• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice on how to deal with too much attention

Thanks to all as I think most of the advice is very good. In the five years I've had the car I have never been faced with this kind of aggressive situation. I'll just ignore them or politely smile and wave. Maybe pick up my cell phone and pretend I'm talking to someone and too busy to acknowledge them.

As a side note (hijacking my own thread :biggrin: ) when I first got here I had the car on a trailer and met the property management gal to give me the keys to my temporary condo. She said my car was "cute" several times. Is that an insult or what?? :biggrin: I can think of a lot of things to call the NSX, but cute is not one of them!
Was she???

Actually, if you were to do that in LA, they probably pull out a 33 on you.

Whatever the case maybe, people are ignorant and jealously is a sin - just make sure none of these kids follow you home.

Well I've done it many times in Miami, which proudly made it's way on the top of the FBI's Violent Crime Index for a city. So far, I haven't had a gun pointed at me yet. But, if it does get to that point.......I have my OWN gun and a Badge. But, I DON"T NEED IT. Thankfully, in the almost 8 years of NSX ownership.......THE LOOK.......does the job well for me.

The NSX is ricer holy ground. It will never end. Just look straight ahead at every stop light and never and I mean never blip the throttle at a stop light. I did this once to watch the oil pressure guage. Little did I know I had two cars next to me ready for a race. :smile:

Lol....that's happened to me several times. The oil pressure gauge in my Z acts up a lot, so I give it a little gas to see how much it rises/lowers. Did it a few weeks ago and some guy in an IROC smokes his tires and flies down the road. When I pulled up next to him at the light, I looked at him and laughed. People can be such tools...

Im invincible... people can't see me :biggrin:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

in·vin·ci·ble /ɪnˈvɪnsəbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-vin-suh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. incapable of being conquered, defeated, or subdued.
2. insuperable; insurmountable: invincible difficulties.

OR

in·vis·i·ble /ɪnˈvɪzəbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-viz-uh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. not visible; not perceptible by the eye: invisible fluid.
2. withdrawn from or out of sight; hidden: an invisible seam.
3. not perceptible or discernible by the mind: invisible differences.
4. not ordinarily found in financial statements or reflected in statistics or a listing: Goodwill is an invisible asset to a business.
5. concealed from public knowledge.
–noun
6. an invisible thing or being.
7. the invisible, the unseen or spiritual world.

somewhere along the line of John's suggestion. I usually give them a wave or thumb up, (with a freindly smile if I'm in good mood). Nothing is better for them when they got the approval from the nsx owner.

think about if you were still in 16 y.o. and the guy who's driving a F40 next to you giving you a thumb up??

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

in·vin·ci·ble /ɪnˈvɪnsəbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-vin-suh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. incapable of being conquered, defeated, or subdued.
2. insuperable; insurmountable: invincible difficulties.

OR

in·vis·i·ble /ɪnˈvɪzəbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-viz-uh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. not visible; not perceptible by the eye: invisible fluid.
2. withdrawn from or out of sight; hidden: an invisible seam.
3. not perceptible or discernible by the mind: invisible differences.
4. not ordinarily found in financial statements or reflected in statistics or a listing: Goodwill is an invisible asset to a business.
5. concealed from public knowledge.
–noun
6. an invisible thing or being.
7. the invisible, the unseen or spiritual world.

Yep! Incapable of being conquered, defeated, or subdued. Like I said people cant C me. :cool:

A friendly smile and wave normally does the trick in my area. They've been acknowledged, and on with life.

My brother-in-law lives in Los Alamos, and we visit him every 2 to 3 years. We also visit Santa Fe every time. I do noticed that the younger drivers in Santa Fe do not have very good road etiquette compared to my area. I get the occasional idiot, but not very often. The last time I was in Santa Fe (2 years ago), this Mustang just keeps tailgating this tricked-out M3 on Cerrillos (by Jackalope). The M3 changed lanes to blend into traffic and also let the Mustang pass, but the Mustang pulls up next to the M3 and stay next to the M3 for about half a block, and tailgates the M3 again. The M3 just pulled into a parking lot, and exit the parking lot from another driveway. This was one of 5 that I witness on that day. Different kids every time. I was in my minivan at the time, so they never bother me. We going to be there in late June. Let see what I will witness this time in Santa Fe.:smile:

A friendly smile and wave normally does the trick in my area. They've been acknowledged, and on with life.

