• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02 NSX with 21k miles Replace Timing Belt and Water Pump just because?

Tim, please tell me, how long did you own a NSX and how many miles did you put on it during that time? C'mon.
\\

I know what you're saying, and I, although my post has a certain sarcastic note, feel my point is still valid. Issues of rubber centered pulleys have a lot to do with where you live, how you drive, how the car is taken care of, how many miles it has on it, climate, storage. I had 2 great mechanics work on my 20 year old NSX over 2 years - not a long ownership,not lots of miles but really what does that have to do with it? The 2 mechanics I had looked over my car and did a lot of work to it - I kept that car in peak condition - did everything prescribed by the experts I had working on my car - I mean what else do you need to do.

My car had 50k miles on it, it was 20 years old and no one told me to worry about the pulley. If these things were breaking all the time at intevals that are suggested here, there would be a hell of a lot of blown engines due to pulley failures so let's all be just a little bit real here. All I'm saying is have it checked by an expert - your own expert that works on your car - cause I would venture a guess that most on this site have others doing the work. You live in a hot dry climate where rubber cracks and has issues - deal with it accordingly - live in FL - humid , warm climate - probably different down there, cool wet climate - very different again, Atlanta warm and humid comparitively. You have a nice late model car with 14k miles is there cause to worry about the pulley?

I just think, just my opinion, that a lot of this is alarmist and makes folks worry unecessariloy when it can be taken care of in a little bit different manner without all the drama. So and so's car blew cause of a pulley failure - what does that mean - every situation has it's own particular set of variables - that's all I'm saying. Take it for what it's worth. I mean why do you think that only guys like us talk about this stuff and Barney, Eiffel and Larry B don't respond hardly ever - what does that tell you. Again take it for what it worth. Don't mean to be a rebel rouser just to be one, I think my opinions have merrit - just as much as some others here.

I have no intent to screw someone over with bad advice and have done a lot to further interest and help others along the way and have gotten a lot of thank yous for the personal attention I've given many, just as other here do. I believe I've earned my place among the helpful. All I gotta say on this.

Adios

Last edited:
Not true:
Won't respond to this...they stay out of the mundane fracus....

Ummm - now the NSX can be as old as 21 years. I know my old one is. There are more of the early ones around than any others. There are more non blown up early ones than any I should say.

I'm not backing off the way I qualified my statement. I also have no idea why yours failed, but I can guess....but what the heck is that worth. Like I say - have your pulley checked for cracks in the rubber and the beginnings of separation - replace as needed. Emphasis on have your pulley checked.....

I had 2 great mechanics work on my 20 year old NSX over 2 years - not a long ownership,not lots of miles but really what does that have to do with it?

Well it does have something to do with it. It helps define your breadth of knowledge and experience with the car.
Ken(NSXTASY) on the other hand was an original owner and had extensive ownership experience. I think he owned and drove his car 10x as long as you.
Now that alone does not make him a right in this case or for that matter make your opinions without merit.

There are, however, some that take measure of such things when deciding who to listen to. It may help them form a context knowing the experience level of the more passionate respondents.

I think my opinions have merrit - just as much as some others here.

Of that I'm sure. Very well put.

BTW, when I did my timing belt and water pump I changed the damper pulley too. It didn't cost enough to make price a factor so in it went.

I mean why do you think that only guys like us talk about this stuff and Barney, Eiffel and Larry B don't respond hardly ever - what does that tell you.

Do you really want to know?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Interesting
Two EX owners and bodyman debating Acuras inventory turns.

Would we be better served debating who will win thensuperbowl?

Back to topic this timing belt, water pump, common hoses should be changed. simple. Also my .02 on the debate is even if the Acura belt was siting on the shelf for two years the rubber would be fine. I just put nos 1968 wing windows with factory Chevy rubber in a restoration and that rubber was fine. I don't think the shelf life is a concern regardless .

So what will happen if you have Dave's shield in place, then the balancer comes apart? Anything? I mean you'll lose your belt, right? So you lose the alternator, supercharger if there is one, AC compressor... There's no power steering pump on the NSX... You won't lose the water pump, right? That's off the timing belt along with the cams? You'll obviously hear some strange noise, the car is still drivable, for a short period to pull off the road or whatever.... Right?

And what about the ATI damper? You do that and you're basically worry free, plus a bit better damping and slightly better response? Worth $700?

Interesting
Two EX owners and bodyman debating Acuras inventory turns.

Would we be better served debating who will win thensuperbowl?

Inventory turns?:confused: That's like 30 posts ago.

They, Ken and Tim, were discussing the need of replacing the damper pulley.

Last edited:
BTW I replaced my belt with this.

Power Enterprise Kevlar Timing Belt Acura NSX C30A 90-05

The pioneer of Kevlar timing belt Super strong KEVLAR timing belt was originally developed and patented by Power Enterprise. The original Kevlar timing belt developed by POWER in 1997 featured 4-times durability against stretching compared to the stock belts gained huge popularity among race engine builders and the most of race parts manufacturers. At end of 2006, PWR reintroduced further advanced Kevlar timing belt based on the feed backs received from engine builders of the world. The new Kevlar Timing Belt features Zero stretching, 2.6 times more durable compare to the original POWER Kevlar timing belt and increased in heat resistance, improved in bending flexibility to suppress unwanted oscillation. POWER Super Kevlar also improved mechanism of transition stage, perfect at fitting into cam-gear by compounding nylon fiver in the cog portion. Now It trains the camshaft with ZERO compromise.

