• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TSLA stock buy or stay away?

Moderna (MRNA), hopeful early results. Seems the market is rotating toward laggards like airlines ,banks and retail today. It is using C-19 players like TDOC. ZM, SHOP, and W as a source of funds. It is likely that travel, energy banks and retail will have a tough road to hoe longer term. Those sectors can be traded but are not investable imo. Watch out for office reits in the future; office space may become the new malls in terms of lack of demand. This work from home scenario is likely to have some staying power. Companies can save quite a bit by having their employees work from home more. At the end of the day though the market will rotate back to the high growth secular trend names in a time when other companies and countries are having a tough time of it. Data and digitalization are the new oil. Companies like AYX, MDB, CRWD, DDOG, COUP, TWLO and ZM are transformative and have secular tailwinds behind them.

HaHa another cnbc fan................like me....:biggrin:

I thought about it as a hedge when the pandemic became a thing, but I just kept cash...

FB and Baba have some bullish near term action..

Yes FB announced they were expanding into Facebook Shops and Instagram Shop to help more businesses go online. They will partner with one of my holdings SHOP as well as others to accomplish this. This may be a nice incremental offering but not a game changer for them. I tend to stay away from China stocks because of debacles like LK. They just don't have the transparency of US stocks and there is always the chance of tariff's, C-19 and intellectual property concerns arising. I have held BABA in the past but left because of those concerns.

personal bias can be a hindrance....I will never buy big tobacco....

I got FB shares at the IPO but got out about a year ago based on privacy issues and Zuckerberg's tone deaf style of leadership. Also I tend to buy smaller companies that have faster growth. FB had good news today in introducing FB Shops and Instagram Shops to help small businesses sell online. It should be a nice incremental addition. They will be partnering with other online entities such as SHOP , a long term holding of mine. I usually stay away from Chinese stocks because of accounting concerns such as those seen recently by LK. I also see them as possible battle ground stocks over our issues with tariffs, intellectual property and C-19. There are plenty of companies out there without such issues and plenty of growth.

How do Primates feel about Gold? I've never been a gold guy but I have to admit i've started paying closer attention to it lately.

everyone is piled into this one. the play seems too easy going forward so makes me skeptical but the path of least resistance currently is higher. I'm long GLD, GLD calls and GDX calls.

I got FB shares at the IPO but got out about a year ago based on privacy issues and Zuckerberg's tone deaf style of leadership. Also I tend to buy smaller companies that have faster growth. FB had good news today in introducing FB Shops and Instagram Shops to help small businesses sell online. It should be a nice incremental addition. They will be partnering with other online entities such as SHOP , a long term holding of mine. I usually stay away from Chinese stocks because of accounting concerns such as those seen recently by LK. I also see them as possible battle ground stocks over our issues with tariffs, intellectual property and C-19. There are plenty of companies out there without such issues and plenty of growth.

My style of stock picking is big picture...i don't get caught up in too many details because that can paralyze you...there is a bear case to be made about every stock...I see FB as a place were over 1.3 billion people go.....

Using FB to dovetail back into TSLA... I'm long TSLA because I believe in the CEO. I just don't feel the same about Zuck. He's got too many skeletons. Tim Cook I kind of know what i'm getting. I'm long SQ (it's done crazy well) because I can sort of understand Dorsey. Oh, I don't invest in TWTR for a similar reason as FB - I don't think it's particularly good for society. I'm weird... I know.

The one thing that concerns me about TSLA is that Elon really doesn't care about growing the stock price. He just sees it as a means to an end. If it suits him.. he'll happily tank the stock price.

Last edited:
..........using twitter.....ahhh the circle of life........

HaHa the red short shorts.....how about all the trillion $ market caps...:eek:

at this point you tesla holders can retire.....:eek:

TSLA will keep going up as the short squeeze intensifies and, at some point, crash. The people who own the stock because they want to be part of the future instead of the past will not care or sell their shares. They think climate change will finally be accepted by even the coal rollers as the heat waves, fires, hurricanes, sea level rise, etc cause ever greater losses and burning fossil fuel becomes untenable. The future always arrives sooner than you thought it would.

