• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

SoS Big Bore Throttle Body w/ CTSC?

I'm thinking of getting the big bore throttle body from SoS. I'm currently running a 6lb CTSC and I figure better airflow can only help. Thoughts? I'm expecting marginal HP gain (2-4?), and slightly better throttle response. Realistic expectation, or waste of money?

i think its ~ $250 + core + shipping. I considered this idea also but could not justify the cost for it for minimal gains. besides i have to save my $$ for OBD II to I

ktan said:
i think its ~ $250 + core + shipping. I considered this idea also but could not justify the cost for it for minimal gains. besides i have to save my $$ for OBD II to I

Before you go OBDII to I you might want to check out Factor X's OBD II solution for timing and fuel.

jdnsx said:
Before you go OBDII to I you might want to check out Factor X's OBD II solution for timing and fuel.

Are you talking about the HKS Pro ConV? My understanding of that is that it is a great system, but VERY few people can tune it.

jdnsx said:
Maybe he already found out about it and thats why he is looking at the OBDI option.

Armando

I guess one question is whether the throttle body is a bottleneck, or whether it will be wasted since the intake manifold remains the same?

Ask RacerXJLing about this? I believe that he had this throttle body on his High boost CTSC and had a few problems.

Rod

Arshad said:
I'm thinking of getting the big bore throttle body from SoS. I'm currently running a 6lb CTSC and I figure better airflow can only help. Thoughts? I'm expecting marginal HP gain (2-4?), and slightly better throttle response. Realistic expectation, or waste of money?

Looks like you've already got the headers, exhaust, and supercharger... how's your air intake and manifold? Are you experiencing bad throttle response? I've got stock throttle body and power is near instantaneous.

Are you experiencing bad throttle response? I've got stock throttle body and power is near instantaneous.

Nope, I wouldn't say that I have bad throttle response. I don't consider it a problem, although I suspect there might still be some small room for improvement.

Arshad said:
Nope, I wouldn't say that I have bad throttle response. I don't consider it a problem, although I suspect there might still be some small room for improvement.

Ah... you're one of *those* people. :wink: :biggrin:

Seriously, though... Hard for me to imagine changing anything, so I was wondering if there might be something wrong with your current setup. It sounds pretty sweet. :)

Simply "tee" in a pressure gauge at one point upstream of the TB and a second point downstream of the TB (before the blower) and run the line into the passenger comparment. Have someone watch the gauge at WOT. If it shows any vacuum you have a pressure drop across the TB and could benefit from a larger bore. Note, you could simply use the one connection after the TB but it would be influenced by ANY restriction upstream, including the airbox/filter, etc. Using a "Tee" as described limits the measurement to the TB size alone.

I do have the SOS big bore throttle body w/ the CTSC "hi boost" kit.

I don't have any before/after dyno runs so don't know any numbers. There is not a butt dyno on this planet that can feel the minimal gains it would have anyway. HotRod may be thinking that I had problems since I had a faulty TPS sensor on the SOS throttle body. They put on another sensor and it worked fine. I thought the same in that it should at least help but it would be minimal.

Jeff
92 CTSC/I/H/E/AEM/550/Walbro fuel pump

Back