• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My run in with a Yamaha R1

Is that F40 stock? A stock F40 will top out at 200-201mph. I'm sure a 600whp NSX can easily break 200mph.

Nothing breaks 200mph easy..........:rolleyes:

^ +1 - not even the Veyron - so I would seriously doubt if the NSX could break 200 even with this 600+ hp. It took miles and 1000 hp for the Veyron to do it. I'd have to see it clocked to believe it.

^ +1 - not even the Veyron - so I would seriously doubt if the NSX could break 200 even with this 600+ hp. It took miles and 1000 hp for the Veyron to do it. I'd have to see it clocked to believe it.

The Veyron needed over a 1000HP to get to 250+ MPH, because it was heavy and had a relatively high drag coefficient. The Mclaren F1 got to 240 mph with about 630hp and that was at the fly wheel.

There is a huge difference in power required for a car to get to 200mph versus 250 mph, because the drag is a function of the velocity squared. The coefficient of drag for the Mclaren F1 is .32 and weighs ~ 2500lbs , the Veyron has a .36 drag coefficient and weighs almost 4500lbs. Stock NSX has CD of .32, although I think VegasNSX might be higher due to the widebody....weight as we all know stock is about 3000lbs, again think his car is also lighter than stock...so without taking into account lift and downforce, I think with the right gearing his car could hit 200 mph. Just my $.02:smile:

Please take that quote back!!! Never say Never!
Not an NSX but still, car can beat bike!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBCPN2jNPDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBCPN2jNPDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNqa_1syyFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNqa_1syyFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

As the previous owner of an R6, I can tell you that no NSX will pull on an R1.

Not on any day, not in any conditions, not with any driver, not ever.

An R1 with Rosie O'Donnell on the back, Kirstie Alley on the handle bars and William the Refrigerator Perry at the helm, would blow the doors clean off a turbo NSX. Trust me.

:eek:

Last edited:
Bryans car will still give most cars and motorcycles a good run.

bryan's car is very nice. One of the nicest on prime. Really like the widebody and the turbo... can't wait to see it this year at nsxpo!!!

thanks

Please take that quote back!!! Never say Never!
Not an NSX but still, car can beat bike!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBCPN2jNPDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBCPN2jNPDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNqa_1syyFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNqa_1syyFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My sentiments exactly , I have seen it first hand - people who say that their bike is "the fastest thing on the road" are living in the past.

At 3000 pounds, a car needs around 700+hp to run with a well-ridden late model liter bike. However, the rider in question may have screwed up a little (shifting too soon, etc) and it may have been an older R1. It's difficult to get max acceleration from a liter bike--they're not optimised for it. I remember a test where they took a stock 9.9 e.t. bike and modded it only for better traction and less wheelie tendency. On the stock motor, it did 9.40s.

Either way, nice kill, ediddynsx. Even if he'd done everything right, you'd have caught him after 150mph, guaranteed. Nice car!

Nowadays, it's not that hard to build a car with 1000hp, which will outdrag any stock bike. On the other hand, one can easily buy and build a very reliable $20k 'busa that can do 8s.

I once raced a 600hp Viper in my R1. I had to let off momentarily in 1st to get the front wheel down. A little flustered, I then short shifted into 2nd, where I had to let off a little because the front came up again. I still beat him by 3-4 car lengths.

At 3000 pounds, a car needs around 700+hp to run with a well-ridden late model liter bike. However, the rider in question may have screwed up a little (shifting too soon, etc) and it may have been an older R1. It's difficult to get max acceleration from a liter bike--they're not optimised for it. I remember a test where they took a stock 9.9 e.t. bike and modded it only for better traction and less wheelie tendency. On the stock motor, it did 9.40s.

Either way, nice kill, vega$nsx. Even if he'd done everything right, you'd have caught him after 150mph, guaranteed. Nice car!

Nowadays, it's not that hard to build a car with 1000hp, which will outdrag any stock bike. On the other hand, one can easily buy and build a very reliable $20k 'busa that can do 8s.

I once raced a 600hp Viper in my R1. I had to let off momentarily in 1st to get the front wheel down. A little flustered, I then short shifted into 2nd, where I had to let off a little because the front came up again. I still beat him by 3-4 car lengths.

Fixed for you :smile:

The Veyron needed over a 1000HP to get to 250+ MPH, because it was heavy and had a relatively high drag coefficient. The Mclaren F1 got to 240 mph with about 630hp and that was at the fly wheel.

