• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2011 F1 Thread....Now That 2010 is Over

I agree with your view about a penalty being too extreme, considering the level of competency of the two drivers involved.

But I have watched that squeeze replayed many times. After Vettel squeezed Button to the right, Vettel moved back to the left in order to enter the corner properly.

Hence even though I agree with you that a penalty is not called for, the squeeze was absolutely intentional, and Vettel's claim that he didn't see Button coming was a pure lie.

Of course Vettel moved over to cut off any attempt by the following car to get through on the inside of Turn 1. That is normal when you feel you have not had a good start. The point I think Vettel is making he didn't realise that Button was so close as he moved over.

Have you ever sat in an open wheeler and tried to see out of those tiny rear view mirrors? What impresses me most with those drivers is that they manage to see anything at all behind them!

I feel soooooo sorry for Kobi, such a bad start.
But Perez from 17th to 8th!!! I'll take that.

Oh yeah, great drive by Button and congrats to Vettel.

-MSR

This car may end up on the podium tomorrow (tonight).

This is precision driving at its finest: get your tires on the painted flat surface just between the rumble strips and the grass. Can Kobayashi san do that lap after lap? In terms of just looks alone, this remains my favorite car of the season.

saub_koba_suzu_2011-11.jpg

It also circumvented the rulebook with its open difuser.:wink:

Miner

They weren't the only ones, and it was a double diffuser. Toyota had it, and I don't recall who the other team that had one at the beginning of the season. I believe Ross Brawn tried to address the the whole double diffuser thing before the season started, and either the other teams or FIA ignored him or blew him off.

Even then, there were races where other cars rear ended the Brawn cars, destroying their double diffusers, and they still had the race pace without them. Honda did their homework diligently since they did start working on the chassis like 1 1/2 years in advance I think. Anyone who thinks Jenson Button won his championship because of a double diffuser is kidding themselves. Just looking at Jenson's performance with McLaren should show you that.

The only thing I wish was for Honda to have stuck around at least for one more year, and they would have that Championship they have so longed for. Maybe we would even have a new NSX by now had they done so.

Thanks NSXrebel,
apart from Croatian language I speak also Italian and English not so perfect but
can manage,on this site we are not all from US Jack a..!
I know english isn't your first language but if you want to have a discussion regarding F1 on a forum where english is the predominant language then please check your grammar for errors.
They weren't the only ones, and it was a double diffuser. Toyota had it, and I don't recall who the other team that had one at the beginning of the season. I believe Ross Brawn tried to address the the whole double diffuser thing before the season started, and either the other teams or FIA ignored him or blew him off.

Even then, there were races where other cars rear ended the Brawn cars, destroying their double diffusers, and they still had the race pace without them. Honda did their homework diligently since they did start working on the chassis like 1 1/2 years in advance I think. Anyone who thinks Jenson Button won his championship because of a double diffuser is kidding themselves. Just looking at Jenson's performance with McLaren should show you that.

The only thing I wish was for Honda to have stuck around at least for one more year, and they would have that Championship they have so longed for. Maybe we would even have a new NSX by now had they done so.
I knew someone would cover this info, glad to see it was a fellow Button fan.

I knew someone would cover this info, glad to see it was a fellow Button fan.

Sure fellas. Let's keep thinking that way.

Miner

Sure fellas. Let's keep thinking that way.

Miner

No, you keep thinking your delusional way. ;)
It is a well known fact that Honda started working on their 2009 car more than a year in advance. Even after they changed the rules with the double diffusers being banned, Brawn GP was still dominating, wether it was Jenson or Rubens. So it wasn't only some "magical" diffuser that gave Jenson and Brawn GP their Championships.

No, you keep thinking your delusional way. ;)
It is a well known fact that Honda started working on their 2009 car more than a year in advance. Even after they changed the rules with the double diffusers being banned, Brawn GP was still dominating, wether it was Jenson or Rubens. So it wasn't only some "magical" diffuser that gave Jenson and Brawn GP their Championships.

While I totally agree that the double diffuser was only a very small part of the Brawn winning in 2009, it was not banned during the 2009 season. It was banned from the start of the 2010 season, by which time the Mercedes car was a comparative dog :redface: But the lack of the double diffuser did not have much to do with that! [Before we start another whole new point of discussion :biggrin:]

I have nothing really to add to the technical discussion of the tread. I got my tickets today for the Korean Grand Prix. It is my first F1 race so I was curious as to what I should look forward to. Anything special worth experiencing?
2011-10-12205647.jpg

I have nothing really to add to the technical discussion of the tread. I got my tickets today for the Korean Grand Prix. It is my first F1 race so I was curious as to what I should look forward to. Anything special worth experiencing?
2011-10-12205647.jpg

bring ear plugs, bring sun block, bring a seat cushion, good zoom camera. walk around to see what you can see and enjoy it! if you're lucky, and I think you are, you won't need raincoats and bathingsuits like I did in Montreal for race day...

the pace and sound of F1 cars is quite something to behold...the exhaust note of the renault's on their off-throttle overrun is spine tingling...

While I totally agree that the double diffuser was only a very small part of the Brawn winning in 2009, it was not banned during the 2009 season. It was banned from the start of the 2010 season, by which time the Mercedes car was a comparative dog :redface: But the lack of the double diffuser did not have much to do with that! [Before we start another whole new point of discussion :biggrin:]

Also don't forget that for the 2010 season when Brawn switch to Mercedes GP, that they had 2 new drivers, who had no experience with a car that was pretty much designed completely for the driving styles of RB and JB. JB's driving style seems like it is atypical in the paddock. That was reportedly one of the reasons MS struggled so much in 2010 because he needed the car to be slighly oversteering to get the most out of it, while JB wanted his cars with more understeer. To compensate for that change in car dynamic, Mercedes GP needed to remove downforce from the rear of the car, killing any advantage there.

Also, over the 2009 season, the Brawn GP was left in the dust in terms of development from the might of RedBull, Mclaren, and Ferrari, mostly due to their significantly reduced staff (From 700 down to the 200s), and a highly restrictive budget. They also needed to keep $$ in reserve and their staff very low in case a buyer like Mercedes did not come to the table.

now back on topic...

Go Mclaren and Jenson! Stellar win in Japan hopefully more outstanding performances to come for the remainder of the year!

Last edited:
bring ear plugs, bring sun block, bring a seat cushion, good zoom camera. walk around to see what you can see and enjoy it! if you're lucky, and I think you are, you won't need raincoats and bathingsuits like I did in Montreal for race day...

the pace and sound of F1 cars is quite something to behold...the exhaust note of the renault's on their off-throttle overrun is spine tingling...

Thanks for the info. I bought some new lenses just for this. I don't think the weather will be a factor this year. I can't make Friday practice but will be there for Saturday and Sunday. I will post some pictures when I get back.

Back