• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spring install - Help

I did a search on spring installation and didn't come up with much. Looks like most people pay someone else to do it.
I'd prefer to do it myself...I work on cars quite a bit, but I'm no master. I have replaced a head gasket on an engine before, done springs, etc on other cars, headers, belts, etc etc.

So, can someone walk me thru the install, or give me a link of what I need to know? I read something about being careful about the rear CV boot...in what way?

A local shop wanted to charge me $75/hr at 4hrs. I'd prefer to spend some quality time with my car instead.

See here

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/shocks.htm

think there is another guide somewhere, dan o land maybe?????. I lowered my car on bilsteinds and dali springs, a friend who had lowered many civics and integras so his help was priceless to say the least. We did not use a spring compressor. I am glad I did it though as shops wanted anywhere from $600 - $800. I gave him a $150 for the help and learned something to (he was broke and could use the money, so I didn't mind paying, in case some of you are thinking what a crap friend for charging, I offered to pay as I knew it was a PITA and he needed the money) for the help and learned something to and now I have money to spend on other things like an exhaust...headers...intake...

hth,

Carl

Thanks, looks good. I also ordered the Dali springs...

I don't think it will be as hard as the guy described it, but I guess we'll see.

Turnbuckles eh? Sounds like a plan. I have a few people that will be helping me out with this next week... Thanks again everyone!

I'll post pics of my new rims/springs AFTER the springs go on.

garthed said:
I've done it twice. Its not hard. The second time took no time at all.

I've been to hell....and it was installing those damn springs.

I can pretty much promise you there will be no 2nd time for me...unless it's like a year from now.

That's all I have to say about that.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad time with it, hey at least its done now, and why would you would want to change your springs in a year. Anyway post pics so we can see the fruits of your labor.

Carl

It was just a time consuming, no fun job. I got home at 3am last night...and I had to get up at 7. Thanks to John for all the help...well, lets face it, he did 90% of the work and I still hated it.

I'll post pics tomorrow, gonna let them settle a little...
Next step: 4 wheel alignment and balance.

DrVolkl said:
I've been to hell....and it was installing those damn springs.

I can pretty much promise you there will be no 2nd time for me...unless it's like a year from now.

That's all I have to say about that.

So are you saying the $75 x 4 hours labor would have been a good deal;)??

Glad it at least worked out and you are done. You mentioned "balance", did you install adjustable coil overs?

Regards,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:

Some dealer services, like clutches and what not are actually a pretty good deal vs. DIY / jackstands in a garage depending on personal ecconomics. Regardless, no matter how many times you've done it, I'd hardly say that NSX Spring installs over OE Shocks are "lots of fun or really easy". Especially relative to sitting on the sofa watching BMI videos. We started at 6PM and got done at 2AM, but in there was a couple of hours of chatting and an hour for dinner, probably about 4 hours of real work. All in all a PITA and dirty but good times.

Larry Bastanza said:
Glad it at least worked out and you are done. You mentioned "balance", did you install adjustable coil overs?

We installed some swift springs from Mark over a better conditioned set of OE dampers. A good high quality alignment and he'll be back on track so far as the lowering.

Larry Bastanza said:

I think it's a steal. John, next time lets just get a beer for the good times part and skip the dirty 15yr old suspension.

The finished product:

13146nsxdrop.jpg

13146nsx1.jpg

I used the Dali racing springs and some '97 struts..

I haven't done the alignment yet and it's only been two days...so it'll probably drop another .25 to .5". The alignment may also change the look, since we totally screwed with the suspension.

I forgot that you mentioned using those springs, yes I have them on my car, they settled a little after the alignment, car is low, I used Bilstein Shocks, not sure if that makes a difference or not, shouldn't. Anyway my alignment was way off after the drop, still couldn't get it back to spec, but its close. Rears are getting worn, but I have over 10,000 on the rears and they are michelon pilot sports.

maybe your springs were set on Bilstein low perches??

Anyway, looking good Eric. Now I have to see you joining us at the next get-together. It will be the Go Kart day at Traxx. I really like your car's new look, very clean. Have you tried to contact kclements, I think he's de-modding his car, maybe you could trade your valence with him + some cash.

Post more pic. after you get the car aligned and the front lip on.

No definitely not on the low perches, if they were I'd almost be on the ground. Even with the semi mild drop of the Dalis I scrape on some driveway entrances and exits of garages etc, even if I cut hard.

DrVolkl said:
I used the Dali racing springs and some '97 struts..

I haven't done the alignment yet and it's only been two days...so it'll probably drop another .25 to .5". The alignment may also change the look, since we totally screwed with the suspension.

It definitely kinda makes a difference. Did you get a chance to try and schedule with speedware or Fordahl or somewhere comparable yet for the alignment prior to the weekend? Sometimes they are a week or two out, but worth the wait.

Quotes yet on the far more pressing engine removal / seal issue?

Last edited:
John@Microsoft said:
It definitely kinda makes a difference. Did you get a chance to try and schedule with speedware or Fordahl or somewhere comparable yet for the alignment prior to the weekend? Sometimes they are a week or two out, but worth the wait.

Quotes yet on the far more pressing engine removal / seal issue?

I found a place in Bellevue for the alignment tomorrow...I'll find out how good they are.

I got all 4 tires balanced today, they were way off as well. Soooo, getting there I guess.

John Z (how many john's are there?) is going to throw my car on his lift tonight and we're going to see if we can figure out where the oil is coming from. Then go from there...

If Klements is parting out his car, he should contact me! (except I'm broke...and I have to figure out what's up with this oil thing)

Remember when checking for oil leaks look as far up as you can. The wet/dry line tells the story. It is looks like your pan gasket be sure to check higher up. Spool valve seals(being under full engine oil pressure) are likely.

Good luck on the search.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Back