• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is my NSX not selling?

Take heart guys. At least this isn't like the S2K board where people post in your for sale thread that your ( whatever your selling ) isn't worth what you asking and then post a lowball price and say it's only worth that. That's f*cked up and I don't know why their mods allow it. Prime mods really do protect us from that.

And it's funny that you would make that rejoinder considering you only have 31 posts and are a bargain NSX hunter.

lol... you played the "post count seniority" card. too funny. and to imply that someone willing to pay more for an nsx is somehow superior? :)

i have no beef with you. nor do i care to get into a forum pissing match with you. there is a reason that a few nsx owners i know stay away from this forum.

Go over on RennList and look at some of the adds/thoughts for 97/98 993s vs earlier and later production 911s.......

There is a reason that Pcar lovers want the 96 - 98 993's. They actually have some changes that the eariler 993's don't have. So it's not just about a year, it's about a particular look that the owners want.

'96-'98 are considered the widebody cars. Porsche gave the 96 - 98's a 2" wider rear bodywork like the turbo. The front width is the same. You get a different front spoiler. There was the 4S with AWD and "Big Red" brakes, and the 2S with the split rear grill.

Also, The 993 was the last generation Porsche 911 to feature air-cooled engines and to retain the classic silhouette. Many Porsche enthusiasts regard the 993 as the last and most advanced of the "true 911", i.e. the last of the legendary air cooled Porsches. So that's why the later year 993's go for more than previous years from the same generation.

Porsche is about to change the 997 for 2009. The base engine is scheduled to get a 20-horse bump to 345 hp, while Carrera/Targa S models will get a 30 hp increase to 385 hp. Both engines also get an increase in torque, however, they will consume less fuel and have cleaner emissions numbers. The will also get new front and rear bumpers. Lighting updates are also on the way, with standard bi-xenon headlights on the base car, plus LED daytime running lamps and LED taillamps across the board. New wheels will hide upgraded brakes, and word is that the Carrera 4 models will get additional cues that visually set them apart from the 2-wheel-drive cars. Inside, a new steering wheel tags and drivers can expect a freshened instrument panel boasting simplified controls and a host of improvements to the multimedia and nav system offerings.

That's going to make the 2009 - 20012 997's more desirable than the 05 - 08's.

So my two examples are basically the same reason why an 01 and an 02 are going to have a major gap in price. But what can justify an 02 - 05 gap other than mileage?

There's nothing different about the 05's that I am aware of that would justify the $15,000 increase in price.

Brand spankin' new, the 2005 NSXs sat on dealership floors for months. Even during a much stronger economy, available financing, and attractive lease options -- there weren't many folks stepping up for the new ones.

Why should it be much different now? Some current NSX owners are upgrading to 05s since the car is no longer in production, but other than that...

241 '05 NSXs in N. America (and some have been wrecked).

You're going to have to be patient, but you will get low $70ks if you advertise appropriately and your car has been well maintained.

Brand spankin' new, the 2005 NSXs sat on dealership floors for months. Even during a much stronger economy, available financing, and attractive lease options -- there weren't many folks stepping up for the new ones.

Why should it be much different now? Some current NSX owners are upgrading to 05s since the car is no longer in production, but other than that...

241 '05 NSXs in N. America (and some have been wrecked).

You're going to have to be patient, but you will get low $70ks if you advertise appropriately and your car has been well maintained.

Many potential '05 buyers passed initially on those cars believing Honda would be coming out with the next gen in '07. When reality settled in those '05's found homes quickly. That was my situation in 11/05....again "the best of the last" was part of my decision to buy an '05.

Last edited:
There is a reason that Pcar lovers want the 96 - 98 993's. They actually have some changes that the eariler 993's don't have. So it's not just about a year, it's about a particular look that the owners want.

'96-'98 are considered the widebody cars. Porsche gave the 96 - 98's a 2" wider rear bodywork like the turbo. The front width is the same. You get a different front spoiler. There was the 4S with AWD and "Big Red" brakes, and the 2S with the split rear grill.

The 95 was the first 993 and only the S models (and turbos) had the wide bodies in 96-97 (turbo) and 96-98 for NA cars. Those certainly DO bring a nice premium though many Pcar guys (mostly non S owners!) can't figure out why.

I think the shift knob on my 05 is certainly worth the extra $15k, don't you? :tongue:

And another day go's by with his car unsold, and I still know of no one who paid that kind of $$ for a 2005,

Just because a yellow 05 NSX didn't sell while being on the "market" (meaning NSXprime) for 10 days doesn't mean the car is overpriced. Give me a break man... if the car was listed properly in 4 websites with pictures, description, and stayed on the market for over 5 months then you can maybe make that claim.

