• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner of a...snap ring issue!

next week parts are supposed to come in!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, since I am at it, anything else I should look at ?
I am replacing:
the transmission housing + snap ring
end caps (cam seals? is that what they are called?)
valve cover gaskets kit
Oil change + filter
Spark Plugs
Transmission fluid

Anything else?

What's the part # of the bearing that goes to the transmission housing on the right rear axle?

To a local shop of a friend of mine. They have worked on many NSX before and they are open on Sunday, which makes it convenient for me...

TB/WP was done in August 2011 at 90k miles. Car now has 96, so I thought it would have not been necessary to replace them - again.

This is my snap-ring repair kit:

91207-PR8-005 Transmission Case Seal
21200-PR8-000 Transmission Case
90602-PR8-000 Snap Ring
91307-PR8-005 Filter O-ring
91206-PR8-005 Clutch Housing Seal
90201-PR8-000 Countershaft Nut
91003-PR8-008 Countershaft Bearing
91216-PR8-005 Mainshaft Seal
91215-PR8-005 Shift Shaft Seal

Last edited:

90602-PR8-000 Snap Ring
91003-PR8-008 Shift Shaft Seal

Thank you!

Parts arrived - let the rebuild start!

I bought the parts at http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/

For whomever is interested: the total cost for the transmission housing + repair kit, bearings, valve cover gaskets, Cam seals, oil pan gasket + OEM Oil filter and a couple of other minor things (oil, spark plugs, etc) was Approximately $1,600 shipped in 2 boxes (I bought the gaskets later).

Last edited:
Picked up the NSX TODAY! What a wonderful car it is, so light you can feel it from the way it progresses when I accelerate.

Now let’s move forward with the issues! J

Radio: sometimes the volume works – sometimes it doesn’t. Any suggestions?
AC: when I turn it on I need to put it to full blown for like a minute, then move it down. I can’t read the right part of the display though L
Cruise control: not working but I do not care much…maybe a fuse? Horn works so I will look into that.
Driver door open signal: where the hell is the little switch that signals the closed door?? Can’t find it.
Rear brake signal: how many SAE 2057 bulbs?
Noise from tachometer: strange rolling noise from the tachometer, like a rolling thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Before you kill me - I am looking at the NSX wiki and I am sure I will tackle down all these issues. In the meantime if someone had one of these issues and wants to chime in, more than welcome! :)

I have dealt with some issues, not identical to yours but close. You need to look at the ground wiring in the center console. There is a main ground wire unter the radio, and recently I had an NSX with similar issues. After removing the center console I found the ground led was not reinstalled properly after some service done. Once I grounded the console where it was suppose to be grounded all these weird issues were resolved. In regard to the Climate Control(A/C), you may need a rebuild. You can contact BrianK.

HTH,
LarryB

Thank you!

And thank you all for the messages. Larry, Bastanza in Italian means "enough" but your posts and suggestions are NEVER enough for a new owner! Thanks so much, I will have to remove the center console to remove the AC unit - is starting to get hot here in Texas and I want the AC fixed ASAP!

I took the car to Carboy here in Houston, TX. I had done:
- Cam Seals
- SPOOL VALVE gasket
- Valve cover gaskets
- Trans Housing
- Clutch (stock - no additional labor)
- Thermostat

And obviously oil and trans fluid change. Not sure when was the last time it was done but judging by the ex owner I would say ages...All parts were OEM.

I also would like to sign up for the membership of the TLBW club (Tail light brake warning): checked every single bulb and they are all good. From what I understood noone has found a solution to it yet.

I suspect a short, even the radio sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Like after I drove the car for 20/30 miles and I turn it off, when I start it again the radio works. Does anybody know an exorcist ?:rolleyes:

I have to say this machine is quite tail happy (probably 11 years old tires help)!

To do this weekend:
Rotors (F+R)
Brake Pads (F+R)
Brake flush (although not recommended not to damage the brake pump):confused:
Fuel filter (after a run with techron additives or whatever it is called)
replacement of transmission velocity sensor since the tacho is acting weird

Boy I missed driving a Honda...

