• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

The search feature seems to lack A LOT

It seems that the google search really does not pick up many posts compared to specific searches used by other car forums. For example http://s2ki.com/forums has a great search tool that grabs many different posts with specific word. Google seems like it misses 95% of the time and grabs only 5%. For example do a search for "Taitec GT lightweight" and you will get 3 returns. One is an AD. One is from a list of parts on someones car and the other is an eval. on the exhaust. There are many more threads with one of those 3 words but nothing comes up.

What do you guys think? Can we get a better search engine or are we just stuck with the google search?

This is not meant to offend, but most of the time poor searches are the result of the user not knowing how to search properly. Search forums can be difficult because people use slang, abbreviations and bad spelling (ie. try searching for "02" + "nsx" = loads of mishits)

I personally think the search engine is great; especially compared to the old search we used to have. However, that's just my opinion... let's see what everyone else thinks.

The search engine is great ... but you have to use the right one. I think I understand where hybridnsx is coming from. The search that is right below the FAQ and in white is a google seach. Messed me up for a few days too until I found the one on the red stripe that starts UserCP, FAQ, Members List after you enter the Forums. If I have this right, use that one and you will find what you seek.

The right search

whealy’s exactly right. Use the forums search, not the general site-wide search:

Attachments

• the-right-search.png
    the-right-search.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 118
WOW thats a HUGE difference!!! you must be getting a big "donation" from google to use that search bar to confuse everyone because it is a total waste of space otherwise.

Thanks for the help guys! appreciate it.

hybridnsx said:
WOW thats a HUGE difference!!! you must be getting a big "donation" from google to use that search bar to confuse everyone because it is a total waste of space otherwise.

You know, not everything is a conspiracy based on greed. I get pennies from google for having google search on the site. It is there because it is the best way to search the REST of the site (like the FAQ), outside of the forums. I understand the possibility for confusion but I didn't think it would be a major issue for many people, and I'm not sure offhand the best way to have both searches visible and not have it be confusing. The same with the NSX FAQ link on the main nav bar and the forum FAQ on the forum nav bar.

I think Google is having some problems "keeping up" with site updates. I recently launched several new sites and Google has "sandboxed" them where they don't show up at all, even though we have submitted the sites and site maps, and everything else Google says we needed to do. The one that has been indexed by Google hasn't been updated by them since April 6. MSN and Yahoo on the other update like mad, particularly MSN. The most active user on the sites I have is the MSNBot. Google may have attained Search Engine King status, but in my opinion they are slipping and can't keep up with the indexing they need to do. I forsee a shift in the upcoming years, although it will take a while. In the meantime, just use the vBulletin search link as pointed out earlier, or try some other search engines. :)

NSX Prime said:
You know, not everything is a conspiracy based on greed. I get pennies from google for having google search on the site.

As someone who runs several forums myself, I can assure you the money from Google doesn't even make a dent in the operating costs or time involved keeping things going here. NSXPrime has an excellent up-time and performance record since I've been here. Regardless of Google's shortcomings, this site is still the best NSX resource that I'm aware of.

Ncturnal said:
I think Google is having some problems "keeping up" with site updates. MSN and Yahoo on the other update like mad, particularly MSN. The most active user on the sites I have is the MSNBot. Google may have attained Search Engine King status, but in my opinion they are slipping and can't keep up with the indexing they need to do.
Same experiences with my sites so I guess your conclusion and prophecy ist correct.

Back