Last edited:
Many potential '05 buyers passed initially on those cars believing Honda would be coming out with the next gen in '07. When reality settled in those '05's found homes quickly. That was my situation in 11/05....again "the best of the last" was part of my decision to buy an '05.

Same here.

100% correct!

unless you happen to chance upon a hardcore enthusiast (aka prime member) that wants your exact car... you will not be able to recover the premium of an 05 over an 02.

this is the same reason that a fellow prime member had to sell his 2000 nsx-t for UNDER $40,000 after it spent almost a year on the market.

True. I know 91 was a big production year but its also the year that most of US here on prime own. The reason? Because they are the cheapest NSX's out there and weather you spend $20k on a 91 or $70k on a 05 nobody outside of this board will notice any difference except for the headlights and i promise you that NONE of them would spend $50k for fixed headlights vs pop-ups so imo that is a HUGE factor.

Now i know all of us know every little change that was made each model year but i just got done reading countless posts here on prime about people taking about HP per $ and read countless people chiming in with "well if you want to waste your money go for it" and they are talking about $200 snorkle intakes and cheap things like that and not tens of thousands of dollars for essentially the same car with the same performance.:confused:

Honestly, if i were in the market for a Vette i might think about one of the "fancy" ones since everyone on the road drives a plain old corvette but ANY nsx you see on the road is a rare sighting and it being the last of the production years really means nothing to 99.99% of everyone else out on the road. In fact, i'll be willing to bet that anyone who doesnt own an nsx could care less about even knowing that 05 was the last production year for the car. I bet most people would probably say, "i thought they stopped making those NSX's in the early 90's'.

LOL... I give up. OK I guess I should have just bought a 91 since its the same car.

LOL... I give up. OK I guess I should have just bought a 91 since its the same car.

When you have $30K & you want an NSX...that's what you'll wind up with.When you want an clean '05 start saving or keep dreaming............

Brings back the good old days when all the 91 guys were telling us buying new was a waste of money:rolleyes:

No, No, No.... listen... you guys know my quailifications...8 NSX's and counting....blah blah blah... that being said, my words need to be taken seriously...

It is price...always is price. If it is the economy, then it is price... you have to be patient to get what you want (that being YOUR price). $65k is absolutely too high for that car, to the people who have seen the ad (placement)..as it is STILL available. $55k is far closer to what the car will ultimately sell for than $65k is. The cars fell out of MSRP range, right down through the $70's, then into the low $60's, mid to high $50's now. Drop in $5k increments, GET IT LISTED on Ebay, Prime, AutoTrader, etc... get your car with your needs to be reduced price, in front of as many people as possible. The more reads, simple math here, the greater the odds you will get offers, but be prepared to take an offer lower than you think. No matter what, every car I have ever had (all the NSX's, Ferrari, Porsche, Z06, etc.. they ALL lose money) Ferrari being the only exception, and ONLY in perfect scenario (RED car, ZERO mods, less than 5k miles TOTAL on the car, etc). Also, no one throw up the fact that used Ferrari sell more than new..that is only because Ferrari does not allow over sticker pricing on NEW cars, but on a used car (you know, the ones with 10 miles on them, yet they are used...) then it is "market price". I have been victim of, and capitalized on, the Ferrari exception to the rule... but this rule does NOT apply to NSX or really any other car that I know of first or second hand. (Ford GT was close, but ultimately, recently, now, it is complying to the rules of sports car resale)

If you still have the car, then the car, as it is built (color, options, miles, etc) at the price it is....is too high. Drop the price by at least 10-20%, directly or via 2 drops (1 every 7-10 days) and it will go. Time on market, like a home, will hurt you, so take it off if you need to..for a few weeks...then repost at new price. Keep in mind, sweet spot for 2002+ cars is in the $50's right now... nothing to speak of worth anything more (spare the potential for a factory warranty) in a 2005 (left over 2004's) vs the 2002 car.... THIS is why our resales are all over the place. Only 2 major (noticed by everyone from 10ft) visible changes in the 14 year production (13 years actually..)..so only we NSX fools can tell what is what..most first time buyers are looking lower $$, those with sub 2002 cars, are looking for a 2002 only, and anything newer is just a bonus, but not worth much more $$ at all.

I hope you sell your car...I have sold my 7 cars (8th is IN the garage) on Prime and Ebay..only once through my dealer...so, practice, practice, practice, and LOCATION (ad placement) location..location.

OK, flame(s) on!
sam

hey sam next time you sell (give away) one of YOUR cars, you let me know first ok........

