• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are the best door speakers to use?

Getting the AVIC-F700BT for Christmas along w/ the XM Radio and HD radio modules, which door speakers should I get along with this system?

Also where can I find the live traffic module? I wasn't able to find it on their site... Thanks guys!

Speaker choices are very subjective. I would recommend that you go to a local stereo shop and listen to as many speakers as you can. This will help you to determine what sounds good to YOUR ears. Spend the time to listen to various speakers, you'd be glad you did.

If possible, audition a set with soft dome tweeters too. The NSX has ALOT of glass and from my experience of having 3 different sets of components in the car the metal tweeters sounded overly harsh at volume in the car.

According to their marketing material the Hertz set has a Tetolon dome tweeter. I think this is a made up marketing BS term, kind of like the Unobtainolon... most likely it is a metal dome tweeter. However, I would not rule it out as Hertz is owned by the same company that owns Audison which makes some good amps. As well, it looks like it's a coaxial so since the tweeter is down in the bottom of the doors it probably won't sound overly harsh. There are good and bad things about this. First the bad... high frequencies are very directional and the tweeter will be firing directly at your ankles (where your ears are not located). The good... locating the tweeter and the woofer close to each other is better for the phase and soundstage.

Cars are awful acoustical areas for stereo equipment so there are always tradeoffs, compromises, etc.

Best bet, find someone who has the SOS system and listen to it. But it looks like quality stuff and will probably be pretty good.

Last edited:
I was looking at the SOS kits. They don't look half bad and come with wires, door speaker plates, etc so it's nice to get all of it together.

However, the sub enclosure looks pretty big so be prepared for a loss of leg room on the passenger side. It's a shame that the Ztoolman discontinued his box because the V3 was a really small box that was very nicely made.

My door and sub speakers were blown out, so I replaced with the Pyle PLG6C 6.5" /1" component system and a Pyle PLG84 8" Sub w/ custom fiberglass box. They sound incredible and are not expensive. My amp is an a/d/s 840.2 8 Channel. In a car like the NSX, I don't know if you're really going to hear much of a difference with the ultra-high end stuff...

In a car like the NSX, I don't know if you're really going to hear much of a difference with the ultra-high end stuff...

I agree with his statement, so I went with the Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS speakers (instead of the Diamond Audio, Focal, etc. .). Cost was around $240 street (~$500 retail).

Pyle is definitely not something I'd put in my NSX.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0612_caep_pioneer_premier_ts_c720prs/index.html

0612_caep_01z+Pioneer_premier_ts_c720prs+pioneer_passive_crossover_network.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

As D'Ecosse said the Seas Lotus reference series is what he had in his NSX I bought Seas Lotus reference series.

I hope to get it mounted this winter. The NSX is in hibernation now until april/may.

Old thread where D-Ecosse talks about them.

D'Ecosse is alive and good I hope, but not around Prime anymore. That is sad as he was somewhat of a Guru on stereos in the NSX.

Regards

I would advise getting in the nsx's in your area with audio upgrades and pick for yourself as many have said.

I myself have a full memphis audio system with the memphis belle amp(big one) and the kevlar components along with their new slim sub in a v3 box and I love it! many have commented on how full it is and it can shake the block if needed ;)

http://www.mobilesq.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_64_67&products_id=147

what kind of subwoofer box will this speaker fit in for the NSX?

Also would you recommend that I buy an amp, component and subs from this same company? Never heard of them but the speakers look good and the specs are really impressive.

PM me your email and I think I can get you a killer deal on the Lotus Reference set. You can buy everything from them, they are legit. I've known the owners for a couple of years now.

Amps are up to you and what you want to spend. Are you looking for something to show/display, something that works, or both?

For sub box you have a couple of options.
1. PM Zetoolman to see if he has any enclosures left over
2. Have one custom made for you
3. Buy one in the "for sale" section"

What kind of bass did you want in the car? Hard hitting, boomy, tight and accurate, loud, etc?

Let us know what you're looking for (subs, comp set, amps, etc) and how much you want to spend then we can give you more suggestions.

PM me your email and I think I can get you a killer deal on the Lotus Reference set. You can buy everything from them, they are legit. I've known the owners for a couple of years now.

Amps are up to you and what you want to spend. Are you looking for something to show/display, something that works, or both?

