• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I just lowered it

Ah man I just lowered my nsx. omg This is what the nsx is suppose to look like. I put eibach spring on oem struts. From the front clip i am now sitting at 4.5 inches. It is awesome. I can even get out of the car easier now. Ferrari f430 sits at 4.5 inches. If its good enough for ferrari its good enough for me.

welcome to the club.

Ah man I just lowered my nsx. omg This is what the nsx is suppose to look like.

No, it's "supposed" to look the way Honda built it :tongue:.

And how does lowering the car make it easier to get out of it :confused:?

And what do Italian's looks have to do with the Japanese :cool:?

Gotta love a good RANT every now and then :biggrin:.

Happy Motoring!

No, it's "supposed" to look the way Honda built it :tongue:.

And how does lowering the car make it easier to get out of it :confused:?

And what do Italian's looks have to do with the Japanese :cool:?

Gotta love a good RANT every now and then :biggrin:.

Happy Motoring!

just like how the stock 15/16 inch wheels is the way its suppose to look. sorry but you can keep your outdated late 80's look to yourself. =P

Ah man I just lowered my nsx. omg This is what the nsx is suppose to look like. I put eibach spring on oem struts. From the front clip i am now sitting at 4.5 inches. It is awesome. I can even get out of the car easier now. Ferrari f430 sits at 4.5 inches. If its good enough for ferrari its good enough for me.

Let's see some pics! I love the lowered look, especially on NSXs. I remember when I debated to lower or not...dropped it on KWs and never looked back. I have the occasional scrape here and there over speed bumps but the look is worth it.

Ferrari f430 sits at 4.5 inches. If its good enough for ferrari its good enough for me.

Still the 430's look like pigs next to our NSX's :D

candc8-14-10-010.jpg

only gallardos and murcielagos are low as our nsx's when lowered

I had Eibachs on mine when I got it and all I can say is I hope your fillings are secure. Those springs are hard as a rock. I couldn't wait to get em off the car. I liked the lowered look to but I believe that Bilsteins on the lower perch would look as good and be a little easier on the suspension. However - V3s would be even better - but coil overs are out of my budget.

I think the stock wheels and looks of the original are hard to beat - that's just me though.

I had Eibachs on mine when I got it and all I can say is I hope your fillings are secure. Those springs are hard as a rock. I couldn't wait to get em off the car. I liked the lowered look to but I believe that Bilsteins on the lower perch would look as good and be a little easier on the suspension. However - V3s would be even better - but coil overs are out of my budget.

I think the stock wheels and looks of the original are hard to beat - that's just me though.

Love my Bilsteins! And my fillings are still intact... :biggrin:

just got back from a 2,200 mile trip from last week.. lowered nsx etc. etc.

i'm still sore.. mostly my ribs

My HKS coilovers on the mid setting is the nicest riding suspension Ive had in any of my cars. Thing feels like a Cadillac to my previous vehicles Skunk2 Pro C's lol :biggrin:

Congrats! Now you just need to save more $$$ for tires! They are gonna wear out a lot quicker.

Well im still riding on oem spring I did notice its a little stiffer but not enough to make me not like it. The springs are to help you corner better so they need to be stiffer. I didn't really do it for comfort I disliked that 4x4 look. Modern exotic cars are low I wanna be low like them. I dont drive it everyday and for some reason i can get in and out of it easier.

Sorry camera sux and so did the weather.

62849639ab4ee0b6a4b9b3ee8ae2fd64c52c3b3.jpg
6284966686d2ac296fda46606b6c22e7b0d03a6.jpg
62849694d2fd0c10001d1a88c8d4fa0474a647d.jpg

I had Eibachs on mine when I got it and all I can say is I hope your fillings are secure. Those springs are hard as a rock.

Tim that's odd because the initial spring rate on the stock springs is more than the Eibach's. I have Dali springs and didn't notice much difference between stock and them, I did switch to Bilsteins at the same time, but they are close in spring rate to the Eibachs.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Suspension#Spring_rates

i have the same brand a 1.2 inch lower. i also did the thom aggressive camber kit to save the rear tires. 2 problems noticed ! quiet a bang in the front end over small like 2inch small road surface differences. Now the camber kit seems to make a bang over same type of road surface differences even in parking lots doing 5 mph. bang is only in the rt rear. THANKS IN ADVANCE for any insight on these problems. MARK

Tim that's odd because the initial spring rate on the stock springs is more than the Eibach's. I have Dali springs and didn't notice much difference between stock and them, I did switch to Bilsteins at the same time, but they are close in spring rate to the Eibachs.

