• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TSLA stock buy or stay away?

great discussion. TSLA may be the future but current price reflects earnings 15 years into the future:biggrin:

Currently, TSLA's market cap, is greater than GM, Ford, VW and Toyota combined. Last year TSLA sold 360,000 cars, the 4 sold over 20 million cars. Is TSLA expensive at this price? You bet your ass it is!!!

I'm sure the bull case takes into account all of Musk's other ventures including space x/boring/flamethrowers ect....Trumps disdain for Bezos has been to Elon's benefit in the space race.

Not to mention making sure that AWS didn't get the JEDI contract. All because he bought The Washington Post - strange days we live in.

when you talk about billionaires or wannabes's.......many decisions are ego based....the aging .01% might not be able to physically compete but they love to play chess with each other....F1 being a good example...

Just playing Devil's advocate with my replies. The fact is I agree with all of you to a certain degree.

Currently, TSLA's market cap, is greater than GM, Ford, VW and Toyota combined. Last year TSLA sold 360,000 cars, the 4 sold over 20 million cars. Is TSLA expensive at this price? You bet your ass it is!!!
but their growth rate is eclipsing the old guys and that assumes cars is their only business.

P/E ratio is over 1,000.

Give that some thought.

Matt
If we invested based on P/E ratio... well... talk about FOMO for the last 2 decades.

when you talk about billionaires or wannabes's.......many decisions are ego based....the aging .01% might not be able to physically compete but they love to play chess with each other....F1 being a good example...
What's a few hundred million among billionaires. I don't think money matters at that point. I wouldn't know... someone set me straight by giving me a few million to start with lol

Speaking of which, I am missing the Showtime series " Billions " since production has been suspended due to the Plague.
After season 2, I decoupled after it got a bit stale. Did it get better?

P/E ratio is over 1,000.

Give that some thought.

Matt

As long as Washington keeps the the money printing presses running at warp speed ( the only thing both parties agree on ) and the Fed keeps interest rates as near zero as they can the old metrics don't matter. This insanity is called Modern Monetary Theory - it won't end well.

I've always been a Tesla bull but who's besides themselves right now in disbelief...

I would sell half my position..

Gosh, time fly, I remember starting this tread back in 2017 when it was around $300
Crazy how this has taken off.

so let me ask again :)

who is buying at this price?? Currently at $848 as of Friday close 1/22/21

i have a feeling I will revisit this tread in 3 years to find it split again and predict to hit $3000

lets hear all the comments

I have like many missed this one...never could I imagine this approaching a trillion valuation...It has made many millionaires in the wake of disbelief...remember this recently split so really we are at 4000$/share pre split now...:eek:

I've been in and out of TSLA about 3x during this run up. Therefore my net gain in TSLA is only about 150% (I haven't actually calculated it). Nothing to laugh about but certainly not the full gain like many who have held. I sold all my TSLA positions to rebalance my portfolio when it was last at $600 as TSLA became ~50% of holdings almost overnight. Right now i'm about 15% TSLA and I still continue to dollar cost average into it.

Elon is one of the few CEOs I actually believe in so he's a long term hold for me generally speaking. I just got uncomfortable being 50% TSLA. In retrospect.. now i'm looking at a cap gains tax hit so maybe I should have held. Anyone know about Tax Law Harvesting in terms of stocks?

I'm more concerned that 2021-2022 will bring Thor's anti-trust hammer on FB, Google, and Amazon... maybe even Apple. I hate FB's leadership with a passion so i've never bought in but I have a sizeable Google and Amazon holding which makes me think I need to divest before they get broken up.

I would not fear the reaper for Alphabet/FB...mega cap tech...the runway to a dismantling is long..and the income streams are so huge. You have to invest where the eyeballs go...snap has benefited from hiding in plain site...I don't trim positions often....big tech (growth) has these periods of consolidation. But then have big moves in a short time...If you don't own them during those spurts you have missed out.

I have like many missed this one...never could I imagine this approaching a trillion valuation...It has made many millionaires in the wake of disbelief...remember this recently split so really we are at 4000$/share pre split now...:eek:

Tesla has a larger proportion of individual investors compared to institutional investors than most publicly traded companies. These people own the stock because they want to be part of what they see as the future. They are not speculators and, as long as Elon is running the company, will not sell when the stock has an inevitable correction. Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft had their dark days too but those who stayed the course because they saw the big picture have done rather well; I suspect that Tesla will be similar.

I decided to get into TSLA when it went slightly under $400. I'll probably keep it for the long haul.

yep when it joined the s&p it had to get bought by funds..

I bought Tesla about a year and a half ago around $200 and held it until about 3 months ago and sold at $290. I decided to sell and take that cash to put a down payment on an investment property in Dallas. Checking today it's at $358.

My advice to you is dependent on what you are doing with this investment. Is it spare money to burn? If so, go for it, but be ready to hold. I can see this easily hitting $500, but it may take a while. It could also drop to $0 in the next few years and we'll all be saying "remember Tesla?".

If you don't have that kind of spare cash sitting around, be more conservative and diversify your holdings.

Should have held it.... then again the Texas housing prices are doing pretty well so I can't complain too much.

forget tesla...anyone caught the breakout in TATA?

Yes I did....:)

bump for some juicy volatility....nibbling on Nvidia and roblox today

any meta buyers today?

Back