• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2022 F1 Thread...

I agree and was also glad to be able to shorten it up with the DVR - watched the Indycar race at TMS later in the day and it was a thriller

the cars were more stable looking running closely.The DRS apparatus is larger now..more robust. Remember with the old tiny wheels massive tires they became a part of the suspension equations....now with the more familiar narrower sidewalls the equations have changed..

I disagree it's no more dangerous than the Monaco track, however there are two factors in SA that make it different...these being higher speed and most importantly grip with the fine sand on the track.

Bram

This new regulations really works.Again good job for Ferrari but Max did it amazing.Bad luck for Checo and Fernando.
We have interesting racing through all race and all positions.

I disagree it's no more dangerous than the Monaco track,

Bram

I would say that the two things you listed counter your first statement :p Max and other drivers have complained about the lack of safety on this track.

Great racing today again. Some boring bits, and if not for safety cars I'm not sure the race would have been that exciting. So far the 'excitement' of the racing were due to non-racing events causing the racing to be closer and I'm not sure we'll see the same levels of excitement as the season goes on.

Intrigued to see how the new track configuration at Albert Park, Melbourne works for the 2022 cars - from what I have read it should provide close racing and quite a few overtaking opportunities.
Shame I won't be there in person after getting to the track in 2020, doing the pit walk, seeing Lando Norris arrive, sitting in my grandstand seat on the Thursday, only to be locked out by COVID for the following days...

Last edited:
we have wheel to wheel racing back....and multiple attacks are possible..before it was one and done..

We are about 36 hours from Australia’s return. As noted, tires were on track when COVID hit and the world went sideways. Vettel debuts for the season, and Merc has some updates to their car.

I’m ready for Saturday night (west coast)!

Race was ok, not great. By taking away the 4th DRS zone, it wasn't as easy as expected to make passing moves on the fastest part of the circuit. Alonso got his way and then failed to deliver on the day when points are awarded (again).
Checo was lucky with the safety car timing - he was just about to be passed by Hamilton when the flag/lights came out - could have been an even better result for Mercedes. Russell timed his pit stop to perfection, getting some luck for once - Hamilton not so much.
McLaren went well - the "local" boy got some points on the board, so he and Lando are behind Red Bull, ahead of Alpine.
Aston Martin were very poor - has Seb given up?
Sainz was overcome by frustration - he needs to play a slightly longer game to match his teammate.
Alfa & Alpha were nowhere, as were Haas.
Leclerc was in a class of his own - without the safety car periods he would have been miles ahead.
My driver of the day was Albon - superb performance, pace and patience - picking up the last point.
Villain of the day was Stroll - he held half the field up by weaving for a large chunk of the race.

Last edited:
Another mostly dull race except for the challenge of staying awake to watch it live only to kick myself after for wasting that time doing so…..

Another mostly dull race except for the challenge of staying awake to watch it live only to kick myself after for wasting that time doing so…..

I fell asleep 2 mins before the start, woke up a couple of times, and finally threw in the towel just about the end and went upstairs to bed. Watched about 3 mins of the actual race. And it started at 10 pm on the west coast! Not sure if it’s the race or me getting old?

merc is making incremental progress..I cant' imagine racing at that level of fast twitch and having to do it while bouncing up and down .....I'm rooting for Botox to outshine merc in the Alfa...

merc is making incremental progress..I cant' imagine racing at that level of fast twitch and having to do it while bouncing up and down .....I'm rooting for Botox to outshine merc in the Alfa...

I've actually developed a new found respect for the drivers' ability to perform given the amount of bouncing the cars seem to be doing. Looks...painful.

FWIW, looks like we're a go for the Monaco GP. Will be sure to take lots of pics and share the experience with y'all.

Great sprint race and win by the reigning World Champion!

Thought Sainz would be more competitive though.

Back