• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

The spirit of Type R is one of a balanced track weapon with no compromises for comfort. Taking that into account, I would expect a stripped down NSX (weight reduction, no A/V, A/C, etc.) with no hybrid and twin-turbo RWD with a track tune on the turbos for optimum road circuit performance at the expense of driving comfort.

Look what we have here

3etega9a.jpg

I think you're dreaming if you think this will sell for less than $160k.

What don't you like about the FI direction? Or are you just a fan of NA? I mean, Going forward when fuel mileage and earth dreams are going to be super important in the world this is the best option in my opinion. The Twins coupled with Hybrid tech should deliver both a fun, fast car and one that doesn't kill the environment. I can tell you as long as Honda can do this then the the cars will get better and better. Both performance and environmentally friendly. It's just what the future is heading towards. No other way to word it.

It hurt when M3 went turbo but I could take that but I really wanted another great engine from Honda. Again I'm glad for the guys here that wanted FI and big HP numbers. Hopefully Honda will deliver and you guys all get one and are grinning year after year. I'm no longer interested in the new but keeping my old NSX. Back to shuttin up lol

I fear the statement was 2200 Kilos and someone thought pounds. That would be 4800 lbs. which is out of the ball park. But batteries, three motors, modern crash protection, all the conveniences . . . . I'm saying under 3500 would be an engineering accomplishment.

I feel the same way..
They've done it before, I am crossing my fingers hoping they do it again. I was sort of "ho-humm" about the new NSX until yesterday when I saw this revealed. This opens a whole new world of tuning and performance possibilities!

- - - Updated - - -

This makes a lot of sense..
I fear the statement was 2200 Kilos and someone thought pounds. That would be 4800 lbs. which is out of the ball park. But batteries, three motors, modern crash protection, all the conveniences . . . . I'm saying under 3500 would be an engineering accomplishment.

well, at least the design is more current of cloverleaf than the NASCAR:tongue:, chop-stick, dog leg LSX....not that is there anything wrong with that wanting mega tork off the line.

the drivetrain has nice ribs all over.....:smile:
That 5.0 has ~the same HP/L as our NSX and can easily reach 100ho/L with the BOSS intake manifold.

LS motors are impressive and those 10k rpm pushrod NASCAR motors are marvels.

Can't wait to hear more details on this car.

Sorry I've just lost all interest in it as going turbo just took all the heavy lifting out. I still like the hybrid idea. If it comes to light that it does rev 8k+ I'll be interested again.

How can I expect?? I don't anymore. While it wasn't confirmed turbo there was hope. Soon as I saw turbo it became 'Yeah old Honda really is dead and this is just a mid engine GTR" Not a bad thing as GTR is a phenominal performer but I was still drinking the kool aid that Honda had enough technical prowess to use the hybrid system to match Ferrari w/o boost. Those days are dead as is old Honda.

I'll keep my mouth shut and go to Porsche as apparently they still like to build great engines.

What's wrong with turbos ?

wow 4 pages in 1 day..........we are starved for news......Ted hinted that we would not be disappointed.He knows they have to compete on performance and undercut entry point for the segment.I'm gonna do itbs on that longitudinal sucka...and a big snorkel.....:biggrin:

wow 4 pages in 1 day..........we are starved for news......Ted hinted that we would not be disappointed.He knows they have to compete on performance and undercut entry point for the segment.I'm gonna do itbs on that longitudinal sucka...and a big snorkel.....:biggrin:
+1. Ted did right

Well I was wrong. It's turbo. My dreams and hopes of high rev are probably dashed as well. Have to wait for further specs but it's like Honda is just saying "me too". How weak is the engine that it needs hybrid and turbo to compete. If it's not rated with at least 600hp with all that then they really failed. Special engine?? Not an Accord engine. Heck the Accord engine in the RLX is rated at 310hp. If the "Special" engine is a 3.5 and doesn't make 120-130hp per liter w/o boost then it's only special feature is it's not an Accord engine.

Seriously f*ck the bullsh*t Honda might as well as went V8. This different V6 is not part of the ED line up and since it's twin turbo it's a break from previous NSX tradition so for the extra expense wouldn't a V8 have been better for reliability/durability?? Perhaps it made no sense as the market is downsizing to smaller engines.

I'm happy for the FI guys but this comes out as a fail to me. Old Honda is gone as there really isn't anything unique anymore and no engineering breakthrough just "Me too". Ok rant over

Holy crap. Is it that time of the month for you? :tongue: What is wrong with turbos? They are efficient, increase torque, and are probably a great companion to the low end torque of the motors. This car is going to have torque coming out of its ass. What do turbos have to do with redline?!! Have you seen Honda build any sports car engines that did not rev high? What is with all this "me too" stuff? Honda has never been me too. Even when they are wrong. Sometimes they deliver a beak and sometimes they deliver an FCX clarity but they are never "me too". Besides... you condemn and entire car and say you don't want one because it has turbos? I think all you and I can ask for is a car that is exciting to drive. Leave the engineering to the engineers. I don't care if they do it NA, Turbo, electric, or powered by Seaweed Salad... Let them do what they need to do, then drive the product, feel how it responds, hear how it sounds, see how it makes you feel, then decide whether it is worth buying or not.

2200 lbs. is surely a misprint.

I went back to look at some email exchanges as "2200lbs." was the second time I heard that figure. I don't remember the last car that weighed 2200lbs and weighing that amount would be antithetical to modern practices. Considering that, he had both the Super GT/DTM nsx and the production car in the discussion. So I'm sure that he has to be talking about the Super GT/DTM car and not the production car.

