• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

D2 Coilover Review

I am very certain you will notice a difference and improvement in ride quality between 800 and 2500 dampers.

I agree. BUT, what I've been writing about is that 75% of folks here would not notice a difference between $800 dampeners and $1800 dampeners (basically Teins)! That's a $1k difference :wink:, and from there, most folks would not be interested in going to $2500+ setups.

You keep talking that an NSX is a supercar and it's not a Civic, but let's face it, you can spend more on a new Civic than you can a used NSX these days. Hence my changing demographics comment earlier (I certainly don't have flash cash to just throw away). It's not the supercar it used to be. Heck, even the Hyundai Genesis I referred to earlier has a five link suspension at all four corners with Sachs dampening :cool:

Last edited:
Now not everyone has unlimited budgets, but saving a few hundred (or even a thousand) on better suspension is more than worth it. Especially if a $800 coilover only lasts a year or two (and Ive seen some last much less than that). If $800 is your price range, a set of Koni Yellow dampers and H&R Sports/Eibach Pro Kit will handle better than many of the cheap coilovers out there (while lasting longer, yielding better ride, etc...).

Well, good luck trying to convince some young one that bought a 18 year old high mileage exotic they couldn't otherwise afford; the principle lessons behind false economy...

uberreview049.jpg

(Above) R2-D2 Speaker Set is cheap and looks cool, but audio quality is amazingly sub-par.

I still beg to differ about $800 dampers vs $1800 dampers, I would venture to say most could tell a difference.

You can look at it another way, if your $800 coilovers break and you learn a hard lesson and then buy a set of slightly better $1800 dampers, that's $2600 that you could have spent the forst time on a higher quality, better performing, longer lasting set of dampers.

Unfortunately regardless of the advise from those who've been there and done that, some just have to experience for themselves the pains of doing things over and paying more in the long run. And unfortunately some will blindly ignore and argue with this kind of advise without even listening to what they have to say.

0.02 from being there, spending that, driving on almost every system out there and seeing people time after time making these mistakes and eventually ending up with where advise like this recommended all along.

Stuntman and John are just trying to look out for us fellow NSX consumers.

It all boils down to the individual. Do your research and make the best educated decision you can within your budget :smile:

Stuntman and John are just trying to look out for us fellow NSX consumers.

It all boils down to the individual. Do your research and make the best educated decision you can within your budget :smile:
Thank you :smile:

People often have deaf ears to either what they don't have experience with, or what others' closely around them have experience with. Also, another problem in many regards is the lack of willingness to hear out the other person (for business, relationships, etc...) and actually listening to what they have to say, let alone asking the other person questions to clarify or to elaborate from their experiences.

Personally, all I'm trying to do is throw both sides of the table out there and explain patterns I see on a daily basis as my living is in the industry - to better help people who are willing to at least listen to help them make a better decision. No one is forcing you to buy product X, but hopefully by actually reading and hearing what others who have been there and done that have experienced and seen, it will save you time, money, and frustration in the long run.

Thanks for reading.

KWs should be less than $3K, but we will know later this year.

When I was at the KW booth at Spocom, I talked to the guys about how they should make something for the NSX. They did mention the FactorX car and a product would be coming out soon. Most Variant 3 kits are around $2000-2500. My friend just bought a set for his Audi S5, installed price was $2200 from a KW Vendor.

KW Variant 3s feature adjustable ride height, compression, and rebound. Respected in many car communities as the best coilovers you can buy. Don't forget they will offer great support as well as they have a very large North American presence based in California near Fresno. Of course, I'm a little biased because my Bimmer is featured in their latest ad. :D

Don't forget about the Variant 2's which are single-adjustable which makes them much less intimidating to those buyers who don't have as much understanding of vehicle dynamics to be able to play with a double-adjustable V3. The V2s utilize the same spring rates and damping as the V3, only compression is not adjustable on the V2.

Don't forget about the Variant 2's which are single-adjustable which makes them much less intimidating to those buyers who don't have as much understanding of vehicle dynamics to be able to play with a double-adjustable V3. The V2s utilize the same spring rates and damping as the V3, only compression is not adjustable on the V2.

compression?? You mean rebound right???

