• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TSLA stock buy or stay away?

F - Zuck. That company sucks. Paypal in the shitter too.

I've got buy orders ready and loaded for my fav HODL stocks/crypto, but I think it will be a rough 1st half of 2020. I'm 50% cash.
2020 is already history, 2022 will be volatile, to say the least

Indeed my nas heavy portfolio has shrunk....but there is opportunity in this volatility...I have to raise more cash:frown:

The market has been a bugger! I got lucky and moved 80% of retirement investments to cash in late-December. However, trying to time a re-entry is always 10-times harder to accomplish. I dipped my toe in a little bit and just watch it drop in value. I have a lot of cash on the side, and tried a little ($20,000) stock investment (going mostly with ETFs) and that's been a loser so far. I bought some Amazon stock, and that was a stinker!

Timing the bottom is impossible, but I'm in a good position to ride the wave up if I can just find it. The market is a mess, and I'm no expert on playing volatile markets (puts and calls and all that noise). I presume the day traders are loving this volatility.

Last edited:
It is very humbling.....If you are long it is painful to watch but emotion is the investment killer.....Those who are near or in retirement needed to be in a defensive portfolio already..I'm riding out this bear...it only stings If you sell and bank the losses...unless you have a taxable account and need some losses..

haha yep when you order and click keep until cancelled by me....

It is very humbling.....If you are long it is painful to watch but emotion is the investment killer.....Those who are near or in retirement needed to be in a defensive portfolio already..I'm riding out this bear...it only stings If you sell and bank the losses...unless you have a taxable account and need some losses..

Seems like more these days I hear that even if you are retirement age, you should keep quite a bit in the market so it can grow over the next 20 or so years. Years back, I would hear more like what you say - when nearing retirement it is best to have a defensive portfolio. I'm 59 so I'm nearing that area of deciding when to go to a defensive mode. On a lark (emotion) I pulled about 80% of my retirement funds into stable cash just before Jan 1, 2022. There seemed to be too many bad things in the news (Inflation, supply chain, Russia). Emotion won the day this time, but it's challenging to jump back into the market considering all the negative news out there now. Hopefully I won't miss the volatile ride back up.

agree that the old way of thinking was too conservative you need to stay invested in quality....also every investor has a different risk tolerance....you should start some positions now....

agree that the old way of thinking was too conservative you need to stay invested in quality....also every investor has a different risk tolerance....you should start some positions now....

I've found this indicator to be helpful in finding bottoms, if not THE bottom; good for a strong bounce. I've seen it hit 2 twice. Both led to significant rallies. Six is very extreme. https://www.cnn.com/markets/fear-and-greed

Tesla rallying hard off short term bottom...so is everything else....:)

Starting to dip back into the market. Who knows where the bottom lies! Is every year now going to be a new and different freak show? Seems like the good old days pre-2020's was calm seas, or am I just shell shocked?

very volatile..tough for the average emotional investor...in this market most will defer to the pros and then yell at them......I yell at myself...

Tsla is the 6th most valuable company in the world behind google, amazon, microsoft, apple and the Saudi company. Tesla will come out Cybertruck and Semi trucks, which I already reserved, next year too. This will make a lot more money for them. I expect the end of the year and next year, stock will shot to the moon or maybe to Mars where SpaceX wants to launch. I put the money on the tesla stock.

Shanghai, Berlin, Fremont and Texas Gigafactories are expected to produce 1.2-1.5 million cars by the end of the year, according to Elon Musk. They are the money printing machines.

The waiting list to get a Tesla car is 6-9 months out.

P.S. Tesla stocks are the most shorted stocks by the investors and next is apple.

Bill Gates wanted to team up with Elon to help global warming while he has multi-billion dollar short position against Tesla. Talking about hypocrisy,lol

Last edited:
Ron Barron is also a big Tesla Bull...

The cyber truck won't ever pass NIHS safety requirements, or it will be a drastically different vehicle once it ever does hit the market...which is when? Next year, or the year after that, or maybe the following year? Just like the model 2, and car tunnels and full self driving which is always coming...next year.

IMO Tesla has 4-5 years left before they start to see real competition from the VW group, GM, and a few Japanese companies all pushing EV hard. They will have better built cars with less issues, and a CEO that isn't on Twitter every day trying to show us how smart he is. There is a company called Vinfast which is really pushing for low cost EVs in the US. They purchased and built a factory in the US and their entire MO is to flood the market with lower cost EVs. I remember watching an investor tech update 3 years ago talking about new style batteries and like everything else they are just around the corner!