Sweet engine! The only problem is this new NSX just became more expensive. If this really happens and this car is 100,000 dollars or less watch out every super car maker. I have a bad feeling thats not going to happen. This bad boy might hit 150,000. I hope I am so so so wrong.

Is it me or does this look to be a mock up and possibly plastic?

Warren, I think the display engine and drivetrain are powdercoated. Fairly common when on exhibit. At least they were when I was active in the power industry.

If you think the turbos don't belong here, you had better get ready for a long few years. Brian hit this one on the head: efficiency means recycling energy. Why would you (I'm talking to YOU Wingz) believe that a Halo car built on the model of ultra efficient performance blatantly avoid a form of energy recouping?

I'm shocked that this is the path that they have chosen. Very pleasantly shocked!

Ted, you and your team have done well my friend. I could not be any happier with the direction this project is heading. If tomorrow I find out that I can buy the new Civic Type-R, I will realize that I am actually dreaming and probably wake up to a much more cruel world. (^o^)

First time, I am actually pretty excited for this car even though I cannot afford it right now. I would not say this is a disappointment until the actual car is out.

Nspec you must be happy your design change of a longer rear end sounds to be coming true.

Yes, I am excited to see how this will affect the rear end/side silhouette!

Well I was wrong. It's turbo. My dreams and hopes of high rev are probably dashed as well. Have to wait for further specs but it's like Honda is just saying "me too". How weak is the engine that it needs hybrid and turbo to compete. If it's not rated with at least 600hp with all that then they really failed. Special engine?? Not an Accord engine. Heck the Accord engine in the RLX is rated at 310hp. If the "Special" engine is a 3.5 and doesn't make 120-130hp per liter w/o boost then it's only special feature is it's not an Accord engine.

Seriously f*ck the bullsh*t Honda might as well as went V8. This different V6 is not part of the ED line up and since it's twin turbo it's a break from previous NSX tradition so for the extra expense wouldn't a V8 have been better for reliability/durability?? Perhaps it made no sense as the market is downsizing to smaller engines.

I'm happy for the FI guys but this comes out as a fail to me. Old Honda is gone as there really isn't anything unique anymore and no engineering breakthrough just "Me too". Ok rant over

Lol, I called it when the RLX SH-AWD specs were releases a few weeks back. Turbo is inevitable...

I am hoping, but I am also quite confident that Honda will spin the motor to 8K if not a bit more. The GTR already does 7.5K so I'm quite sure Honda can outdo that if not match it and still deliver a stronger top-end biased power curve because that is still Honda's specialty, even if the redlines are limited with most current models. Honda likes to build motors that breathe well and I highly doubt that their flagship "hypercar" will be lacking in that department.

You also forget that Honda likes to underrate their engines, so we can still expect strong or decent dyno numbers as usual. If it's a 3.5 making ~550 hp, that's nearly 160 hp/liter and they will probably only pump a low ~7 psi from the turbos. I don't think Honda will resort to 3.7 or 3.8 like Porsche or Nissan. I predict the emotors will only add ~60-70 hp like the RLX and most likely not exceed 100 hp, which could still temporary put overall hp over 600!!! Just my guess, because I realistically do not see sub 500 hp for the twin turbo motor sans battery power.

Acura-NSX-drivetrain-promo.jpg

honda_nsx_det_ns_1118131_717.jpg

"Acura wouldn't confirm any details or specs on the car other than that the engine will be unique to the NSX and not simply an Accord motor in a pretty package. Just from looking, however, we can tell this V6 is just under 90 degrees and features dry-sump lubrication and direct injection. Assuming a displacement of 3.7 liters, combined with the car's three electric motors, 550 horsepower sounds reasonable, if not conservative."

Last edited:
Automotive News and Motor Trend say the engine will be 3.5 liters or no larger than 3.5 liters.
Edmunds is the one who is assuming 3.7 liters.
Honda remains silent on the actual displacement.
I think until Honda announces we can't assume anything about the displacement.
I'm also thinking the power output will be one of the last things specified.

I'm sure somewhere in Japan this engine has been running on dynos for some time with a variety of turbo boosts, cam timing etc.
Honda is very good at this and I'd think at some point they'll choose a tuning set-up that will yield the torque delivery and reliability they want for the road car
No doubt they've taken the engine to very high levels of boost and cam timing to see what can be wrung out of it for racing applications, type R versions and so on.

I think it was in 1988 that the Honda 1.5 liter 80 degree V6 turbo F1 engine was putting out 675 hp at 12,500 rpm or 450 hp per liter.
That's 25 years ago so with today's electronics, alloys, injection and turbo systems I'm sure it would be higher.
Our NSX by comparison seems to be a pretty mild tune with perhaps 500-525 hp at 9000 rpm.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a racing version of the NSX engine come close to 900 hp depending on the boost allowed in the rules.

In short I don't think displacement will be as important as the bore/stroke relationship and weight of the spinning components.
Larger displacement means larger heavier pistons, rods, crank etc. and I would think Honda has considered all that in deciding on the final engine size.

The choice of going turbo may have come down to the Honda policy of using V6 engines and the total weight of the new NSX.
Perhaps they felt they couldn't reach the performance goals with an NA engine and needed to up the power without making a larger heavier engine.

In any event, as Dave says, how the new NSX drives, handles, sounds and makes you feel as an owner is the most important aspect.
I think Honda will blend all the variables into another great car.

Last edited:
Back