• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going to check out my first NSX

I know its been mentioned many times, but I will say it again. This NSX is a bomb.

I'm curious as to how this one turns out. The OP mentioned peeling paint. I've never really seen the paint peel on an NSX (I don't have a huge sample to pull from though). Fade yes but not peel. Paint work possible with some crash damage? I would say in the 7 to 8 thousand range to make it even possible. Good luck.

its gonna cost so much to bring her back to life trust me.
paint is the least of your worries.

engine is prob locked up, timing belt is prob rotted, water pump locked up,
coolant is done, oil died years ago. tires, freon is prob the only thing stil good.

but damn it man bring it back to life.

MAX i would pay is 8-10K to bring it back to life your looking around 10-20K

it will be worth it though

tell him dont get the car painted cuz he is gonna go cheap and it will look bad. it needs to be done right the first time.
PM me if you want me to bring her to life. I live for this.

Last edited:
its gonna cost so much to bring her back to life trust me.
paint is the least of your worries.

engine is prob locked up, timing belt is prob rotted, water pump locked up,
coolant is done, oil died years ago. tires, freon is prob the only thing stil good.

but damn it man bring it back to life.

MAX i would pay is 8-10K to bring it back to life your looking around 10-20K

it will be worth it though

tell him dont get the car painted cuz he is gonna go cheap and it will look bad. it needs to be done right the first time.
PM me if you want me to bring her to life. I live for this.

There you go spoken from someone with lots of experience bringing the NSX back to life.

I would like to track this down, but cannot seem to get the info on contacting the owner.

It is dead in the office today, so I'll take a shot at what is involved here. :D

Bottom line, even doing most of the work yourself with discount parts from Acura this NSX will take $20k or more to get back to mint status. If I were retired, had a full shop and a daily driver- I would LOVE to take on this project. It would have to be an engine-out full disassembly restoration and would probably take a year. I believe this terribly neglected car deserves that treatment and an owner who will drive her every day.

The first thing I would do is get a list from Acura about what needs to be done to restore the car to just a driveable function. I have no doubt that list will easily top 20 G's. ;) I bring the list to the seller and offer him $8,000 cash for the car as is, since we don't even know if the engine will run. Assuming he takes the deal, I would flat bed the car home to my shop.

My first task would be to loosen the plugs and try to turn the engine by hand. If it turns, I would drain the oil and replace it with some cheap walmart 10W-30 and a cheap filter. I would try to start the engine. If it starts, I would run it up to temp and then run it at 2000 rpm for an hour. This will allow the oil to scrub and clean the internals. I would shut it off and drain the oil while still hot, so that all of the crud and sludge in suspension in the fluid will come out.

If it doesn't start, I would address the fuel system- drain the gas tank, replace the fuel lines, filter and regulator, clean the rails and send the injectors to RC for a cleaning. Once I know I can get fuel to the engine, I would re-try the cheap oil clean process above.

Once I have run the engine, I would remove it from the car for a full mechanical restoration job: TB/WP, plugs, all seals, hoses, belts etc. I would completely disassemble the heads and clean everything, replacing anything I found suspect or for preventative maintenence (speed sensor, crank position sensor, etc). it will definitely need a new A/C compressor (good used re-conditioned ones avilable much cheaper than OEM). I would fit a nice set of Comptech headers and replace the O2 sensors while it's out. I would send the valve covers to Lithimus for a re-coat and replace every bit of rubber, screw, or broken clip necessary. I would also give the throttle body a thorough cleaning. I would remove and inspect the clutch, which would be replaced if suspect. Similarly, this is a good time to consider a trans re-condition and possible JDM gears. This is not a necessary item, but if I did it I would outsource this job to a pro. I would finish up the mechanical service on the engine and hit the thing hard with degreaser, a brush and a pressure washer to get it gleaming again.

I would then turn to the brake system, flushing and then replacing the master cylinder and soft lines. I would disassemble the calipers, hit them with a wire brush and chemical stripper and re-paint flat black with some high temp paint (it's all in the prep). Then, I would re-build them with all new seals and boots using the Honda kits. Re-assemble with new pads, rotors and bleeders and the brakes are done. Then, it is time to flush and replace the clutch master and slave cylinders (including the soft line to the slave). Once that is done, I would turn to the ABS system, removing and rebuilding it with one of Warren's kits.

Turning to the interior, it actually isn't that bad on this car. I only would remove the seats and have them recovered with leatherseats.com skins. Having done this DIY, I would pay a trim shop $500 to do it this time around. I would also install the window thingies, Hugo's regulator pulleys, and the SOS door handle repair pieces. I would take out and clean the contacts on the door lock switches to avoid any false alarms. Same goes for the ignition switch. I would clean the aspirator fan and replace the main relay. If the carpet is bad, I would replace it with the Tfent kit in real black. Again, may be worth $500 to have a trim shop do the install and fitting.

