• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

V10 instead of V8? Why?

for the LMP1 class engine limit is 4 liters under forced induction, (memory is lacking), not many seem to be running N/A engines in this class, my guess is b/c of the significantly larger straightaway speeds that can be obtained.

6liters N/A
5 liters turbocharged if running diesel
turbo engines must have a minimum of a 7 degree venturi angle
the restrictor is varying diameters in if you want 2 or just 1. for a 4 liter twin turbo engine can have either one 46.8mm, or two 33.4 restrictors.
hope this helps

Last edited:
V10 is a surprise. Why V10? I came to this. Its all about Greatness. If Honda put in a V8, within a few years, some people would want something better. The general public may consider a V8 from Honda nothing special since every jack of all trade performance car built by Domestic OEM has a V8. And to some people, a V8 from Honda is no better than a V8 from Ford.

Honda learned their mistake with all the criticism about the V6 engine. Honda doesn't want to repeat this mistake with a V8. A V10, on the other hand, speaks exotic. Its an image thing. I'm sure Honda can make a V8 perform as well without the need for a V10. But Honda wants to go after the general public perception that a V10 is no doubt an exotic car. Never again will the engine in the NSX be critized. A V12 is even better, but a bit excessive, whereas the V10 already meets the true exotic quotient.

Will this car be a sales Flop? I doubt it. I suspect these additional changes are in order to make it more comprehensive exotic car package:

- A host of new technologies applied on the V10
- Exotic materials (Aluminum and Carbon Fiber)
- Styling from Pinnafarina. Honda still has a working relationship with them.
- Advanced and new technolgy applied to the drivetrain, brakes, and safety
- Good fuel economy via new technologies and VCM. (IMA will not make it)
- A strong marketing campaign, not the current plain Jane marketing
- Much improved dealer support/customer service/sponsored events

It will be over $100K and compete with Carrera GT! Ferrari who?

I applaud Honda's leadership for taking this bold step. Looks like they have a strong Leader with Fukui.

Honda can do whatever they want and I'll love it. I just hope that Chris Bangle designs it. :biggrin:

White92 said:
Honda can do whatever they want and I'll love it. I just hope that Chris Bangle designs it. :biggrin:

If they let Bangle anywhere near a Honda design studio I swear I'll never buy another Honda as long as I live. He should be put in jail for ruining BMW.

As for the V10 being exotic, I don't see it. Yeah, the viper has one, but so what. So does the dodge ram, and ford econoline van. V10's are truck engines in my mind. Stupid association, but hey - it's there.

Silver F16 said:
V10 is a surprise. Why V10? I came to this. Its all about Greatness. If Honda put in a V8, within a few years, some people would want something better. The general public may consider a V8 from Honda nothing special since every jack of all trade performance car built by Domestic OEM has a V8. And to some people, a V8 from Honda is no better than a V8 from Ford.

Honda learned their mistake with all the criticism about the V6 engine. Honda doesn't want to repeat this mistake with a V8. A V10, on the other hand, speaks exotic. Its an image thing. I'm sure Honda can make a V8 perform as well without the need for a V10. But Honda wants to go after the general public perception that a V10 is no doubt an exotic car. Never again will the engine in the NSX be critized. A V12 is even better, but a bit excessive, whereas the V10 already meets the true exotic quotient.

Will this car be a sales Flop? I doubt it. I suspect these additional changes are in order to make it more comprehensive exotic car package:

- A host of new technologies applied on the V10
- Exotic materials (Aluminum and Carbon Fiber)
- Styling from Pinnafarina. Honda still has a working relationship with them.
- Advanced and new technolgy applied to the drivetrain, brakes, and safety
- Good fuel economy via new technologies and VCM. (IMA will not make it)
- A strong marketing campaign, not the current plain Jane marketing
- Much improved dealer support/customer service/sponsored events

It will be over $100K and compete with Carrera GT! Ferrari who?

I applaud Honda's leadership for taking this bold step. Looks like they have a strong Leader with Fukui.

Wow. Gee, this sounds so much like the NSX, it's not funny. Exotic. New technologies. Exotic materials. Ferrari who?

SALES FLOP.

It is not, and never will be a Ferrari. Hasn't ANYONE been listening? It doesn't MATTER how GOOD the car is, ok? ALL that matters here in NA is what BADGE is on the hood.

It's why the NSX didn't sell even a BETTER car than a Ferrari or Porsche and why the Z8 doesn't sell and why people buy Bentleys instead of $180,000 MBs. EVERY car has its price niche. Honda's and Acura's simply AREN'T in Porsche's realm. Neither is Lexus. LET Toyota produce a $150,000 car. Nobody will buy it. They'll sell a couple and then, people will get tired of having to defend that it's just a Toyota to the Italian owners' clubs.