For sub box you have a couple of options.
1. PM Zetoolman to see if he has any enclosures left over
2. Have one custom made for you
3. Buy one in the "for sale" section"

What kind of bass did you want in the car? Hard hitting, boomy, tight and accurate, loud, etc?

Let us know what you're looking for (subs, comp set, amps, etc) and how much you want to spend then we can give you more suggestions.

Hey man thanks for the reply...

I'm not looking to compete but I would consider myself to be an audiophile so I don't want any distortion no matter what the volume is. It looks like the subs can handle a very wide frequency range which is good..

Its kind of hard to say what kind of bass I'd like - I'd like it to be best of all the above. I sometimes listen to rap, house, and hard rock so there's definitely a range of different sounds there. So it will need to be accurate and tight for the rock, and be able to boom deep to the rap and house / drum and bass music that I listen to as well. Is this possible? Its been a long time since I have had a custom system in my car.

Looking to spend under $800 for the door speakers, sub and amp for the sub... is this reasonable? Obviously this price might not include the sub box which would be sealed right?

For the sub amp, I'd like something that is bridgeable so it can push both voice coils in the sub and deliver a nice clean signal. It would be nice to maybe mount this behind the passenger or drivers seat. The looks don't really matter that much to me but I want the installation to be clean with no wires showing etc.

I hope this isn't too picky! Let me know what you think! Thanks :cool:

Also for the door speakers I would be fine with coax door speakers to keep it looking as OEM as possible... But I have not found any coax speakers that are still available on the mobileSQ site that will fit the NSX's doors.

Last edited:
If you can find a local dealer, definitely check out rainbow audio. I know it is kind of a gay name, but they make incredible speakers and are German made. I have used all kinds of speakers from focal, rainbow, hertz, dynaudio, diamond, Sea Lotus. The only thing close to the rainbows was dynaudio which I though was a bit to soft. I have the rainbow pro's in my FD and I LOVE the sound, all powered by an audison 6 channel amp.

If you can find a local dealer, definitely check out rainbow audio. I know it is kind of a gay name, but they make incredible speakers and are German made. I have used all kinds of speakers from focal, rainbow, hertz, dynaudio, diamond, Sea Lotus. The only thing close to the rainbows was dynaudio which I though was a bit to soft. I have the rainbow pro's in my FD and I LOVE the sound, all powered by an audison 6 channel amp.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say those are going to be more than the $800 budget he has for "door speakers, sub and amp for the sub". . .

My system was made up of the Alpine PDX4.100 (bridgable) amp that drives the components and the sub, a Zetoolman V3 Sub with the Earthquake shallow woofer, and Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS components.

Using that EBay 30% cashback from Live Search, you should be able to get some pretty good deals on mid-range amps, speakers and components.
I like the Alpine amp because its really small for the amount of power it delivers.

Last edited:
My favorite mids are made by kicker (well the late 90's stuff). My fav highs are Inifinitys. My great all arounds are Polks. These are all basic affordable speakers available from just about anywhere. I didn't go into specifics on which line since much has changed in the past several years in car audio for me. But I still stick to my guns, the good ol' trusty stuff.

Pyle o' Crap. Yeah, sorry if it offends someone but..... yeah, some of us learned that in high school back in the mid 90s. Luckily I wasn't foolish enough to put my money into that stuff.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say those are going to be more than the $800 budget he has for "door speakers, sub and amp for the sub". . .

Not necessarily, if he sticks to the entry level components from rainbow, they run about $150 a set. Hertz makes some good entry level speakers as well.

I'm pretty much set on that sub so all I need is an amp that will push it - and coaxial door speakers. I dont want to have to cut up the door to install the tweeters... it would be nice but its too much work.

If possible, I'd like to go with one company for the door speakers and amp and sub... I really like the Lotus Sub that i linked above. It will fit just right in the SoS Sub box - but I'm not sure if the rubber surround will touch the grille plate when installed and running?

UR10_front_F.jpg

That's one gnarly lookin' sub!

Last edited:
If possible, I'd like to go with one company for the door speakers and amp and sub... I really like the Lotus Sub that i linked above. It will fit just right in the SoS Sub box - but I'm not sure if the rubber surround will touch the grille plate when installed and running?

UR10_front_F.jpg

That's one gnarly lookin' sub!

That sub will be very very accurate, but if you are looking for something that is more spl orientated, I would look else-where.

Back