When you have $30K & you want an NSX...that's what you'll wind up with.When you want an clean '05 start saving or keep dreaming............

But what's "clean" anyway? When I owned an S2000 people always argued about this same topic. A new versus a used S2000. I owned two and both were used. Both cars had clean titles with no accidents and they both had over 20k miles when I purchased them.

There were guys on the s2ki forum that always complained about you never knowing what the previous owner did to the car, yada yada yada, but you know what. Never once did I ever hear about someone purchasing an S2000 on that board whose engine blew up after 30 days of ownership. Nor have I heard about guys complaining about purchasing a car that they didn't know had issues.

With today's technology, it's hard to mask a "dirty" car. Especially when it's a sports car being looked at by people like ourselves. We are all anal, although some are more anal than others. We all take pride in our purchases and will go the extra mile to make sure that the cars we buy are in decent condition before pulling the trigger.

With that said, anyone who decides to purchase a 91 knows what he's up against. a 17 year old car that is going to need a few fixes.

GreyHoundSteve is right. Is it worth $45k to own basically the same car if you can get a 91' that's going to get just about the same attention? The answer is a resounding NO.

Now this is just my opinion, but most of the people on here buy the NSX for show more than go. Not in a negative way, but in an understandable-because-I-would-do-the-same-thing way. Had I pull the trigger on the NSX, it would have not been to drag race or track the car, but to own a rare, unique, attention getting car. We all know that the hp numbers and performance don't add up to much with the NSX anymore. Heck, a Mazdaspeed 3 is only like 2 seconds behind it on the "Ring". But the joy of driving a rare piece of history that can only be expereinced by few is probably what most people who purchase the NSX are looking for.

With that said, it's our own progressive egos that make us guys do stupid things like get pissed about a worthless minor upgrade and trade our cars in and loose tens of thousands of dollars on stuff that 99.99% of the public will never notice. My DD is a TL A Spec and I was pissed when the Type S came out and thought about "upgrading". And I wasn't alone. A lot of people on the forums felt the same way because us men are retarded and would rather loose $10,000 on a trade in just to have the latest and greatest... even if it is basically the same car with a different arrangment of lights and guages and interior leather stiching and 20 additional hp.

I am caught up in the madness too. We all are, other wise we wouldn't spend time on here arguing with each other about pointless shit that really doesn't matter.

We can all act like we disagree on this, but we really don't. We all know the game and we all play it. And if we didn't have each other to flame and argue with then we would all just be some over paid, under worked guys with nothing to do while we waste time seaching the entire internet looking for information about the next car we will waste tens of thousands of dollars on.

Take heart guys. At least this isn't like the S2K board where people post in your for sale thread that your ( whatever your selling ) isn't worth what you asking and then post a lowball price and say it's only worth that. That's f*cked up and I don't know why their mods allow it. Prime mods really do protect us from that.

I knew it was an S2Ki guy LOL

Never fails LOL

I might be one of the few NON-NSX owners who will say the car is priced fairly. Sure, it may take some time.... but it will sell eventually to the right owner. The only reason one should drop the price is if they NEEDED to sell it, and it doesn't seem as if the OP needs to sell it. To give some CC: The ad needs to improve. Pictures should be added.

But what's "clean" anyway? When I owned an S2000 people always argued about this same topic. A new versus a used S2000. I owned two and both were used. Both cars had clean titles with no accidents and they both had over 20k miles when I purchased them.

There were guys on the s2ki forum that always complained about you never knowing what the previous owner did to the car, yada yada yada, but you know what. Never once did I ever hear about someone purchasing an S2000 on that board whose engine blew up after 30 days of ownership. Nor have I heard about guys complaining about purchasing a car that they didn't know had issues.

With today's technology, it's hard to mask a "dirty" car. Especially when it's a sports car being looked at by people like ourselves. We are all anal, although some are more anal than others. We all take pride in our purchases and will go the extra mile to make sure that the cars we buy are in decent condition before pulling the trigger.

With that said, anyone who decides to purchase a 91 knows what he's up against. a 17 year old car that is going to need a few fixes.

GreyHoundSteve is right. Is it worth $45k to own basically the same car if you can get a 91' that's going to get just about the same attention? The answer is a resounding NO.

Now this is just my opinion, but most of the people on here buy the NSX for show more than go. Not in a negative way, but in an understandable-because-I-would-do-the-same-thing way. Had I pull the trigger on the NSX, it would have not been to drag race or track the car, but to own a rare, unique, attention getting car. We all know that the hp numbers and performance don't add up to much with the NSX anymore. Heck, a Mazdaspeed 3 is only like 2 seconds behind it on the "Ring". But the joy of driving a rare piece of history that can only be expereinced by few is probably what most people who purchase the NSX are looking for.