What I found with my Eibachs is that they are just hard even though they are supposed to be "progressive" - BS. They're just hard as hell. Like a brick - when I've written,early on, about my Eibach experiences - I used to get guys that would PM me and tell me they had the exact same experience - so charts are great - but reality is that progressive springs just don't seem to really be progressive. I mean c'mon - how do you take a spring and make the coils react in a "progressive" manner - they are consistently coiled - how in the heck do you take steel and make it react one way at low speeds and more firm at higher speeds. Or more to the point how would you take a piece of steel and make it react nicely over a small bump and harder over a bigger one - that's just the nature of any spring. Progressive is a misnomer. It is the nature of any spring to compress less when the upper ranges of compression due to cornering are applied - in that respect all springs are progressive. What you really get is every time you go over a real bump in the road - you find the upper limits of that spring rate right away! It hits you like a brick - I really believe that it hurts the suspension which is not designed to take a lick like that. The NSX can be made to handle better than stock but it would be thru real good coil over suspension stuff - this other stuff is "junk" as a real racer has told me and fellow primer. V3s or HKS or whatever you want will make a big difference and they are really adjustable - not progressive. Sorry but it doesn't pan out - chart or no chart.

My new 05 springs are harder than the original springs I had in the car - some say - bs - you can't feel the difference - let me tell you this - I can feel the difference! Anyone that can't is numb. You can argue this till the cows come home but - I can feel the difference between my old Eibachs, my 91 springs and my recently installed 05 shocks and springs. All feel different to me! NO DOUBT.

Last edited:

I would have to agree. I have had Eibachs on my car for 10 years, same ride quality as stock, only lower. Over time I have found them to sag a little, but ride was unchanged from stock.

Tim, are you sure you have Eibachs?? Not that I would be doubtful, but your claim of over-stiffness does not really make sense vs. my personal experience, and that of others.

Better check them babies:D

Regards,
LarryB

. I mean c'mon - how do you take a spring and make the coils react in a "progressive" manner - they are consistently coiled - how in the heck do you take steel and make it react one way at low speeds and more firm at higher speeds. Or more to the point how would you take a piece of steel and make it react nicely over a small bump and harder over a bigger one - that's just the nature of any spring. Progressive is a misnomer. to me! NO DOUBT.

Tim, man can you write:wink:

The force a spring exerts has nothing to do with speed, only to do with distance in compression or extension and the spring rate. The simple formula for a spring is Force = kX where K is the spring rate and x is the distance of compression or extension. This is simple and linear for, well a linear spring, but if you understand the equation for how spring rate is calculated you can see how you could change the spring rate to progressive, for example, by changing the OD of the coil diameter at the ends of the spring or by changing the spacing between the neighboring coil. So you aren't telling the steel to do anything different, just designing it to do so.

http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_tension_calc_k.htm

In any case I can only go by my experience which is Dali springs and Bilstein shocks and based on that it wasn't really different to stock to me.

I would have to agree. I have had Eibachs on my car for 10 years, same ride quality as stock, only lower. Over time I have found them to sag a little, but ride was unchanged from stock.

Tim, are you sure you have Eibachs?? Not that I would be doubtful, but your claim of over-stiffness does not really make sense vs. my personal experience, and that of others.

Better check them babies:D

Regards,
LarryB

Well Guys and Larry B,

All I have to go on is that Bob Weber, a past primer, sold me his car and it had the Eibachs on when I bought it - he gave me the box that they came in which had the stock springs in it. So I can only assume that they were Eibachs. All I know is that several people wrote me personally and testified to the same experience that I had.

There was a huge difference to me when I pulled them out and like. Now that I have the 05 shocks and springs in - they are firm but do not jar when going over a 2" or 3" shear in the pavement. I don't know why mine seemed so hard but I can tell you that my springs in my 91 were not functioning well (read blown out). Perhaps I'd have had a different experience if my shocks had been better. But when I put the stock springs back in - the blown shocks were in there with em - it felt big time different! It's not just me I can assure you of that.

Larry if you've had yours in for 10 years maybe you can't remember what the stockers were like but the 91 shocks are not as stiff as the NA2 shocks. I can only report my own "seat of the pants" feel. Others may have a less sensitive heiny. Not trying to be argumentative here - just my own perceptions and those of a few others.

I also didn't like the lowered stance for scraping issues but that as they say is another story.

