• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any primers utilizing the ACA (Obama care)

Well to me and my guys them having the choice of going on their own or through the company was a good thing not a bad thing. This was not really a choice before because the costs of them being on their own were higher. The net effect, as I said before, was my increasing their pay and them doing their own thing. Most didn't even change providers.

I am under 50 employees BTW.

I find this interesting. I don't trust the news so it's enlightening to hear the perspectives. I work for a large company so it's does effect me directly but it's good to hear the different opinions. On the personal side of things the stalemate drives me nuts and interestingly I may be furloughed for a short time period because we sell to the Gov and they aren't here to purchase. Thanks for sharing...

Here's my current insurance situation for my business. I have one full time employee who I offer insurance everyone else is part time who I don't offer benefits too. Thus I need to cover myself, my wife, and my two kids. Because I have some pre-existing conditions a private insurance was very, very expensive so I needed to get a group policy for me to get affordable insurance. My one employee's premium is $970/mo and for my entire family it's $1,300mo. Now that individual insurance premiums are more attainable I have no reason to spend $970/mo for just one person. I'm going to compare the numbers with my insurance agent, and if the numbers are in my favor I'm dropping the group insurance. My rates have gone up at least 22% every year because my group is compared to every other group in Florida which hurts the small policy holders like me.

I'm curious to see how this reform is going to pan out.

Last edited:
26 young and healthy never had insurance. Will pay fine until it overcomes the insurance cost. I believe this was the original point of the law. Healthy people to pay into insurance. Basically a one payer system. For now its better for me to pay the fine, eat healthy take care of myself etc then payout over 7grand a year for a low tear plan. Last year I had a small accident and I payed in cash to emergency room visit and xrays. After negotiating with the hospital I payed only $1500. A lot less then 7 grand.

Last edited:
26 young and healthy never had insurance. Will pay fine until it overcomes the insurance cost. I believe this was the original point of the law. Healthy people to pay into insurance. Basically a one payer system. For now its better for me to pay the fine, eat healthy take care of myself etc then payout over 7grand a year for a low tear plan. Last year I had a small accident and I payed in cash to emergency room visit and xrays. After negotiating with the hospital I payed only $1500. A lot less then 7 grand.

Total agree with you.

Last edited:

Perhaps you were able to negotiate with the hospital because they pass their "loss" from your incindent to other insured incidents and / or the Gov't (for the truly needy). That might be part of the problem with the health care system; pre and post ACA.

This is the #1 reason the system will crash and burn. To subsidize the Debt, all the healthy broke out of work collage students will have to pay crazy out of pocket expenses to get health insurance they will most likely never use. They will pay the fine, like Im going to when my rates get to be a burden. Insurance companies can refuse you any way if u get real sick. 2nd option is just commit a crime inmates get great medical benefits. (Rob a bank with out a gun)

I believe this will hurt the Quality of medical treatment as well they will have to make up the cost differences somehow. It's an all round bad Law. I don't care what side of the fence you think your on.

lets not get into the roundy round debate of the law..I just want to know who is using it as intended,and how's it going.

I don't even know what my choices are. The only thing I get since the exchanges opened up is this...............

Healthcare.gov.jpg

Last edited:
Try it now. It loaded right up for me.

Not!

Healthcare.gov_2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

lets not get into the roundy round debate of the law..I just want to know who is using it as intended,and how's it going.

No debate needed. Just follow Thomas Jefferson's advice: ""If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

You can be as healthy as you want until someone hits your car and you are in the hospital for a week. Then you are broke and have to sell you car just to pay your medical bills.

- - - Updated - - -

Not!

View attachment 106155

- - - Updated - - -

No debate needed. Just follow Thomas Jefferson's advice: ""If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Pretty sure that won't hold up in court. "Officer, I know I was doing 100mph in a 40 zone, but I felt that law was un just and I was obligated to break it."

Bob's getting his thread lock finger warmed up I can see it... LOL

Surprised to see so many posters in this thread that don't understand the ACA and its benefits. People need to spend a bit of time reading before they head to a forum to post their politically-tainted opinions. JMOICBW

Surprised to see so many posters in this thread that don't understand the ACA and its benefits. People need to spend a bit of time reading before they head to a forum to post their politically-tainted opinions. JMOICBW
Kindly cite a source for the cliff notes version? I'd like to read what you've read vs what I have. Much thanks

Last edited:
I have a pre-existing condition so health insurance is a no go for me.....at any cost. So my choices are COBRA, my wife or my work. My COBRA just ran out and I work 1099 and my wife just graduated school.
ACA is good news for me BUT I hear everyone else in America that buys insurance is going to have to pony up $60.00 per month for people like me that can't qualify.

Truth be told, I am not a taker and actually feel guilty/ashamed that other people are being forced to pay for me.

I have not checked any exchange but my previous coverage under cobra was about 400/mo for me alone bc/bs and 375 for my wife and son with golden rule. I will fool around with the .gov website
and see how much premiums are going to cost Jan 1.

And for those of you that say "I'll just pay the fine" Do you actually think you can avoid the law, perhaps get a Gallstone, Pneumonia, minor surgical procedure for "Free" Are you kidding me??????????????
By the way, the fine doubles next year and the year after.

Can any of our Canadian friends chime in here? Perhaps answer specific questions about how long it takes to see a GP, Chiropractor, ENT, Cancer doc? I know for damn sure if I was diagnosed with some life changing disease like prostate cancer or I needed an MRI I could have an appointment within about 72 hours no question. I hear waiting times in Europe to have prostate surgery can be 2-3 months.

I think some real answers from those overseas will give us a clue as to what we are expecting.

Can any of our Canadian friends chime in here? Perhaps answer specific questions about how long it takes to see a GP, Chiropractor, ENT, Cancer doc? I know for damn sure if I was diagnosed with some life changing disease like prostate cancer or I needed an MRI I could have an appointment within about 72 hours no question. I hear waiting times in Europe to have prostate surgery can be 2-3 months.

I think some real answers from those overseas will give us a clue as to what we are expecting.

Canadian health system is different than US system even with our new ACA. Unless you want to know it as an educational purpose. However, I have heard on both sides (good and bad) of the social medicine in Europe and Canada. For example, the doctor's office has two waiting rooms... one is for private insurance which has flat TV screen, free drinks and will be seen right way. And other one is full of people and some have to sit in the staircase for hours to be seen. The bottom line is you will be treated like a king with you have a private insurance in those countries. Just like......"show me the money." I cannot verify this information.

Last edited:
Canadian health system is different than US system even with our new ACA. Unless you want to know it as an educational purpose. However, I have heard on both sides (good and bad) of the social medicine in Europe and Canada. For example, the doctor's office has two waiting rooms... one is for private insurance which has flat TV screen, free drinks and will be seen right way. And other one is full of people and some have to sit in the staircase for hours to be seen. The bottom line is you will be treated like a king with you have a private insurance in those countries. Just like......"show me the money." I cannot verify this information.
Pretty sure that isn't true at all in canada, but I do know many will go to the USA to get things like an MRI right away vs waiting months for one.

bump for any user updates on the site and the coverage

I had one of the "Cadillac plans" (medical,dental,and vision)under the HCTC. This was due to airline bankruptcy and pension loss. My cost was about $700/mth for the family.
The HCTC wasn't renewed after ACA came out. So time to find new coverage.

Since I'm retired and have little "income" when you look at the ACA, I'm below the level of income to be eligible for any subsidy. I find it interesting that I should have to pay as much as someone who makes a million dollars a year. Anyhow, the short version is that I'm now eligible and signed up for Medicaid.

I will gladly go back to paying if the HCTC is renewed.

Back