• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an NSX or Viper?

I had the same question about 6 months ago. I bought the NSX. I like the looks better, it handles 10x better and driver visibility is much better. Also a little more leg room (can't adjust the seats in a Viper, so if your short, good luck reaching the pedals) and you can hear yourself think when driving. My friends Viper is a 97 R/T with full edlebrock ehaust/headers, k&n CAI and has been tuned. It's lethal fast (495rwhp,535rwtq), fun to drive and gets LOTS of attention wherever you go, but you can feel it wanting to get toooo sideways anytime you corner quick. It's a raw car, no ABS or TCS, but torquey as hell which makes it really fun in a straight line. It all depends on you own personal style, I would rather the car with the ability to take corners, still be civil day to day driving, and handle more power if added. The Viper is a very nice car, but not my style. To each there own and best of luck with the decision.

That's one thing I didn't like about the viper. Very little room for seat adjustablity. The cockpit is cramped. As far as shorter people are concerned, there is a switch below the steering column in which you can adjust the pedal height. A very nice touch.

Bat

Thanks all for all your considerate comments. For the rest of you that hurt my feelings... I hope you get gonorrhea. :biggrin: What movie is that from? For the ones that are so sure that I should buy a "viper" have you owned both cars? Then how do you know you wouldn't like OWNING viper? I didn't say just driving your friends... Would you have been less offended if I said, NSX or 911? or NSX or Ferrari, or Lambo? So, have you owned both or another car of this caliber (and by caliber, I mean both the size of the gun barrels...) and why should I get the NSX? I'm only asking if you want to tell me, no one is putting a gun to your head to write a mean post so that you're annoyed, just don't answer. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
So, everyone else that was nice, thank you. In your opinion, what is the best part of the NSX? Is it the handling, the acceleration, the styling, the breaking ect... what is it that you like you so much? I'm really not comparing apples to oranges here, my criteria for my purchase is based on how much fun I will have with it, a purely subjective criterion. Let's face it, there is nothing reasonable about buying these types of cars. If I wanted to be reasonable, I'd buy a Corolla or Civic, and I would never have gotten married without a prenup. I loved the two girls analogy by the way. Since I won't cheat on my wife (too expensive) this would seem like the next best thing. So, what kind of girl is the NSX? Is she expensive to maintain? I hear about the reliability like an accord, is that true? How about if you get into minor fender bender, should I just throw it out at that point or is it worth fixing?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks all for all your considerate comments. For the rest of you that hurt my feelings... I hope you get gonorrhea. :biggrin: What movie is that from? For the ones that are so sure that I should buy a "viper" have you owned both cars? Then how do you know you wouldn't like OWNING viper? I didn't say just driving your friends... Would you have been less offended if I said, NSX or 911? or NSX or Ferrari, or Lambo? So, have you owned both or another car of this caliber (and by caliber, I mean both the size of the gun barrels...) and why should I get the NSX? I'm only asking if you want to tell me, no one is putting a gun to your head to write a mean post so that you're annoyed, just don't answer. <o>:p></o>:p>
<o>:p></o>:p>
So, everyone else that was nice, thank you. In your opinion, what is the best part of the NSX? Is it the handling, the acceleration, the styling, the breaking ect... what is it that you like you so much? I'm really not comparing apples to oranges here, my criteria for my purchase is based on how much fun I will have with it, a purely subjective criterion. Let's face it, there is nothing reasonable about buying these types of cars. If I wanted to be reasonable, I'd buy a Corolla or Civic, and I would never have gotten married without a prenup. I loved the two girls analogy by the way. Since I won't cheat on my wife (too expensive) this would seem like the next best thing. So, what kind of girl is the NSX? Is she expensive to maintain? I hear about the reliability like an accord, is that true? How about if you get into minor fender bender, should I just throw it out at that point or is it worth fixing?<o>:p></o>:p>
The animosity didn't come from your comparison, it came from the fact that both cars need to be EXPERIENCED before you (the potential buyer) can make an informed decision. I could talk all day long about the razor sharp steering feel of the NSX or how the IMAX-like view out of the cockpit is in every way superior to the Viper, but once you sit in the cars you'll know right away.

