• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why did you buy an NSX?

To own a NSX is to have a good woman around. It treats you nice with very little drama, and you can always count on her. Not to mention the look you get from others. It is comfortable, fast enough, beautiful, and graceful.

What is there not to like?

I'll catch hell for this one but...

What is there not to like?

I get flagged down by guys of all ages...

As much as I love to drive some of my cars that are considered "higher profile," when I'm driving I'm a very 'to myself' person. A thumbs up or a wave is fine but when people come up and just start up a conversation, it's just not my thing. By all means I'm polite, I wont lie or tell them to go away, but it just gets old some days. Like I said in another thread, I'm here for the car, not the title.

Over any other car you could have had in the price range, including a MK4 TT Supra, what made you feel as if the NSX was the best choice for you? I'm curious because I'm going back and forth between the NSX and another Supra. Part of me misses the sound of that I6 with a single large turbo strapped to it (Not to mention the feel of the whole car), the other side of me really wants a lightweight, RWD, N/A that I can road race with a little easier.

I guess I've just never even driven an NSX and I'm worried I could be jumping into the wrong boat. Right for some, but not for me?

My personal opinion is you have no right posting on this tread until you have driven an NSX or any other car you would consider buying. Then based on your personal preference go hunt for the best car in your price range. You have many posts so far for which I'm most respectful. In the end you need to go figure and get what fits you. Supra versus NSX, dump the Supra on style alone....but don't start telling me the Supra is a nice car!!

The car is the bomb man! Just knowing that I have her is enough...and I live in an environment where I can only start driving her at the end of June! The Supra and the RX7 lack the interior refinement of the NSX and they are not hand assembled!

To have the priviledge of owning a hand assembled machine that has the energy of Aryton Senna pumping through its core is beyond anything. To own the best...is to know the best...NSX.

Dam :cool:

I'll catch hell for this one but...

As much as I love to drive some of my cars that are considered "higher profile," when I'm driving I'm a very 'to myself' person. A thumbs up or a wave is fine but when people come up and just start up a conversation, it's just not my thing. By all means I'm polite, I wont lie or tell them to go away, but it just gets old some days. Like I said in another thread, I'm here for the car, not the title.

The same aspects that draw those people to strike up a conversation with you about your car is also what draws you here to ask about the car also.
It's not so much an entitlement thing. Some people have an admiration for the car and want to pick the owner's brain ( since, after all, you did buy something interesting like an NSX and not something boring like a 996 :wink: ). However, what you'll find is that a vast majority of the people asking you about the car have no idea what it is.
I actually enjoyed entertaining questions and maybe giving a little bit of the history of the car ( since most people didn't know what it was ). My favorite question to ask people was:

ME: What year do you think it is?
THEM: 2006?
ME: 1991
THEM: WOW

The car's gone now ( to playswfire who posted above ^^^^^^ ), but if I want to entertain questions again, I just drive my 75 S30ZG copy around :biggrin:

Having said that, another NSX is on my to-do list for 2011.

Girls love my car...so the Vette thing and saying i picked the wrong car, NOPE...I picked the right car. And heck it might not be the car...I must be smelling good lately. besides the fact i was kidding...

:rolleyes:

I run about 50/50 Girls/guys interested in the NSX - questions range from "what year?" to "what is it?" to "who parked that Ferrari in my driveway?"

My personal opinion is you have no right posting on this tread until you have driven an NSX or any other car you would consider buying. Then based on your personal preference go hunt for the best car in your price range. You have many posts so far for which I'm most respectful. In the end you need to go figure and get what fits you. Supra versus NSX, dump the Supra on style alone....but don't start telling me the Supra is a nice car!!

What Sidwac said! But I would lighten up just a bit on him. I mean after all I posted before I bought just to find out about what the car is, etc. The guy that started the thread on the other hand is wanting someone to convince you why you should buy an NSX over a Supra. Go out and drive one cause no matter what we say it won't mean anything to you till you at least get in one and listen to the motor.

I followed another one home yesterday in my Prius cause I was hauling something - it was a black one - man did it sound good! It was a 98. If you have enough funds as in around 40+ you will have the option to get a NA2 NSX - I would recommend that for a lot of reasons but that's another discussion. Read the Gordon Murray write up on the NSX - google it.