My brother-in-law lives in Los Alamos, and we visit him every 2 to 3 years. We also visit Santa Fe every time. I do noticed that the younger drivers in Santa Fe do not have very good road etiquette compared to my area. I get the occasional idiot, but not very often. The last time I was in Santa Fe (2 years ago), this Mustang just keeps tailgating this tricked-out M3 on Cerrillos (by Jackalope). The M3 changed lanes to blend into traffic and also let the Mustang pass, but the Mustang pulls up next to the M3 and stay next to the M3 for about half a block, and tailgates the M3 again. The M3 just pulled into a parking lot, and exit the parking lot from another driveway. This was one of 5 that I witness on that day. Different kids every time. I was in my minivan at the time, so they never bother me. We going to be there in late June. Let see what I will witness this time in Santa Fe.:smile:

Interesting. The incident I talked about here was on Cerrillos. It's very busy and I usually try to avoid it. I also notice a lot of strange driving behavior on that road including a motorcycle pulling a wheelie in the middle of traffic on Wednesday. I think I'll definitely try to stay off Cerrillos with the NSX, and my truck......

I don't mind the head turning attention, but these guys were pretty aggressive and at one point I thought they were going to drive into me. I had to brake to avoid hitting them.

Stop the car. Wait 30 seconds. Then proceed.

Where ever you are going, it won't matter if you're 30 seconds later than you would be otherwise. And 30 seconds is a long time on the road -- the boneheads messing with you will be long gone.

It's bad enough people stare at the car but what I hate the most is when all the girls are looking when I'm just trying to walk around in public places.

Are they looking or are they laughing? :biggrin:

It's not because it's an NSX, it's because it's Midnight Pearl.

If you could read their lips, you'd see that they're saying things like
"wow, is that a factory color?!?"

Get a silver NSX and the attention will stop.

:wink:

The last time I was in Vegas I was sitting out front of the MGM hotel in my NSX and a group of guys were walking past... One of them said "NSX... Midnight Pearl...." and one other dude gave the car a good once over and said "Oh yeeaa its a 91." hah then I said um no its a 95....

I've had many people comment on the color of the car... most people don't know that its a stock color. I love it more and more every day. :D

And yea I've seen ppl mouth the "wow, is that a factory color?" hehe

Maybe pick up my cell phone and pretend I'm talking to someone and too busy to acknowledge them.

That one seems to work very well for me...and for the few occasions that it doesn't, I just look at them and shake my head :rolleyes: ( as if to say "you're an idiot") and that ALWAYS works for me!

ah, im experiencing this too.
the LOOK works great, especially at lil' kids.
a gun is a double edge sword. its good and bad.
personally, having a 'conceal&carry' license wouldnt be too bad,
since i know some people are just beyond crazy that even a laughter
or a thumbs up insults them. i've seen it happen.

in the end, just enjoying the 'driving' is the best
thing to do.

tho... i think my friend's tactic works funky great too.
he listens to 2pac out loud and just partys by himself
in the car, boppin' his head up and down.
no one wants to mess with a gangsta.....
but then again, nsx's and gangstas dont look right together.

I usually just pull out my Glock 23 and smile :tongue:

Just joking.

Jonny

This thread sounds like the Hollywood starlets woe-is-me for being famous complaints. People want something exotic that no one else has but don't want to deal with the attention it brings.
I live in a small town. I mostly just get the "what is that?" stares in the small towns. When I drive into one of the nearby cities (Louisville, Indianpolis, Cinci) I get much more attention from the ricers. I know I would be wanting a closer look at the NSX if I was driving a civic! Hell, I floored it to catch up w/ a Diablo the other day to see what was going on with it. People who are way into cars will always do this if you have a special ride. Kids only want to show off so. Let them do their thing and you can sit back and ignore them while safely going the speed limit. They will move on once they get their kicks.

I think most of them are thinking we only have the stock 290HP so they wanna race. Honestly, if the road is clear and safe -- I drop to 3rd gear and smoke their a$$es.

I get a lot of attention down here in Las Cruces (pop: ~75,000), but usually of the positive variety. I've had kids follow me for miles just to look. First time it happened I was a bit concerned, but I decided to pull over and let them have a look. On more than one occasion I've even taken given a quick demo drive. Just seeing the front suspension and hearing the engine scream shuts 'em up. If I had a supercharger or turbo it might scare them to death!

Wouldn't dream of doing this down El Paso way but, up here, it makes me feel kind of like an NSX ambassador. Of course, I do "carry" when I take 'er out, but you can do that legally in New Mexico!

So when are we having a New Mexico outing?

Cliff

Back