There is a huge difference in power required for a car to get to 200mph versus 250 mph, because the drag is a function of the velocity squared. The coefficient of drag for the Mclaren F1 is .32 and weighs ~ 2500lbs , the Veyron has a .36 drag coefficient and weighs almost 4500lbs. Stock NSX has CD of .32, although I think VegasNSX might be higher due to the widebody....weight as we all know stock is about 3000lbs, again think his car is also lighter than stock...so without taking into account lift and downforce, I think with the right gearing his car could hit 200 mph. Just my $.02:smile:

Weight plays a very small role in top speed - it affects acceleration, which may make somewhat of a difference of how long it takes you to get to a certain speed... but main factors in achieving ultimate top speed are (in order of importance): drag, power, gearing.

That being said, you basically hit the point that the NSX has a much lower coefficient of drag than a Mclaren F1, so with that power it sould be able to hit 200mph *in theory*. Difference is, both the F1 and Veyron are *engineered* from the ground up to go in excess of 200mph. By a team of really smart guys. Probably in white lab coats. The NSX had plenty of guys in white lab coats too, but they had no delusions about their car going over 200mph safely.

1) Downforce is drag, downforce is stability - the NSX doesn't have nearly as much downforce as the F1 (sans race spoiler), which in turn doesn't have nearly as much as the Veyron. That's why the Veyron needs so much power, because it's designed to get you to 240mph in a stable way. Read about drivers who have driven the F1 set up for top speed, it's a handful. Taking an NSX over 200mph would be one scaaary ride unless it was fully prepped to do so.

2) Top speed runs put a lot of stress on a car - top speed runs need lots of time and space to run out. At those power levels and extended durations, your motor will be experiencing tremendous stress and your headers will be glowing bright orange. Honda builds amazing motors, but if I were a betting man I surely wouldn't bet on the life of a boosted NSX doing repeated top speed runs at the salt flats.

Additionally you'd certainly want to prep the car if one were to actually consider this. You'd be surprised at the other stresses on the car at that speed - think about it... 600+ rwph being put to the ground... at top speed you have an equal and opposite force from air drag pushing against the nose, hood, and windshield of your car (as well as pulling on the rear). You can lose bits of your car, your hood can impode or explode due to pressure buildup, etc. And that is not just another trip to the insurance adjuster, it can dramatically affect the stability of your car when at those speeds.

And let's not forget your tires flying into pieces.

Sorry for the tangent - just saying that 170 mph top speed excursions are nothing like 200+ mph excursions. I certainly hope nobody tries it without proper preparation, expectations, and support.

^ i think that when we talk about something, we better know it for sure. Did you ever did top speed runs with an NSX ??... well, i DID. I ended my 5th gear, ie 5th gear fuel cutoff at 8000 true rpm (about 8050 read) and after some calculations, the speed was 307km/h (190mp/h)... being 200mph = 320km/h, so i was like 13km/h short ... ohhh and that was at nigh with my popups lifted (talk about drag)

And this was with my almost stock NSX. The only mods were no cats, a KN filter and a CF fender intake duct to the OEM intake box.

what i can tell you, is that the NSX is rock solid at that speed... one thing that amazes me in the NSX is that the faster it goes, the more you feel it "glued" to the road... i can only imagine it with good aero upgrades such as flat bottom and 02+ front end...

our prime friend greenberet did, and i think he still does, some runs on the autobahn, and he has videos of it, doing 301km/h in a flat area.... i did it in a small downhill in a deserted highway (didn't saw a single car during the whole time).

So... from ACTUAL personal experience, the NSX is structurally more than capable of those speeds... it only lacks the power to do it easily.

PS - and that part of parts starting to loose bits and parts imploding..man...please...get real...

Weight plays a very small role in top speed - it affects acceleration, which may make somewhat of a difference of how long it takes you to get to a certain speed... but main factors in achieving ultimate top speed are (in order of importance): drag, power, gearing.

I realize this, I suppose I should of alluded to why it takes the Veyron so long to get to 250+ mph even with 1001 hp was because it was a pig.

That being said, you basically hit the point that the NSX has a much lower coefficient of drag than a Mclaren F1

The coeffiecient of drag for the NSX and Mclaren are the same, it's the Veyron's that's higher.

Nothing breaks 200mph easy..........:rolleyes:

a GTR hits 194mph with only 420whp but has a cd of .27, a Ford GT hits 200+mph making 470whp and has a cd of .36,

So why wouldn't a NSX with 600whp be able to hit 200mph if it doesn't run out of gears?