Then, it's time to take apart the body. Remove all panels that can be removed for paint. Remove radiator, A/C condensers and A/C evap (needs to be replaced anyway). Remove front suspension. Remove all rubber seals (need to be replaced anyway). Source a good used door from Shawn. Flat bed the body shell and panels to the paint shop and wait for it to come back gleaming like a jewel.

While waiting for paint, I would address the suspension, which is probably rotted and/or leaking. Since the OEM 91 suspension is discontinued, I would buy some Bilsteins. I would also buy all of the OEM rubber pieces, bump stops and collars. I would strip the likely rusted springs and have them powdercoated to re-use on the Bils. I would also clean up the aluminum and get it nice and shiny again. I would inspect the steering rack and make sure it worked ok. If not, I would source a good used one from Shawn. I would inspect the ball joints too- they are probably ok but the rubber boots may need to be replaced.

Once the new shell comes back from paint, I would start the painstaking process of putting everything back together. New rubber seals where needed, new A/C O-rings, clean A/C evap (including unclogging the likely stopped up drain hose). Replace any broken clips, missing screws, etc. Find some nice 16/17 OEM wheels and get new tires mounted. Re-install suspension and drivetrain, fill and bleed the coolant. Fill with Mobil 1 10W-30 and install a denso tall filter. Assuming everything works and is buttoned up, drive the car to an alignment shop. Then, drive the car to an A/C shop to have the new A/C system flushed and filled/converted to R134.

$20,000 and 1 year later I would have a MINT, practically brand new 1991 Formula Red NSX to drive. And I would drive it every day that I could.

Problem is that I already have a MINT 1991 Berlina Black NSX to drive. :D Will someone take this project on?

I've been thinking a lot about what to do with a car just like this when i came across this thread...

What about wrapping it -- matte black or something? I believe the cost is almost the same as a proper paint job -- and u'd be protected...

My 2 cents would be to RUN away from this car not walk.
If you have the 7-10k to buy it, then 20k ish to restore, then just buy one already in good shape for 30k, save yourself the mental and physical anguish.

While I appreciate Honcho's breakdown of the issues concerning taking on a project like this - I have one question - why would anyone tackle that? I mean Honcho's list if you stuck to that and had to do all those things and COULD do all those things, unless you have a shop and a lift and just loved taking on projects - WHY? If you can't do all those things or could do some of them - how many hours of your time would that list of Honcho's take? I shutter to think and when you get through you have a 91 that is worth maybe a little more than you put in it in money but not in time plus money - NO WAY!

Every bit of good advice that you read from professionals starts out like this - "unless you just like the thrill and have the desire to fully restore a car - then you would be much better off to find one that has been "lovingly maintained" by the previous owner(s)". That is sage advice that's all I can tell you! Chances are if you do have a full time job and I assume you do, you will take 2 1/2 years to do this and maybe longer especially if you do it all yourself. Or you might run out of steam before you get done and it will sit around in your garrage until your wife, that is if you're married, will demand that the car be sold.

This is cheap advice - as the last poster said "run Forest run"!

Last edited:
While I appreciate Honcho's breakdown of the issues concerning taking on a project like this - I have one question - why would anyone tackle that? I mean Honcho's list if you stuck to that and had to do all those things and COULD do all those things, unless you have a shop and a lift and just loved taking on projects - WHY? If you can't do all those things or could do some of them - how many hours of your time would that list of Honcho's take? I shutter to think and when you get through you have a 91 that is worth maybe a little more than you put in it in money but not in time plus money - NO WAY!

Every bit of good advice that you read from professionals starts out like this - "unless you just like the thrill and have the desire to fully restore a car - then you would be much better off to find one that has been "lovingly maintained" by the previous owner(s)". That is sage advice that's all I can tell you! Chances are if you do have a full time job and I assume you do, you will take 2 1/2 years to do this and maybe longer especially if you do it all yourself. Or you might run out of steam before you get done and it will sit around in your garrage until your wife, that is if you're married, will demand that the car be sold.

I guess the bottom line is you have to be the type of person who does not want to leave any car (NSX) behind. I imagine that there is a great deal a self satisfaction (certainly not monetary satisfaction) in bringing a car back from the brink. Having owned a 928 Porsche a few years back I once in a while check out a website called Pelican Parts. I little while ago I wondered onto this post regarding bringing an old 928 back into the fold. I spent about 45 minutes reading it and was so impressed by the guys dedication to the project. As stated above you have to have a wife (if you are married)that will put up with the task. While reading the 928 project I was surprised to find out that the guy was married. If you have a few minutes to kill check it out.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors.../540954-first-928-story-nightmare-begins.html

So true.:smile:

Wow. Just wow. Where to start....

On one hand, to restore one of these unicorns to glory is so personally gratifying, eh Shawn?

On the other, the amount of money needed to get it back to where you will be proud to drive it? PRICELESS!

