• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2022 F1 Thread...

Any thoughts on whether there will be a race in Russia this year...

good.....thanks

So what happens next? If VP overthrows the govt, installs a puppet regime and pulls out, will the FIA (and the rest of world sporting councils) call a do over and go back to dealing with Russian money?

Probably. Money talks.

So what happens next? If VP overthrows the govt, installs a puppet regime and pulls out, will the FIA (and the rest of world sporting councils) call a do over and go back to dealing with Russian money?

funny how it feels like the 19th century all over again..I think China will "broker" a scripted deal and look like nice guy...:rolleyes:

So if between Father Time and the new car, Hamilton never gets his record breaking 8th championship, will there be the proverbial asterisk next to Hamilton’s name?

I don't think an 8th title is a requirement for Hamilton's GOAT status. However his sunset years play out it's hard to see any asterisk denting his legacy -- he's done it all.

I think some important parts of his legacy are his unparalleled rookie season including the 1st corner of his F1 career, winning a race every season even in a dog of a car, and the caliber of incredible teammates he's had VS other potential GOATs. Maybe for me where he loses some shine is his losing streak against Rosberg late '05 into '06 including all those poor starts.

Funny I've noticed 2 of the irresistible habits for F1 fans are:
-comparing drivers from different eras: "Jim Clark & Fangio would totally beat VET HAM & VER", which is what will fuel barstool analysis of Hamilton's career forever. And
-whatif-isms and couldashouldawoulda talk: "If Alonso could go back with 10 points to sprinkle into a few of his title fights he'd be a 5x champion". I've heard people go down the rabbit hole of imagining an era of Senna living to fight vs Schumacher. But there's only one history that was possible, and that is the one we got.

There's maybe a third habit of F1 fans which is hating Lewis, something I don't get at all. His rivals seem to respect him, unlike so many of those rivals' fanbases.

Last edited:
Magnusson is back...

Sandbagging.
H-

For once, I don't think Merc are sandbagging...but we don't get to see everything, as per Sainz' comments to the press. All will be revealed in the next two days...
Hopefully we will see some good racing, multiple winners and decent, consistent decisions by the stewards when necessary, this year!

Good job for Ferrari finally guys have competitive car.Hope tomorrow Max win RB looks strong.
After looong time Merc has not have fastest car.

Agreed Sandro! It has been a long time since Ferrari was competitive.
I’m curious as to the issue with the RB power unit. 3 of the 4 cars failed to finish.
I am very impressed my Magnussen; points in his first race in many years, and he did outperform MS.

Nope, aged terribly!

I thought Russell would go full Mr Saturday & then outcharge Lewis off the line, leaving him in traffic & to cover Ferraris's undercut shenanigans.

My takeaway for the 2022 fight is it's Ferrari vs either unreliable or slow. (All the Merc powered cars have slow top speeds.)

Hamilton did great but the NSX fan in me wanted the Checo podium.. he owns Senna's berlina coupe.

Excellent racing with a couple of good fights on the track......Ferrari seem to have their package well dialed in, lets hope they can sustain the development race and the 2022 season become a three team battle.

First race of the season, will always have retirements as the teams work through their respective issues. Happy to see Merc and Lewis score some good points and a podium, I'm hoping that they can resolve some of the issues they are having with the car soon.

Bram

Maybe it’s just me but other than a few exciting lead swaps and the unexpected retirements of the RBs this essentially was a lead follow with large gaps except for the late safety car. Everyone may be getting used to the cars but overall this felt like more of a race to dvr and fast forward through most of it.

Back