• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Simple Question....

I've had my '92 auto nsx since september, and I'm really pleased with it, Hurrah! but, apart from having the noisiest ABS pump in the known universe, I have a simple query..

When the ignition is switched on, and all the warning lights illuminate to let you know they are working, does the 'petrol low' light come on aswell?

I've run the tank down a couple of times to the red, and seen no light, so I don't know if i'm not being brave enough in running it low or if the lamp isn't actually working...

my light doesn't come on until it is at the bottom of the red. At this point I still have a little over 2 gal of gas left. I sure the gas light does not comes on when you start the car. I had this same question when I got my car 16 months ago. you just have to be brave and run your car in the red a little longer. :smile:

does the 'petrol low' light come on aswell

No, there is no "burn out" of the low fuel light upon start up. Obviously they missed it during the design.

The light will only come on when you are sure that you have run out of fuel long ago and the needle is way below "empty"...but you still have another ~2 gal in the tank. The gauge is not linear at all...

You can activate the light as a test by messing with the tank sender wires behind the driver seat.

Drew

edit: BrianK is the defacto NSX electronics expert. I'm just a software puke.

Last edited:
The low fuel light is a LED and has nearly an unlimited life. So checking it on power up is really unnecessary. Be careful messing the wires to force the light on the sensor is a thermistor and it can get fried if you apply full power to it. With the tank low you may be able to get it to go on by parking a side hill.

I always run mine to the fuel light. Each and every time the tank will take 15 gallons at fill up, and since the tank holds 18 gallons so I still have an additional 75 miles on the tank until it runs dry. It made me very nervous the first time, and now I don't even think about it.

britlude said:
I've run the tank down a couple of times to the red, and seen no light, so I don't know if i'm not being brave enough in running it low or if the lamp isn't actually working...
It's easy to tell which is true. Here's how. Fill the tank. If it takes less than around 16 gallons, then you simply didn't run it low enough for the light to come on. (As Drew noted, the gauge needle will be below the red "empty" line when you reach that point.)

Hi,

I asked this when I got mine 6 months ago after a couple of tanks, you have to let it get way below the line (3mm or so) and it will do another 40 miles easily at this point when the light comes on!

Be brave...it will come on, then fade in and out for a bit, then after a few miles it will stay on!

Matt.

Back