At least you've been led to the foot of the "mountain" now it's up to you to climb to the summit and get an NSX or not. Of course we here on Prime made the climb so you are talking to very prejudiced owners here ....but with damn good reason! Go drive one if you can find one! :wink:

Last edited:
Because I've never driven any car that gives me the same thrill as the NSX or gives me the same feeling of connectivity to the road. I was in 6th grade when the NSX debuted and have lusted after it ever since. I had my first ride in a red 96 T at age 18 and was hooked. Nothing sounds like the NSX and nothing drives like the NSX. Nothing. It is the most driver-oriented car ever made and probably that will ever be made, since these days we have computers largely driving our cars for us.

Because I've never driven any car that gives me the same thrill as the NSX or gives me the same feeling of connectivity to the road. I was in 6th grade when the NSX debuted and have lusted after it ever since. I had my first ride in a red 96 T at age 18 and was hooked. Nothing sounds like the NSX and nothing drives like the NSX. Nothing. It is the most driver-oriented car ever made and probably that will ever be made, since these days we have computers largely driving our cars for us.

Can you tell we love our cars - now go out and test drive one and don't ask any more silly questions. :biggrin: That is till you buy one or are trying to find out some real life detail about the car!:rolleyes: Honcho speaks for us all - right here - good one Honcho. I drove mine in today - yipee! :wink:

I'm a 45-year PCA member... bought a Speedster in 1965 to go SCCA racing. I'm a "car guy" and have driven just about every cool car on the planet and have owned a few including a Dino and a Daytona back in the early '70s.
In 1979 I switched from racing production cars to sports racers (first was a T492 Lola last was a Camel Lights TIGA).
In 1989 my street "toy" was a Porsche Turbo... a good friend who worked for Bose asked me if I'd like to drive an NSX (several prototypes were in the country for warm weather testing in the SoCal desert). He arranged for me to have the car for a week (I was supposed to write up a review of the Bose sound system).

When I test drive a new car, I carry a little notebook in my pocket to jot down things I don't like about the car.
I drove that Sebring Silver NSX for a week.... here are the notes I wrote in my notebook:
1) Sometimes the sun reflects off the instruments making them hard to see.
2) The back-lit knobs and switches are sometimes hard to see in certain lighting.
3) Clothing put in the trunk comes out wrinkled because it gets hot in there.
Other than that, it is clearly the closest thing to driving a sports racer on the street as any car I've ever driven. Plus the running gear probably won't cost anything near a Ferrari to keep running and serviced.
I'm 6'3" and this is one of the most comfortable cars ever! The wheel, pedals and controls are perfectly placed and everything but the pedals adjust.
Wonderful car!

So that's how I felt... I asked my friend at Bose if I could buy that car -- it had been driven by many automotive writers and had really been flogged, but was still in perfect shape, although the Yokos were shot (my fault). He said "Sorry, that car hasn't been Federalized and will have to go back to Japan and be crushed." I was crushed.

It took me a couple of more years to find my own Sebring Silver car.

Last edited:
I fell in love with the NSX in 1991. I was lucky enough that even at the age of 19 in 1991 I was offered a ride and a very quick "around the block" drive in one. Even though I was very gentle with the car, I was hooked. It was my "Ferrari".....that car that I would always long after but never attain.

Things change, however, and I was/am able to get a vehicle like this and maintain it. When I was looking for my NSX I also looked at what was also available for inside the limit I had set for myself. I paid much less than my original budget for my NSX, but was still able to get a quality car.

Of the cars that I considered, here is the list.....

Cars physically looked at and drove:
1990 Ferrari 348
2006 Lotus Elise
2002 Maserati Spyder
2003 Corvette Z06
1965 Mustang 289 Convertible (restored)
1982 Corvette C3 (restored)

Other cars perused through ADs:
2003-5 911 Carrera 4S
2005ish Lotus Exige
Ferrari 308/328
Lotus Turbo Espirit

I'm sure there were others, but they are escaping me right now. The only one that came close to me considering over the NSX was the Z06. The only reason was bang for buck as it had 10K less miles on it, the asking price was $10K less than the NSX I bought and it had 135 more HP, 190 more TQ and pulls over 1.0g on the skidpad. So bang for buck the Z06 was a much better performer. At the end of the day, however, it is "just another Corvette". If I had bought it, as with any of the cars on the list above, I'd still want the NSX. Not saying the Corvette or any of the others weren't nice and fun to drive, they just weren't NSXs.

