• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, who's planning on buying the new NSX?

Just sayin...But what would you think they're going to do - figure out how to transversely mount a V10 in the car? I don't think so. Honda is very good at taking what they have in the parts bin

I have no idea what they're going to do.
It sounded like you knew so that's why I asked.
Was hoping for some facts

Last edited:
I have no idea what they're going to do.
It sounded like you knew so that's why I asked.
Was hoping for some facts

Oh, mistinterpretation - sorry. I wish I had some facts - I'm just a "wanna be" sooth sayer. That's my guess. I definitely do not think that it will be a V10 turned sideways. I was also wrong on my facts on the new GT3 - it has 475 hp and it revs to 9000 - not 8200. Wow - it's an incredible bench mark for natural aspiration. Something for the boys here that think the only way to build power is with SCs or Turbos - wrong. This hp made with a 3.8 - so I believe very positively that Honda can make 400 or more hp with a 3.7. Add some AWD and electric motors up front and you could easily get over 500 hp. That's enough to satisfy the need for speed.

My biggest curiousity is why we haven't seen more about it. This is part of the drama that helps sell cars and pump the marque - which in my opinion Honda/Acura really could use. I still have no clue why they would limit production? Almost makes you think Honda is going after exclusivity to build the drama like the LFA - it buffalos me.

The Porsche engine is a 107 mm bore 80 mm stroke engine. An oversquare engine with high revving capabilty like our C30/32
The Porsche makes its power with rpm like our Honda engines.
A Honda 1 liter 4 cylinder motorcyle engine can make 178 hp at 12 k rpm. Again a 55 mm short stroke engine making power with high rpm.
No question Honda can make power in their engines

But the characteristic of all these engines is short stroke for good reason - rpm is mechanically limited in an engine by (among other things) piston speed.
The longer the stroke the higher the piston speed which brings me back to the J37
The J37 has a 90 mm bore and 96 mm stroke. An undersquare engine without high revving capabilty (redline 6300 rpm).
Its a long stroke workhorse type engine.
So the mystery to me is how will Honda make enough power from a low revving long stroke engine to compete with the GT3?
Honda can certainly make a V6 with a 100 mm bore and 80 mm stroke like the Porsche.
What I dont know is whether they can do this with the J block?

If they intencd to use the J block then it would seem a lower revving turbo application is one way they can make enough power to be competitive.

If not the J block then is a renewed 90 degree C block in the works?

I believe the new formula I engine is to be a 1.6 Liter 90 degree turbo with a 15k rpm limit.
Honda has built engines like this before and if the rumopurs are true about a Honda return to F1 engines is their a new 90 degree V6 in the works.
Could this engine be a base for the new NSX engine?

Somewhere out there are answers to this and I'm hoping some prime memebrs can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
$2500 deposit ... Lol

Here in the UK they want (and have received) £5000.00 deposits against no firm UK spec or price and have over 25 deposits ...

Prime owners will buy at around $100-130k. Over here the number whilst similar will have a £ in front of it .... Meaning it costs $70k to ship it from the USA to the UK .... I don't think so

Still, it will keep them exclusive!

it has 475 hp and it revs to 9000 - not 8200. Wow - it's an incredible bench mark for natural aspiration. Something for the boys here that think the only way to build power is with SCs or Turbos - wrong. This hp made with a 3.8 - so I believe very positively that Honda can make 400 or more hp with a 3.7. Add some AWD and electric motors up front and you could easily get over 500 hp. That's enough to satisfy the need for speed.

My biggest curiousity is why we haven't seen more about it. This is part of the drama that helps sell cars and pump the marque - which in my opinion Honda/Acura really could use. I still have no clue why they would limit production? Almost makes you think Honda is going after exclusivity to build the drama like the LFA - it buffalos me.
If Porsche can get 475hp out of 3.8L, why only 400hp out of 3.7L for Honda?

So the mystery to me is how will Honda make enough power from a low revving long stroke engine to compete with the GT3?
Install a different crank (shorter stroke, higher-RPM) or add forced induction?

Install a different crank (shorter stroke, higher-RPM) or add forced induction?

I suppose you can put in a different, say 80 mm stroke crank in a J block but a 90 mm bore and 80 mm stroke is only a 3.1 liter engine.
Do you know if shortening the stroke that much causes other issues like piston length or block deck height?
You would have to bore the J block to 100 mm or more to get 3.8 liters.
I know the C block can be made into a 3.8 with increased bore and stroke.
Do you know if the J block can be bored out that large?

If the J block can't be bored and the C block is fini then you would be right, it would be FI for more power.

Guys I'm no mechanical engineer - I'm an architect, but I am sure that Honda can figure this mystery out with parts they have in the bin - but not matter how they do it I bet you it's a six cyliner engine and not a V8 or V10. All this bore and stroke stuff makes sense to me but I wouldn't pretend to second guess their awesome F1 engineers on how they'll get the power. If it sounds as good as the last 2 engines they built I'll be happy and if it has a combined HP of 500 I think we'll all be happy. Which ever engine it is, and I still think it will be a modified 3.7, they should be able to get all the hp they need. That's all I'm sayin. I just wish they'd come out with something we can talk about intelligently! It is fun to think on it but I for one want to see what they heck they're doing!

Britain

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/all-new-honda-nsx-available-for-order.html

All-New Honda NSX Available for Order in Britain, Would You Get It Without Seeing it?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 Categories: Honda, Honda / Acura NSX, New Cars, Reports, UK |

In a surprising move, Honda's UK arm announced today that it has opened a pre-order bank for the upcoming,
2nd generation NSX hybrid sports car. We say surprising as up until now, the Japanese carmaker has, only shown pre-production concept versions of the NSX, which will be marketed under the Acura brand in North America and China.