There is a lot of information on this website about maintenance costs of the NSX, but by and large other than the timing belt/water pump maintenance (which is 90K / 7 years), it is extremely low maintenance. There is a healthy amount of aftermarket support of the car and OEM parts are still available. The aluminum body and frames make repairs much more expensive, but that is what insurance is for.

What is your price range so we know what cars we are comparing? Vipers go from 25k to over 100k. They have made some serious changes over the years. RT-10, GTS, SRT-10, SRT-10C…

I am not sure why so many people here think the Viper is a straight line only car. It currently holds the Nurburging and Willow Springs lap records. It is not a muscle car but rather a race car for the street. It is definitely not for everyone as it is brute. It is almost the exact opposite of the NSX. I think that is the reason why so many people here do not like it.

What is your price range so we know what cars we are comparing? Vipers go from 25k to over 100k. They have made some serious changes over the years. RT-10, GTS, SRT-10, SRT-10C…

I am not sure why so many people here think the Viper is a straight line only car. It currently holds the Nurburging and Willow Springs lap records. It is not a muscle car but rather a race car for the street. It is definitely not for everyone as it is brute. It is almost the exact opposite of the NSX. I think that is the reason why so many people here do not like it.

Alot of NSX owners think that the NSX is the supreme being of cars.

They have a bumper sticker for just about every car out there as to why the NSX is superior.

Some examples:

"Don't blow up like a FD"
"Viper? Geico Caveman car of the year"
"Corvette? Geico Caveman car of the year..... runner up." (and the valves break, etc.)
"It's a smartman's Ferrari"
"It doesn't depreciate like a Lambo/R8"
"MKIV? jellybean/turtle with a handlebar"

A NSX might be more expensive to repair due to it being all aluminum, but a 1st/2nd gen viper clam shell hood cost $15K for the hood alone and is enough to total the car out if its cracked in multiple spots. The 3rd gen's have a more conventional hood and have a much nicer interior compared to the 1st/2nd gen ( its all relative ). The 1st gen doesn't even have roll down windows.

Here's a thought. Don't kid yourself. Speed is an addiction! Just like drugs, once you start you will need more and more. HP will never satisfy. On the other hand, precise handling, timeless beauty and superb engineering is more satisfying over time. Does that make sense to anyone except me? Does that sound like sour grapes? I hope not. I've heard Primers say that the NSX is a slow machine. Really? The first time I punched my NSX it scared me to death! I must admit that after a while it doesn't seem as fast. Time for another fix (mod). It will be that way with a Viper as well, I suspect. The girl on the right looked pretty amazing, but would you marry her? To me, she's the Viper, hardly timeless beauty. As I read this, perhaps I had one too many margaritas at the club. Enjoy the ride.

Gary

My 99 GTS 450hp:

if6.jpg

stripes6.jpg

06 Coupe 505hp:

IMGP8598.jpg

IMGP8595.jpg

vprpc4.jpg

vprpc7.jpg

09 coupe 600hp:

vpr096.jpg

_DSC3525-2.jpg

_DSC3560-2.jpg

_DSC3583-3.jpg

_DSC3607crop-2.jpg

Bat™

Gotta admit that last viper pic is pretty awesome. I'm sure it's a brute - but ask yourself this - how are you going to use it?

Most of us here like the NSX for a multitude of reasons - some of which have been mentioned here. But I believe there's another side of all this that's missing.

It's called livability. If for example you want to enjoy your car and drive it a lot - there is no way you are going to be driving a viper around to the store or as a daily. That's why you don't see them. They are the Sunday or Saturday cruiser. The NSX is so easy to drive and so comfortable and it's creature comforts are just right. Then when you have the chance it turns into a race car on the street. It's just as easy to drive fast as it is to take it to the store for a short run.

For me the pleasure of a car can only truly be experienced if you are pretty much using it as a daily. Or at least a fair weather daily; then you get to drive it as it was meant to be used. When you do a little reading about the NSX you find that it was designed as an all round vehicle - not something you just tracked although it's a great track car. Not something you just take to the mountains for only spirited runs but it does that so well you wish your drive home every day was thru the canyons or mountain roads cause it is so much fun to drive in the twisties and yet it is just as comfy a car as you can want for a pleasurable drive wherever you're going.

