• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corona Virus

Bob did you still make your Blossom run?

Florida has a disaster loan available. You still have to fill out a full financial statement and qualify for the bridge loan. I'll be doing that the next few days. I've told my staff that they may not have a job in six weeks. I know I'm not the only small business owner worrying, but that still doesn't help my personal situation.

I did learn something very important as a result of this. My education limited me to only being proficient in one job. There is no way I'm letting my kids make the same mistake.

I'm thinking there are many high income earners who's spend is dependent on a certain income level..other than already having the 6-8 month emergency fund my advice would be to talk to all your lenders esp mortgage for forbearance or some other short term relief...of course you already know this but I usually state the obvious to help the casual reader...

Last edited:
Bob did you still make your Blossom run?

I considered it this morning but weather not ideal. I was also concerned about reports of “moderate” crowds this week and didn’t know what to expect on a peak weekend. My goal was to leave NY at 1:30 am and finish shooting at the tidal basin by 7:00 am. I still might since I can’t go to work.

I just saw a blurb on the news about it ..and there are more folks there than I thought but not nearly as crowded as normal...

Hang in there guys. Stay safe and keep your distance.

I’ve been sheltered in place for a week now. Thank goodness I can mostly work from home; I feel for all you who cannot, and have to meet payroll, etc.

Hopefully the federal government will spend some of the aid money on the small businesses.

My wife and I have been planning for the worst for a couple of months. At first I thought she was overreacting but I gave in (gotta keep the pregnant happy). We have an emergency inventory of formula milk, canned food, pasta and water to last couple of months. ( we didn’t empty the shelves, Costco had plenty of inventory in January)

I left the house today for the first time in a week, we are fortunate to have local grocery stores that deliver. My wife and I sanitize the bags and groceries before I take it to my parents. It broke my heart to see my 3 year old cry because he wanted to go play with my father. We have my parents on lockdown to avoid risk. My niece was born 2 days ago, we haven’t seen her in person yet.

My wife and I are fortunate to work from home, I have several friends that have been impacted by the shut down of the auto plants.

My brother is in his 3rd year of medical school on his clinical rotations. His hospital has the highest number of cases in Michigan, they are understaffed and overworked but they are not complaining. My friend in his 50’s has tested positive but he’s doing “okay”, hoping for the best for him and his wife.

Be safe and smart.

The good news is is that is finally slowed to a crawl in China where it was first reported and some noble prize winning biochemist recently said that it will slow everywhere very soon. Most people are immune to it in fact according to him.

Scary times, stay healthy and hopefully wealthy

Whilst positive for China, its not going to be the same in the western world. We have not seen this type of virus before so our ability to develop our own antibodies is far weaker than in China were similar ‘escapes’ have been seen and controlled quickly. Our bodies natural defences do not currently recognise the shape of the virus so cannot attach and defend as they do in China.

I’m not a chemist, and I don’t know where your biochemist obtains his data to make the claims. The western word has a worst case projection of up to 80% of the population unless everyone adopts self isolation fast. I think he probably meant most people will only have a mild condition rather than immunity.

Most of Europe is in lock down with many major towns & cities requiring you to complete an online request to travel for groceries and medicines. I wish everyone well, and like everyone, I hope the scientists around the world find a way to control/contain C19 within the next year.

Please take care of everyone and leave some groceries on the shelves for those helping others in the frontline, our doctors, our nurses and delivery drivers, all of whom are going to working even harder than normal for the foreseeable future.

Be safe, be well and roll on Coffee & Cars 2021

[MENTION=3821]DocL[/MENTION] I run a small business as well. About 17 staff in various degrees of part-time and full-time. It's bleak. I'm burning through reserve cash like it's being used for firewood. I need to run some projections in varying scenarios but this can't go on. I'm honestly debating laying off my workers since unemployment might be better for them than me cutting their hours. Horrible thought in many ways.