With that said, it's our own progressive egos that make us guys do stupid things like get pissed about a worthless minor upgrade and trade our cars in and loose tens of thousands of dollars on stuff that 99.99% of the public will never notice. My DD is a TL A Spec and I was pissed when the Type S came out and thought about "upgrading". And I wasn't alone. A lot of people on the forums felt the same way because us men are retarded and would rather loose $10,000 on a trade in just to have the latest and greatest... even if it is basically the same car with a different arrangment of lights and guages and interior leather stiching and 20 additional hp.

I am caught up in the madness too. We all are, other wise we wouldn't spend time on here arguing with each other about pointless shit that really doesn't matter.

We can all act like we disagree on this, but we really don't. We all know the game and we all play it. And if we didn't have each other to flame and argue with then we would all just be some over paid, under worked guys with nothing to do while we waste time seaching the entire internet looking for information about the next car we will waste tens of thousands of dollars on.

picard.jpg

lol... you played the "post count seniority" card. too funny. and to imply that someone willing to pay more for an nsx is somehow superior? :)

i have no beef with you. nor do i care to get into a forum pissing match with you. there is a reason that a few nsx owners i know stay away from this forum.

I can understand why they'd stay away if they had to have discussions with the likes of you: you are making fallacious assumptions and jumping to erroneous conclusions.

No one pulled the post count "seniority" card. Read all my posts and try to think of why I would mention your post count. Could it have anything to do with my original observation that all those pushing low prices are those with low posts, newer join-dates and seem to be bargain hunters/non-owners/browsers/trolls? That's just empirically true.

In no way did I imply I had any seniority over you or anyone else simply because I have more posts or have been here longer. Try not to extrapolate fallaciously.

In NO way did I imply I was superior by paying more for a car or by buying a new car either. You are the only one jumping to these fallacious conclusions. I have respect for all NSX owners and admirers regardless of socioeconomic status. I don't care what year car you own or how much you paid for it. It's kind of sad that thought is in your mind to begin with.

And to make it clear, the first person to suggest the OP's car was worth a certain amount was subway sam, undercutting his asking price by 10k. No one here before him contended his car was absolutely worth $65k+. We simply responded to that low price with some positive feedback, hoping he would avoid concluding that his car was worth something much lower than he was asking. If subway's argument was that he could sell the car faster at 55k, then I have no problem with that. That is true, it would sell faster. If he is determining an absolute value at 55k, then I'd suggest the OP consider other recommendations.

You also never responded to me telling you to read the second part of my post regarding why there was an argument in the first place: some here are arguing what the car is worth myopically (i.e. considering current economic constraints) while others are arguing for the true value of the car beyond myopic economic considerations. Why did you purposely choose to edit that out when you quoted me? To totally twist my argument around? Yeah, nice try.

I suggest you try putting together a sound argument before posting. Or join your friends who think they are too good for this board, because we certainly wouldn't want to associate with someone who thought they were better than others here.

And if anyone wanted to have a serious discussion immature arguments aside, here are some KBB values just for reference (in no way to absolutely determine the value of the car):

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...1415|true&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=

Excellent
$68,350

Good
$64,915

Fair
$60,365

I think your next stop should be the Ferrari boards telling them how much their cars are worth considering the economy. I'm sure your persuasive arguments will cause widespread epiphanies tanking F430 and Enzo prices globally. If you meet any resistance, be sure to insult them and disregard their valid arguments as "pissing contests" while completely avoiding their rejoinders.

Last edited:
But the joy of driving a rare piece of history that can only be expereinced by few is probably what most people who purchase the NSX are looking for.

This is exactly it! Nice work...

I was in the same boat - can easily afford a newer 05 NSX but went for the earlier model as my goal was to track the car and purchase a new home.

Now that my plans have changed and I make more I'd love to have an 02 - 05Imola Orange/Orange sitting in my garage as a queen to compliment my present NSX. Is the newer car worth more to me? Yes, only because of the color and perhaps year made. I could care less about a 3.2L vs.3.0 but I do like the targa option...

True enough on all these responses. However, remember, with sports cars (99% of them anyhow)... being patient typically equals lower sales price. Every day the car is older, more miles (typically)...so be patient to a degree...if you want to sell though, don't be too patient...

NO MATTER WHAT though, all the best resonses here , price or not, are correct. Get it listed EVERYWHERE...NOW! With pics, service info, etc.

Good luck....clock is ticking though.... they never go up...don't forget that.
Sam

I think you need to be patient- I think your price is a little high and the car will likely sell for the high 50's- $58K or so. For an '05 the mileage is a little high, 33K right? And the color is not one of the most popular, but it is still a nice car.