It's that all round drivability for all ocassions that makes the NSX such a wonderful car to own and drive all the time. My personal opinion is that the Viper is anything but that. It's a car you could take out to show at a meet or something. It's a car to be driven when you want some "serious" ball busting fun. It's a car to take to the track so you can "let the monster loose". Where in the world can you let that monster have just a pound of pedal on the street? On the street around town it would be an excersize in RESTRAINT at best. A loud monster that is on a short leash.

Is this making some sense. So what do you want out of your toy - a special car for special outings or something you can use everyday any way you want it and have a car that feels equally at home on the track? As I said - a rapier or a broadsword with not a lot of finesse.

Your choice - now go out and drive one already and see what we're talking about. Have fun with this - we're all enjoying this life we have and these cars sure can make it a fun trip. I tell you if you are not limited by budget - test drive a Ford GT - now there's a much more civilized ride that is plenty sexy and is sure nuf a monster too and yet you could daily drive it. I have a friend that does almost use it as a DD.

Adios.:smile:

They have a bumper sticker for just about every car out there as to why the NSX is superior.

Some examples:

"Corvette? Geico Caveman car of the year..... runner up." (and the valves break, etc.)

You stir the hornet's nest and you complain when people respond that they are too sensitive.

Your impression of NSX owners is as warped as your sense of humor. But it all adds flavor to the site, so keep it up.

To the OP, the somewhat negative reaction to your question is largely based on the fact that you have not driven either car.

I suggest you drive them both, as close together as you can.

I don't know what you expect us to tell you. They are very different machines, as you well know even without driving them.

The answer to the question of which is the right car for you is not fixed. It depends on what kind of car you want.

We can offer our insight, but ultimately you make the right choice if you buy the right car for you, which could be either or perhaps even both.

Thinking in terms of one car can be limiting. I used to have an E46 M3 and my NSX. I enjoyed my E46 M3, but I am much happier having turned it into an E28 M5 and a Subaru Outback XT.

Thank you all for your great responses. I agree that I need to drive both and that I think I'll know when I do. I just don't want to make a mistake when spending $50K. I almost feel like buying one after a "test" drive is like marrying after the first date. I wanted to get your opinions on the girl cause I know my emotions will be running high when I'm ready to pull the trigger. It seems like finding the right NSX is going to take some time! Again, some of you guys are really knowelgable and I appreciate your expertise. Thanks for adding value to this great forum.:smile:

You really could not be talking about two more different cars. Polar opposites. You should have NO problem deciding which is for you after a test drive.

My vipers were my daily drivers. Granted, it did take some getting used to driving those things on a daily basis, but I got so used to them, I loved driving them as my daily form of transportation. Now, if i
I owned an nsx and a Viper, my daily choice would be the nsx, and maybe drive the Viper friday through sunday :).

Bat

Cars are as different as night and day. Viper is raw pants fun with gobs of power. Problem is though it's difficult even for the most advanced drivers to tame and can become unenjoyable to drive on the track as a result. All that power is difficult to lay down to the pavement with the two bit fatties on the rear. My Audi sedan lays down as much as the majority of Vipers out there, but with the assistance of quattro AWD.

The NSX is simply stated one of the most refined vehicles going. Unfortunately it came underpowered which is one of the banes for many an NSX owner. On the track they outperform vehicles that are 15 years plus younger.

I wouldn't hesitate to go the route of the Viper if all I was doing was driving within the city and/of taking a hot date out on the town. I would hesitate from going the Viper route however if I was going on a nice weekend trip, taking the wife out to the theater or running around the track.

The Wiki doesn't do a great job describing it, but essentially the Viper V-10 is just a V-8 with two extra pistons and slight tweaks to the original crankshaft. The firing order is really strange.. the 9 and 10 pistons fire one after the other (just like the firing order on a regular Dodge V-8) which is the majority of the exhaust note problem.

For comparison, the Viper fires 1-10-9-4-3-6-5-8-7-2, whereas the V-10 in the BMW M5 fires 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9 (and produces a MUCH better, more refined exhaust note). The V-10 is an inherently unbalanced engine (which the Wiki you copy/pasted says), and requires a firing sequence that can try to correct that imbalance.

Here's a good 5 page website detailing the tehnical specifics of Engine Smoothness.

As others have opined, you really have to drive each car to make the correct personal decision. I wouldn't worry too much about it - once you drive each you'll pick the car that stirs your soul. ;)

You stir the hornet's nest and you complain when people respond that they are too sensitive.

