• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can I do to make my NSX "GROWL" more? :)

Might be a little heavier but I love it :)

Don’t get me wrong.. I always like the 5.1's and other pretzel style exhausts... it is heavy.. but I do like it

My true comment is the fact that TxvsLV's turned out CRAZY... flow is so good his intake is currently coughing

WOT is insane

MOSES… where you at dog :smile:

Or possibly anyone on the track at NSXPO could comment…

Not loud enough? haha yea ok :rolleyes::biggrin:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s4z5PYwADzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm pretty confident that the BATMANs edition STMPO exhaust is louder.......

guys I'm sure your custom exhausts are LOUDER but that is not what I want nor do I want to run straight-pipes on a N/A car since I do not wish to attract LEO anytime soon :)

If you guys truly think all I need is a header to gain some "refined" growl then I'm game! I really don't want to hack up my stock car and the GT5.1 is a sweet muffler setup for my purposes.

Who makes the best header for the 02+ cars that will not trip any CEL?

thanks!

guys I'm sure your custom exhausts are LOUDER but that is not what I want nor do I want to run straight-pipes on a N/A car since I do not wish to attract LEO anytime soon :)

If you guys truly think all I need is a header to gain some "refined" growl then I'm game! I really don't want to hack up my stock car and the GT5.1 is a sweet muffler setup for my purposes.

thanks!

Comptech is carb certified and works great - don't waste your time with TopSpeed or any of those other knock offs as its a waste of $ and time and you'll be chasing your tail w/ CEL issues... I love my CT headers! never one CEL and sounds amazing..... you might also look into having them ceramic coated to lower engine bay temps :)

thanks!

The best header is already on your car... pound for pound.. gains are minimal for the $ spent.

and I hope you dont think a STMPO Messiah needs you to hack up a car.

Batmans had a slip joint on his RM AM header... so we fixed the header.. with a more proven connection... a v-band.

The best header is already on your car... pound for pound.. gains are minimal for the $ spent.

and I hope you dont think a STMPO Messiah needs you to hack up a car.

Batmans had a slip joint on his RM AM header... so we fixed the header.. with a more proven connection... a v-band.

He's not talking about HP gains he's talking about sound...

and you don't have to hack up your car for any of these mods mentioned here.

He's not talking about HP gains he's talking about sound...

and you don't have to hack up your car for any of these mods mentioned here.

so was I... NA1 for sure... but NA2.. minimul at best.. but sound is opinion..

BTW - that vid is cool... the canyon drive... nice sound in cabin for sure!

so was I... NA1 for sure... but NA2.. minimul at best.. but sound is opinion..

BTW - that vid is cool... the canyon drive... nice sound in cabin for sure!

thanks man! Yea my friend was taking video from my phone and the drivers side window was down so theres a bit of wind noise but its not too bad... it was a fun road to drive though!

But yea it doesn't really matter what exhaust you get its going to sound lame without aftermarket headers. I remember when I had my OEM headers on my GT Extreme it sounded awful. :redface:

s4play:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Comptech/headers/

Grab these you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
What about the Fujisubo header?

Can the Comptech header even be bought right now? :(

My car is not heavily modded so don't need the most free-flowing system. In fact from what I understand N/A cars need some backpressure so too much flow is bad right?

My car is not heavily modded so don't need the most free-flowing system. In fact from what I understand N/A cars need some backpressure so too much flow is bad right?

If you want to spend $3k on a header go right ahead :)

I think the headers are great and it does give you better throttle response.... I think Shad from Driving Ambition can get the CT headers.

I have a set of CT headers I would sell you.. they have the flange cut off and a v-band installed... I'd take 1100.00 for them - slightly used

the v-band can be your friend for a long time... easy to swap cats/test pipes/am cats without hassle

lmk

thanks man! Yea my friend was taking video from my phone and the drivers side window was down so theres a bit of wind noise but its not too bad... it was a fun road to drive though!

But yea it doesn't really matter what exhaust you get its going to sound lame without aftermarket headers. I remember when I had my OEM headers on my GT Extreme it sounded awful. :redface:

s4play:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Comptech/headers/

barely heard the wind dude...lol... to much other stuff to listen to

s4play:

wow! what kind of power are you making to the wheels? the sound is so beautiful i want to cry. lol

wow! what kind of power are you making to the wheels? the sound is so beautiful i want to cry. lol

haha thanks man I have no idea how much power I'm making I would like to think its over 300HP at the crank but I've never put it on a dyno lol

I'm pretty confident that the BATMANs edition STMPO exhaust is louder.......