Honda can succeed if they sell a sports car around $70,000 in today's dollars. That's about as high as a Japanese car can go for in NA. Any higher and it HAS to be German. The Germans top out in the low 100s, say 110 or 120. Any higher and it has to be Italian as a sports car or British as a saloon.

If Honda shows up w/ a 500hp V10 at $70k, I think they'll have a winner. The Viper and Vette are the model that have to be followed. The Viper is incredibly expensive for a Dodge and the fact that it's a Dodge has hindered it from Day One among buyers who cringed at the thought of driving a Dodge. But, it had 400, now 500hp, and a titanic engine. The Corvette was $40-55k, way cheaper. The Vette is and always has been a car that you bought to run w/ 911s but to save $40,000.

If Honda is dumb enough to AGAIN produce a better car than the Italians or Germans for NOT less than 1/2 the price and expect its objective technical superiority to win over buyers then they've learnt nothing.

Audi's supercar? Idiotic. They cannot sell Phaetons or A8s, much less a car w/ 4 rings on the hood and priced like a Lambo. The notion that they can is absurd.

Every top manager wants a supercar now, it seems, whether or not the thing will sell. Nissan, Mazda, and Honda have had sales success w/ relatively high-powered sportscars in the low 20s to low 30s.

Really, it will not matter how much hp the V10 makes, how good the torque vectoring is, if the car is made of unobtanium. If this is a series vehicle, potential buyers will STILL want a Ferrari.

It's because of CHICKS, dammit...start thinking like a girl. That means throw away nearly every piece of useful knowledge and focus on superficiality instead of substance. Once you do that for a minute, it becomes obvious why the Ferrari is the better car.

Two guys compete for a girl in a club. One says he drives a Ferrari, one an Audi or a Honda. Who gets the girl? DUH. Chicks have to SEE the NSX to be impressed by it...they can merely hear about the Ferrari.

Yes, I know, this doesn't MATTER to us, but the people here who love the NSX for what it does and how it does it, are NOT typical of the masses of people we have to depend upon to make this new car a sales success, you know the ppl who own Ferraris that sit in their garages all the time. Without lowest-common-denominators supporting our vehicle, it will get lost in the shuffle just like the NSX did.

liftshard said:
Wow. Gee, this sounds so much like the NSX, it's not funny. Exotic. New technologies. Exotic materials. Ferrari who?

SALES FLOP.

It is not, and never will be a Ferrari. Hasn't ANYONE been listening? It doesn't MATTER how GOOD the car is, ok? ALL that matters here in NA is what BADGE is on the hood.

It's why the NSX didn't sell even a BETTER car than a Ferrari or Porsche and why the Z8 doesn't sell and why people buy Bentleys instead of $180,000 MBs. EVERY car has its price niche. Honda's and Acura's simply AREN'T in Porsche's realm. Neither is Lexus. LET Toyota produce a $150,000 car. Nobody will buy it. They'll sell a couple and then, people will get tired of having to defend that it's just a Toyota to the Italian owners' clubs.

Honda can succeed if they sell a sports car around $70,000 in today's dollars. That's about as high as a Japanese car can go for in NA. Any higher and it HAS to be German. The Germans top out in the low 100s, say 110 or 120. Any higher and it has to be Italian as a sports car or British as a saloon.

If Honda shows up w/ a 500hp V10 at $70k, I think they'll have a winner. The Viper and Vette are the model that have to be followed. The Viper is incredibly expensive for a Dodge and the fact that it's a Dodge has hindered it from Day One among buyers who cringed at the thought of driving a Dodge. But, it had 400, now 500hp, and a titanic engine. The Corvette was $40-55k, way cheaper. The Vette is and always has been a car that you bought to run w/ 911s but to save $40,000.

If Honda is dumb enough to AGAIN produce a better car than the Italians or Germans for NOT less than 1/2 the price and expect its objective technical superiority to win over buyers then they've learnt nothing.

Audi's supercar? Idiotic. They cannot sell Phaetons or A8s, much less a car w/ 4 rings on the hood and priced like a Lambo. The notion that they can is absurd.

Every top manager wants a supercar now, it seems, whether or not the thing will sell. Nissan, Mazda, and Honda have had sales success w/ relatively high-powered sportscars in the low 20s to low 30s.

Really, it will not matter how much hp the V10 makes, how good the torque vectoring is, if the car is made of unobtanium. If this is a series vehicle, potential buyers will STILL want a Ferrari.

