• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transplant: RDX DVD-NAV-Audio-Camera

For the past 5 months I've been working swapping a complete Acura RDX Audio-Video-Nav system (with Tech Package) into my NSX. I'm finally at a point where it looks like something. I had to machine brackets for the 6 disc in dash unit, LCD screen, I drive control and had to make a new switch system for the dash (to control the Nav). There is also a "eyebrow" display that is mounted in the upper dash garnish. This shows all the needed info like time, radio station, volume and disc info. I purchased a complete RDX dash harness and re-loomed the entire NSX dash harness to be a plug a play with all the new electronics. Oh, and covered all the trim in 4x4 Twill carbon, which still need to be clear coated (matte, so it will almost look as flat/dry as it looks now :biggrin:

DSCF1765sm.jpg

DSCF1766sm.jpg

Oh yeah, there is a servo that drives the door (with the Honda "H" on it) open and the climate system is in there. The open/shut switch is the factory headlight flip up overide switch which I don't use anymore 'cause of the '02 conversion.

I'll post more pics when I can.

Jeff

That's insane! I can't even imagine the talent, knowledge, time, energy, etc... it would take to do something like this! Good job!

For the past 5 months I've been working swapping a complete Acura RDX Audio-Video-Nav system (with Tech Package) into my NSX. I'm finally at a point where it looks like something. I had to machine brackets for the 6 disc in dash unit, LCD screen, I drive control and had to make a new switch system for the dash (to control the Nav). There is also a "eyebrow" display that is mounted in the upper dash garnish. This shows all the needed info like time, radio station, volume and disc info. I purchased a complete RDX dash harness and re-loomed the entire NSX dash harness to be a plug a play with all the new electronics. Oh, and covered all the trim in 4x4 Twill carbon, which still need to be clear coated (matte, so it will almost look as flat/dry as it looks now :biggrin:

DSCF1765sm.jpg

DSCF1766sm.jpg

Oh yeah, there is a servo that drives the door (with the Honda "H" on it) open and the climate system is in there. The open/shut switch is the factory headlight flip up overide switch which I don't use anymore 'cause of the '02 conversion.

I'll post more pics when I can.

Jeff

Jeff,

Just when I think you couldn't possibly surprise us anymore, you come up with this!! Great job sir!!! Would you be considering turning this into a production kit with the carbon fiber?

Chris

Jeff,

Just when I think you couldn't possibly surprise us anymore, you come up with this!! Great job sir!!! Would you be considering turning this into a production kit with the carbon fiber?

Chris

The carbon upper dash bezel looks really nice in the car. The problem is you have to take out the dash to get at it. I don't think it would be a easy DIY. Otherwise Ravi (KANE) I'm sure could do an overlay. note: there are over 100 staples holding the materal on this part. It's a pain to pull them off the strip off the glue. But it is do-able.

Good God dude, you got some serious skills!!! Now channel all of that energy into something women want and you'll own half of Manhattan before sun down.

Great job!!!!

What women wouldn't want this?! :biggrin:

What about the radio/nav mod? I would be seriously interested in oem navi as opposed to aftermarket stuff.

There was a thread on here a few years ago where someone transplanted the 3G TL stereo into their NSX. I can't find it now though.

What is this? And why didn't you put the interface dial from the RDX there? Wouldn't it be tough to use so far back where you put it? Just curious. I don't mean to question the master.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCF1765sm.jpg
    DSCF1765sm.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,482
The carbon upper dash bezel looks really nice in the car. The problem is you have to take out the dash to get at it. I don't think it would be a easy DIY. Otherwise Ravi (KANE) I'm sure could do an overlay. note: there are over 100 staples holding the materal on this part. It's a pain to pull them off the strip off the glue. But it is do-able.

Ya we can do that part, if I remember correctly it does unscrew from below.

4x4 twill looks REALLY nice Jeff.

What is this? And why didn't you put the interface dial from the RDX there? Wouldn't it be tough to use so far back where you put it? Just curious. I don't mean to question the master.:smile:

Those are the switches that run the system (map-audio-cancel-menu-set up-dimmer). I have to get some masks made so I can put the writing on the actual buttons. The RDX has buttons surrounding the i-drive. That wasn't going to work with my design so I made a switch banks that works with the design and ads a couple extra. 1 for the turning on the rear camera and the other for allowing the screen to play dvd's while the car is in motion. The dial was put where your hand would be just off the end of the center arm rest. I just thought it would work better.

Factory RDX set up:
2007_Acura_RDX_inctrdash.jpg

can i buy the house next door to you and become friends :) I wish i had an inkling of skill you have.

very impressive :smile:
keep us updated
btw, where'd you come across an entire RDX MM system?? lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250207937107&rd=1
:wink:

Getting ready to put the dash in next week. I'll post pics once it starts coming together. I also need to do some research on the rear camera. I can't seem to get it on the screen. I think the control unit needs a input form the speed sensor as well as the reverse switch.... Oh the joy...

Jeff,

That is amazing!!!

You have too much spare time. What you need is a real job :).

To much time? If I only had more time. It's a hobby though. I enjoy all the time I get to spend on it. Even if it's from 9pm to 1 am 3-4 nights a week.

There was a thread on here a few years ago where someone transplanted the 3G TL stereo into their NSX. I can't find it now though.

That was Garrick, lithimus on PRIME. His system works perfectly but is always evolving.

I dont even know what to say about this RDX system besides I want it. If you get it working, that will have been one of the best projects Ive seen on PRIME yet, along with Garricks.

Awesome, unbelievable work.

When I first saw that picture I thought it was a photoshop job. I am speechless. That is some fantastic work...

I'm going against the crowd here. I think that the "carbon fiber" really cheapens the effort of your project. And yes, the red H symbol also is out of place. This is such a massive undertaking that I hate to see it down classed with a fake overlay product.

Otherwise, it looks brilliant. Amazing execution.

Back