• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which aftermarket exhaust?!

I fabricated my own exhaust installation using the Flowmaster muffler.
The muffler is only steel (not stainless) however the gauge is quite heavy and I don't expect I'll have a problem with rust in summer usage. To combat outside rust I spray zinc'd the whole system followed by a coat of black high heat paint.
I did weigh the system before welding and noted that the Flowmaster muffler ways 15 Lbs. With the stock intake pipes plus 2.25 exhaust pipes welded on including adjustable hangers.....the entire system weighed 31 Lbs.
The stock muffler assembly for my 93 weighed in at 51 Lbs before I cut off the intake pipes. The stock muffler without the intake pipes weighs in at 35 Lbs.
When I cut off the intake pipes off the stock muffler I cut them 1" away from the muffler to allow re-welding of the stock intake pipes should I not like the sound of the flowmaster.
Sound wise? I kept my cats on and yes it is loud at wide open throttle, however the sound is not objectionable in the interior at all (the car is well insulated) and in fact was a lot quieter than I originally expected. There is a nice rumble at idle though and the dreaded "sewing machine sound" is thankfully gone. On the highway, cruising is quiet unless you floor it. There is no boominess in the interior at any rpm. And if you want it quieter outside, just you 1 7/8 exhaust pipes in place of the 2.25".
One added bonus.......when engaging the clutch off the line, hearing the engine makes clutch engagement more intuitive (you don't have to look at your revs)..... with minimal slipping of the clutch.

newby said:
I've never understood the idea of wanting LOUD exhaust. I can understanding wanting more engine performance so you look for a free flowing exhaust....but what's with the noise...

To be clear...I for one do not want 'noise'..I want 'tuned agressiveness' from my exhaust. I love the sound of the NSX naturally, but I love the attitude it gives the car when you have a properly tuned exhaust on there. If I just wanted 'noise' I would saw off the exhaust all together. See what I mean? :wink:

Meeyatch1 said:
To be clear...I for one do not want 'noise'..I want 'tuned agressiveness' from my exhaust. I love the sound of the NSX naturally, but I love the attitude it gives the car when you have a properly tuned exhaust on there. If I just wanted 'noise' I would saw off the exhaust all together. See what I mean? :wink:

Yeah, you make a good point. I guess I'm basing my comments off the tuned up civics and WRXs I’ve heard.... I've never heard a finely tuned NSX exhaust... A little rumble isn't bad...I just dislike the loud obnoxious exhaust. I’ll have to go to the NSXPO next year and check out some different setups…

NSX FoYOAss…… you got me. My 600RR is a bit noisy, but as long as you idle around the neighborhood (which I do), it’s not bad. If you get on it….she comes alive. It’s not nearly as bad as my buddy’s who has an aftermarket exhaust. The only difference between my situation and upgrading the NSX is that my bike comes stock with this exhaust…I don’t think you can buy a kit to lower the noise.

I’d upgrade to the 1000RR if I were you. I’ve driven R6s while comparing to the 600RR and there is no comparison. The seating is so much more neutral on the RR. I would have bought the 1000cc, but I scare myself enough on a 600. Maybe I’ll upgrade in a couple years…. Your R1 is nice though.... I would have gone with the Yamaha if Honda wouldn't have manned up and built the RR...

Back