It's because of CHICKS, dammit...start thinking like a girl. That means throw away nearly every piece of useful knowledge and focus on superficiality instead of substance. Once you do that for a minute, it becomes obvious why the Ferrari is the better car.

Two guys compete for a girl in a club. One says he drives a Ferrari, one an Audi or a Honda. Who gets the girl? DUH. Chicks have to SEE the NSX to be impressed by it...they can merely hear about the Ferrari.

Yes, I know, this doesn't MATTER to us, but the people here who love the NSX for what it does and how it does it, are NOT typical of the masses of people we have to depend upon to make this new car a sales success, you know the ppl who own Ferraris that sit in their garages all the time. Without lowest-common-denominators supporting our vehicle, it will get lost in the shuffle just like the NSX did.

I think the name on the badge is important for the "chick" factor...but also because I think a lot of people who buy high end toys really arent "car guys" and therefore arent impressed by the superiority of technology in, say, an Acura. The name commands respect among those who have no clue what a piston rod is as well as there cluless circle of friends.

liftshard said:

SALES FLOP.

The only thing I say to that is Ford hasn't had a problem moving GT's at $200,000 each with markup.

Comparing the Ford GT is a bit different because it was a modern remake of THE car that slapped Ferrari in the face. It did not just show up and beat Ferrari, it manhandled Ferrari. Unfortunately Honda does not have the same type of situation. Yeah when the NSX came out it was better then a Ferrari, but a crappy one. If they make a monster Ferrari killer it will still be an Acura and will not have the Ferrari mystique. Any honest person on this website will testify to the mystique of Ferrari. Just like lifttshard said about defending a toyota to the Italian car club. The new car can be unreal, but Ferrari guys will still not want one, and redneck hard core Vette guys will still say the same dumbass things they say now. :rolleyes:

nuccaJB said:
Comparing the Ford GT is a bit different because it was a modern remake of THE car that slapped Ferrari in the face. It did not just show up and beat Ferrari, it manhandled Ferrari. Unfortunately Honda does not have the same type of situation. Yeah when the NSX came out it was better then a Ferrari, but a crappy one. If they make a monster Ferrari killer it will still be an Acura and will not have the Ferrari mystique. Any honest person on this website will testify to the mystique of Ferrari. Just like lifttshard said about defending a toyota to the Italian car club. The new car can be unreal, but Ferrari guys will still not want one, and redneck hard core Vette guys will still say the same dumbass things they say now. :rolleyes:

very true. but there are people out there who buy the best car, not the typical badge.

Everyone does things differently. Personally the only ferrari I would buy would be a 550M or 575M. the midengined ferrari's don't interest me, i'd take an NSX.

I was speaking to a small exotic dealership owner who had a chance for a GT at MSRP, then resell at markup, and he frowned on it and said, "Noone is gonna pay 150,000 for a Ford."

so, it DOES matter who you are, I understand that. but personally I know I wouldn't buy a ferrari cuz it has a ferrari badge, same goes with porsche, MB, bentley, etc...

There are a chunk of people however who've bought GT's who have no idea it's even a remake of an awesome car.

*I guess, thank goodness, there are different wants and needs, or we'd all be driving chevy's*

chumch said:
I think the name on the badge is important for the "chick" factor...but also because I think a lot of people who buy high end toys really arent "car guys" and therefore arent impressed by the superiority of technology in, say, an Acura. The name commands respect among those who have no clue what a piston rod is as well as there cluless circle of friends.

You don't really believe this garbage that you're saying, do you? If by high-end you are referring to Ferrari, the technology in the F430 is far, far superior to anything Honda has, let alone the 15 year old NSX. Have you ever looked at a 360/430 up close - the carbon fiber venturi tunnel down the underside of the car is both beatiful and generates over 600 lbs of downforce top speed (whereas the NSX generates lift at high speed). The engine burns fuel so efficiently that the exhaust bypasses the cat converters at high RPM, and still achieves LEV2 emissions. Add in its carbon/ceramic composite brakes, sequential transmission, electronic differential, steering mounted suspension controller, stability and launch control and you got one hell of a technically sophisticated car. So you're saying that the people on the 2-year waiting list for the F430 are all/mostly clueless?

Ferrari owners are probably the ultimate "car guys" and Ferrari keeps serving up the ultimate car-guy products. The F40, F50, Enzo, FXX, Challenge, and Challenge/Stradale. Not to mention that you can actually buy (if you had the cash) the actual F1 cars from previous seasons. The 2004 Ferrari F1 cars were just sold to private enthusiasts - how's that for technology.