The NSX just offered me the best of everything. I was able to purchase my dream car, drivability/vision is outstanding, and the performance is more than enough for me. I wasn't after something to go hotrodding around in, however there are times that I do drive the car like Senna set it up to be driven.

If you don't want attention, then perhaps the NSX is not the car for you. It garners, around here anyway, more attention that I had anticipated. Most people are curious about the car, and I fill them in and let them photograph as much as time permits. It isn't every day that people come across a car like this and rather than be a prick or snooty/snotty about it I let them enjoy it. I remember a time when I was 19 and a gracious owner did the same for me (however, I don't let folks take mine for a quick trip around the block....there are limits to my hospitality!)

I was looking for a fun exotic-ish sportscar at the time. The reason I landed on the NSX was because of the following logic.

Ferrari maintenance was too high
Porsche was too common
Lotus Esprit, I didn't know enough about them at the time to get a good feel on a purchase

Like some have said before, as soon as I laid eyes on it, I knew I had to have it! and it wasn't even in person

I first heard about it in conversation 4 years ago. went home, googled it and BAM. I was in Love.

I thought it was gonna be just a dream to own one, but as time went on, prices dropped a little bit, opportunities arose, and after joining the army, I found myself able to afford one. and you know what, even with the few issues it has given me, I still can't help but smile everytime I look outside or walk by and see it. I immediately feel the anticipation of getting in and driving. It never fails to put a huge grin on my face when I'm in the cockpit. sigh. :biggrin::biggrin:

On the note of supras, When I had the opportnity to ride in one, the power was awesome, but the rest of it didn't impress me. It felt cramped from both seats (driver and passenger and rear! why bother with rear seats!?) and as others have already mentioned, the car overall is kind of plain.

On the for serious though. your ass needs to drive one before you come back here and reply to this thread. (Excuse my immature choice of words)

Last edited:
I don't hate on the Supra like many here do. I looked at a few while I was in the market for another car in fact. The one thing I noticed was Supras had an artificial demand put on them from the movies and they are priced much, much higher than they are really worth. It is a great car in some ways but also much different than an NSX. Just like others have said if you haven't driven one you can't say anything yet. I love my car now. I have a 2008 BMW 335i with nice mods and I would much rather keep my NSX forever. The NSX has a good car following. It comes from great engineers who made this a benchmark car for the future. It demonstrated what a room full of great car engineers could do even if it lost the company money. It wrote the rules on many new things about cars.

I can't say the same about a Supra. The Supra's claim to fame is the 2JZ engine more than anything. They made a indestructable engine to start with. The looks aren't nearly as timeless as the NSX as others mention. It is front engine-rear wheel drive. Most exotic cars are mid-engine. It balances better and it just looks bad ass to have the engine behind the seat.

If you like one a lot than you probably won't enjoy the other as much. The Supra is a great car for going straight ahead really fast. The interior is pretty ordinary though. That bothered me a lot. I like the looks of both but the NSX is a little better overall.

I don't hate on the Supra like many here do.

I don't hate on the Supra either, in fact I love the MKIII Supras...not so much the MKIV, but I'm a pop-ups kinda guy!

images

cmon all you 91-93 nsx fans, you love it for the oem exhaust tips.....:redface:

cmon all you 91-93 nsx fans, you love it for the oem exhaust tips.....:redface:

They were like Star Trek inspired I think . BTW my '94 had those oval uglies too!

They were like Star Trek inspired I think . BTW my '94 had those oval uglies too!

My '94 HAS the oval uglies too! Although they aren't TOO bad.....I'm sure I've seen worse! :)

Mine has the "Oval Uglies," too. And as long as there are cars running around with fart cans on them, we certainly have nothing to be ashamed of.
Heck, Hyndai cars still come with them to this day.:redface:

I went through all kinds of cars in my head in the years leading up to my purchase of the NSX. The lotus esprit and elise being two of them. I realized that 1) The elise is too small and 2) the esprit too unreliable and expensive.
I always kinda liked corvettes but like others have said there are so damn many of them and they look the same. I also really wanted a mid-engine.