For the argument of $800-$2800 suspensions... Most of the $800 coilovers are made in Taiwan or China... There are very few nsx there, and there's even less of those being driven aggressively (not to mention track tests). how someone can blow $2000 on a non funtional carbon fiber piece and spend less than half of those $ on some crappy suspension is beyond my believe.

Billy may disagree, but I do think sometime you could use crappy equipment to develop driving skills though. As long as you know what you doing. In that case, getting a $6k moton setup right off the bat won't do any good in terms of driving skill development.

Last edited:
how someone can blow $2000 on a non funtional carbon fiber piece and spend less than half of those $ on some crappy suspension is beyond my believe.

I once ran $30 brake pads with a $3500 Comptech Pro suspension at Mid Ohio. :rolleyes:

The coilovers are currently for sale (dirt cheap due to a non-paying buyer who made me take them off for no reason) in the Marketplace for the next week (shameless plug). So there is no excuse to buy a sub par cheap coilover.

Last edited:
I once ran $30 brake pads with a $3500 Comptech Pro suspension at Mid Ohio. :rolleyes:

The coilovers are currently for sale (dirt cheap due to a non-paying buyer who made me take them off for no reason) in the Marketplace for the next week (shameless plug). So there is no excuse to buy a sub par cheap coilover.

I will recommend anyone buying the set from CRJ captain, the comptech will blow any of the JDM / taiwan/ korean suspesion out of the water.

compression?? You mean rebound right???

For the argument of $800-$2800 suspensions... Most of the $800 coilovers are made in Taiwan or China... There are very few nsx there, and there's even less of those being driven aggressively (not to mention track tests). how someone can blow $2000 on a non funtional carbon fiber piece and spend less than half of those $ on some crappy suspension is beyond my believe.

Billy may disagree, but I do think sometime you could use crappy equipment to develop driving skills though. As long as you know what you doing. In that case, getting a $6k moton setup right off the bat won't do any good in terms of driving skill development.
No, my post was correct. V3 has compression and rebound separately adjustable while V2 dosn't have adjustable compression (it only has adjustable rebound). -sorry for the confusion.

+1 on the $2,000 non functional carbon fiber product and not willing to spend the same, let alone half of that on a proper damper. You can develop your driving skills just fine with a less expensive coilover, as long as it isn't one of the very questionable $800 options that have damping rates and spring rates all over the place from damper to damper. A Speed World Challenge mechanic put some coilovers (which most of you heard of, and i believe they have an NSX application) on a suspension dyno and the damping rates F-R, and R-L as well as spring rates were very different. This would yield a very inconsistent handling characteristics, and would not be a good learning tool. Most of what everyone currently buys: JIC, Tein, HKS Hypermax, Koni/Comptech are all fine to learn on and use, some being a little better than others.. On the other hand, some of the 'new' offerings out there are questionable. You don't need a $6,000 moton/jrz setup but moton/jrz, Koni, Penske, are all high-end dampers and expensive for a reason. KW is coming out with their dampers soon and aiming at bettering moton/jrz/penske/koni options for a much lower cost. I already have tested them on numerous platforms, but we'll see once I test them on my car... ;)

Last edited:
It's almost been a year and the D2 are holding up great. No problems what so ever.

I have heard lot of good here in finland. These have 3 year warranty as well.
Many Finish drifting cars use this coils as well as Teins and some other brands products.

Price is 3-4x cheaper what is Teins. If this will not work as well as I hope, I could next buy some other setup. After all, I believe this is comfortable set to my nsx at the moment.

More information here:
http://www.d2racingsport.com/type-street.htm

96cxt, do you drive your car at all?? I thought mine is low, and it's a whopping 2.25 inch:eek: The new front lip looks good, you have any picture of it instead of inside the dark garage?

I had my D2 and forgot to weight them before they were installed... i can only weight the OEMs now... i'll try to weight the D2 in a month or 2 when i'll have a major maintenance done to my car..

I just purchased a set of D2 coilovers!! Ive read the reviews and they look like one hell of a good buy! Ill post some pics once they are installed

Any updates from long time users???

Look like a great deal....lmk

Hi,

Check here in my build thread.

I've done over 40K miles in my first set and everything was fine...they worked like new.

In my second set, i already have more than 10K miles, and they are fine also.

Thanks,
Nuno

Any updates from long time users???

Look like a great deal....lmk

Back