• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tubi problems

I had my Comptech headers installed today, and it didnt fit with my Tubi.
The stock headers have a flex pipe that over time got bent from the poor fitment of the Tubi. It was so bad that the pipe started to lose its shape, and restrict the flow on one side.
The passenger side pipes started to turn purple, and blew out the seal were they connect to the cat.
The tips got so hot it burned and warped the rear sprat on the passenger side.
The 91 to 94 Comptech headers come with a short pipe, I am going to have it cut and bent to fit.
Is it just my Tubi, or does anyone else have these problems?

fa121125.jpg

I would have thought you could have got enough flex in the tubi mounting to make it line up properly - you may need to bend the hangers.
I wouldn't advise adjusting the header to match the exhaust but the other way around if necessary.
Make your connections first before hanging the Tubi, then decide what you need to do to make it fit the hangers properly - you might find it will go together much better that way anyway with enough give in the rubber bands.
I would basically make the joints between the headers & extenders & cats & exhaust, leaving them all slightly loose, then tighten all up once its hanging in place.

Hi D'Ecosse

I tried bolting it together before hanging it, it wont even come close to fitting. It slams up aginst the rear sprats.
The hangers are only one of the problems, the main problem is that the passenger side pipe is not bent enough to fit.

We left all the connections lose so we cold move it around, that didnot help at all.

The bigest problem is when you bolt it together, it wont even fit out the exahust holes on the rear vallance.

I am cutting only the short pipe that goes from the header to the cat not the header or exahust.
I might want to sell these parts later on.

Thanks Brian.

I also have the comptech headers n tubi on my 91. They were both installed at the same time and although it did not go up in a snap, it did fit with alittle persuation...... you may want to contact Larry B on this as he is the Tubi installation expert here.

Hi Brain,

Is your Tubi new? Just going on for the first time? Things look real new in the pics, but I think I am only looking at Comptech parts:).

If it is new some of them are just not 100%. Miled had a very similar problem and got a second one and all was well. Actually if the tips are off to the passenger side quite a bit this would be the 3rd I have heard of.

HTH,
LarryB

Hey larry
How are you?
My Tubi was from the second batch, I have had it for a year now.
I had fit ment issues with it when I first got it, I bent the hangers on the car and it worked fine. Or so I thought.

The pics are the Comptech header and the Comptech short pipe that goes to the cat.
The tips are WAY off to the passenger side.

I do remeber a post of someone who installed Taitec headers with the same problem.

I believe I got mine from the second batch also. I already had a set of DC headers installed. I removed the GruppeM exhaust that has a tendency to hang towards the driver side. I installed the cats and left the bolts loose, then installed the Tubi. I then tighten up all the bolts and it fit perfectly without any adjustment. Both sides had around 1/4 clearance from the valance.

I guess I was just lucky. Being lucky doesn't mean I'm smart. I sold this beautiful exhaust and now I wish I didn't.

Larry Bastanza said:
Miled had a very similar problem and got a second one and all was well. Actually if the tips are off to the passenger side quite a bit this would be the 3rd I have heard of.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi Brian,

I was also part of the second batch and the first Tubi unit I got was a terrible fit. It appeared that this exhaust was made for any other car than an NSX. No matter what adjustments were made to my unit (learned from other NSXers with their Tubi installs), nothing worked. On the passenger side (pictured here), the tips pressed firmly against the left side of the black valance, which is the opposite of the problem you are experiencing. So not only did it not fit, I couldn't drive the car as the exhaust would burn into the side if I did. On the driver side, the tips were way left of center.

Attachments

• pic00008.jpg
    pic00008.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,413
Last edited:
I will be posting a pic of the driver side shortly...

SennaPerfected said:
I will be posting a pic of the driver side shortly...

This picture shows how much left of center the driver tips were on the first unit. While the second unit I got was a significant improvement over the first, the tip fitment is still not 100%.

Despite Tino's efforts to get Tubi to re-evaluate the exhaust jig for the NSX, their attitude was that the NSX was a very small market for them, and they were too busy to even consider reviewing anything. In other words, take it or leave it.

Not all Tubi owners were as unfortunate as us, however. Larry B., Chris W., and Keith M. were one of the lucky few to get their Tubis an OEM fitment with the tips centered on both sides of their valances; and I believe they all have DC Sports headers on their cars as well.

Let us know of your outcome.

Ciao,

Miléd

Attachments

• pic00009.jpg
    pic00009.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,389
Last edited:
Thanks to all for your advice.
I will take some pics of how it turned out as soon as I get it back.
This is how they fit before the headers.
fbf87acb.jpg

fbf87b27.jpg

fb75526a.jpg

You can see how they are saging a little to the left in this pic. :eek: :D

Miled, are you running DC headers on your car?

I've got DC headers and a 2nd batch Tubi sitting in my basement waiting for installation. Was debating getting it done this week, but it just snowed again here so I'm just going to leave it til spring. Will post fitment details/pics once they do the install...

Arshad said:
Miled, are you running DC headers on your car?

Hi Arshad,

I have the Comptech headers on mine. It appears that NSXers with the DC headers set up have had the most success in getting the Tubi aligned properly on their NSXs.

When your instal is completed, take pictures like I did (looking directly at the exhaust vs. angled pics) so we can see the tip alignment (up & down/side-to-side) like I showed up above on my silver NSX.

Ciao... Miléd

Miled,

If I recall, you have a very early set of Comptech headers, and I thought these were actually the DC sport headers with the flex segment built in.

I am not 100% sure but I thought a newer set of Comptechs were quite different. Maybe someone else can validate that.

