• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How the heck do you use torrents???

This thread is amusing. Makes me feel 'old' and I'm still in my twenties.

I'll leave out any discussion of the ethical or legal issues.

Napster is not old school. Neither are GUI's. Napster's ease of use is what brought piracy to the mainstream and caused the content owners to start fighting back.

BBS, FTP, and uuencoded Usenet (aka binary newsgroups) are the old ways, but those methods have been around since the 80's - 2001 is hardly pioneering :)

Have fun guys!

-Josh

Maybe you can enlighten us on the "new" ways?

Heh, if you didn't send email via UUCP where it could take several days to get to its destination and surfed BBS's at 300baud, then you're not old-school. Anyone remember Fidonet? Ugh.

Napster is not old school. Neither are GUI's. Napster's ease of use is what brought piracy to the mainstream and caused the content owners to start fighting back.

BBS, FTP, and uuencoded Usenet (aka binary newsgroups) are the old ways, but those methods have been around since the 80's - 2001 is hardly pioneering :)

Have fun guys!

-Josh

I remember trading "warez" over the BBS lines... I remember getting my phone bill (er my parents got the bill)... the things that we would trade are these old ass ASCII games lol! which took hours to download over a 9600 baud connection hahaha

Have fun guys!

-Josh

IMO, Napster and other P2P applications ARE old school. Frankly, I can find nothing better than newsgroups. Pioneering? Maybe not! But like many things, simple is often better.

My NAS has a BitTorrent client...especially convenient because my NAS is always on and consumes a lot less power than my PC.

check out rlslog.net for movies,games,apps,music. Folks there give out reviews, samples and links to where you can obtain the files. Also you can subscribe or register a private tracker site (i.e. demonoid.com or data-force.net). And if you need an invitation for demonoid, send me a PM.

R

My NAS has a BitTorrent client...especially convenient because my NAS is always on and consumes a lot less power than my PC.

oh wow which NAS are u using? That sounds like a great idea... I always wanted to get a ~3TB NAS to copy all my media to.... I have 2TB of local storage and its about 85% full!:eek:

btw cool seeing you drivin the NSX today! Its always so clean! :p

:eek:
Holy crap! I leave this thread and come back to ALL THIS FRICKEN INFO!!!1!

Thanks guys, I've got a few hours tonight to wade through it all and will try my hand at joining the new millenium...

btw cool seeing you drivin the NSX today! Its always so clean! :p

Amazing timing on entering the lot. I think yours was a lot cleaner than mine...haven't washed mine since Monterey (still has bugs from driving up the 101 and dirt from being parked outside at Laguna Seca).

oh wow which NAS are u using?

Infrant / NetGear ReadyNAS NV+, currently in RAID5 configuration with four 750GB drives (~2TB). I like it. Also supports DLNA (apparently up to four HD resolution streams)...very convenient since I can watch stuff on it from my PS3.

Last edited:
Amazing timing on entering the lot. I think yours was a lot cleaner than mine...haven't washed mine since Monterey (still has bugs from driving up the 101 and dirt from being parked outside at Laguna Seca).

Infrant / NetGear ReadyNAS NV+, currently in RAID5 configuration with four 750GB drives (~2TB). I like it. Also supports DLNA (apparently up to four HD resolution streams)...very convenient since I can watch stuff on it from my PS3.

Heh yea I saw you sitting at the light so I made a point to catch up a bit... any excuse to hit VTEC right? :)

I'm currently using TVersity to play my media to my ps3 across my wired LAN... It does transcoding on the fly and it plays *some* HD content.. if its WMV HD (which has WMA 9 Pro audio codec which it wont decode) so I'm looking for something that will play everything and not have to transcode it.

Anyways back on topic sorry guys! :p:redface:

+1 on the readyNAS... been loving mine the past 3 years!

:eek:
Holy crap! I leave this thread and come back to ALL THIS FRICKEN INFO!!!1!

Thanks guys, I've got a few hours tonight to wade through it all and will try my hand at joining the new millenium...

LOL which ever Bittorrent client you use, be sure you tweak the upstream so that it doesn't saturate your connection on a heavily seeded torrent...

Seeds are other people that are sharing the same file FYI :)

I usually set it to around 30-40KB/s depending on how fast your uplink is so that it is usable while BT is running. Hope this helps!

Back