I'm torn on when to sell my TSLA. The rate of increase in stock price is totally irrational, but now Elon has access to cheap capital and there's so much in his pipeline that has yet to be accomplished... like Tesla Energy.. that will be many times larger than Tesla Automotive. This new cheap capital might act like jet fuel to his plans. Again, these days I rely on quality of the CEOs more than I've ever done before... I decided to keep it long term though I expect a correction soon.

I almost sold TSLA at $2k/sh. I sold half my other positions this week. Still keeping a few like AAPL.

I'm torn on when to sell my TSLA. The rate of increase in stock price is totally irrational, but now Elon has access to cheap capital and there's so much in his pipeline that has yet to be accomplished... like Tesla Energy.. that will be many times larger than Tesla Automotive. This new cheap capital might act like jet fuel to his plans. Again, these days I rely on quality of the CEOs more than I've ever done before... I decided to keep it long term though I expect a correction soon.

I almost sold TSLA at $2k/sh. I sold half my other positions this week. Still keeping a few like AAPL.

If you think the stock is toppy and are ambivalent about selling your shares you might consider selling covered calls. Right now both AAPL and TSLA have been running into their stock splits and we are heading into a seasonally weak period with elections in the mix. Based on volatility premium on options are high. For instance the TSLA calls $2090s strike for 10/16/20 are priced at $253x254. If the stock is at $2090 or above on 10/16/2020 you will have your stock called away at the $2090 strike + the $253=sale at effectively $2343. If the stock is trading on 10/16/20 at less than @$2090, you get to keep the $253 premium and still hold the stock. Just something to consider. Also if the stock dips before the expiry date of 10/16 you can always buy the calls back cheaper than you sold them and still keep your stock.

If you think the stock is toppy and are ambivalent about selling your shares you might consider selling covered calls. Right now both AAPL and TSLA have been running into their stock splits and we are heading into a seasonally weak period with elections in the mix. Based on volatility premium on options are high. For instance the TSLA calls $2090s strike for 10/16/20 are priced at $253x254. If the stock is at $2090 or above on 10/16/2020 you will have your stock called away at the $2090 strike + the $253=sale at effectively $2343. If the stock is trading on 10/16/20 at less than @$2090, you get to keep the $253 premium and still hold the stock. Just something to consider. Also if the stock dips before the expiry date of 10/16 you can always buy the calls back cheaper than you sold them and still keep your stock.

Covered Calls have their place. I actually got called/assigned today on INDL because it's had such a runup and some smuck executed their calls before I could roll it :)

TSLA covered calls will be an option after the 5-1 split. Right now at 2k/sh... not many will have that kind of capital and liquidity in the option mkt is not as good as can be.

I agree about Tesla Energy. It is also why the legacy auto companies are at such a disadvantage with their pouch cell batteries produced by vendors they have little control over. GM may turn out to be an exception because Mary Barra seems to understand the importance of investing billions in battery technology and charger infrastructure.

I agree about Tesla Energy. It is also why the legacy auto companies are at such a disadvantage with their pouch cell batteries produced by vendors they have little control over. GM may turn out to be an exception because Mary Barra seems to understand the importance of investing billions in battery technology and charger infrastructure.
I've mentioned it here before (and I do agree with you) but no current auto company will be able to compete with Tesla's software dominance and overall lead. They can't even catch up let alone leapfrog Tesla. I think they'll catch up on automotive hardware including batteries.. but the best of Autopilot is yet to come... not to mention all that data to mine which will really help Tesla Insurance - I mean... just imagine. It's like GM et all are playing an 8 bit game and Tesla will be 64 bits soon.

what bothers me now is the stock price has a shit ton of speculation built into it. a motherload's worth....

Your previous posts show that you are long TSLA and your post just above this one made excellent points so the things you mention here are just short term noise. Some of the people that I have met that are most comfortable financially bought MSFT early and never sold until they got old enough to realize that you can't take it with you. Your post about retirement age was also interesting but with the focus on staying healthy and advances in medicine these days retirement can last a very long time so I decided the best retirement plan was not doing anything different with my portfolio.

Last edited:
great discussion. TSLA may be the future but current price reflects earnings 15 years into the future:biggrin:

Back