If you have the money and time and sympathetic SO, go for it. But I wouldn't offer much. You will need the funds.

My two cents.. Too much risk with that bad boy.. I can't believe someone would let her get that bad?
Unless you get it dirt cheap I think you should just buy one from someone on prime that takes care of an NSX the way they should be.

Run away
Don't walk
Run
Fast
I'd sooner buy a beautiful running, beautiful looking " salvage title" car at a great price than a ragged out neglected rodents nest... At least you " know where your at going in"

Again... Just my .02

Hmmmm... There aren't that many NSX's in the world. Everyone of them needs to be saved! It is our duty to ensure they live on for the next generation...

$5K and container it back to the factory and put it through the re-fresh program!

Hmmmm... There aren't that many NSX's in the world. Everyone of them needs to be saved! It is our duty to ensure they live on for the next generation...

$5K and container it back to the factory and put it through the re-fresh program!

Man I must have been half asleep when I wrote this so I'm going to edit:

If you have the bucks and could get it for 5k - highly unlikely - it would be good to save an NSX - there aren't that many of them and one day they're really won't be that many and these cars will be very valuable to some - as they should be. If you have the money and the inclination to restore a car then it is surely a car worthy of that attention - I don't but I can appreciate the guy that does (that is take one near death and restore it)!

I read rbilder's post below and anyone would be lucky to get one of Jay's cars for sure but he's apparently not selling

Last edited:
Here is what Jay Leno had to say about restoring cars:
April 2013 Hot Rod Magazine has an interview with Jay Leno.

This is what Jay says about it: ".... The great thing about car restoration is, if you restore a car, and you're making money doing it, then you're doing it wrong. most guys put ther hearts and souls into these projects, and when they sell'em, they don't get nearly what they put into them. But they don't care because they like them. I'm that way. I put way more into my cars than they're probably worth, but that's OK. I like to think I'm preserving a piece of history or saving it for the next guy - whatever you want to call it."

They also asked Jay if he ever sells a car: "Oh no, you don't sell cars! What a horrible thought that is! . . . The cars are my kids. I enjoy them and take care of them. I can't bring myself to part with any of them."

So, like Tim mentioned above... you find one of those guys who has poured his heart & soul in to resotring one & purchase that one :biggrin:

Last edited:
Here is what Jay Leno had to say about restoring cars:
April 2013 Hot Rod Magazine has an interview with Jay Leno.

This is what Jay says about it: ".... The great thing about car restoration is, if you restore a car, and you're making money doing it, then you're doing it wrong. most guys put ther hearts and souls into these projects, and when they sell'em, they don't get nearly what they put into them. But they don't care because they like them. I'm that way. I put way more into my cars than they're probably worth, but that's OK. I like to think I'm preserving a piece of history or saving it for the next guy - whatever you want to call it."

They also asked Jay if he ever sells a car: "Oh no, you don't sell cars! What a horrible thought that is! . . . The cars are my kids. I enjoy them and take care of them. I can't bring myself to part with any of them."

So, like Tim mentioned above... you find one of those guys who has poured his heart & soul in to resotring one & purchase that one :biggrin:

Right you are Rod!

I would love to buy a car from a guy like that and you know what I have been that guy to a degree. Example: my 91 NSX was in need of attention when I bought it for 28.5k and it had low miles. I might have gotten excited about the TB/WP before I had a little more insight, but I did that and replaced the clutch and over the course of a year or more I put 6k into that car - sold it for a loss just like Jay would. I don't regret that cause I drove it and enjoyed it. Did the guy after me a favor and I'm sure he appreciated it in his own way.

I am doing that now with my 85 Euro model Bimmer 635CSI - the car I bought looked great and the interior was really nice but it needed work! Mechanical work - ohhhhh yes - I might have had stars in my eyes or been blindfolded to the fact that there was less than proper documentation for maintenance! Brother, did I step in it! This car cost me 8k and the owner, a young kid and a DIYer supreme - well sort of - did a lot of work on the car but not enough and neither did the original owner - another DIYer - but not so good at it. Did some funky things - I of course thought I had enough sense to know a good deal without having a PPI - guys let me tell you that PPI deal - it is important - I mean really important cause you want to know what lays lurking beneath the surface - I violated my own code and have suffered for it because I can't just drive a car in the shape I found it - oh hell no- so I have proceeded to put about 8k in the car. WOW you say - but so easy to do if you are a perfectionist like me. It is in great shape now and runs as good as it looks and it does look great! I must sell it though and I don't suspect I'll get everything I've put in it out of it so whoever buys it will be the lucky guy!

I know the Jay Leno story but unlike Jay to buy another I must sell my "children". So it is with life but that's just the way it goes. It's a beauty but I'm moving and I have no place for it - so it sells to the highest bidder. Fairwell I say and ONWARD! Off to the next one some day soon I hope.

Adios till my next epistle....

Back