• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you think we're in the next Great Depression? Y/N

Are we in (or about to enter) the next Great Depression?

• No

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 54 47.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We're headed for globalization, one world currency and a one world gov't. :rolleyes:

We're headed for globalization, one world currency and a one world gov't. :rolleyes:

Globalization the melting pot New world order, Lucifer is smoking a cigar on an Island!:biggrin:

Instead of worrying about a depression, you need to prepare for hyperinflation.

Look at inflation in a country that printed money like there was no tomorrow, Zimbabwe. Their exchange rate a few years ago was 11 zimbabwe dollars to 1 us dollar. now it is 1,000,000.00 to 1. Their inflation rate last year was 1 million percent according to Barrons.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If Obama dumps all of this additional money in the economy, the European central bank, Bank of England, Bank of Japan , China central bank, and the Australian Central bank all do the sasme, we will be seeing global hyperinflation.

Before anyone tries to flame me, please research what happens when the markets/economy are inundated with cash. I anticipate that we will start to see the effects in the 3rd year of the "anointed ones " presidency.

This market should start to pull out in March or April, it will be slow though. We are seeing real estate sales sales are starting to happen again, with multiple offers. Granted, the prices are lower than last year, but that was to be expected until we reached equilibrium, which we are now close to.

When we start to get a sniff of inflation sell your stocks and bonds, short both markets, using 25% of your money, then put your money in cash, because interest rates will be heading up fast and furiously.

Last edited:
Instead of worrying about a depression, you need to prepare for hyperinflation.

Look at inflation in a country that printed money like there was no tomorrow, Zimbabwe. Their exchange rate a few years ago was 11 zimbabwe dollars to 1 us dollar. now it is 1,000,000.00 to 1. Their inflation rate last year was 1 million percent according to Barrons.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If Obama dumps all of this additional money in the economy, the European central bank, Bank of England, Bank of Japan , China central bank, and the Australian Central bank all do the sasme, we will be seeing global hyperinflation.

Would not a severe devaluation in the USD in the global market make foreign investment in the US worthless, and spur an upwelling of manufacturing in the US thusly turning us into a major exporter of goods to countries that were less affected?

And, with a very weak devalued US dollar, the price of imported things that are now cheap, be too expensive to buy, thus eliminating our trade deficit and eventually turn it into a trade surplus?

The difference between us and Zimbabwe is that we can still manufacture goods and have a supply chain.....all we have to do is take some WD-40 to it.

Or do I have this concept wrong.....

Last edited:
I think we haven’t seen the worst of it yet but it will not happen in the next 3-6 months.

The slumpy economy has driven many people to join the military. The military offer many benifits some companies cannot offer. For example: Free Healthcare, Free Dental, Don't have to pay taxes at Military Stores, SALARY, Incentive Pays, If your over seas, they help pay for rent, cost of living pay, food pay, clothing pay, aviation pay (if you qualify), diving pay (if you qualify) + many more other pay.

So as long as the economy is down, the military goes up in recruits. Hell, to be honest it was one of the reasons why I joined the Military. Plus in the military, they dont layoff soldiers, they just get reassigned to a different post or job.

I voted for no, i am thinking ( hoping )things will turn around. But from the looks of the votes it's just about a coin flip 50/50 ... Thats scary:eek:

The military offer many benifits some companies cannot offer. For example: Free Healthcare, Free Dental, Don't have to pay taxes at Military Stores, SALARY, Incentive Pays, If your over seas, they help pay for rent, cost of living pay, food pay, clothing pay, aviation pay (if you qualify), diving pay (if you qualify) + many more other pay.

Also, free relocation to the crappy third world country not of your choosing.

No one ever shoots at me when I go to work. No thanks.

Also, free relocation to the crappy third world country not of your choosing.

Being located in a third world country is a price you will have to pay for all the free goodies :tongue:. It is not so bad, you get a Hardship Tour pay.

No one ever shoots at me when I go to work. No thanks.

Why does everyone think that if you join the military you get shot at? Really, it all depends on your MOS (job) and location. There are many soldiers who go to war zones and never got shot at or shoot their guns.

Plus who knows if you will have a job in the coming weeks, just look at the crappy economy.

