• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why the 2022 NSX Type-S May Be a Sham

I think that’s a very astute observation having read the original post, I am inclined to agree. The marketing folks are making a play but also it is the last year so better to go off with a bang. Honda’s factory special editions have a solid history of initial disappointment in sales with relatively few immaterial tweaks but they may be more appreciated in two decades time when the hardcore enthusiasts savor those little morsels and the hyper focus nostalgia will say the car is “transformed” - historically speaking via the S2000 CR, Zanardi/JDM Type-S, etc. They have a real opportunity to impress with performance though since the car is already turbocharged and battery tech has evolved quickly. But the question is whether they will bring their A game for today’s fierce competition or let the car fall into obscurity…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What an interesting discussion- this is why I love Prime. I don't think this move is a "sham" because the Type-S will be a different NSX in terms of exterior appearance, power and possibly other factors. But I do agree that this appears to be a marketing ploy designed to drive demand. Not only is it the last year, it's a "special edition" model.

We all knew that a MMC was coming. We also knew a Type-S was in the works. The shocker here is the (early in my opinion) cancellation of the model line. It seems Acura smushed those two concepts together as a last hurrah and a thank you to the owners. I, along with many others, though we'd see at least 2 or 3 more years of the production run after the MMC- to justify the investment more than anything. However, given Honda's clearly stated intention to abandon the internal combustion engine and focus all of their engineering resources on EV and fuel cell power, I'm not surprised.

Mark my words, we'll see the NSX return as a fuel cell/supercapacitor platform and it will be with less of a gap in time compared to the NA2 --> NC1. If Prime is still around in 2030, we can go back to this post and check. :D

The NJ dealer I bought my NC1 from says they're getting two and an expected price point of $185-$215; Phantom Matte Gray is the new color; if I want one says to leave a $10k deposit on Friday : )....

Put my deposit with my AD that got me the NC1. They said order will be available on Aug 14. Not sure which color to get but hopefully that they will make the full orchid leather seat and replace that silver plastic dashboard with carbon fiber.

This S upgrade is not a SHAM and is well thought out if you look at the clues. Acura will be true to its objective of precision. You will not see a fan boy GT2 wing on the NC1.You will not see 700 hp of the small prancing horses. You will get a bullet proof drive train with amazing performance at this price point. You will get a car that still turns heads and one of the best looking vehicles on the road. Only those caught in the 90's wearing mullets would argue differently.

What we do know, the S has revised facia body work which is not a rumor and would allow for more air flow. The challenge for designers/engineers is to get more air for cooling as it takes more heat to make more power, petrol or electric. On the emissions side electric motors make torque emission free. So there's where the logical place to increase performance. You will see a bump in the electric. The petrol motor will also get a boost as anyone who has a JB4 will tell you without cracking the ecu they've faked the sensor to read very small changes to fuel, boost and ignition. The revised expect another 50 real hp. My prediction is 640 combined.
The reports were also for improved handling, and I suspect braking as well. For those waiting to see if it's their cup of tea, too bad, their all spoken for.

Jimmy aka sled driver

I’m 100% in for this car. Anyone who isn’t exited at the fact that Honda would finally give us a more radical version of this car is hating for the sake of it. They wouldn’t even be on this forum if they didn’t love Honda.

I love high revving Hondas. That era is gone. This is an excellent modern product.

..I'm gonna take a Mugen V10 and drop it into mine....:biggrin:...............

That’ll be a screamer… EV sports cars are whiners that don’t give me aural pleasure…

The Type S needs significant weight and/or power advantages over the regular NSX to be worth being named a "Type S". Otherwise, it would be like the 2002-2005 NSX which is purely a cosmetic variance and complete waste of tooling cost.
Hope Honda delivers.
Steve

Last edited:
27hp/16lb-ft increase. HP bump of a whopping 4.7%! Send that puppy to Chris Wilson to double that gain! How funny... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37293552/2022-acura-nsx-type-s-revealed/

It appears they simply are including previously optionable items like the Carbon roof, Carbon brakes, and calling them standard and saying the car lost 58lbs. What kind of Marketing Trickory is this????????? I'd die laughing if I wasn't so sad.

The dilution of the Type S moniker is solidified.

The new SVJ Aventador body kit is pretty rad though
2022-acura-nsx-type-s-10-1628792658.jpg

Last edited:
While the 2002 to 2005 NSX appears as just a cosmetic change, in fact a lot of subtle changes occurred on the emissions side, the power side, brakes, and other components. Look at the Zarnardi as many see it as a special limited car. They removed the glass in the back window and kept the car a coup (no targa) changed the wheels, but kept pretty much everything else. The suspension was tightened up. The engine did not change as I understand. Even the official S and R Japanese versions were not significantly off from the regular car. In the end it is all about finesse rather than just throwing in a bigger output engine. I believe with the R version that lots of little things occurred to make the car significantly better on the track when driven by someone who can actually drive. We will probably see similar changes occur in the 2022 S Spec NSX. I can drive but probably not good enough to see similar improvements between the 2017 and the 2019. I heard 2 second improvement, however a very skilled driver was at the wheel. We mere mortals probably would think we did better.

It will be interesting when the road tests are done

Some more HP and Torque and changes to the gearing to improve launches

The problem is that Honda is full of responsible folks

The next NSX, or eNSX would have to offer 1000HP to be competitive

I can't see Honda offering a 1000 HP street car

I hear you on the Ford GT but we are talking about a car that would launch for the (plus or minus) 2026 model year

The Ferrari 296 has over 800 HP now

Oops they did it again
e17fbbd98572ffcfe74c5d85aec1674a.jpg

c9600b3d71dd15946e4761eee9e213e4.jpg

e4b78d59659f8af77a67816fddd159ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had some time to read through a few of the Type S NC1 updates. The C&D article didn't include many of the updates. There are some cool things they added. It's minimally incremental at best but if you're in the market for an NC1, i'd probably pony up the extra $$$ for the Type S.

27hp/16lb-ft increase. HP bump of a whopping 4.7%! Send that puppy to Chris Wilson to double that gain! How funny... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37293552/2022-acura-nsx-type-s-revealed/

It appears they simply are including previously optionable items like the Carbon roof, Carbon brakes, and calling them standard and saying the car lost 58lbs. What kind of Marketing Trickory is this????????? I'd die laughing if I wasn't so sad.

The dilution of the Type S moniker is solidified.

The new SVJ Aventador body kit is pretty rad though
2022-acura-nsx-type-s-10-1628792658.jpg

Next Gen GTR will probably have 640ish to give edge. 3rd gen needs 700 hp+ if they take 5 Years. The current gen is already fast for 0-60 so I'm not sure hp should be a big complaint.

Refine/evolve the NC1 chassis and save 300 lbs in combo with new tech/batteries. A 3500 lb 3rd gen would be a lot more pleasing as all of the Type S are piggy atm ala TLX 4200 lbs smh.

O and NC1 in both variants look way better than any R8. People will always say it looks like a Lambo or Ferrari due to branding power.

The Type S wheels are ugly tho.

I like the incremental increase in EV output but Acura's modification to the front motors gear ratio (they lowered it) means it will be even faster off the line from a dig. The problem is... a common complaint on track is that the front motors run out of steam at high speed. While this will probably bring the car under 3.0 secs 0-60 it may magnify what the track guys commonly complained about. This remains to be seen.. but again things like this solidify the fact that the NC1 just isn't for me. 3800lbs (ahem.. -58lbs?), bat shit fast off the line at the expense of handling?... *shrug*.

Back