• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crashed my NSX...

As was already said, bald tires + nice puddle of water = loss of control or hydroplaning.... could happen in ANY vehicle.

It could happen to any vehicle, however it is much easier to regain the control in a FWD or 4WD. I live in a city that rains 7+ months per year, and I've drove RWDs for 10 years. I change my rear tires almost more frequently than my front ones, and it's usually the opposite for most people. It's almost common sense, but a lot of people don't know this: the rear tires do more control for you in the water, and if you can only afford two new tires replace the rear ones.

Last edited:
Bat, first of all, I'm glad you are OK!

It's almost common sense, but a lot of people don't know this: the front tires do more control for you in the water, and if you can only afford two new tires replace the front.

That's a dangerous sentence! I *highly* disagree. Putting new tires in front only makes the car more tail-happy. A majority of people on the road will know what to do when a car understeers (it's instinct!), but most will not know what to do when the car oversteers.

In fact, tire manufacturers (and installers) recommend that you put new tires in the rear.

--Conrad

Sorry to hear about your accident, and I hope the insurance company will do you right.

I hate to say it but this is another good reason not to drive NSXs in the rain. This isn't the first time I've heard this from wet conditions.

I have to add my two cents here. Tim, you always post thoughtful cogent answers to questions here on Prime, but I have to say that you are off base here. You need to get more seat time in the NSX before you can make a judgment like that. The NSX handles perfectly well in wet conditions, given good tires and safe driving. I have driven my car very often in the rain and once even in snow, and the car was not ill-handling or even unpredictable. To the contrary, the NSX is quite stable and comfortable in wet conditions.

One of my rain experiences was at Buttonwillow raceway in a downpour that scared everyone else away from the track except me and the track steward. I got the learn all about my car at speeds approaching 115 mph in extremely wet conditions. The NSX was composed and solid at high speeds, braking and cornering.

Please, get more wet driving experience before making judgments like that.

Tires didn't have much tread on them. I only have myself to blame that I drove it in the rain that day. I've driven it in the rain before, but it was one drive too many :(.

I'm aware that lbbp is very hard to duplicate. It was an issue with my last nsx when I had the bodykit installed. We'll just have to wait n see.

Again, ill post updates on the cars progress in this thread.

Bat

Tires didn't have much tread on them. I only have myself to blame that I drove it in the rain that day. I've driven it in the rain before, but it was one drive too many :(.

I'm aware that lbbp is very hard to duplicate. It was an issue with my last nsx when I had the bodykit installed. We'll just have to wait n see.

Again, ill post updates on the cars progress in this thread.

Bat

LBBP is not hard to duplicate per se, its just hard to match. Since you're essentially starting fresh, this shouldn't be an issue for you. Just have the bodyshop blend panels as needed. GL!

Bat, first of all, I'm glad you are OK!

That's a dangerous sentence! I *highly* disagree. Putting new tires in front only makes the car more tail-happy. A majority of people on the road will know what to do when a car understeers (it's instinct!), but most will not know what to do when the car oversteers.

In fact, tire manufacturers (and installers) recommend that you put new tires in the rear.

--Conrad

You're right. Thanks for catching it. I was daydreaming in the staff meeting while typing this, and it should be: "But a lot of people don't know this: the rear tires do more control for you in the water, and if you can only afford two new tires replace the rear." I'll go back and edit it.

Really, sorry to hear. Glad you're okay though.

Unfortunate of any NSX, let alone an LBBP, in this state.

If it helps may want to give a call to BELL Automotive. I think they are located in Huntington Beach now. They do mostly Ferrari, Lambo, etc. I was there two years ago and saw 2 NSX's being worked on. I had a diamond white pearl honda at the time that was rear ended and being evaluated for repair, and the manager mentioned the difficulty of matching Honda pearls. They had just finished work on a Spa Yellow with a new front clip and imo the paint match was spot on. Maybe speak to their painter??

Just trying to help...

Best of luck and keep us updated.

28k and not a total loss, wow. hope your back soon.

Thanks for the good words guys and gals. Bottom line is I'm still alive. Now, that I'm alive, I wonder how long its gonna be before I get her back:rolleyes:.

Bat™

Best of luck with everything Bat!!

All that matters is exactly that... that you're ok! The car is repairable and they are also repairable, people are not. Hope to see the progress and repairs, I'm sure it will be back to 100% in no time.

aww man. didn't you just bought this nsx? gluck.

Bat, are you from San Diego? Any ideas on where are you planning on getting it repaired? If you need help with something, let me know. Your baby will be back on the road soon.

p.s. which way were you headed on the 15? north or south? I used to drive the 15 every going to San Marcos State University.

Hey steve, you by any chance live in Mira Mesa? There's a black one that lives in my area. Anywhoo, I had just gotten on the 15 freeway heading north from mercy rd, poway rd was the next exit I was gonna take but I didn't make it. Its about 1/4-1/2 mile between the two, so that really sucks.

My car is at Penske's collision repair on Balboa ave. 85,000 sq foot facility. They do a lot of high end cars. I did some research on them, and so I felt comfortable letting them take care of my car.

Bat

That black nsx would it be all black if so that's me, my girl lives Mira mesa and I go there quite often. All this rain in San diego is total bummer.

Sorry to hear. Luckily you were not hurt. At least it sounds like your car repairable and you'll be back on the road in no time.

Last edited:
Glad you're doing fine, and you seem to be taking the whole incident well.

I'm sure you'll make the most of the situation, and your car will come back WAY better than ever. :)

I toured the Penske facility where my car is. I'm quite impressed with their operation. 85,000 square feet. There was another 02-05 nsx there, another one on its way, plus they just completed repairs on yet another. They told me they've never seen so many nsx's at one time. They are doing a complete evaluation on the car right now, and will let me know later this week on total costs and approximate timeline for completion. I took pics and will post them up soon.

Bat™

I hate to say it but this is another good reason not to drive NSXs in the rain. This isn't the first time I've heard this from wet conditions.

I don't think the issues is the safety of the NSX in the rain per se, so much as an NSX has relatively wide tires, which makes it more difficult for the tread to sipe out the water. And if the tread is worn, the situation gets even worse. Any car with wide / worn tires is going to be more problematic in the rain.

Gary

Kuya Andy

Sorry to hear what happen, but glad to see you posting.
Dang one of my favorite car you own.

Take care,
Phil

Back