I'm sure its loud without any mufflers but there's a point to where its either loud or tooo damn loud . I like to save my hearing for when I get older. :)

Last edited:
Speaking from experience which sometimes is rare on this board... I have a OBDI (no 3rd and 4th O2s to trip the CEL) and I converted, this weekend, from Top Speed headers to NA2 headers in preparation for other mods down stream. With the TS headers I was running the factory OE Cats. I'm now running on NA2 headers and HF 300 cell cats (despite knowing about issues with smog). Same muffler on both applications.

The NA2/HF setup is significantly quieter. This is even with the HF cats! The sound is more refined but the "growl" is gone. I have a quiet HKS muffler so any nuance in sound changes is very apparent.

P.S. I have nothing but good things to say about TopSpeed headers. They are the best bang-for-your-buck headers and are a direct copy of the old DC headers. Yes, you can spend double or even up to $3k for headers but I would rather spend that $ elsewhere. Each header design has it's pros and cons (i.e. torque curve, high HP, better low or top end, etc..) but these are hardly junk.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience which sometimes is rare on this board... I have a OBDI (no 3rd and 4th O2s to trip the CEL) and I converted, this weekend, from Top Speed headers to NA2 headers in preparation for other mods down stream. With the TS headers I was running the factory OE Cats. I'm now running on NA2 headers and HF 300 cell cats (despite knowing about issues with smog). Same muffler on both applications.

The NA2/HF setup is significantly quieter. This is even with the HF cats! The sound is more refined but the "growl" is gone. I have a quiet HKS muffler so any nuance in sound changes is very apparent.

P.S. I have nothing but good things to say about TopSpeed headers. They are the best bang-for-your-buck headers and are a direct copy of the old DC headers. Yes, you can spend double or even up to $3k for headers but I would rather spend that $ elsewhere. Each header design has it's pros and cons (i.e. torque curve, high HP, better low or top end, etc..) but these are hardly junk.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75778&page=12

Read post #296 - To me yes the topspeed headers ARE junk and no one should ever waste their money on these (for 1995 and newer cars) People with 91-94 may have not had any issues......

for me these headers caused me to fail smog at least 4 times with brand new OEM cats and brand new o2 sensors... as soon as I replaced the headers the car was fine. So yea this is MY EXPERIENCE. The fitment is another issue - the front bank headers were rubbing against something under the engine and there's nothing you can do about this...

Why waste your time with cheap knock offs and end up having to replace them 6 months down the road? Do it right the first time and cough up the change to do it right. Again this is my personal experience. I learned the hard way to not cut corners.

By the way for those that don't know, it doesn't matter what muffler you use - it won't affect your smog test. All that matters is headers / cats.

Last edited:

Read post #296 - To me yes the topspeed headers ARE junk and no one should ever waste their money on these (for 1995 and newer cars) People with 91-94 may have not had any issues......

for me these headers caused me to fail smog at least 4 times with brand new OEM cats and brand new o2 sensors... as soon as I replaced the headers the car was fine. So yea this is MY EXPERIENCE. The fitment is another issue - the front bank headers were rubbing against something under the engine and there's nothing you can do about this...

Why waste your time with cheap knock offs and end up having to replace them 6 months down the road? Do it right the first time and cough up the change to do it right. Again this is my personal experience. I learned the hard way to not cut corners.

By the way for those that don't know, it doesn't matter what muffler you use - it won't affect your smog test. All that matters is headers / cats.
Bummer you didn't pass smog. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Definitely makes me happy to have an OBDI when these things come up.

How do headers affect your smog check results? I have never heard of this. I understand how bad cats could cause you to fail a smog check since the purpose of the cats are to eliminate certain chemicals from the exhaust gases but how do bad headers cause you to fail smog?

How do headers affect your smog check results? I have never heard of this. I understand how bad cats could cause you to fail a smog check since the purpose of the cats are to eliminate certain chemicals from the exhaust gases but how do bad headers cause you to fail smog?

Visually if the aftermarket headers don't have a CARB EO# then they will fail that portion.

The issue with headers, especially the long tube ones that are longer and generate more power and noise is that they can move the original position of the OEM cats further down.

The further down the exhaust the cooler it is as heat will dissipate from the exhaust pipes. Cats require heat to do their job in cleaning up the exhaust.

I have had great success in mitigating the loss of heat by having the headers and pipes before the cats ceramic coated.

Asides from visual, it can also be the placement of the O2 sensors. I have no idea, nor should i guess, as to cause on enkrypt3d failure but some poorly designed headers have the o2 bung on one of the header pipes instead of at the collector (i'll look to see if the TS headers have this problem but I don't think they do based on memory). The sensor then only collects information from that single cylinder which can potentially have some other underlying issues. OBDII cars are more sensitive to exhaust changes in general but they also probably run cleaner when it's working haha.