Remember Greenberet hit 186mph (gps verified ) on a stock internals/displacement and naturally aspirated NSX. Granted it took a few miles to hit it, but your looking a 300whp vs a 600whp turbo charged beast. Most supras can hit 200mph with 600whp.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the compliments. And thanks to all for the negative comments too. I can certainly respect everyone's right to an opinion. I really didn't expect so much conversation as a result of this as I wasn't really endorsing anything; not trying to say road racing is ok, or NSX's can be bikes, etc. Just thought it would be interesting to share a pretty crazy story that actually happened. But I'm glad the thread sparked some interesting conversation.

The truth is, I have no idea what year bike it was (though I clearly saw the R1 label in the back) and I have no idea of the skill level of the rider nor if he had a bad run. I know I had a pretty ideal run under pretty ideal situations (perfect shifts, full tire hookup) and my NSX is pretty dialed in and it is basically the first generation Factor X racecar, minus roll cage, since most of the parts are either the same components or the actual ones from that car. But I'm not sure you could derive any meaningful conclusions from this one, very informal run.

Regarding this video:

This video took place in Vegas as well and actually very close to where I live and where I did my run with the R1. As you can see a very open road with lots of rocks everywhere. In fact, the area I did my run was in an even more remote location than this and did not have that other lane of return traffic. So hopefully it will assuage some fears that I was weaving in and out of traffic in a school zone, but rather just doing a run in a pretty desolate stretch of road.

This particular video of the Supra and the Hayabusa was a very common occurrence in Vegas for a while was known as the Sunday Roll-Ons. It was an informal group of tuning shops, car enthusiasts and just plain old rich folks that would meet up to chat and occasionally do a roll on for the fun of it. This was before Cars and Coffee made it to Vegas and was considered the precursor to C&C, but with a high HP twist. 1,000+ whp Supras, 900+whp Mustangs, 1,200+ whp Vipers, 300+ whp Hayabusas were common as well as Ford GT’s, Carrera GT’s, Lambo’s, Ferrari’s and the infamous Seamless 700+whp Factor X racecar. It was really informal and friendly and in fact, there were several law enforcement officers that actually participated there and participated in the roll ons as well. Nobody ever did anything stupid, there were never any accidents or drama and everyone was generally very cool with each other with lots of mutual respect flying around.

For those that doubt if a car can beat a bike, I saw multiple occasions of cars, not just beating, but killing bikes on these roll ons. The Virtua Works Supra was well known for beating bikes easily here in town; even modded out Hayabusas. This was a video of just one of these occasions. Garth’s 1,500+ whp Viper did the same. I was even able to see the Seamless Factor X car beat an R1 pretty easily as well, so I think it’s pretty safe to say that cars can beat motorcycles (even an NSX). Many of these cars are amazingly fast and until you actually ride in one, it’s hard to fathom how fast you can really make a car; we are talking street legal cars that run the ¼ mile in the 7’s!

I realize this, I suppose I should of alluded to why it takes the Veyron so long to get to 250+ mph even with 1001 hp was because it was a pig.

The coeffiecient of drag for the NSX and Mclaren are the same, it's the Veyron's that's higher.

Oops typo, I meant to reference the Veyron in that sentence, not the F1.

^ i think that when we talk about something, we better know it for sure. Did you ever did top speed runs with an NSX ??... well, i DID. I ended my 5th gear, ie 5th gear fuel cutoff at 8000 true rpm (about 8050 read) and after some calculations, the speed was 307km/h (190mp/h)... being 200mph = 320km/h, so i was like 13km/h short ... ohhh and that was at nigh with my popups lifted (talk about drag)

And this was with my almost stock NSX. The only mods were no cats, a KN filter and a CF fender intake duct to the OEM intake box.

what i can tell you, is that the NSX is rock solid at that speed... one thing that amazes me in the NSX is that the faster it goes, the more you feel it "glued" to the road... i can only imagine it with good aero upgrades such as flat bottom and 02+ front end...

our prime friend greenberet did, and i think he still does, some runs on the autobahn, and he has videos of it, doing 301km/h in a flat area.... i did it in a small downhill in a deserted highway (didn't saw a single car during the whole time).

So... from ACTUAL personal experience, the NSX is structurally more than capable of those speeds... it only lacks the power to do it easily.

PS - and that part of parts starting to loose bits and parts imploding..man...please...get real...

So.... you're saying you did 190mph....20+mph over the stock ceiling....in a mostly stock NSX.... with the headlights up? Was your 'small downhill' a cliff? :biggrin:

I'm not here to argue with the likes of you, don't really care. You wanna smear your remains along a mile long strip of pavement, fine - just don't take anyone with you please.

Happy Trails!

There are alot of strange science and scientists on this thread......

Exactly. I think what this race showed us is if a fast bike is going slower than a faster car, the faster car will win the race. And on that bomb shell, GOODNIGHT!

cue Top Gear theme music and credits

Back