To do this weekend:

replacement of transmission velocity sensor since the tacho is acting weird

If you are going to replace the vehicle speed sensor, only do it if the SPEEDO is acting up, that will NOT fix the tach;)......

I have been using the NSX as a daily driver and what a great experience it is.
The car is stock with only some 17-18 NSX fit Enkei RP01.

In the past 6 months I have taken care of the followings (all documented):

- Clutch Master cylinder and slave
- New steering bushings (SOS)
- AC Condenser fan (AC is a must in Texas)
- Fuel filter
- Airbox filter
- Engine bay coolant hoses

I am really torn between modifying it (it has 101000 miles) or keeping it the way it is. I do enjoy HPDE and I think the car would benefit from an addition of Koni + swift springs and a smaller steering wheel. I do not want to go crazy with injectors, chips or other more radical stuff, it's hard to beat Honda's engineering and preserve reliability at the same time.

90602-PR8-000 Snap Ring
91003-PR8-008 Countershaft Bearing
91215-PR8-005 Shift Shaft Seal

Well my transmission is now leaking a bit of fluid and I have been told that it either the inner housing cracked or the main seal.

I went to check in the box where I had the old parts that were replaced and - sure enough - I found that the 91216 part number above has not been replaced and it is still in its bag... Moment of rage. Reconciliation. Call to the shop that did the job, I will send the car in for them to check.

If that is the case, transmission will have to come out to replace ONLY that seal, a $5 part...Because I do occasionally some trackdays the leaking may worsen so there is no doubt that I will take care of it. And maybe add a JDM R&P since we are at it.

Stay tuned.

Carboy in Houston replaced my transmission housing because of a bad snap ring back in March 2014. My shopping list was taken off of the suggestions made by Larry be in this post. I also took my car to them because I always see are there any sex is around and they previously work on my Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9. When I picked up the car, everything seems to be working fine, they give me back some part in my old clutch discs and they also gave me back some seals that they said they didn't need to replace. If I went in the car drove fine, without showing any issue.

After a year I started to take my car to a different shop, Davud is a grwat guy, while doing other stuff he told me that the transmission was leaking. He also told me that it was probably the main seal that was leaking, he said he could check that by removing the cover where the flywheel is. Is it true that it's possible to check that way? I trust him so I think so...

I went back to carboy asking them why they didn't replace the seal since now I had a transmission that was leaking! At first they told me it could be engine oil, at which I replied I'm not stupid it is not engine oil... But I started to smell something bad. Then they told me that they did the job a year ago and they don't remember, and that it could have been a bad part from Honda. At that point I said he can't be a bad part from Honda because you guys didn't replace that part from Honda!

Now they're asking me to send them the invoice showing proof of the job done back in March last year, which I don't understand how can it possibly help to determine responsibilities. I know for sure that they're going to use it to cover their ass saying that it was after one year and that it was too long ago.

No I don't know what to do, I don't trust them to do the job again nor I think they would admit that they screwed up, while if I have somebody else to do the job they could possibly claim that this guy put a bad seal in just to prove them wrong .

What would you guys do?

Last edited:
After a year I started to take my car to a different shop, Davud is a grwat guy, while doing other stuff he told me that the transmission was leaking. He also told me that it was probably the main seal that was leaking, he said he could check that by removing the cover where the flywheel is. Is it true that it's possible to check that way? I trust him so I think so...

Remember he is talking about the ENGINE mainseal, not the trans. If you do check it like he suggests it will eliminate the ENGINE mainseal as the problem if it is dry behind the flywheel. Ultimately this will lead you to the trans being the issue.

HTH,
LarryB

A decision is made: I will NOT take the NSX to the same guys as I just do not feel confident that they will do a good job.While I am opening the transmission I am opting to replace the USDM gears with the JDM ones. This should eliminate the long second gear. I decided not to replace the final drive as I do not want to have high revs at highway speed.I am also planning to have the gears and synchors and OEM final drive WPC treated.WPC treats the parts to reduce friction and for smoother surface quality. You can learn more here: http://www.wpctreatment.com/about.htm While I do have the part numbers for the Japanese gears, I am not sure if the Japanese and USDM synchros and hub sleeves are interchangeable or not.Can anyone chime in?

Back