Many people are patriotic but if you ask them to join the military, they all say I don't want to die? What kind of thinking is that. It is the same risk ask getting hit by a car on the street. Shit happens.

Last edited:
I think the odds of this recession turning into a depression are greater than 50%. And that's not lip service, I'm storing food, water, etc. Seriously.

You do realize that Earth is a water world... about 70% covered in water, right? :confused:

Paranoia.... for some people it's a few cases of Aquafina from Costco. For me I may have to get a run-on those 96oz bags of Starbursts for $3.99. You know.... before Anarchists stick a shopping cart through the window at my local Wall Mart and clean house before torching the place.

You heard it on nsxprime first: WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

So as long as the economy is down, the military goes up in recruits. Hell, to be honest it was one of the reasons why I joined the Military.

Well, maybe you'll get lucky and uncle sam will go start a new war in some 3rd world country no one cares about. Nothing creates jobs faster than a good world war. Surely Halliburton is on the case. :rolleyes:

Plus in the military, they dont layoff soldiers, they just get reassigned to a different post or job.

Like from cleaning the toilets to doing the laundry? Sounds like job security to me.

I will mention one quick thing.... What got us out of the GD was WWII. What may get us out of this GD is WWIII, but it may also end up with all of us being dead.

Well, maybe you'll get lucky and uncle sam will go start a new war in some 3rd world country no one cares about. Nothing creates jobs faster than a good world war. Surely Halliburton is on the case. :rolleyes:

Like from cleaning the toilets to doing the laundry? Sounds like job security to me.

Ouch.:eek: Don't you think that's a bit harsh? There are millions of Americans that learned a trade by being in the military. In addition, there are millions of Americans that received their higher education because they had an opportunity to serve in the military.

I'll even play your little scenario. No, I didn't learn computer skills when I was in the military nor did I learn how to repair jet engines or even become a nurse due to my military training, etc.. I got shot at. I was a 20 year old college student that flunked out of college and enlisted in the Army. After taking a battery of tests, I was able to go to Officer Candidate School and was commissioned as an Infantry Officer. I served as a platoon leader and company commander in the 101st Airborne Division and an A Team Leader in the 11th Special Forces Group in Vietnam. I was 21 and 22 years of age. After my service I returned to college and received my BA and MBA which was due to the G.I. Bill. Prior to my military service when I flunked out, my GPA was 0.865. Fun? Yes. Stupid? Yes. After my military serviced I graduated with my BA with a GPA of 3.96 because I got a "B" in my second Business Law class.

After receiving my BA I worked for two years in a business position as a stock broker because my first choice graduate school required that. Went on to get my M.B.A. and enjoyed a wonderful business career.

I retired at age 52 and I continue to live off my interest and dividends. In my last position I was the Executive Vice President of the largest private company in our segment, in the world. We had 48 offices around the world.

Are you beginning to get the point? Yeah, I should be put in jail because of the life I've lived because it was so wonderful. Why? I think it's because the military expanded my vision regarding life, responsibility and aspirations.

You know what? I honestly don't any of those aspects of my life would have been possible unless I served in the military and learned the disciple, tenacity and leadership techniques that military service provided me.

You should also know that I never a see someone in the military at an airport or restaurant that I don't buy them a drink, coffee, lunch, etc and tell them that I appreciate their service.

Bottom line is that I find your comments vile and disgusting. You owe that guy that enlisted in the military a thank you for serving his country versus some flippant remark.:mad:

Yeah, I went to some war in a third world country that you didn't care about either, wounded a nubmer of times, and won't go into the other aspects of my service.

Last edited:
Ouch.:eek: Don't you think that's a bit harsh? There are millions of Americans that learned a trade by being in the military. In addition, there are millions of Americans that received their higher education because they had an opportunity to serve in the military.