The model S is starting to look really dated compared to the Audi EV offerings and it just had a refresh. I've got a friend that ordered 3 model Ys 8 months ago, and they have one so far. The second is supposed to be delivered mid August, and the third is 2-3 months out after that. Once other cars start becoming available the build quality, delayed deliveries (even pre covid, which covid exacerbated), and endless promises of Tesla will start to wear thin. Every detailer, and body guy I know tells their customers to not buy another Tesla because of the lack of build/paint/interior quality.

I feel like by 2027 Tesla will be making batteries (maybe, if they move to solid state lith-ion) and software (if people still want to work under Elon), still a valuable company, but not the leader in automobiles.

It reminds me the dotcom era. How many did survive? only few Amazon and eBay that I know of. Same thing today, everyone tries to play catch up with Tesla. Ford, VW, Lucid, Rivian and GM, but none of them have made any profits with EVs yet. Who will survive/last?

Vinfast is Vietnamese car maker copy/use or with the help of german technology. I would not buy it

The cyber truck won't ever pass NIHS safety requirements...

Who or what is "NIHS"? I don't see any reason the truck couldn't pass safety standards.

I have zero interest in electric cars, but although Tesla has certainly had some quality issues, most Tesla owners are very satisfied and would buy the brand again. (Screenshots from Consumer Reports owner surveys below.)

I think it will be interesting to see as other companies keep introducing excellent new electric cars, will there be enough buyers that want them?

And once EV sales eventually hit 15% or 20% and actually cause the demand for gasoline to drop, guess what will happen then? Gas prices will drop. Making EV's less attractive.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out.

model 3.jpgmodel s.jpg

Sorry, been dealing with NTEP, NISA, and AREMA all day, my acronyms got all mixed up. NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. They make the rules and regs about what safety requirements your car has to meet, how high the beltline is etc. The Cybertruck is an exoskeleton vehicle made of stainless steel meaning that the chassis support is built into the body panels of the car. This potentially could influence it's ability to pass the NHTSA crash test requirements and it's been speculated that the only way to really do that is to have it listed as a heavy duty vehicle which doesn't have to meet the same requirements of passenger vehicles.

Mainly, based on the design it could have a hard time pasing NHTSA and IIHS (which isn't gvt but tests all cars) if the vehicle is too rigid.

It also seems like a lot of other 'back of the napkin' Musk ideas which are fun in theory but likely won't ever become reality.

The average % of owners who have had issues with their Tesla's is 44%, Honda is at 15%, most mfgs are around ~20%. People love their Tesla because it's a status symbol atm. Once it doesn't have that status, and the EV market is actually competitive I think that their market share will tumble.

Consumer reports ranks Tesla 23rd.

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/consumer-reports-car-rankings/

Last edited:
It reminds me the dotcom era. How many did survive? only few Amazon and eBay that I know of. Same thing today, everyone tries to play catch up with Tesla. Ford, VW, Lucid, Rivian and GM, but none of them have made any profits with EVs yet. Who will survive/last?

Vinfast is Vietnamese car maker copy/use or with the help of german technology. I would not buy it

I don't think anyone on this forum is the market for that company. Im just pointing them out because to show that the EV market in the US is going to explode in the next 5 years and the main driver is going to be affordable cars in the 30-40k range (which is Vinfasts plan).

I wouldn't include GM, Ford, or VW in a conversation about .com bubbles. I'm sure they are fine. The smaller companies might come and go though. We have to keep in mind a lot of these new EV companies are tech/VC companies making EVs. They are not car companies making EVs. They are doing an ok job in general, but established car mfgs will have a leg up in quality, reliability and cost once they really get rolling in the EV market.

The wait time is partly Tesla capacity issues, line efficiency issues, and partly market issues. But they are slower to market than most of their EV competitors. Most Audi e-tron models are 4-5 months to delivery. This is because they have built in efficiencies in their factories, delivery lines, and supply lines.

Anyway, my overall point is that Tesla has had the EV market cornered with little to no competition but overall their cars aren't built as well as the major mfgs. Once those mfgs start turning out EVs (especially less expensive ones in the 30k range) Tesla's market share is going to tank. Enjoy the high stock while it lasts.

Back