Well there's plenty of people biased, I've heard ignorant comments as oh you drive a honda, honda's suck, but when I retort with what about an NSX or an s2k,they reply well that's different. Ignorant people tend to associate cars with the lowest on the tier instead of true intention of the car. Hence why when people hear of a Ferrari or a Bentley that have all their cars being rather out of reach from the avg person is deemed prestigious. Just another theory to throw into the bunch.

I do wish however the next NSX not be $100k+ so that it may be more easily obtained, maybe Honda will develop another MR sports car to appeal to the group that can afford a car in the $60k range rather than competing with the price range of Ferrari's and the likes there of.

However as long as there are people who appreciate the quality of engineering cars like the NSX have a target market.

Dave Hardy said:
Even if it's line built (which is a good thing IMO - hand built is over rated) then I suspect it will still be a midship transverse. Honda doesn't make a longitudinal engine in anything but the S2K. Their bread and butter is in transvers setups, and since the NSX set the precedent, I suspect the next one will follow suit.

Too ad only the S2000 is the last longitudinal mounted engine. Th91-95 Legends were all longitudinal mounted V6s as well, as well as the 96-2004 RL. All the 5 cylinder Vigors and 2.5L TLs were also inline 5s. I was actually very surprised to see the new 05 RL return to transverse mounted. I would have thought Honda would have stuck to the longitudinal mount since they did it in that line (Legend/RL) for 14 years.

Liftshard comment has merit. The badge is a very significant factor. 2 cars being technical equals, the badge does gets the nudge. But what is in the badge comes down to image. And image comprises of 2 things: Heritage & Marketing.

Honda has the racing heritage, what is missing is a continum in sports cars heritage. Honda started with S600, S800, then a long gap before the NSX, then S2000. What Honda lacked was a continuous commitment to sports cars. What happened between S800 and NSX. That was a few decades. In addition the NSX being kept around for 14 years with only a minor re-face demonstrate a lack of long term commitment to keep a sports car on top. Porsche and Ferrari definitely has the sports car heritage.

Without a sports car heritage, marketing is extremely important if you are selling a 6 figure car. This is where Honda needs to step up. Honda's marketing of sports cars has been a flop and poorly captures the link between Hondas racing heritage and their current sports cars. A commerical with IRL race cars doing donuts doesn't get me excited about NSX nor S2000. Clearly there is a technology link, but Marketing failed to draw it out. If Honda wants to sell a V10 sports car. Marketing needs to step up even more than the design staff.

Marketing is what gets your initial interest in the car. Sometimes, marketing touches on our shallow side because it is about image. Image gets our interest and leads many to buy the car because of the name plate. However, an image focused customer buying the badge will likely turn that car around for something sleeker or newer in a few years. Image does not have long term staying power, whereas a well rounded technically superior car will entice you to keep it forever. NSX definitely has the ladder, but is missing the former. I am hopeful that Honda will go all out with the marketing to make it a sales success.

The Carrera GT is an engineering masterpiece and is technically superior and more well rounded than the Enzo. Porsche failed due to poor marketing of this car.

Ferrari on the other hand does only a few things well. Ferrari is all about right brain stuff and things that excite our senses. The engine sound, the look, and the components that make it go, stop, and turn. That it. And granted they do a damn good job. But Ferrari is far from being well rounded. Ever look closely at body panel gaps on a Ferrari? Maintenance intervals? Not world class stuff here.

An article once wrote the NSX was an exotic car built and designed by people that went to college. What does that say about Ferrari? Even if the 2 cars are the same price, when the new NSX shows up, I may stare at the Ferrari, but I will hand over my dollars to Honda.

kenjiMR said:
Solution for the image pblem... Honda can start a 3rd brand like Toyota did, but make it even higher end than Acura. :)

Maybe borrow the Mugen brand even. Mugen NSX V2S.

Something along the lines of this maybe...

Honda = econo cars
Acura = lux sedans
3rd brand = sports cars

Silver F16 said:
Ferrari on the other hand does only a few things well. Ferrari is all about right brain stuff and things that excite our senses. The engine sound, the look, and the components that make it go, stop, and turn. That it. And granted they do a damn good job. But Ferrari is far from being well rounded. Ever look closely at body panel gaps on a Ferrari? Maintenance intervals? Not world class stuff here.

What doesn't Ferrari do well? Engine, brakes, chassis, suspension, aerodynamics, styling, interior, customer care are all world class. What's left? Maintenance intervals - what are the maintenance intervals on the F360 and how it is any worse than the NSX or anything else in the segment? Body panel gaps - sure, on cars from the 80's and early 90's. The manufacturing quality on Ferrari's modern products are as tight as anything out there.

