• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 ctsc nsx-t vs. Porsche 996 gt2

I occassionally hear voices telling me to get rid of my nsx for a 996 gt2 (im not really hearing voices =P)

the only pro i can see with the porsche is that its a lot faster than my untuned nsx. Other than that, i dont think it has that neck breaking sexual appeal of a modded nsx. I can probably get a moderately stock 996 gt2 or just the reg turbo for the awd, but ill somewhat feel "normal" since itll be a car that blends in a parking lot.

What does prime think??? Those with experience with a 996 gt2 and nsx, chime in =)

Depends.... do you track your cars? A GT2 would be a lot of fun on a track. If you don't, then it's just another 911 with a big ass wing.

My friend had a 996 GT2 with a ecu flash, exhaust and new ICs (I think). He beat a local CGT twice from a roll on start. I don't think a CTSC NSX can beat one in a straight line or in terms of appeal.

Regards,

Danny

Having driven a CGT on the track.... it was real and it was fun, but it wasn't real fun. Maybe with a lot more time in seat, but it felt like it was trying to kill me on every corner exit. :eek:

Was it trying to kill you like this?

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7DVe9oIhic?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7DVe9oIhic?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

This is my intended use for the CGT, if I were ever to assume possession:

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXb9JYYFfI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXb9JYYFfI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

The CGT's in the video above are SICK :eek: Love those things.

To NSXRguy, go with what moves you! You know the right decision deep down.

Last edited:
Depends.... do you track your cars? A GT2 would be a lot of fun on a track. If you don't, then it's just another 911 with a big ass wing.

I've heard GT2s are a huge handful on the track, much in line with your comments about the CGT. Never driven one though so I can't confirm it for myself.

gt2 is a handful..back when the gt2 was relatively new a long time intructer at the glen put his into the armco he had it for maybe 3 months before that....

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXb9JYYFfI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Actually, the guy who owns the black CGT in this video was killed by his other car during the Spectre 341 Challenge in NV this summer.

http://www.carzi.com/2010/06/27/vralexander-dead-spectre-341-challenge-accident/

Last edited:
That is just sick!!!! See how he cuts that other car off at the end of the video.....say what you want but it's another idiot of the public road and that sound good to me. :tongue:

I'm only going to make one comment about VAlexander (the guy with CGT in the video). He has numerous videos on youtube terrorizing the streets including a 200 mph run on a highway at night with other cars on the highway and then dies trying to drive in a "closed course" timed event on public streets (with no safety guardrails). Maybe he should have spent more time learning to drive on a proper race track and less time doing burnouts in the back of parking lots. 37 year old with the mentality of a 16 year old.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zY3RdLPeDdw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zY3RdLPeDdw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I've driven a 996 GT2 with a mild chip (otherwise stock). IMO you would have to do a lot of work to an NSX (i.e. more than just a power-adder) to get to the same level. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it'd take some doing. If someone handed me ~$70-80k and said "buy a fast car" a GT2 would be very very high on the list.

Ze Porsche can be set up to be more forgiving, the car I've driven is my dad's. We've had it on the track several times. He's ended up backwards once so far, but nothing tragic. Just the usual mid/rear engined/lots of power points of warning: lift-off oversteer, boost delivery may be sudden, it's hard to recover any type of tank-slapper you get into, careful in the rain, etc. I think people get caught off guard by how quickly these things gather speed. I've accelerated up an on-ramp merged, looked at the speedometer and jumped on the brakes because I was accidentally going ~150mph. It felt about like 80... Carry that into a turn or not realize you need to brake as hard as you need to and you could definitely get in trouble.

I cannot really even compare the power delivery of that car to my stock-engined '92 NSX. The Porsche has an obnoxious amount of torque from almost any revs and the top end is ungodly. I'm convinced it is partially fueled by the souls of the damned that the intake tract sucks from another dimension...so you might want to keep pets and small children out of the garage at night.

The NSX sounds better IMO, and I honestly like the way the NSX rides on the street much better (and you can see out of the back of the NSX a bit better). The GT2 has a pretty firm suspension and very wide tires so the ride can be harsh and it does tram-line on imperfect roads if you have even a slightly aggressive alignment / sticky tires. That said, these are the same reason that it has near-zero body roll and about as much grip as a non-pro-racer will know what to do with. Ride-quality aside, it's actually a very practical car. A large "frunk" and no back seats means it has copious storage space, and it probably goes without saying that all of the electronics work very well.