Your impression of NSX owners is as warped as your sense of humor. But it all adds flavor to the site, so keep it up.

I'm fairly sure the poster you're referencing is on more member's "ignore" list now more than anyone else on here. Just my intuition.

Some examples:

Looks like some projections of inferiority complexes on others.
Steve

Girls pics were banned, sorry, some got offended :biggrin: .. is fine, although there was not NUDITY what so ever on those images .. oh well ...

Primers...I know it may sound silly to some of you considering that you are NSX owners or fans, but I am very torn on this issue. I don't have experience with either car (planning on driving both soon) but from the hours and hours of obsessing, this is what I've come to. I love the engineering and reliability aspect of the NSX. The F1 inspiration and quality build makes it great choice and the fact I don't have to worry about the car if I want to use it more than for a weekend driver makes me very happy. I'm only home on the weekends becuase I travel for my job, but I want to DRIVE my new toy. I will admit that the V6 is a turn off and the somewhat boring styling makes me wonder if I would be happier with a Viper. The Viper, with the massive V10 and unrefined manners make it also very appealing. I will admit that the viper is a little intimadating but I think that after racing school, I will be able to handle it. The thing that scares me about the viper is the reliability and the fact that Dodge makes it. There is probably a reason why you don't see many vipers with over 50,000 miles for sale. Will I feel like the NSX has enough power and not just refinement? I want to know that I can burn some punk teenager with a V8 Mustang. The problem is this, my heart says viper but my mind says NSX. Will my heart be happy with an NSX?

I have a 1991 supercharged nsx and a 2003 srt10 Viper...The nsx is 350 HP with the superharger and the Viper is 550 HP with a couple bolt ons...

They are both 90K cars....A 2005 nsx went for 89K and a 2010 Viper goes for 87K..

My 91 nsx was 50K back in 91 (equivalent to 100K by todays economy)and my 2003 Viper sold for 90K back in 2003..

The point Im trying to make is they are roughly the same price...

The nsx has a slightly nicer interior with more room..The SRT10 has nicer seats and a better overall race car driving posistion...

The nsx is easier to drive and just going to a drive through can make you feel like a lemans driver...The Viper is much harder to do such things in because the hood is long..While on the nsx you dont even see the hood from the drivers seat....

NSX has the engine in the back but it's a crappy looking engine for a 89K car...Viper has the engine in the traditional boreing front under hood posistion but it's a gorgeous engine lay out...

As far as handling the nsx is easier to drive fast and two average drivers pitted against one another ( one in the nsx the other in the srt10) and the nsx might edge the viper out on a road course..How ever with two pro drivers driving the nsx and srt10 viper the viper is easily much much faster around a road course..

Then theirs the most important element to me personally...The thing I hate about my nsx is that when you cruise up to a bunch of cars their will be S2000 guys and Supra guys who will show you little to no respect despite your car costing 2-3 times more then theirs did msrp vs msrp..And a S2000 with just a few mods or even close to stock Supra may be faster than your stock nsx...Just the way it is....They are not super fast cars..100-105 trapp speeds for NA1's and 105-110 mph trapp speeds for NA2's...

Your stock S2000 is gonna trap 96-101 and your stock Supra is gonna trap 101-106 mph....Meaning that it takes nonthing or just a few hundred bucks worth of boltons to have their 35K S2000 or 45K Supra just as fast or faster than your 89K nsx....Kinda hard to feel good about that and yes they and the 370 guys ect. will defiently rub your face in it one way or another...

With the 510 HP 2003-2006 SRT10 on the other hand....When you roll up to a bunch of S2000's or supras or camaros or vettes or mustangs or 370Z's or whatever it is..You get respect for your 87K car...It trapps 118-123 mph in the 1/4 mile and these cars need quite a bit of work to even give you a close run...Nonthing short of a 75K C6Z06/90K 2008 Viper or 120K 2009 ZR1 is gonna touch you in stock form....The 3 cars listed will beat your stock 2003-2006 viper..The 2009 ZR1 will run away...The 2008 Viper will run away...The 2006C6Z06 will put 2-3 cars on you by 150 mph...

But you will rarely see these cars..vrs the nsx were you will see S2000's and ect. all the time..

To me thats the decision maker..have your dream car that can back upo the dream now..Or your dream car that could back up the dream 10 years ago...Your choice

Back