Silver F16 said:
An article once wrote the NSX was an exotic car built and designed by people that went to college. What does that say about Ferrari? Even if the 2 cars are the same price, when the new NSX shows up, I may stare at the Ferrari, but I will hand over my dollars to Honda.

Maybe someone wrote such an article, but that doesn't make it true. To suggest that Ferrari does not have as many college educated people designing and building its cars is absolutely ridiculous. Based on the products delivered, one would have to surmize that they have the most and/or the best people in the business. Just look at the products and tell me what hasn't been designed with an incredible amount of skill, experience and technology? Look at their success in F1 over the past 5 years - they've consistently beat all other manufacturers in the world - including Honda - with technology, design and engineering.

Bashing Ferrari won't make the NSX any better of a car.

kenjiMR said:
Solution for the image pblem... Honda can start a 3rd brand like Toyota did, but make it even higher end than Acura. :)

Curious...is it only the U.S. that has to resort to renaming and rebranding to sell certain cars?

Silver F16 said:
An article once wrote the NSX was an exotic car built and designed by people that went to college. What does that say about Ferrari?

It says that back in 1991 when that article was written, the quality and engineering of the NSX was way beyond that of Ferrari.

That was a decade and a half ago. I assure you, it no longer applies.

In fact, the F430 is so far ahead of the NSX, you could say it is like an NSX, but engineered by people who are still alive! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Honda's investment in F1 and other race series is for one reason. To build image and racing heritage. A second NSX will do the same.

If you were to go back in time to when Ferrari started out and didn't have the heritage and pedigree it does now, people would have made comments about Ferrari not being up to par with Aston Martin, Jaguar and others.

Honda's don't have the wow factor of a Ferrari. They also don't have the maintenance and ownership costs of Ferrari.

Regardless of how fast the new Ferrari is in 3-4 years, a V10 NSX will go a long way to building the heritage, brand image and pedigree Honda wants for both its lines. They are building their wow factor.

stop complaining
there are 3 other great cars that use V10's
Carrera GT, m5, and m6

why not make a 12 and call it a day?
now all these power freaks can eat their own words about the NSX when this monster becomes alive

NSXchnk said:
stop complaining
there are 3 other great cars that use V10's
Carrera GT, m5, and m6

why not make a 12 and call it a day?
now all these power freaks can eat their own words about the NSX when this monster becomes alive

M5 and 6 are trash. Don't forget the Viper and Gallardo, the kings of the V10.

Ferrari engineering is so great that if you ever see a 430 with over 10K miles it will have lost 30% of it's value. Yeah, real reliable. Any Honda with less than 100K is a good find. Those of you that compare the reliability and engineering of Honda to Ferrari are obviously just kidding. Would you ever buy any 100K+ mile Ferrari and drive it across the country? Didn't think so.

valenzul said:
V10= V6 + 4cylinder Hybrid. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Acura confirms V10 for NSX replacement
Posted Jul 21, 2005, 3:00 PM ET by John Neff
Related entries: Sports/GTs

The ink has yet to dry on the NSX’s death certificate and already Acura has announced that a V10 will be the motivating force for its replacement when it arrives sometime in 2008 or 2009. This addresses the single largest complaint about the original NSX, which has always been its lack of power. No doubt this move was prompted by Nissan’s preparation of a new Skyline GT-R, as well as the announcement by Lexus of a new super coupe called the LF-A. [We openly welcome this battle between Japanese supercars -Ed. RH]

The largest complaint has been lack of power? Has the author of this statement driven the car? High 12s and 180mph doesn't sound like a lack of power to me. That seems a little faster than a Maserati Coupe, which has more "power".

isellpower said:

Ferrari engineering is so great that if you ever see a 430 with over 10K miles it will have lost 30% of it's value. Yeah, real reliable. Any Honda with less than 100K is a good find. Those of you that compare the reliability and engineering of Honda to Ferrari are obviously just kidding. Would you ever buy any 100K+ mile Ferrari and drive it across the country? Didn't think so.

What do you base your statements on - particularly that the M5 & M6 are trash? BTW, here's a 2 year old F360 spider with 10,000+ miles currently bid up to a bit under 90% of its MSRP. Given that F430's are selling for $50k or more over MSRP, one with 10,000 miles would still have around 100% of its MSRP value.

F360 spider on eBay with over 10,000 miles

2 year old NSX's aren't holding 90% of their value, nor are 1 year old or brand new NSX's for that matter.

isellpower said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure......

Back