One more thing, get the sports seats if you get one. The normal seats really suck compared to the NSX seats. I really don't find them very comfortable and supportive.

So to answer your question:

If you'll end up on a track a bunch, or just want a speed implement, get the GT2. It's dry-sumped already, and will put up with any abuse you can throw at it.

If you just want a car to drive a lot on the street, and like the attention, IMO boost your NSX.

Last edited:
How do you think the two compare as far as costs for mechanical repairs?

It's a bit hard for me to say. I've had my NSX for ~2 years and I've had to fix (almost literally) everything...but my car is an exceptional case.

My dad's had the GT2 for ~4 years and hasn't honestly had to fix jack squat. It had a small oil leak once, but it turned out to be a missing crush washer (i.e. user error).

Parts costs would probably be comparable or possibly less with some items. I mean it shares many parts with normal 911s and they may tens of thousands of those. nevermind the copious aftermarket. The brake rotors and pads would be FAR more expensive to replace if you decide to keep the ceramics, but if you swap to iron rotors then it's no more expensive than if you have a BBK on your NSX.

It's probably also worth mentioning that an oil change is ~12 quarts vs. ~5...but such is the price for peace of mind from oil starvation I suppose.

The 996GT2 is the only used sportscar that I have any interest in acquiring.
It hits all the right bases;
Reliable; as the block is the same as the Lemans winning GT1 (Same as the turbo and GT3). It's as proven as a 996 Turbo.
It doesnt scream "HEY EVERBODY LOOK AT ME !" Those who know it appreciate the car. Those who dont, well, I dont value their opinion anyhow.
Its very limited in production. Very much so considering other Porsche turbos.
Its almost fully depreciated. :) :) :)
It separates the real drivers from the pretenders.
With simple upgrades its as fast as an F50 or Carrera GT yet clutchs (for example) are a fraction of their cost.

Dont tell anyone else about this gem until I bag one. Its our secret; OK ?

I cannot really even compare the power delivery of that car to my stock-engined '92 NSX. The Porsche has an obnoxious amount of torque from almost any revs and the top end is ungodly.

Now we're talkin.

I'm convinced it is partially fueled by the souls of the damned that the intake tract sucks from another dimension...so you might want to keep pets and small children out of the garage at night.

My new favorite quote.

It's a bit hard for me to say. I've had my NSX for ~2 years and I've had to fix (almost literally) everything...but my car is an exceptional case.

My dad's had the GT2 for ~4 years and hasn't honestly had to fix jack squat. It had a small oil leak once, but it turned out to be a missing crush washer (i.e. user error).

Parts costs would probably be comparable or possibly less with some items. I mean it shares many parts with normal 911s and they may tens of thousands of those. nevermind the copious aftermarket. The brake rotors and pads would be FAR more expensive to replace if you decide to keep the ceramics, but if you swap to iron rotors then it's no more expensive than if you have a BBK on your NSX.

It's probably also worth mentioning that an oil change is ~12 quarts vs. ~5...but such is the price for peace of mind from oil starvation I suppose.

Spot on.
Except the Porsche is dry sumped and has less chance of starvation than the NSX. One of the NSX's few faults.

Last edited:

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7DVe9oIhic?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7DVe9oIhic?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Road racing/drifting is pretty damn stupid in the first place, but did you see the median of the road they're drifting down (never-ending string of palm trees)? Talk about a death wish.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXb9JYYFfI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxXb9JYYFfI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

If you had the CGT, you just wanted to recklessly drive it on public road while making yourself a complete asshole?!:rolleyes: The people on the video had more money than brain.
Steve

Reckless and stupid - great combination - these youngsters with these cars or whoever they are will not last long like that! Hopefully they won't take some innocent down with em! I gaurantee it's not two old guys!

The 996GT2 is the only used sportscar that I have any interest in acquiring.
It hits all the right bases;

It separates the real drivers from the pretenders.

Dont tell anyone else about this gem until I bag one. Its our secret; OK ?

I think it's the driver's themselves do that. The cars have nothing to do with it.

I would pull out infront of them and slam on the brakes
and laugh

tear that little car up. and they dont have any plates means they probably are dealer cars.

or some smuck Valet guy is REALLY parking your car.

but your probably right more Money than brains

Back