• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you trade your NSX for the new M3?

2008 M3 below...for a NSX...hmmm..no.

Attachments

• 2008_bmw_m3_20117140-E.jpg
    2008_bmw_m3_20117140-E.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 2008_bmw_m3_20117147-E.jpg
    2008_bmw_m3_20117147-E.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 02_NSX_Australia_Dippy9_INSXI_800.jpeg
    02_NSX_Australia_Dippy9_INSXI_800.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
Well two things on that.

One your comparing modded to stock and there's just a 10hp difference. If we wait and see what a modded M3 will do then we have a fair comparison.

Next your modded 335i is a BMW w/o a warranty..not a good thing! All that additional performance the M3 brings is warranted. Have you guys priced BMW parts? I wouldn't even want to see the cost of turbo/engine replacement on 335i.

Also just for a side a used E46 M3 with a supercharger is cheaper than both and more powerful:biggrin:

Well me and Angelo both have/had 500+ HP E36 M3s. I guarantee you, besides about 5-10 E46 M3s, we still make more HP and are quicker to.

The new M3s with the V8 will take a while to have FI, and the 335 would be my next option... If I did a BMW again.

We have an S600. Its probably going to change for a Quattroporte.
We have an RX330, its DEFFF changing for a new MDX.
We have the M3, which I'll sell.
We have the NSX, and its not going anywhere.
We have the 3.2TL, and its the City car.
We have the Dakota, and its not going anywhere... (I plow, tow, everything with it.)

When times comes, the M3 will be replaced with the new Hybrid Supra replacement :)

Would you trade your NSX for the new M3?

rofl3.gif

Well, that says alot coming form DownForce. So, someone who is a huge fan of the new M3 post up some stats and pics of the car. I'm too lazy to look it up.:tongue:

I wonder what guys on M3 forums would think about this thread?

I'm no homer. :wink:

Just answering the question honestly. :)

I guess it would depend on year/miles of the NSX... and if we are talking about a daily driver.

I would possibly do it for the new 500HP Lexus GT, LF-A or whatever they will call it. This may be a pretty spectacular car. But it may also be 180K. I think the interior is great.

lexus-LF-A_in2.jpg

3-2009-lexus-lf-a-concept.jpg

lexus_lfa_det.jpg

Lexus_LFA_Concept_16.jpg

I would possibly do it for the new 500HP Lexus GT, LF-A or whatever they will call it. This may be a pretty spectacular car. But it may also be 180K. I think the interior is great.

lexus-LF-A_in2.jpg

3-2009-lexus-lf-a-concept.jpg

lexus_lfa_det.jpg

Lexus_LFA_Concept_16.jpg

The Interior is gorgeous...But, the front end of the car looks like a Heavymetipollyalloy Bionic Catfish.

Back to the topic, I would keep my NSX and LEASE the new M3 for 3 years than return it before the warranty runs out.

One thing I like about BMW is that they pay for all services for 4 yrs or 50k miles. Which means I will have no additional cost beside gas and insurance.

I guess I can live with a 400+hp M3 as my DD and NSX as my weekend warrior.

Would you guys trade for the new Nissan GTR?:)

Hey start a new thread if your going to ask this question:biggrin:

Oh and you have your arrow pointed the wrong way. Should be Silverstone<LBB:wink:

The war is on!!

Perry what do you mean "not fair"? I am just stating facts. There were over 40,000 E46 M3's sold only. Nevermind E36 or E30. Compared to the NSX, they are all over the place. It is what it is, I am not passing judegment on anything. I like the M3.

Oh I wasn't implying that you were it's just that the M3 sold because it was/is popular NSX not so much. Of course that's why we love it and appreciate it's rarity. To us it's gold that others overlook.

Well I haven't had the pleasure of pushing an NSX at redline, so I can't comment but I love the way the M3 screams towards the redline. The throaty engine twine is musical. The revs are absolutely fluid, it pulls in all gears. The linear torque curve is phenomenal.

I can't wait to enjoy an NSX...sounds like its even more fun according to the guys who own both. BTW, I'm not bashing on SMG, but unless you have a 6MT you're not really getting he true Motorsports out of an M.

Funny they have this argument on M3 boards all the time. I look at it this way. After having an NSX and an S2000 you understand that BMWs transmissions suck. The manual transmission on the M3 is pretty much a joke compared to other manuals very rubbery and kina like a joystick. I know they have an aftermarket fix ,but that's in excusable on a car of that price. Whereas the SMG was superior to other semi manual gearboxes ( i.e Ferrari 355 F1 ) hence the reason I got one. When I get an E92 I'll probably get whatever SMG or DSG they. Of course they better not give it that cheap silver piece a crapstick knob that I took off my current M3:biggrin:

this is a great question because i orginally bought my 1992 NSX as a temporary until the V8 M3 arrived. that was about 3 years ago and now there is no way i am trading for the M3 V8. my wife drives BMW's exclusively, we had a 540i once.
if there is one thing i have learned about BMW's it is this - they make an excellent 6 cylinder engine but the 8's are unreliable. no one can match a BMW's ergonomics and i think that is why you see everyone driving them.
BMW = bring my wallet or bring my warranty. make sure you get the 100K warranty if you do buy one. i am sure the new M3 will be a great car...but i am just as sure it will be less reliable than my 1992 NSX.:eek:

Put me down for no. Yes, BMW upped the power, put some nice aesthetics in and out, nice wheels and tires etc, but that damn M3 keeps getting heavier and heavier. It was like someone at BMW decided that the E30 was far too much of a success so they had to hold it back...
I love the M3 but I would not trade it for my beloved NSX. Too many good things about the NSX, most of which changed exotic car development altogether, to give 'er up.
My $.02 :smile:

WOW.... for one you cant come on a NSX forum and ask that kind of question, of course everyone gonna say NSX.. I owned a 430wp TT supra to a 290whp NSX HREs brembos, tons done, weight at 2950ilbs. Now E46 M3 . Ya there are tons out there but I love this thing it handles and redlines as well as a NSX. But fully loaded. Thats just my opinon. I loved the NSX lots of heads turned etc... But my M3 with deep dish 19s gets the same head turning as well and performance. So to answer your question YES I already did. Sold my 2000 NSX for a E46 M3. Still miss the NSX, but the M3 is very nice performer as well. If I had a 03 NSX yes I would trade in my NSX for a NEW M3.

Hey guys, Im new to the Nsx prime, I just recently bought a black 91' nsx from California and I'm trying to get rid of my 2001 330cic convertible bimmer for the past month. I haven't had a call or email. Its been on craigslist for 4 weeks. Two weeks on bimmerforums, and e46fanatiks. A week on cars.com and haven't had a single call or email. The only calls that I would get are other advertising companies with a 1-866-###-####'s who tries to convince me that they have 13 buyers in my area (HI) if I give them my credit card and advertise with them, which is a lie because I have my phone number on the ad and why don't these people call me direct. Well, to answer the thread, I will not trade the nsx for the new m3. Although, I like the new generation BMWs new design, I just love the way the nsx sits lower than any other sports car besides the lambos, ferraris, and other exotics ( I feel like I'm amongs them). I love the mid engine, body, handling, and performance. Most of all, I love the fact that the nsx is hardly seen on the road (just like the exotics above mentioned). Besides that, I think the "ultimate driving machine" has a poor resale value and most of the bimmers are costly. I just want to sell my 330cic. By the way, my 330cic is nice looking with 19's deep dish in the rear. Head turning, sometimes. My 90' yellow 300zx gets more attention though. The nsx is more reliable and nicer looking. :frown:

Last edited:
Funny you posted this question. I recently bought my 95 NSX T. Ive been on the waiting list for the new M3 for many months now. Ive owned 2 E36 M3s and 1 E46 M3 coupe. I have to tell you the previous body M3 (I had an 04) was in the shop at least once a month. Stupid things went wrong, but nevertheless it was in the shop. Warranty was great, but ends at 50k miles, the CPO is junk. Once I saw the new M3 in the official photos, read about pricing etc, I decided to definatly get the NSX. I couldnt see spending 70k for the car, its going to depreciate and I have a feeling it will have a negative launch like the M5 had (although not quite as bad). The M5 has many mixed reviews and isnt quite the supercar it was scheduled to be. In fact, you can get quite a deal on a slightly used M5. Also, someone made a great point - you see an M3 at least once a day, you see an NSX maybe once a MONTH. I like that. Also, I dont care about the luxury of the BMW anymore as the NSX is my weekend toy, I dont need the luxury features! My daily driver is an 07 CLK550, its quite the car, great balance of power, luxury and road feel. My $.02

This is a very interesting discussion. I am actually thinking about buying a e46 convert. So I test drove a 03 with SMG this weekend. Well, I didn't buy the car because the SMG is really funky, especially in the Auto mode(even in a6 mode), but the Sport mode is interesting, it shifts very quick.

My major concern is the cost of maintenance without warranty. The car has less then 30K miles, but he has already replaced the motor for the top and there is a clunking noise during speed shift - rear subframe issues?? I am also not sure about the durability of the clutch, which I am sure would cost a bunch to replace.

However, I do like the look and drive of the car. I will probably check out at least one more to see if that change my mind. :smile:

I know that a 6 speed would be a better choice, but my wife will also be driving the car in auto mode....

Funny they have this argument on M3 boards all the time. I look at it this way. After having an NSX and an S2000 you understand that BMWs transmissions suck. The manual transmission on the M3 is pretty much a joke compared to other manuals very rubbery and kina like a joystick. I know they have an aftermarket fix ,but that's in excusable on a car of that price. Whereas the SMG was superior to other semi manual gearboxes ( i.e Ferrari 355 F1 ) hence the reason I got one. When I get an E92 I'll probably get whatever SMG or DSG they. Of course they better not give it that cheap silver piece a crapstick knob that I took off my current M3:biggrin:

WingZ bro, the M3 gearbox is not that bad. It may not shift as smoothly as your NSX, but I can't imagine harvesting all of its revs with an automatic transmission. Something about that just isn't right. But to each his own.

I'm not blown away by the new M3's looks. But I am a sucker for an 8400RPM redline and the CF roof.

Back