I'll even play your little scenario. No, I didn't learn computer skills when I was in the military nor did I learn how to repair jet engines or even become a nurse due to my military training, etc.. I got shot at. I was a 20 year old college student that flunked out of college and enlisted in the Army. After taking a battery of tests, I was able to go to Officer Candidate School and was commissioned as an Infantry Officer. I served as a platoon leader and company commander in the 101st Airborne Division and an A Team Leader in the 11th Special Forces Group in Vietnam. I was 21 and 22 years of age. After my service I returned to college and received my BA and MBA which was due to the G.I. Bill. Prior to my military service when I flunked out, my GPA was 0.865. Fun? Yes. Stupid? Yes. After my military serviced I graduated with my BA with a GPA of 3.96 because I got a "B" in my second Business Law class.

After receiving my BA I worked for two years in a business position as a stock broker because my first choice graduate school required that. Went on to get my M.B.A. and enjoyed a wonderful business career.

I retired at age 52 and I continue to live off my interest and dividends. In my last position I was the Executive Vice President of the largest private company in our segment, in the world. We had 48 offices around the world.

Are you beginning to get the point? Yeah, I should be put in jail because of the life I've lived because it was so wonderful. Why? I think it's because the military expanded my vision regarding life, responsibility and aspirations.

You know what? I honestly don't any of those aspects of my life would have been possible unless I served in the military and learned the disciple, tenacity and leadership techniques that military service provided me.

You should also know that I never a see someone in the military at an airport or restaurant that I don't buy them a drink, coffee, lunch, etc and tell them that I appreciate their service.

Bottom line is that I find your comments vile and disgusting. You owe that guy that enlisted in the military a thank you for serving his country versus some flippant remark.:mad:

Yeah, I went to some war in a third world country that you didn't care about either, wounded a nubmer of times, and won't go into the other aspects of my service.

I work with and have in the past worked with all military people in IT, When shit goes bad it's the people with the military past that know how to get shit going, they dont bitch or cry they get it done and that's how I like to work as well. I respect anyone who has ever went in to keep me safe at home and it's a shame how many people do not respect people in the military.

I work with and have in the past worked with all military people in IT, When shit goes bad it's the people with the military past that know how to get shit going, they dont bitch or cry they get it done and that's how I like to work as well. I respect anyone who has ever went in to keep me safe at home and it's a shame how many people do not respect people in the military.

I appreciate your service.

Keep up the good work and don't let the liberals bother you. You will always have go getters and free loaders.

Some thing I heard from a radio talk show today hit me pertty hard. The host of the show was talking about the sense of "personal entitlement" the current generation is expecting and the traditional American value is drifting away, and it is, and will continue to cause social problems. I agree with him 100%.

I hope this trend diminish in the near future, it cannot be healthy for this country.

Are you beginning to get the point?

KoolAid.jpg

Last edited:
You do realize that Earth is a water world... about 70% covered in water, right? :confused:

Paranoia.... for some people it's a few cases of Aquafina from Costco. For me I may have to get a run-on those 96oz bags of Starbursts for $3.99.

Yeah I realize that. I also realize you can't just drink out of a pond...
I'm not sure what you know about disaster planning. I actually just finished our companies disaster recovery plan last week. Maybe the paranoia from that is still with me.
I look at it this way. The US Government told every American after 9/11 to get prepared. To have X days of food and water on stock. I think anyone who doesn't follow that advise is kind of asking for it. Darwin in a way.
Then again I guess a lot of people just don't know what goes on. Do you realize all water supplies get tested daily for terrorist attack. Do you know how long those test take to get results back? What do you think would happen if an attack was found? Do you REALLY think you would be able to go up to the supermarket and buy water 1 hour after the announcement???? lol. Do you know business continuity professionals get daily emails on how many people in the world have the bird flu that day and where it is. Do you know China, the same people who put lead on our kids toys, supplies ALL of the thickner that goes into milk?

I could go on and on for days and days. The point is, it only cost a few bucks to be prepared. Skip the latte and listen to your US Government.

Last edited:
Yeah I realize that. I also realize you can't just drink out of a pond...

No. I and the rest of the mammels on planet earth didn't get that memo. In your hypothetical scenario they must also must be taking away our ability to create fire, and other such privileges man has enjoyed for some time now. :cool:

Skip the latte and listen to your US Government.

Right.

duckandcover_bert_the_turtle_6k_1.jpg

Last edited:
Unequivocally yes. If people don't wake up and smell whats cooking its going to get really bad!

