• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sylvan Learning Center reviews

Any primers have experience with Sylvan Learning Centers? My wife is thinking about putting our 11 Y/O son in it for Reading issues. Of course they want us to spend $5K upfront to lock in a discounted fee.:rolleyes:

My sister robbed her 401K to pay for my nephew to be tutored in math. The kid went in with a bad attitude and learned nothing so it was money totally wasted. Fast forward 16 years and he's now gainfully employed as a furniture mover with a rampant WWE wrestling addiction that takes all of his hard-earned cash :rolleyes:

See if there is KUMON in your area. Same concept as Sylvan, but you pay as you go. They do both reading and math. My daughter goes there for math and we have seen tremendous gains in as little as six month. The cost is something like $120 a month for 3 days a week. It's worth a shot.

Good luck

Last edited:
Ask your son's teacher if they can recommend a private tutor. They are typically connected and if they know the tutor personally they can recommend, +1 for you.

Any primers have experience with Sylvan Learning Centers? My wife is thinking about putting our 11 Y/O son in it for Reading issues. Of course they want us to spend $5K upfront to lock in a discounted fee.:rolleyes:

Thx guys. We don't have Kumon in our small town. He is great at Math but struggles with reading comprehension. He already has a Tutor. The Tutor is nice guy but can't figure how to get him to understand what he is reading and express it(for eg. write a paragraphy summarizing what he just read). I think in the end its gonna be up to me and my wife to try to help him but at times I/we get frustrated working with him.

Find a different tutor. If they are good, they will understand the principles of how to adapt the teaching method to his style of understanding. Ask his teacher or school for references.

I spent a few weeks working for Sylvan and found out 1) they charge a LOT 2) I had to tutor multiple students (5) at one time, it works out to be costing $50/hr per student x 5 = $250/hr. and they had 6 tutors working at one hr/ shift. and Paying $12/hr its hard to get motivated staff. 3) great business model but not effective for learning IMO, not saying no students will improve but just saying 4) I quit after I see what a money maker that is and results are mixed. 5) In the end, its up to you and your son as you know him best. 6) Perhaps his teacher is willing to have one-on-one helping him & paying more attention to him.

If he is good at math but seriously deficient in reading comprehension, please consider getting him professionally evaluated for a related learning disability. If he has a disability then he's probably just as smart as other kids but needs to be taught certain things in different way, and you're just going to frustrated him and yourselves trying to force him to learn the "normal" way.

Back