• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crashed my NSX...

Hey Sorry About your loss. No matter what part you want I could probably get certified and tested 2nd hand parts for you from japans recycling warehouses.
If you really want the parts let me know what you need and I can price all of the parts

glad to hear you are okay, there is ALWAYS another NSX to conquer, so when one bites the dust... thank your lucky stars your okay.. and just remember that now you've made it even MORE of a valueable car to own, since there are less of them around...

Bad enough for any NSX to be in an incident -- but that beautiful color is just painful :frown: Good luck Bat with the repairs, and glad you are OK - guess that is the most important thing, right ??:rolleyes: Jay

Andy,
that's crazy..as long as you're ok then it's all good..

i remember you from newcelica.org , got some vinyl from u for my celi about a yr ago..i remember when u posted up ur X on nc.org and ppl were going crazy over it..everyone asked if your "vinyl" business is doing extremely well ":wink:" ...can't believe it's almost 2yrs since i got the vinyl (tail light) from you.. now you're here..

i sold the celi and got the X..loving it..

hope your repair goes smoothly..
:smile:

Sounds bad - sorry to hear it. Hope the repairs can take care of it - make sure you insurance pays you the depreciation you'll be suffering just due to the car being wrecked. That's the second part of the bad news - don't forget that. Whether it's fixed perfectly or not - the car will no longer be worth what it was before the accident!

I hate to say it but this is another good reason not to drive NSXs in the rain. This isn't the first time I've heard this from wet conditions.

Glad you're ok and I hope for a speedy recovery to your NSX! Good luck with it all. Keep us posted.

I'm just wondering since it was brought up, is there a point of baldness on a tire ( from owner negligence) that an insurance company just plain says " we ain't payin the depreciation" after taking a $28,000 hit. Or what if someone else died because of an accident on bald tires? Has anyone heard any examples of someone having been sued or worse yet, prosecuted in this way?
It's a serious example of something that we can all learn from!
I feel for the pain of the NSX owner, ( can't imagine seeing my beautiful car wrecked) but it could have been alot worse. Hope things go well for him and the car!

Just a thought, but the wrong toe alignment on the rear could definitly add to a twitchy rear end on a wet road, regardless of tire tread.

Jack

Many lawsuits happened around bald tires. In 2007, a Louisiana court slapped Michelin North America with a $32.4 million judgment (since appealed) for allegedly NOT advising a dealer to put new tires on the rear axle. The dealer put the new BFGs on the front, an accident happened, someone was hurt and a multi-million lawsuit was filed. There were also many lawsuits around truck drivers had accidents with bald tires. In many case, the drivers were names as a defendant, as well as the trucking company. We live in the country that has the highest lawyer/population ratio. If there are injuries, most of the time there will be lawsuits.

I too had a spinning collision on a barely wet road. 10 weeks and $14k later I get to pick up the car from the repair shop (this afternoon). Glad to get it back

Was the "Final Estimate" performed by physically dismantling the damaged portions of the car? Its quite common to find more damage once they start opening the car up.

I'm gonna say 41k of damages doesnt really look all that bad, just cuz the prices of some of the parts.

And an 80% threshold for 'Total Loss' seems quite high... what would you prefer for your car, for it to be totaled or repaired?

PICS????

My car is at Penske's collision repair on Balboa ave. 85,000 sq foot facility.

WOW. 85,000 square feet! That's a hair under TWO ACRES, just in the building alone!

That may be the largest collision repair shop in the world!

How any people do they employ? It must be over 100.

Not sure how many they employ. I can find out. But ya, the place is huge! And very clean throughout. I believe evrything is done "in house" as well. Like I said, I was very impressed with the operation.

Regarding the question about either repairing or totaling the car. I'd have to say repairing it, this after seeing it in person the other day. The car had been thoroughly inspected, so the 41,000 repair cost was the final number.

Bat

I just heard about your accident. I'm glad your ok. I sorry to hear about the damage.

What is your insurance company? At $41,000 it should be a very good candidate for total loss. You just have to pressure your insurance agent harder. Ask your claims adjuster to speak to a supervisor about your case. Stress that this is an aluminum car and very hard to fix correctly. It will never be the same and put you at future risk driving it after being fixed. There is several arguments you can make to get it total loss, but it will take some leg work.

I wonder how hard it will be getting re-insured after a $41,000 claim and if so what kind of rate hike would be expected for that car? Anyone with an idea?

Jack

Bat, have you talked to your Insurance rep about "diminished value?" It's something the insurance companies don't like to let you know about. Basically, since the NSX is now crashed and will show up on CARFAX etc, anyone buying it will want to pay less, hence diminished value. I purchased my first NSX about 10 years ago, still had the temp tags when it was hit in the front...not my fault. While my NSX was being fixed my bodyshop mentioned, diminshed value. I brought this up to my Ins Co and they told me to hire an outside appraisal company. I did to the tune of $200, they took pics and gave a detailed report. I submitted this to my insurance and they gave me 15% of value. It didn't total the car, but def helped my pocket. If they total it, I want it!!! Best Wishes.

is this something a simple increase in rear toe-in can help alleviate?

It's a fine line between what works best vs what wears best. (With the rear tires.)

Jack

Back