Someone that worked for me a few years ago told me I needed to get an NSX which is when I started to look. I realized it was pretty similar to the esprit but a lot easier to own. I wound up here eventually and read and read until my eyes bled. I decided I would get one and started saving money.

About 8 months later I showed up at DrVolkl's house with a pile of cash and drove my new car home. By the time I bought my car I knew about timing belts, window fix-it thingies, and pretty much everything else.
I knew it was the car for me without even having to drive one first. It sounds crazy, and probably was. :biggrin:

:smile: If you haven't actually driven one you won't understand.

It's an engineering marvel. All aluminum chassis, exotic powerplant layout, superior driver visibility, fabulous ergonomic layout, sexy looks, great gas mileage, reliability of a civic...shall I go on?

As a follow-up, here are the cars that I drove and considered aside from the NSX:

1. 1994 F355 Berlinetta (Best exhaust note ever, but tempermental and rattly. Felt flimsy. Cosmic maintenence cost.)
2. 1995 911 Carrera (I'm sorry guys, I just don't get it. Underwhelmed. Mystery meat gearbox and twitchy.)
3. 1997 Corvette C5 (Love the torque and LS1 V8. Not lovin' the chevy cavalier interior. Chassis could use more rigidity.)
4. 1993 Dodge Viper RT/10 (Rocket sled. Pure speed. Not comfortable or confidence inspiring on the road.)

IMHO

• Number one is HONDA F1 ERA + Senna involvement + the NSX itself

Now to the practical + PRICE RANGE part FOR ME, my opinion that's it, based in how much i paid for mine + mods so far.

• 348's = Beautiful cars, but not for me

• F355's = way to many bugs, although they sound and look AMAZING, I wish I had the $$ to spend on mechanics.

• Gallardo = Can't afford

• C6 Z06's (used) = BRUTAL, FAST cars ... still just too unrefined and common

• Viper = TO BRUTE

• F360's = Base models are very nice but the CS would be worth (but prices are for ME, way to far of my reach)

• Porsches = to Tall, not my type of "sportscars" although i LOVE the previous GT3 RS

Not other cars interest me, yes, there's other cars, but we are talking about true "TOYS" here.

Oscar

PS: I am back, after 3 weeks in BRAZIL hahahha driving CRAP cars

I'll respect your opinion but it feels as if you're expressing yourself in a little more hostile way than necessary; hear me out. I currently live in the Midwest, Iowa to be exact. I have seen one NSX in this whole state and I have only seen it once. There's not a ton of opportunity for me to go test drive one, there isn't a single person I know within a 500 mile radius that I could ask for a ride or even to poke around. The NSX has always been an appealing car to me, specifically the 93-94 (although 91-94s are still within my scope) mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the 'Targa' top. I put Targa in quotations because I realize it is a word owned by Porsche, but it accurately describes what the car is in terms we can all understand.

My want for one of these cars at this point in time can only be fueled by owner testimonials and research. When I'm finished and I feel as if this may in fact be the correct decision for me then I can start thinking about flying out and getting serious, going out of my way to be able to touch, feel, and test drive when I'm ready to buy. Buying a car such as this isn't anything I want to just throw myself into, I'd like to hang around for a little bit, get to know owners and follow them so I know exactly what I'm stepping into before I actually get within 100 miles of one. So I guess I'm not understanding where I'm in the wrong by posting a thread such as this. Threads like this are nothing more than overcoming the initial insecurities I may have about an almost 20 year old $35k+ car I've never had any dealings with. I did the same thing with the Supra.

By all means though, if you come across an NSX of those years for sale in Iowa when it's not the dead of winter, please let me know because I'd be very interested in at least looking at it.

With that out of the way, I've got to ask you to elaborate on your last statement. Please, why do you feel the Supra isn't that good of a car. What experience do you have with them that makes you feel this way. There's no disrespect intended with any of this post, I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Back