California and at least 10 other states are over 10B in debt. And Cali has decided to stop paying wellfare - you think that won't rattle the masses?

Desperate people are now going to become MORE desperate. You think people in today's society are going to stand in bread lines like the '30's? Hell no - they are going to take to the streets armed, and rioting, violence and robberies will go through the roof.

Reporting from Sacramento -- State Controller John Chiang announced today that his office would suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants and other payments owed to Californians starting Feb. 1, as a result of the state's cash crisis.

Chiang said he had no choice but to stop making some $3.7 billion in payments in the absence of action by the governor and lawmakers to close the state's nearly $42-billion budget deficit. More than half of those payments are tax refunds.

The controller said the suspended payments could be rolled into IOUs if California still lacked sufficient cash to pay its bills come March or April.

"I take this action with great reluctance," Chiang said at a news conference in his office. But he said that without action to close the deficit, "there is no way to make it through February unscathed."

The payments to be frozen include nearly $2 billion in tax refunds; $300 million in cash grants for needy families and the aged, blind and disabled; and $13 million in grants for college students.

Michigan and Rhode Island are already above 10% unemployment. And this stuff hasn't even started yet.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090121/BIZ/901210446/1001

North Carolina is at 8.7%
California reached an amazing 9.3%
Georgia and Florida hit 8.1%
Oregon is checking in at 9% with Washington at 7.1%
New York jumped a full percentage point to 7%, while New York City itself reached 7.4%. New York, like many other states, has run out of state funds for unemployment and has been taking Federal loans to keep the checks going.

You've got a government that is completely clueless and Bernake and Paulson asleep at the wheel. SPENDING DOESN'T FIX THIS and yet thats all we do.

We have literally increased the money supply in this country 70% since October. 70%!!! You think that kind of inflation won't hit your wallet? Think again.

And because of this outrageous mismanagement and creating of money out of thin air by our clueless gov't you have states trying to pass laws to bring back the gold standard. Or just listen to Ron Paul this past week - apparently Bernakes off coming up with a new gold standard and new currency for our government and yet we are left in the dark... Unbelievable.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBaSBkp6JTw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBaSBkp6JTw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wake up people. We are witnessing the collapse of the country and we're still more concerned with who is going to be in the Superbowl than where we will be a year from now. Its craziness.

It's a recession when other people are losing their jobs. It's a depression when you lose your job. Isn't that right?

Seriously people, this is all about spin and spin control. There are always people who are doomsday followers, and there are people who carefully analyze the situation, determine what they can control and what they cannot, and do the best within their control.

There was a lot of hype during the good times (illusion), and now there's a lot of anguish and terror during the bad times. Do you follow the herd and go fall down the cliff, or do you do your own thinking and do your thing?

The sky is falling if you let it. Good luck.

It's a recession when other people are losing their jobs. It's a depression when you lose your job. Isn't that right?

Seriously people, this is all about spin and spin control. There are always people who are doomsday followers, and there are people who carefully analyze the situation, determine what they can control and what they cannot, and do the best within their control.

There was a lot of hype during the good times (illusion), and now there's a lot of anguish and terror during the bad times. Do you follow the herd and go fall down the cliff, or do you do your own thinking and do your thing?

The sky is falling if you let it. Good luck.

No, it isn't. Spin isn't what dropped the equivalent of a nuclear bomb on Wall Street (partially of its own making).

The sky isn't dropping if you close your eyes either.

You guys, whether we'll go into a depression is still awaits to be seen. I personally don't think it will happen.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/UNRATE.txt

If you check out the link above, we are still much lower than some of the years listed. That does not mean we will match or beat the numbers but I do have optimism to see things turning around. If we are still feeling the heat by this time next year, perhaps the worry factor should apply.

Some of us might remember the Reagan years being a great era of economic prosperity, but those years had many over 10% unemployment months.

As a retail business owner, I actually start to see more life to my business in a area where the real estate is hit the hardest. In fact, I'm doing better than this time last month, not by much, but better.

A lot of numbers come out this week. Should be interesting.
I think home sales, auto sales, GDP, etc come out.

You may disagree with his politics, and like I, didn't vote for him. But so far, he has the right economic team in place and I've been impressed.

My sentiments exactly.

Back