• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt & WP - Rear belt cover issue

Hey guys,
I'm about 75% done with the TB and WP maintenance. So far, I've decided to replace everything included in the 90k service pack from Dali plus another $500 worth of seals, timing belt tensioner, new fuel filter, and new harmonic balancer.

Along with some special tools, my total parts cost comes in just below $1200 :redface: Not sure how much money I'm saving doing it myself but I've enjoyed the experience.

I'm about 20hrs into the job and ran into a snag tonight with the rear belt cover. Is there a trick to removing it? I can't get it out from the top or bottom of the car. Wedged between passenger side engine wall and the engine.

Hey guys,
I'm about 75% done with the TB and WP maintenance. So far, I've decided to replace everything included in the 90k service pack from Dali plus another $500 worth of seals, timing belt tensioner, new fuel filter, and new harmonic balancer.

Along with some special tools, my total parts cost comes in just below $1200 :redface: Not sure how much money I'm saving doing it myself but I've enjoyed the experience.

I'm about 20hrs into the job and ran into a snag tonight with the rear belt cover. Is there a trick to removing it? I can't get it out from the top or bottom of the car. Wedged between passenger side engine wall and the engine.

You have removed the transmission mount bolt and jacked up the engine?

You have removed the transmission mount bolt and jacked up the engine?

Yes, I did jack the engine up...maybe it needs to go up further as Eiffel suggested. Thanks for the input guys. I'll give that a try and see it it helps.

I typically remove the oil cooler pedestal to get an extra inch or so;)....

if you take out the other covers first you can rotate the rear cover 180 degrees and it will come out the top with the valve cover off. any questions feel free to give me a call

Agreed, Last Out, First in.

Regards,
LarryB

On my '96, I removed the sway bar bracket to get at the one rear cover bolt. That was on Larry B's advice, and it worked. But he told me since then he was able to get it from above.

I posted this after I did mine TB about 5 years ago. It may help.
Timing_belt_cover_bolts.jpg

Frank

I agree I saved that pic years ago when someone posted it.

pics are worth a thousand words.

Back