Bats - I agree with you that getting the cats up to proper operating temp *might* be the problem in some isolated cases (this is actually the first i've heard of headers failing smog...shrug) but most mass-marketed headers for our cars don't move cat placement relative to stock. I would also agree that NA2 could be the equivalent of "shorties" in the American V8 world. Long tube is ideal to better manage/optimize the exhaust pulses but i'm not an expert on this subject.

Asides from some fitment issues for some folks, the one area the TS headers don't do well is in the collector.

The TS headers look like this:
modp_0905_09_o+project_nsx+rusting_interior_view.jpg

A more expensive header with a better collector should look like this:
modp_0905_05_o+project_nsx+cut_away_view.jpg

Then you start thinking... well... do I want to spend double and sometimes waaaaay more than double for a few extra (5+hp?) ponies? That's my argument. This is why I don't think the TS headers are "junk" per say. Personally, I'd rather spend it on suspension or non-compliance parts that actually will help me go faster but everyone has different priorities.

Also, if someone is interested in a layman's explanation on short tube vs. long tube headers I found this video to be worthwhile. Start around 6mins:30sec.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n8VlynaUVO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

One thing to note about these headers is if you live in a state that has strict smog laws, these headers will cause your car to fail smog. This is because the o2 sensor on the front bank header is only monitoring one cylinder rather than all 3, so the ECU thinks the car is running lean so it adds more fuel... the result is failed smog and you end up burning more gas. I tried this with OEM cats / Random Tech cats & Prospeed cats... nothing made a difference until I replaced the headers.

After dealing with this issue myself and banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the issue was, I bought CT headers and saw the o2 sensor was at the collector not on one of the runners, the car passed smog with flying colors.... going the cheap way out will usually bite you in the ass in the end.

Here's why from the other thread

3ypbuw9.jpg

You can see the o2 bung is on the runner not the collector here on the front bank.... (on the right)

Last edited:
Visually if the aftermarket headers don't have a CARB EO# then they will fail that portion.

The issue with headers, especially the long tube ones that are longer and generate more power and noise is that they can move the original position of the OEM cats further down.

The further down the exhaust the cooler it is as heat will dissipate from the exhaust pipes. Cats require heat to do their job in cleaning up the exhaust.

I have had great success in mitigating the loss of heat by having the headers and pipes before the cats ceramic coated.

Asides from visual, it can also be the placement of the O2 sensors. I have no idea, nor should i guess, as to cause on enkrypt3d failure but some poorly designed headers have the o2 bung on one of the header pipes instead of at the collector (i'll look to see if the TS headers have this problem but I don't think they do based on memory). The sensor then only collects information from that single cylinder which can potentially have some other underlying issues. OBDII cars are more sensitive to exhaust changes in general but they also probably run cleaner when it's working haha.

Bats - I agree with you that getting the cats up to proper operating temp *might* be the problem in some isolated cases (this is actually the first i've heard of headers failing smog...shrug) but most mass-marketed headers for our cars don't move cat placement relative to stock. I would also agree that NA2 could be the equivalent of "shorties" in the American V8 world. Long tube is ideal to better manage/optimize the exhaust pulses but i'm not an expert on this subject.

Asides from some fitment issues for some folks, the one area the TS headers don't do well is in the collector.

The TS headers look like this:
modp_0905_09_o+project_nsx+rusting_interior_view.jpg

A more expensive header with a better collector should look like this:
modp_0905_05_o+project_nsx+cut_away_view.jpg

Then you start thinking... well... do I want to spend double and sometimes waaaaay more than double for a few extra (5+hp?) ponies? That's my argument. This is why I don't think the TS headers are "junk" per say. Personally, I'd rather spend it on suspension or non-compliance parts that actually will help me go faster but everyone has different priorities.

Also, if someone is interested in a layman's explanation on short tube vs. long tube headers I found this video to be worthwhile. Start around 6mins:30sec.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n8VlynaUVO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

For what its worth. I have the Topspeed headers and Prospeed HFCs and I passed smog here in Cali.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

For what its worth. I have the Topspeed headers and Prospeed HFCs and I passed smog here in Cali.

Once again I'm only talking about Top Speed headers that are for 1995 and NEWER...... you won't have this issue if you have OBDI or a 91-94 because the o2 bung is on the collector and NOT just monitoring one cylinder which is what its doing for the OBDII headers.

Back