shafts do not balance each other completely, but are combined into a single small balance shaft. A 36° degree bank angle and a 108° flying arm crankshaft would allow even firing without a balance shaft and smaller counterweights, but are impractical.
The V10 configuration is not an inherently balanced design like a straight-6 or V12 or a flat-6 or a straight-8 or a crossplane V8 (ignoring the counterweights) and does still have a small second order rocking motion, which can only be compensated by two additional balance shafts."

Gary

Last edited:
First let me say that I think the girl on the right use to be a man, and HE was in my 8th grade Gym class,, the Asian chick has a nice bod but thats it,, and that pic of the Viper was an extreme case of Ricer, but its an american car,, ugly,, and the Jessica Beil Pics was to hot for me to comment on!! my ex-girlfriend's cousin dated Jessica Beil,, yummy,,, the Co-CO pic she looks like a striper that failed

92NSX Im shocked with your comment, Ever made????? really? it is your opinion though as is mine

92NSX Im shocked with your comment, Ever made????? really? it is your opinion though as is mine

Shawn - after a while you'll get to understand these guys and when they are totally "tonque in cheek" ok, 92NSX was totally not serious! I would venture a guess that any of the guys that said "buy a viper" are not serious. We have seen this question so many times. Hence the photo with the caption " oh no not this shit again". Right, so worry not we're all solidly in the NSX corner! I think I can safely say I'm speaking for 99% of the guys here.

Dude, is it too much to ask that we keep unmarked threads fairly safe to open at work?

Sorry, i don't post random girls pics like that, this time I had to do it ... sorry offended you ...

You have to know that the ladies we have here on Prime will probably wonder what heck with this thread. Got to have some tough skin as a lady member here. Hope we don't run em off.

I'm not offended, I'm just glad my boss wasn't looking over my shoulder. It might have bothered her a bit.

Time/place and all that, ya know?

I was under the impression that just even looking at a site that is not work related is NWS, or should I say a career limiting move.................

I don't think so. The strange exhaust note is caused by an odd firing sequence. See below:

"The V10 can be considered to be constructed by mating two even firing straight-5 engines together. The straight 5 engine shows first and second order rocking motion. Here it should be assumed that the crankshaft with low second order vibration is used and the first order is balanced by a balance shaft. By mating the straight-5 banks at 90 degrees and using 5 throws the balance shafts balance each other and become null. The firing sequence is odd (BMW M5, Dodge Viper). Using an 18° split journal crankshaft the firing order can be made even, and the two balancer shaft do not balance each other completely, but are combined into a single very small balance shaft (Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford 6.8 V10). Using a 5 throw crankshaft and 72° bank angle the firing order can be made even, and the two balancer shafts do not balance each other completely, but are combined into a single small balance shaft. A 36° degree bank angle and a 108° flying arm crankshaft would allow even firing without a balance shaft and smaller counterweights, but are impractical.
The V10 configuration is not an inherently balanced design like a straight-6 or V12 or a flat-6 or a straight-8 or a crossplane V8 (ignoring the counterweights) and does still have a small second order rocking motion, which can only be compensated by two additional balance shafts."

Gary
The Wiki doesn't do a great job describing it, but essentially the Viper V-10 is just a V-8 with two extra pistons and slight tweaks to the original crankshaft. The firing order is really strange.. the 9 and 10 pistons fire one after the other (just like the firing order on a regular Dodge V-8) which is the majority of the exhaust note problem.

For comparison, the Viper fires 1-10-9-4-3-6-5-8-7-2, whereas the V-10 in the BMW M5 fires 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9 (and produces a MUCH better, more refined exhaust note). The V-10 is an inherently unbalanced engine (which the Wiki you copy/pasted says), and requires a firing sequence that can try to correct that imbalance.

Back