• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where to place a Vortec Super FMU fuel pressure regulator

I need some help finding a good spot to place the new fuel pressure regulator. It's one of the large, circular Vortec regulators. Here is a pic of my engine below without the regulator.

View

here is a pic of the regulator

View

Currently, it is bolted on top of the chrome piece next to the alternator. It's quite large and it looks tacky up there... almost touching the glass sitting on top. We finally got the NOS tuned and working well at about 3am saturday morning so we didn't have time to look for a good spot. It's a great looking piece and I would like to have it visible, but I can't figure out a good spot to bolt it down in the
engine compartment where it doesn't stick up like that. If anyone has this larger size regulator, where have you placed it and how did you do it? I need ideas on where this could go. Right now, it's making a nice engine compartment look tacky.
Thanks

BTW- The NOS is working fantastic. I've only had a few runs while testing that night. The bottle was empty by the time we were done.

Did you get an additional fuel pump too? I would also be interested to hear your testing experiences regarding tire hookup, etc.? Are you using a progressive controller? It looks like you are using the RM kit, are you still at a 70 shot or are you running a larger pill? Congrats, I am getting ready to do an install sometime soon.

Mine is bolted to the inside of the engine compartment, up against the side. Just low enough so that the deck lid would close if I had one.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on it? On my Paxton regulator, the gauge bolts right in to the regulator, so it is very convenient.

Thanks.
Actually, I had it moved to where David has it. It was a bit conspicuous up there. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet, but I definitely plan to get one.

As for the install, it was custom by Larry different than I have seen. I think I was the guinea pig.
smile.gif
It is a wet system with about 100 shot (haven't done a dyno yet). The nozzle bypasses the intake, bypasses the throttle body, and goes straight into the intake manifold. Larry explained the reason for this to me when I was dumb enough to doubt him again.
Apparently, going through an intake or throttle body has a negative in that the first injectors get most of the NOS shot. By putting the nozzle where he did, hidden under the block straight into the intake manifold, it distributes the NOS much more evenly to all injectors. That's simplified of course. I can't explain the whole thing without butchering it.

Tire hook up has not even been an issue. I expected a kick in the pants, but I was surprised to find it VERY smooth, almost unnoticeable. All of a sudden, the car just starts accelerating much faster as though VTEC kicked in... only MUCH stronger. No progressive controller yet. Maybe if I go bigger someday I will use that.
I have not been in other NOS NSXs, so I'm unsure if I'm supposed to get a kick. Maybe the effect is different depending on how the kit is installed. No clue on that one.

Back