Honda said it did so because it the NSX "is already receiving unprecedented demand" in the United Kingdom, where potential buyers can place a deposit of £5,000 (equal to $7,650 and €5,850 at the current exchange rates) to be among the 1st to get behind the wheel of the hybrid model when it arrives in British showrooms in 2015.

"We are really pleased with the interest we’ve already seen for the new NSX," said Phil Crossman, Managing Director of Honda UK. "We are still 2 years away from the launch of the car and yet we’ve received over 20 deposits and that’s before we’ve even announced prices or seen the final production car. With this process in place we are confident demand will remain strong and early hand raisers can now visit any Honda dealership in the UK and place a deposit."

It’s worth mentioning that Honda UK had done the same with the 1st generation of the NSX which saw 25 pre-orders being taken a year ahead of its UK launch in 1990.

The new model sports a mid-mounted, direct-injected V6 engine paired to Honda’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive) system with 2 electric motors, and a dual clutch transmission with a built-in electric motor.

The new NSX will be manufactured at a new Honda group production facility in central Ohio, in the U.S.

Honda did not say if and when it will open the order books in other countries around the world.

Got one!:wink:DSCN1602.jpg=DREW=

WOW,

Drew got his before Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld! Now if only that Shrink-Ray thingy worked.

Wouldn't it blow everyone minds if they ended up releasing a 90k*ish+/- dollar NSX with 450whp/475wtq including SH-AWD .. that incorporates the lil 30hp electrics up front and one in the back with a 4.0L V6 revving to 8500.

Come on Honda ... Keep it under 100k and deliver something fun to compete.
Doesn't have to blow the doors off of stuff on the highway/hang with the big boys to 200mph .. but it better hit every freaking Apex I throw it at.

Last edited:
The new motor trend just hit newsstands with what appears to be final specs.

3.5L twin turbo, 560hp with assist of the electrics. 140k price tag

The new motor trend just hit newsstands with what appears to be final specs.

3.5L twin turbo, 560hp with assist of the electrics. 140k price tag

Best news I've heard since I heard of the "new NSX". It's looks have certainly not grown on me.

Since around 1994 through 2005 new NSX prices were always subsidized by Acura w/ big trunk money + unbelievable lease rates to generate sales. MSRP on those cars ranged from 1994 ($75K) to 2005 ($90K).

Doubtful there will be any of those programs on the new 2015 NSX.

With the suspected selling price of $130K +/- (w/no discounts initially of course), prepare to spend $50K more than you would have for a new NSX back in 2005.

How many do you think they can sell?

I think I read the 80 - 90% of Porsche sales are leases.

Since around 1994 through 2005 new NSX prices were always subsidized by Acura w/ big trunk money + unbelievable lease rates to generate sales. MSRP on those cars ranged from 1994 ($75K) to 2005 ($90K).

With the suspected selling price of $130K +/- (w/no discounts initially of course), prepare to spend $50K more than you would have for a new NSX back in 2005.

Don't forget that the Fed is devaluing money all of the time. You need $103k in today's dollars to equal $60k in 1991 (MSRP that year) and $106k in today's dollars to equal $89k in 2005 (MSRP that year). That $106k will be more like $110 by next year.

If the new NSX came out next year at $130k (which I think is low) the price difference would be $20k in real dollars, not $50k. Looking at what people spend modding their NSXs and how much better the new NSX will be...$20k is nothing.

In addition to the 2015 NSX comparing very, very favorably to the 2005 NSX in performance, design, technology, etc - you have to look at how it compares to the competition. If it indeed does approach 458 and 12C performance levels...but is half the price. Wow. To people in that market, it would be a very good deal...and McLaren doesn't seem to be having any problem moving 12Cs.

I still can't see the NSX coming out at the same base price $130k GT3. Of course Honda did overprice the RLX so there's that.

I still can't see the NSX coming out at the same base price $130k GT3. Of course Honda did overprice the RLX so there's that.

None of us know anything about it's performance or feel quality. So what do you base "130K is too much" on? They have clearly stated their target are cars like the McLaren. That's a 250K car. $130 is too much?

Well.... it is an "Acura" at the end of the day.

When a car company has to create a "uber high performance/luxury brand name" to create a "name" for itself it means that the car company was never that high end.

U see any of the German players doing that?

If Honda was that good it wouldn't have to make a name called Acura in USA.

- - - Updated - - -

fe_5071242_1600.jpg

fe_5071238_1600.jpg

fe_5071259_1600.jpg

fe_5071229_1600.jpg

fe_5071243_1600.jpg

fe_5071210_1600.jpg

fe_5071215_1600.jpg

When a car company has to create a "uber high performance/luxury brand name" to create a "name" for itself it means that the car company was never that high end.

U see any of the German players doing that?

Volkswagen = Bugatti, Audi, Lamborghini

Oh, wait...this reinforces your first point.

Bats, are you lacking sleep???

Those old pics you posted actually make the new NSX look better because they used a stock height NSX with the phat fives and it shows how outdated our current cars can look and how weird it *can look in photos.

Bats, are you lacking sleep???

Those old pics you posted actually make the new NSX look better because they used a stock height NSX with the phat fives and it shows how outdated our current cars can look and how weird it *can look in photos.

Funny, I was thinking the old NSX actually looks pretty good next to the new car. But then I'm not a fan of the new slab sided look.

Back