• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good read: R8 owner goes to a 2017 NSX and has some good real world input

I got tired of it pretty quick. People that haven’t driven the new nsx don’t have much clue. Anyone that drove a v8 r8 and thinks the nsx isn’t better is insane... now the v10...

Having sat in both, there is no way the new r8 feels more spacious inside. I thought it felt very cramped.

I do love all v10 r8s though. I was considering selling my nsx for one.

Neat comments there. I never knew the V8 R8 was a desirable car. I test drove one before deciding on buying my 930 and thought that it was too similar to my NA2 (power wise) to buy. I always thought the V10 with a manual tranny was the one to get.

Thanks for reading my Tapatalk signature

you can't compare a gen 1 R8 V8 to a gen 2 NSX. that's not a comparison at all, in no way.

the constant theme in that R8 chat, and echoed here, is that the NSX was massively overpriced and simply can't compete head-to-head at full price with the other brand badges.

as for the details of the NSX's interior and such, i'd concur with what was mentioned.

and yes, a manual tranny V8 R8 is a hot car. it doesn't have the V10 power, but it's more balanced, and usable (the better handling car). and that V8 sounds pretty damn good when let rip...

you can't compare a gen 1 R8 V8 to a gen 2 NSX. that's not a comparison at all, in no way.

the constant theme in that R8 chat, and echoed here, is that the NSX was massively overpriced and simply can't compete head-to-head at full price with the other brand badges.

as for the details of the NSX's interior and such, i'd concur with what was mentioned.

and yes, a manual tranny V8 R8 is a hot car. it doesn't have the V10 power, but it's more balanced, and usable (the better handling car). and that V8 sounds pretty damn good when let rip...

Of course not, a 1st gen V8 R8 is no comparison performance wise but regardless it's good chatter to have R8 owners moving towards the 2017 NSX.

We all know the R8 v10 with the gated 6-speed is the unicorn but not everyone has one. Ideally a 2017 R8 owner will comment or be attracted to the 2017 NSX but many of the comments are from the spectrum of other r8 owners. Reading their thoughts on why they would or would not switch is good insight into what competitive buyers of these cars are thinking. Whether true or not, these are valid arguments.

Ideally a 2017 R8 owner will comment or be attracted to the 2017 NSX but many of the comments are from the spectrum of other r8 owners. Reading their thoughts on why they would or would not switch is good insight into what competitive buyers of these cars are thinking. Whether true or not, these are valid arguments.

absolutely, i'll fully agree. seems most R8 owners have the same opinion as Primers that the NSX is way over priced. and while many of them find it an attractive option at $140,000 or less, they wouldn't seriously consider it at anything over that...

I’ll just patiently wait for the first run to come back off lease for me to snatch up...right in time for my 50th birthday :)

Thanks for reading my Tapatalk signature

Count me among the R8 owners who made the switch to NSX. I traded a 2011 V10 spyder. I'll give you my thoughts after a few weeks, as I just picked up the NSX yesterday.

Count me among the R8 owners who made the switch to NSX. I traded a 2011 V10 spyder. I'll give you my thoughts after a few weeks, as I just picked up the NSX yesterday.

Congrats again on the pickup! For a while I thought that you wouldn't make the switch due to the R8talk influence.

I also made the switch from r8 spider. Wish max was spider, overall like the max better, except for exhaust. Can’t beat a v10

I also made the switch from r8 spider. Wish max was spider, overall like the max better, except for exhaust. Can’t beat a v10

I definitely miss the convertible. I had a Stasis exhaust and that sounded amazing! Just picked up the NSX yesterday, so trying to acclimate and learn...it is definitely different!

All I saw was brand snobbery in the posts from people who car about badges but there were some logical people in there. The only argument against that the NSX not worth $200K is because it's Honda. Yet, the base price ~$160K car is more than well equipped to compete with other exotics in that price range.

With that said, I understand the grip on the dying V10 breed. However, I'm going to go with Lambo over Audi styling in that arena.

I definitely miss the convertible. I had a Stasis exhaust and that sounded amazing! Just picked up the NSX yesterday, so trying to acclimate and learn...it is definitely different!

Good to see so many R8 past owners here! We do a lot of custom work for the r8 community as well and have some really cool CF parts.

Check out the custom DD dash panel we are building now for R8 owners. The Spyder is one of the best cars to hear the growl of the V10 with an exhaust like IPE or Tubi, Stasis, etc.

2nd gen NSX is way nicer in person than I thought it'd be. Styling is great on the outside and pretty good on the inside. If the power output on the car increases and the electric motors show to be reliable, I wouldn't mind getting one in the future. They just need to make the car come standard with ceramic brakes and more CF on the outside...

Last edited:
With that said, I understand the grip on the dying V10 breed. However, I'm going to go with Lambo over Audi styling in that arena.

the Lambo is the more engaging, entertaining car. the R8 has always been the understated cousin. extroverts and introverts i guess?

that V10 in either car, fark! it is a jewel of an engine.

i've never wanted to own a Lamborghini until the Huracan Performante. that is the best car on the road right now...

the Lambo is the more engaging, entertaining car. the R8 has always been the understated cousin. extroverts and introverts i guess?

that V10 in either car, fark! it is a jewel of an engine.

i've never wanted to own a Lamborghini until the Huracan Performante. that is the best car on the road right now...

+1 the Huracan is a pretty neat car but after driving the Performante' it really does make the "regular" Huracan a bit mundane.....no fault to the base car but Lamborghini really did something special with the new one! It's strange even when we are so familiar with our Huracan, driving the Performante feels like a totally different car!

+1 the Huracan is a pretty neat car but after driving the Performante' it really does make the "regular" Huracan a bit mundane.....no fault to the base car but Lamborghini really did something special with the new one! It's strange even when we are so familiar with our Huracan, driving the Performante feels like a totally different car!

What is the difference if anyone can put into words? Are the track oriented changes still livable?

the base model Huracan, 610-4 or 580-2, is hard to put into words. those cars are absolute monsters, incredible machines. and as livable as a Volvo.

the Performante, gessus, is just another level again...

What is the difference if anyone can put into words? Are the track oriented changes still livable?

I've only done one test drive in a new NSX (thanks to a generous friend) but the R8 v10 that I have is a phenomenal car. Less the trunk space, it can easily be used as a daily. It's very smooth in comfort mode and can be transformed by drive select. Ground clearance is pretty good and the car is just asking to be driven hard. Also, the CCBs look and perform great.

Seems a lot of Ferrari owners also are NSX owners as evident by this thread - some really good posts showing love for the new NSX!@!!!

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bought-an-nsx-wow.564444/

Wondering now, how many NSX owners also have a Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, R8 or Porsche? :)

Post up here your experiences so we can all share!

Back