This is the Only Timing Belt in the world significantly exceeding stock performance and all other competitors are NOT exceeding stock quality. PWR challenges all competitors to compare their Belt.

Features:

700+% more durable than stock timing belt
ZERO Stretching, Low Heat & Train the Gear Perfectly Accurate & Firm
No tooth damage nor stretch on a Full Load simulated 120,000 mile test
Superior flexibility (Smaller diameter of Kevlar member, low heat and reducing harmonic oscillations)

So what will happen if you have Dave's shield in place, then the balancer comes apart?
Instead of the rubber "puck" in the middle rubbing against (and then through) the timing belt cover, it rubs against the metal shield. The hope is that this makes enough noise that you pull over and get the car fixed. I don't know how much noise it makes so I can't tell you how obvious it is. But the fact you would need to pull over and get the car fixed is why I would replace the pulley as well as install the shield, since replacing the pulley reduces the chances that you'll be stranded somewhere inconvenient with your car making that noise.

I mean you'll lose your belt, right?
No.

And what about the ATI damper? You do that and you're basically worry free, plus a bit better damping and slightly better response? Worth $700?
I don't know anything about the ATI damper, sorry.

Science of Speed is indeed a reputable business with great expertise and a variety of aftermarket as well as stock parts.

If you're only ordering stock parts, you can also get them from your dealer, although they may charge you list price. Here is another option, a great guy offering terrific discounts (typically 28 percent), and part of a "bricks-and-mortar" dealership:

LMAO. This is probably the worst banner I've ever seen. Looks like Tim died and this is some obituary notice with that angelic glow border. haha

I know mine is somewhere between 9-12 yrs old. I am not worried about it I'll be changing it myself in a year or two along with cam seals and hoses and what not. I don't drive a lot and not usually very hard either and 99% sure that i won't have an issue after reading people running them longer and when replaced they look fine without noticeable signs of cracking and what not. I'll probably use the power enterprise belt and wait another 15years after that if i have no need to get in there in the mean time. To each there own i guess. If I had the space to pull out the engine and take care of things that i want to while it's out i would have done it a few years ago though for the peace of mind I just don't want to pay someone else to do something that i can do is what it comes down to

My car spent most of it's life in FL in mostly climate controlled garages. Now in MA for the past 1.5 years in a non climate controlled garage. I was told on my last oil change to consider replacing the oil pan gasket and head gasket (no seepage). The oil pan gasket had what looked liked oil seepage around the gasket yet not enough to wipe off. So the mechanic said nothing to get worried about since I have never seen any oil on the floor or in fact on the underside of the car neither did he may I note. He suggested to change it though. So this got me thinking about other rubber parts on that may have cracked if you will... I will change it along with WP so I can feel better and since I can afford to do it. The rest of the car including underbody still looks prestine. Now where to get it done?

The local NSX expert is Mitch at Mechanics Direct.

My car spent most of it's life in FL in mostly climate controlled garages. Now in MA for the past 1.5 years in a non climate controlled garage. I was told on my last oil change to consider replacing the oil pan gasket and head gasket (no seepage). The oil pan gasket had what looked liked oil seepage around the gasket yet not enough to wipe off. So the mechanic said nothing to get worried about since I have never seen any oil on the floor or in fact on the underside of the car neither did he may I note. He suggested to change it though. So this got me thinking about other rubber parts on that may have cracked if you will... I will change it along with WP so I can feel better and since I can afford to do it. The rest of the car including underbody still looks prestine. Now where to get it done?

Change the head gasket? What in the heck is your mechanic talking about - you have a late model - low mile car and he said to change the head gasket - mechanicing must be a bit slow up there MA. That is crazy dude. There is no way I would change a head gasket on a motor that has had no issues. I am at a total loss.

I think I would have to post Larry B on that one before I did a thing just, if nothing else, to get a second opinion but on second thought - I think I'd just say to that mechanic - "I'm good" thanks.....wow.

I think he might have meant valve cover gasket? I agree head gasket sounds crazy. Jcabral PM me I can give you the lowdown on all the pluses and minuses of various shops around that can work on the NSX. None are perfect, I choose them depending on the type of work needed.

Even valve cover gasket sounds unnecessary on an 05.

Man if it's not "broke" don't fix it. I mean there is nothing worse than making busy work for some mechanic especailly when you think that the only person to touch those bolts were the Japanese guys that put it together. I would never do anything to my engine that wasn't needed. Porsche will tell you if there is some little seepage around a seal that is not actually droping oil drops you do nothing. A little seepage or actually that would be described as a little sweating is nothing to be concerned over and no one describes replacing a head gasket or a valve cover gasket unless you are doing a valve adjust - certainly not routine maintenance.

Now - this is the reason I want a late model NSX when it's time - not much to do! Unlike a 91 with miles. You will find that there is enough real maintenance to do without going around creating it uneccessarily.

Adios....

Back