LOL....

No, No, No.... listen... you guys know my quailifications...8 NSX's and counting....blah blah blah... that being said, my words need to be taken seriously...

sam

My point was that OP needs to put the car on Autotrader where it will get more exposure to real buyers. I stated I couldn't comment on the pricing only that advertising solely on Prime is a mistake. There are a lot of enthusiasts trolling these websites but buyers can be found elsewhere.

Of course with this attitude I don't why we're even bothering to respond.

"no, i do not have it advertised anywhere else. i am in no rush to sell the car. thanks"

^ Good point. If the OP is asking "Why is my NSX not selling?" Then the answer is simply a lack of exposure. This is deja vu. There is another thread where someoe asked the same thing, and the advice was the same. As soon as that person put it up on autotrader, the car was quickly sold. Now if the OP is in no rush to sell, then he can simply just keep it here and bump it. Hopefuly the right buyer will come along (eventually).

I can understand why they'd stay away if they had to have discussions with the likes of you: you are making fallacious assumptions and jumping to erroneous conclusions.

No one pulled the post count "seniority" card. Read all my posts and try to think of why I would mention your post count. Could it have anything to do with my original observation that all those pushing low prices are those with low posts, newer join-dates and seem to be bargain hunters/non-owners/browsers/trolls? That's just empirically true.

In no way did I imply I had any seniority over you or anyone else simply because I have more posts or have been here longer. Try not to extrapolate fallaciously.

In NO way did I imply I was superior by paying more for a car or by buying a new car either. You are the only one jumping to these fallacious conclusions. I have respect for all NSX owners and admirers regardless of socioeconomic status. I don't care what year car you own or how much you paid for it. It's kind of sad that thought is in your mind to begin with.

And to make it clear, the first person to suggest the OP's car was worth a certain amount was subway sam, undercutting his asking price by 10k. No one here before him contended his car was absolutely worth $65k+. We simply responded to that low price with some positive feedback, hoping he would avoid concluding that his car was worth something much lower than he was asking. If subway's argument was that he could sell the car faster at 55k, then I have no problem with that. That is true, it would sell faster. If he is determining an absolute value at 55k, then I'd suggest the OP consider other recommendations.

You also never responded to me telling you to read the second part of my post regarding why there was an argument in the first place: some here are arguing what the car is worth myopically (i.e. considering current economic constraints) while others are arguing for the true value of the car beyond myopic economic considerations. Why did you purposely choose to edit that out when you quoted me? To totally twist my argument around? Yeah, nice try.

I suggest you try putting together a sound argument before posting. Or join your friends who think they are too good for this board, because we certainly wouldn't want to associate with someone who thought they were better than others here.

And if anyone wanted to have a serious discussion immature arguments aside, here are some KBB values just for reference (in no way to absolutely determine the value of the car):

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...1415|true&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=

Excellent
$68,350

Good
$64,915

Fair
$60,365

I think your next stop should be the Ferrari boards telling them how much their cars are worth considering the economy. I'm sure your persuasive arguments will cause widespread epiphanies tanking F430 and Enzo prices globally. If you meet any resistance, be sure to insult them and disregard their valid arguments as "pissing contests" while completely avoiding their rejoinders.

i did not respond to the second part of your post because i had no contention with it.

but here... i'll clarify my thoughts.

there are 2 arguments going on in this thread:

1. why the car is not selling
2. how much an 05 NSX is worth

let's tackle no. 2 first.

there is a subset amongst us that believes the 05 is worth more than an 02 for various reasons (newer, last year of production, less mileage, warranty perhaps? etc).

there is another subset amongst us that believes that the 05 is not worth more than an 02 for various reasons (no significant change, do not place value on being the "last year", dont care as much about mileage, etc).

so who is right?

BOTH! the car may be worth more to person x (you?) and worth less to person y (me). this is true for any car... at a certain price some people see value in it... others dont. that is a personal decision... there is no absolute answer.

now... to tackle question 1.

even if you disregard the people that are just trying to get the best bargain they can find... i think you would agree that in the population at large (outside of just nsxprime) there are more people that VALUE the car lower than $65,000 than those that value it at or above that number. so the problem of the car not selling boils down to a numbers game. the greater the % of people that value the car less... the longer the car is going to stay on the market if left at the higher price. the OP has stated he is in no hurry... so right now he can wait for a buyer that may value the car at his asking price.

it is my opinion (opinion) that there is a VERY tiny % of people that value the car that high that can also afford it. it is completely irrelevant whether that is a good thing or bad... it just makes the sale that much more difficult.

Back