I don't understand this SBA loan thing. I mean I do... But if you need to take out a SBA loan, in looking at the application process, they want the owner to personally secured it. They want info on all my assets (real estate, etc). There's no way I'm going to sign up for a business loan that puts my personal assets as collateral. Getting a loan to add money to burn in the bonfire seems foolish. There's no guarantee my business can pay that back. This is obviously the gloomy doomsday view. I'm more optimistic than that but still...

For anyone who wants to read a good article on Corona check out this medium post. It is high quality. I'll post his follow up below. He wrote a prior one linked in the beginning. Both are good reads.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Interesting read...thanks for the link..

It was going around first among my medical friends... Around the time Trump thought this was a hoax. It's interesting because even amongst the medical community the tidal wave shift from 'this is meh... The flu kills more" to almost full on concern just shy of panic was most evident when the stories of Italy's overwhelmed hospitals started surfacing. The shift in sentiment was incredible as it unfolded right before my eyes.

In Med school we all learn about pandemics....living through one is another story...It is a test of our will /determination and our technology....and I would be remiss if I did not include our Faith....

There's a lot of I told you so's going around right now, but this is one of the better ones:

<div style="max-width:854px"><div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://embed.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready" width="854" height="480" style="position:absolute;left:0;top:0;width:100%;height:100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe></div></div>

you would be surprised at the multitude of older Americans who think nothing of coming to one of our medical facilities for routine/screening imaging....:rolleyes:

We started canceling those a week ago. Several patients complained and said they were still coming in. It took calling PCPs to get the patients not to come in.

Before and after....ich schäme mich für alle meine Landsleute

photo-13249-82f5e5c1.jpg

photo-13250-097a862c.jpg

Soccer/Football is a religion in Germany like baseball or Super Bowl in the US and they've cancelled the season pretty late in Germany. I do understand it might be hard for them. But these days are hard for all of us.
The Germans know the legendary and emotional anger speech of the Italian Giovanni Trapattoni 20 years ago which went around the world.
Here's a Swiss parody of today but with a very important message every 'average' German football fan should be able to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHZdAz5UDI

Sorry, no English subtitles: but the his anger is against people not following the rules the government preached up and down these days in Europe (wash your hands, keep social distance, only go out for shopping, no parties, stay at home).

Some kind of variety as well as some kind of eduction for the ones who think Miss Merkel is too boring in her speaches. So we hope they get the message as well. The US guys should do a similar one because it was really terrifying to see the pictures of masses of young people in the US at their traditional spring parties where at the same time the scenario in Italy got worse.

Last edited:
New Zealand has just entered its first day of total isolation lock-down for a minimum of 4 weeks (they just snuck in the word minimum in recent updates), you are only allowed out for essentials such as food or medicine, if you are caught out of your region there are police out there turning you back with warnings then fines then detained. you are only allowed to walk around in your neighborhood for fresh air and exercise and must keep a distance of 2metres from anyone you encounter. The only people on the road are essential workers for food distribution/ health care etc.
all non essential businesses are shut we are on government hand outs and they are discussing a minimum wage for all New Zealand if this goes south real quick so everyone is at home and are warned stay there or else.
shits getting real fellas take care out there and isolate from everyone.

I would think you island nations would have a good shot at keeping disease free if you are very strong on cleaning imported goods and testing visitors.

yep lock that sh$t down....

I would think you island nations would have a good shot at keeping disease free if you are very strong on cleaning imported goods and testing visitors.
I think we were late in protecting our borders from our own people coming back from overseas where they had picked it up, but with a bit of luck we are going to contain it and since this is now in place we have to wait out the next 4 weeks and see if it was successful.
Stay safe everyone and I hope to see you all on the other side, this will change the world and how we operate so keep up the communication and humor

Guess who is the patron saint of plagues?......:eek:

His follow-up
https://youtu.be/Xe8fIjxicoo

There's a lot of I told you so's going around right now, but this is one of the better ones:

<iframe src="https://embed.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready" width="854" height="480" style="position:absolute;left:0;top:0;width:100%;height:100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Back