• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would you guys get?

E36 M3 or S14 240SX with SR20 swap

• E36

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • SR20

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
I'm about to add another car to the stable... I've gone back and forth a bunch of times but I think I've narrowed it down to two potential vehicles. Fairly opposite, yet somewhat similar imo.

Basically I need another toy with back seats that's RWD and fun.

E36 M3 (1995-1999) or S14 240SX with an SR20 swap (turbo swap.)

I want an older car because I don't want to really insure it... just want a beater/fun car. Both cost close to $10k... both are a ton of fun to drive but in different ways.

I've driven 3 M3's already but can't find one I like... checking out another one tomorrow. Also checking out my first 240SX tomorrow as well. The 240's run cheaper, but not by much... then there's the questionable BMW reliability plus cost of parts to fix em. not sure if I want that or not... but then again, the 240SX will be a motor swapped car, potentially having it's own issues.

Not sure what to do anymore. lol.

I'm about to add another car to the stable... I've gone back and forth a bunch of times but I think I've narrowed it down to two potential vehicles. Fairly opposite, yet somewhat similar imo.

Basically I need another toy with back seats that's RWD and fun.

E36 M3 (1995-1999) or S14 240SX with an SR20 swap (turbo swap.)

I want an older car because I don't want to really insure it... just want a beater/fun car. Both cost close to $10k... both are a ton of fun to drive but in different ways.

I've driven 3 M3's already but can't find one I like... checking out another one tomorrow. Also checking out my first 240SX tomorrow as well. The 240's run cheaper, but not by much... then there's the questionable BMW reliability plus cost of parts to fix em. not sure if I want that or not... but then again, the 240SX will be a motor swapped car, potentially having it's own issues.

Not sure what to do anymore. lol.

240 only:biggrin:

I will sell you the black audi a4 3.0L allwheel drive 2002 $10K:frown: Daughters car, she had to give it back me. brand new rubber all the way around.

I will sell you the black audi a4 3.0L allwheel drive 2002 $10K:frown: Daughters car, she had to give it back me. brand new rubber all the way around.

Why'd she give it back?

I've done the Audi thing, think I'm done for a bit.... I do have a friend who's looking for an Audi, PM me all the details John so I can pass it on to him. He's just back from Japan and will be buying a car in the next few weeks for him and the wife.

I've driven a ton of M3's now... just made an offer on one, but he probably won't take it. We'll see.

I'd love to get a 240, it's just hard to find one that isn't beat to shit. The RB26 swap sounds pretty cool tho... would make things fun for sure.

I'm going to probably back off the hunt and just wait for a great deal instead of trying to force one... see what comes across my path.

Have you driven a 240 yet? They're pretty cheap compared to what you're used to. I'm not sure I could do it.

I was in a similar situation to you not that long ago, and you can see my signature for what I ended up with... Yes, there's the question of BMW reliability and what not, but the fact of the matter for me was that ultimately a swapped car has huge potential to be a big disaster. Being a Z guy, I've come into contact with a lot of S13/S14 guys, and don't take offense to this anyone, but it seems very very common practice for them to ghetto rig a bunch of crap. The tendancy to skimp on parts and the extensive use of zip ties becomes a normal thing in that community. :D Are they all like that? Of course not. But like you said, it's difficult to find one that hasn't been beaten to all hell.

On the other side of the coin, I really enjoy my M3. I haven't had it terribly long, but its proven to be a very comfortable, yet fun daily driver. It's nice and calm when you want it to be, but can be very engaging when you're on your way home from the office and want to burn off a little steam. :D The interior is hugely dated, but you're going to run into that with either a 240SX or the M. My biggest complaint with my M thus far is that I haven't dumped any money in it to buy an exhaust yet. :D It's way too quiet from the factory!!

Well, with the 240 I was going to try and find a late model S14... Keoki or whatever the lingo is and do all the engine work myself. (by which I mean pay someone to do it).

So basically just find a car that hasn't been abused (nearly impossible) and do an SR20 or RB26 swap with it.

On the flip side M3's are just frickkin cool.

I made an offer on the one I just drove... no reply yet, I may have pissed him off.. He wanted $13k, I offered $11. It is Estorial Blue, but there are some mods to it, etc...

There's a guy with a SC'd Silver one that I'm going to take a peek at in a few weeks. In the meantime I'm still watching craigslist daily for 240's.

Dude, just take the SC off the NSX then you can come out and play with the rest of us.:eek:

Well I have both actually an s13 with sr20det right hand drive and a e36 but not m3, but I would go for the s14 its a really fun car to drive and parts for the sr20 is all over the place and quite reasonably price.
sr20det rocks.

Go with the nissan...much more can be done at a far lower cost.

and the car will have better resale value if you want to move on to something else.

Go with the nissan...much more can be done at a far lower cost.

and the car will have better resale value if you want to move on to something else.

Thanks John! Where have you been? lol I'm actually shelving both ideas and waiting till next spring. No point in getting one now.

Things have been crazy...my Biz partner broke his arm and our main tech's wife had a baby.

We also had a death in the family, things have been upside down this year.

I'm hoping things get back to normal soon.:redface:

JZ

Things have been crazy...my Biz partner broke his arm and our main tech's wife had a baby.

We also had a death in the family, things have been upside down this year.

I'm hoping things get back to normal soon.:redface:

JZ

Yeah it was a bit crazy when I went to get my oil changed and you guys only had half a mechanic. :rolleyes: Matthew was not having a good day I could tell.

It's been a crazy couple months but we are doing fine and Matthew should be back in his element in a few days :smile:

JZ

I've had a tracked out s13 with sr20det motor for a little while. if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

With that being said, is the s14 a kouki (angry eyes) or zenki? If it were a kouki SE, i'd say s14. if zenki, meh, not my cup of tea. yes, you can do the "02 conversion" on it to make it a kouki front, but IMO not worth the money.

E36 is fun, but not as nearly as cheap to maintain an S-chassis.

My vote goes to the S14.

PS, i have plenty of hookups down here in SoCal.

Back