What I found with my Eibachs is that they are just hard even though they are supposed to be "progressive" - BS. They're just hard as hell. Like a brick - when I've written,early on, about my Eibach experiences - I used to get guys that would PM me and tell me they had the exact same experience - so charts are great - but reality is that progressive springs just don't seem to really be progressive. I mean c'mon - how do you take a spring and make the coils react in a "progressive" manner - they are consistently coiled - how in the heck do you take steel and make it react one way at low speeds and more firm at higher speeds. Or more to the point how would you take a piece of steel and make it react nicely over a small bump and harder over a bigger one - that's just the nature of any spring. Progressive is a misnomer. It is the nature of any spring to compress less when the upper ranges of compression due to cornering are applied - in that respect all springs are progressive. What you really get is every time you go over a real bump in the road - you find the upper limits of that spring rate right away! It hits you like a brick - I really believe that it hurts the suspension which is not designed to take a lick like that. The NSX can be made to handle better than stock but it would be thru real good coil over suspension stuff - this other stuff is "junk" as a real racer has told me and fellow primer. V3s or HKS or whatever you want will make a big difference and they are really adjustable - not progressive. Sorry but it doesn't pan out - chart or no chart.

My new 05 springs are harder than the original springs I had in the car - some say - bs - you can't feel the difference - let me tell you this - I can feel the difference! Anyone that can't is numb. You can argue this till the cows come home but - I can feel the difference between my old Eibachs, my 91 springs and my recently installed 05 shocks and springs. All feel different to me! NO DOUBT.
Progressive springs have different spacing between the winds of their coils. As the spring compresses, the coils that are closer together coil bind leaving less coils unbound -thus increasing spring rate with compression. Their is a distinct difference between progressive and linear springs. Progressive springs increase in rate with compression travel while linear springs have even coil winds and have a constant linear spring rate with travel.

One thing to keep in mind is the major underlying problem with lowering springs: they reduce suspension travel. Putting a lowering spring on any car, especially an "agressive" lowering spring greatly reduces the compression/bump travel of your suspension. The stock springs (and many lowering springs) have soft rates. Reducing the travel with slightly stiffer (but still soft) rates will lead to bottoming-out the suspension. It is also common for these lowering springs to 'settle' or 'sag' with time, resulting in an even lower ride height and even less travel.

While the every day ride quality of lowering springs can be about the same as stock, big bumps can result in extremely harsh ride and lack of compliance because of this bottoming out, when the stock suspension travel would soak up the bump.

Properly designed coilovers have shorter shock bodies and a proper amount of compression travel at a lower ride height, allowing more travel at a lower ride height and thus a smoother ride because it is not bottoming out.

Progressive springs have different spacing between the winds of their coils. As the spring compresses, the coils that are closer together coil bind leaving less coils unbound -thus increasing spring rate with compression. Their is a distinct difference between progressive and linear springs. Progressive springs increase in rate with compression travel while linear springs have even coil winds and have a constant linear spring rate with travel.

One thing to keep in mind is the major underlying problem with lowering springs: they reduce suspension travel. Putting a lowering spring on any car, especially an "agressive" lowering spring greatly reduces the compression/bump travel of your suspension. The stock springs (and many lowering springs) have soft rates. Reducing the travel with slightly stiffer (but still soft) rates will lead to bottoming-out the suspension. It is also common for these lowering springs to 'settle' or 'sag' with time, resulting in an even lower ride height and even less travel.

While the every day ride quality of lowering springs can be about the same as stock, big bumps can result in extremely harsh ride and lack of compliance because of this bottoming out, when the stock suspension travel would soak up the bump.

Properly designed coilovers have shorter shock bodies and a proper amount of compression travel at a lower ride height, allowing more travel at a lower ride height and thus a smoother ride because it is not bottoming out.

Great write up here Billy, I believe you've settled my issue in my mind. Now I understand the progressive nature and how that works. Thanks for that. I believe I experienced that bottoming out and it sure worked against me on my trip to Nashville from Houston - damn that ride killed me - especially in Miss. where the road North up to Tenn was just lowsy! Even in Nashville too. Not something that worked for me. I really believe that Coz had it right when he told me just to quite fooling around and get a set of good coil overs.

Would you agree with that Billy?

Great write up here Billy, I believe you've settled my issue in my mind. Now I understand the progressive nature and how that works. Thanks for that. I believe I experienced that bottoming out and it sure worked against me on my trip to Nashville from Houston - damn that ride killed me - especially in Miss. where the road North up to Tenn was just lowsy! Even in Nashville too. Not something that worked for me. I really believe that Coz had it right when he told me just to quite fooling around and get a set of good coil overs.

Would you agree with that Billy?
Probably. While lowering the car slightly is fine on the stock shocks, it is a real limitation when you want the car a lot lower.

Now that you experienced the problems with not doing it right the first time, I would suggest saving your money to INVEST in a good coilover and not just the cheapest coilover you can find. Cheap coilovers also have their disadvantages.

Back