• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chris Harris UK top gear review

^^ Better late than never. Dunno how daft the producers had to be not to see that Evans was an utter failure right from the get go.

you guys are a tough crowd! i was trying to cut the show some slack, but apparently i'm the only one. :biggrin:

unfortunately they let the dream team go, it'll never be anything but a shadow of its former self. that was the producer's biggest mistake...

- - - Updated - - -

thinking they could easily reproduce the magic was their next mistake...

Michelins are not an option on the uk car. Although it wasn't a UK car (lhd) I don't know if they'd want to at least be representative.

obviously the NSX the Stig drove was a UK car with the stickiest tires available, it wouldn't be any other way...

- - - Updated - - -

for comparison purposes, the new R8 is significantly more composed while being 2 seconds a lap faster:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4fzf77_top-gear-s23e03_tv

Bummer that the R8 did so much better. Still "in the range" for my purposes. I'm sure the engineers are bummed that their baby was delayed so much that the competition beat them before their company could ship the car. Beating the 458 (and the old R8V10) is awesome, but beating the current versions of those cars (and the 991TTS) would be amazing. Oh well. Can't wait for some more published tests.

At NSXPO when we met with the design team, they asked me what they should improve upon from the previous model. I told them to avoid a cheap interior. With rubber pedals and cheap paddle shifters, it appears they have repeated the mistake and cut corners on the car. Their target customers are going to notice the difference as Chris Harris just demonstrated.

I hope they make it an option for the future at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Weight saving. Still a fat chick. :)

She's a good looking plus size model tho :biggrin:

R8 + 2 seconds.

While the R8 is on the market for quite some time the new NSX is the first car of this kind for Honda for a long time. I think we'll see a learning curve from them. So those 2 seconds will melt down in the near future, at least when they release a refined Type-R like version beside the standard one. The high complexity of the car is difficult to tune right but will offer more options too.

I think the 2 seconds is logical. The new V10 is severely underrated with dynos as high as 560 whp even with a much greater drivetrain loss for the conventional AWD.

So it's reasonable to say that the Lambo/R8 V10 are faster cars given the dyno I've seen with the new NSX at slight more than 500 whp.

A good friend of mine has his ear so I've asked him to ask about the tyres. Certainly the understeer suggests it's on the contis.

I'll let you all know if I hear back from him.

I'm very curious now as to what the white one they used for the show had on it. Please let us know.

The stickiest UK tyres officially available are the contis.

I repeat, Michelins are not an option from the factory in the UK.

I've not even sent the question Chris Harris' way yet.

Well that's strange. Could it be that choice was made because of the constant rain you guys get? Would of been good to see how it did with the option tires. I guess I should add, even though it was not top of the leaderboard fast, it still did pretty good considering it had all seasons on.

Last edited:
That is likely why the car looked out of shape....superior physics applied to a high performance all season tire.

I do not believe the Conti is an all season

I think there was some communication in that direction that has misinformed

The Contis are a 240 UTQG "Max Performance Summer" tire.
The Pirellis are a 60 UTQG "Streetable Track & Competition" tire.

(To compare, the Bridgestone Potenza S02 that came with the AP1 S2000 was 140 UTQG. I'm not familiar with the NA1/NA2 NSX OEM tires.)

I do not believe the Conti is an all season

I think there was some communication in that direction that has misinformed

oops I'm keeping the misinformation alive:redface:....still though based on tire racks stratification paradigm....max performance summer is still a rung below extreme summer...

the car looked like it had grip. it appeared more like the suspension wasn't adequately controlling the inertia of the car's heavy weight at the limit.

but i wasn't driving it, so it's all pure speculation.

what we can surmise, is that the car would've been delivered in the fastest trim possible, that is a fact...

My car was a handful the few times I tracked with street tires vs my ra1...just simple grip issues...

the car looked like it had grip. it appeared more like the suspension wasn't adequately controlling the inertia of the car's heavy weight at the limit.

but i wasn't driving it, so it's all pure speculation.

what we can surmise, is that the car would've been delivered in the fastest trim possible, that is a fact...

Someone sounds like the recently departed Chris Evans :rolleyes:

I find this tire discussion loony......at least for 99% of the buyers

Back to tires...when I purchased my 1994 (new) the window sticker reflected a statement on tires.
In my paperwork, had to sign a disclaimer that I understood the tires
wore out fast and it was my problem not Acura/Honda's....

Previous to my purchase they were on the receiving end of a class action suit brought by
owners for tire wear and subsequently provided free tires to owners.

Throughout my NSX ownership, 5-6K was about it for rears and little longer for the fronts.

If you don't like the tires on the new '17 NSX quite probably you'll be making a change in short order.
Given the disclaimer required for the launch function I've read about- probably will be one for tires too.

1994 Window Sticker ↓↓↓

P1010451.jpg~original

Back