I did help Keith install his DC Sport Headers and Tubi and had no problem, but I thought he had a unit from the first batch, like mine.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Miled,

If I recall, you have a very early set of Comptech headers, and I thought these were actually the DC sport headers with the flex segment built in.

I am not 100% sure but I thought a newer set of Comptechs were quite different. Maybe someone else can validate that.

I did help Keith install his DC Sport Headers and Tubi and had no problem, but I thought he had a unit from the first batch, like mine.

Regards,
LarryB

Hi Larry,

I bought my Comptech headers back in 1998, so I guess that would be considered an early set. I'm pretty sure they are Comptech original because mine does not have that accordion-type segment for flex, but instead a different piece that flexes with the pipe.

DC Sport headers seem to have had the best fitment success with the Tubi exhaust.

Ciao... Miléd

A friend has just alerted me to this thread. I hope this is the right forum to discuss it. The "second batch" you guys refer to is exactly the same as it has been since TubiStyle started making the NSX muffler. The ONLY difference is the little "spacer" pipe welded on the driver side, between the two pipes; that was done to keep them from touching under extreme vibration. I have recently sent a "new" NSX stock muffler to the factory so that they can freshen up the jig or make a new one. (they've been using the same jig for all these years)
I've had my Tubi with DC headers for a couple of years now and they have fitted perfectly since that day. (photos follow). The only other Tubi "perfect" fit I have seen was on a few stock headers applications. Maybe the Comptech headers are slightly off the flange's stock location) .There have been no new NSX Tubi's for quite sometime now, we are trying to convince the factory to make a new batch very soon.

Driver's side

Attachments

• p1010021a.jpg
    p1010021a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,180
I had my Tubi installed with stock header and it was slightly off, about 1/4" after fuzzing with it for a while, I was happy with the results. Later I had DC headers installed and the car came back with the Tubis fitting pefectly. I am not sure if they had problems. I have DC headers, Comptech test pipes and early Tubis when it first came out.

Terry
91 red/black

bboxer said:
A friend has just alerted me to this thread. I hope this is the right forum to discuss it. The "second batch" you guys refer to is exactly the same as it has been since TubiStyle started making the NSX muffler. The ONLY difference is the little "spacer" pipe welded on the driver side, between the two pipes; that was done to keep them from touching under extreme vibration. I have recently sent a "new" NSX stock muffler to the factory so that they can freshen up the jig or make a new one. (they've been using the same jig for all these years)
I've had my Tubi with DC headers for a couple of years now and they have fitted perfectly since that day. (photos follow). The only other Tubi "perfect" fit I have seen was on a few stock headers applications. Maybe the Comptech headers are slightly off the flange's stock location) .There have been no new NSX Tubi's for quite sometime now, we are trying to convince the factory to make a new batch very soon.
Hi Tino,

Nice to see you're out there and you are definitely in the right thread. Since I have that little spacer pipe you explained above, that confirms that I have a Tubi from the second batch. To me, that's a good thing.:D

Like you, tc29 (who just posted here), and several other NSXers, it appears that the NSX Tubi exhaust fits best with the DC Sport header set up. If the opportunity arises in the future, I may switch my Comptech headers with a new set of DC Sport.

By the way, what year NSX stock exhaust did you submit to Tubi for a jig refresh or renew? I'm curious because aren't the '97 & newer exhausts different from '91-'96?

I appreciate all you have done to bring the Tubi to us. I only wish they were better in their quality control, and more cooperative with you. EFERESHTAL!;)

Ciao... Miléd

p.s. Are you hiring anyone in Cali? I found out 2 weeks before X-mas that I was going to be one of the 750 being laid off.:(

Last edited:
Larry B did indeed do a Wonderful job helping me install my DC Sports Headers and Tubi. The DC headers have the flex section, so maybe that is the reason for the successful install. My Tubi is from the first batch, and we did have to use a Dremel tool on one of the flanges. I wonder how many of you have done this. We did it to seat the "o" ring donut thingy properly to prevent exhaust leak. ( Larry's the man, Hi Larry ). Interestingly, the exhaust appears to line up even better when the car has been driven, and the muffler is hot - I guess the heat expands the pipes into position. I am very pleased with the install, and oh that sound:)

NSXLNT said:
The DC headers have the flex section, so maybe that is the reason for the successful install.

Hi Keith,

Not sure if the flex section is the reason for the successful install, but it appears the best fit has been for NSXers with the DC Sport header set up.

we did have to use a Dremel tool on one of the flanges. I wonder how many of you have done this. We did it to seat the "o" ring donut thingy properly to prevent exhaust leak.

My Tubi was from the second batch and Larry G. had to use the Dremel tool to remove the extra piping you speak of on both flanges, and for the exact same reason (to prevent exhaust leak). If that extra piping wasn't removed, the round gasket would not crush the way it was meant to.

Interestingly, the exhaust appears to line up even better when the car has been driven, and the muffler is hot - I guess the heat expands the pipes into position.

Hot or cold, mine remains in the same position.

I am very pleased with the install, and oh that sound:)

This is my second unit, and while the fit on this one is a significant improvement over the first, it is still not 100%. I kept mine because I luv listening to it sing, especially at WOT. Matter of fact, it was because of you (when you performed that pass at WOT) that I ordered one!
91.gif
j/k...
120.gif
And that "gurgle" sound it makes at idle is nice too.

From my personal experience, Tubi gets:
  • Sound = A
  • Finish = A
  • Fit = C-
Tino gets an A+ for all of his efforts in making this a reality, getting us the discount in the 2 group buys, and following thru all the way with excellent customer support answering any questions or issues one may have had (like I did with my first unit).

Ciao... Miléd

Back