• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX Regret thread

I regret that although I have 57,000 miles, I don't drive it more often. I can't bring myself to daily driving it during the nice weather months, and letting it sit outside in my office parking lot. I'd rather keep it "special" and drive it to a "destination" instead of the 5 miles to work.

I daily drove my S2000 for a couple of years. Then I got a beater Camry for commuting. So trust me when I say, it's better to keep the NSX as a weekend/special occasion toy. Not only do you save wear and tear on the NSX, but let's face it...the aggrivations and distractions inherent in commuting (unless you commute up and down Laurel Canyon or US-129) really dilute or spoil the NSX driving experience. Better to bring the NSX out of hibernation when you can really enjoy the drive. And when you do pull the NSX out of the garage for a drive, the fact that it is a treat really heightens the pleasure of getting it out on the road. You appreciate it a lot more. OK...that's just me and your pleasure level may vary.

I regret buying my NSX when I didn't have a daily driver lined up. 30 miles to work one way for six months! I put 20k on my car in about fifteen months! That does also include three track events though.

I now have a miata as a daily driver and the NSX gets driven WHEN I WANT TO DRIVE IT. Regret fixed!

I regret not buying a 2004 or '05 when new. Had I known Honda/Acura wasn't going to produce a successor or was going to go down the path of ugle saber tooth cars (stupid power plenum), I would've bought one new. I listened to the dealers telling me that the "next" NSX was going to be even better as well as magazines printing similar rumors. I was so naive.

My only regret is buying a 996TT while still owning my NSX. Now my NSX rarely gets driven because it feels dated compared to a newer Porsche. Damm you Porsche...Why do you have to make such a fast car straight out of the box.

That's really interesting Doc... I was looking at buying a normal 996 (non TT) in Dubai when I lived there as I couldn't find an NSX. I hated it! It felt slow and the engine sounded noisy (not nice like the older air cooled ones). Definitely more dated and not as refined as the NSX was my opinion.

this thread is hilarious, yet inisightful and informative for hopefully wannabe owners of nsx's (ie. myself.)

thank you prime.

I regret buying an old 1979 VW Rabbit diesel when I was in high school for $800
Sold it a year later for $40 to a junkyard when the engine commited suicide due to a crankcase pressure recirculation problem that made it go WOT till it died a loud mechanical death, the cloud of black smoke was really cool.
It did get some silly gas mileage, something like 50+ MPG

Zero regrets about the NSX, best vehicle I have ever owned, driven, and enjoyed.

My only regret with the NSX was thinking it would help pick up chicks. If I had known how much guys love the car I would have just gone with the Miata and be done with it.

My only regret with the NSX was thinking it would help pick up chicks. If I had known how much guys love the car I would have just gone with the Miata and be done with it.

gayfight.gif

I remodeled my house about 8 years ago. We ate the garage to add bedrooms, a dining room, and an office. I added a carport. This was all before I bought my NSX. So I regret not having a garage to park the NSX in (though it is always covered in the carport.

Otherwise I have almost no regrets whatsoever. It is interesting to read that many regrets here have to do with over-modifying their cars. The NSX is beautiful out of the box, and other than wheels or possibly lowering it a bit, I can't imagine doing much more to it.

I see keeping my 97, bought in 2006, for a very long time.

Come on guys, I know there are a lot more mods out there people regret. Let's hear about them.

I'm still uncertain about the look of the type R spoiler.

Thinking deeper, I have some regrets, one thing I regret, was, to take my NSX out for a drive around the block to dry the tires, so a MORON would hit me on the back, that I really regret.

Also I regret ordering my NSX-R mesh booth and not installing properly, I should have ordered the little jam nut, now, it looks "ok" (even after months later I installed the SOS shifter (oem part) and CR knob, I really ruined some of the stitching! argh!

Last edited:
The type R wing, sometimes I think it looks great, other times it doesn't depending on the angle. I decided to get one for my car (and keep the oem wing as spare) and since it's an easily reversible process, I don't think you will hear many regrets on the type R wing, yet.

I'm still uncertain about the look of the type R spoiler.

i think oem makes the car looks lower, yeah in some pics i like it and others i dunno i havent seen one in person yet either, i need to go to a local meet:biggrin:

getting Tanabe springs. Too low too stiff when mached with Koni shocks. Got Tein spring waiting to install them.

I paid too much, but that is the US economy's fault, not the car's fault!
My car is special to me, and I could have done better as I bought it 4 years ago.
I may not have been able to find as fine of a car later.
At the time: '91 with 22k miles, not in snap ring range, new clutch and TB. (water pump was not done) 100% of maintenance records, window sticker, factory build sheet, and all other receipts, includeing gas receipts for 16 years.
I since have left the car stock except for the 2000/2001 ABS upgrade and '94 wheels.
today the car has 38k miles and is in show room shape.
I regret very little.

I regret not having another set of rear tires ready when I changed the oil last week. Now I have to put it back on the lift again. I should know by now, rear tires at oil change. But the tread looked ok on the outside...

I regret not having a garage when I bought my first one.

+1 Mine is stored 45min away and i am paranoid if i take it home and leave it here over the night/week and constantly looking out to see if its still there. I D/C stuff to make sure it won't run so they would have to tow it if they want it bad enough.

My only regret with the NSX was thinking it would help pick up chicks.

Slap some prancing horse stickers on the side...
the ones that jump on you just because of your car won't notice the difference until long after you have performed the H & D maneuver that they deserve and want

Back