• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner of a...snap ring issue!

HDA

Experienced Member
New owner of a...snap ring issue! NOW FIXED! Love it!

Hello NSXPrime, I have a few questions regarding a 1992 NSX.

The snap ring broke. The car still drives and shifts fine, I commute 2 miles a day with some traffic.

Do I absolutely need to stop driving it and fix it? Granted that I shift below 3000rpms for now due to this.:confused::confused:

Has anybody "fixed" the OEM housing by enlarging where the Snap Ring sits or should I just go ahead and buy a new Housing? The difference is $800 as Labor is the same whether you fix it or you replace it.:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oil leak on the rear head, I believe is the spool valve and since I am at it I will also replace the valve cover gasket.

Product SKU# Description Remove
90004-PE2-005 BOLT, SEALING (10MM)
12206-PH7-300 BOLT, SEALING (16MM)
12208-PG6-300 SCREW, SEALING
90442-PR7-A00 WASHER, HEAD COVER
12343-PR7-A00 GASKET B, HEAD COVER
12341-PR7-A01 GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER
15825-PR3-005 FILTER ASSY., SPOOL VALVE

Which is the best online parts retailer?

My right side of the display is gone, AC and fan work fine but I just can't disengage the AC or select the mode: is it normal? Where to fix it?

Does anyone have an oil pan laying around?
Does anyone have an OEM airbox laying around?

But most importantly, does anyone have a 5spd gearbox laying around!??! :D

The NSX has always been my dream and I always wanted a NA1, red with black roof and black interior, just like the one I have in garage! I do not fancy Lamborghini, Ferrari or GT3. Even thought there's this issue to be fixed, I am still very happy. Like super happy, I still can't believe it. It just sucks that I can't drive it!

I am sure I will have other questions popping up, for now thanks and I will try to post some pics soon!

Last edited:
When my snap ring broke the car was undriveable so you are lucky to be able to drive around.
I'd suggest you fix the housing asap before you have major transmission damage from bits rolling around in there.
I think Briank will be able to fix your climate control unit

How many miles were on your car when it broke? Good to know for reference

It might be a good time to do the clutch while it's all a part.

Last edited:
I think i am just better off buying a new housing... does anybody have all the part numbers needed to replace the snapring?

Suggest you read the Honda TSB on the snap ring factory repair
The TSB is in the Wiki and lays out the parts you need to replace
I too am interested in the mileage on your transmission.

you keep driving it your gonna be hurting your wallet. think of priorities

would you buy chrome rims for a car that doesn't run? some do..
would you paint a car that doesn't run? some do..
would you get a 5000 dollar stereo installed in a car that doesn't run? some do..

or

would you get the car running then buy rims?
would you get the car running then paint the car?
would you get the car running then install the 5000 dollar stereo?

so get the cars snap ring fixed first, then drive it.

you have been warned, and now you cant say " well know one ever told me "

goodluck

- - - Updated - - -

also you skipped answering the question about how many miles your NSX has... this community shares info so we all know what the life and average is of snap rings.

so miles on NSX when you snapring failed? = __________?

Hard to know.
I just bought ghe car with 96k miles, i checked the snap ring "window" and i removed a half inch piece of the SR. The rest of the ring is still in place.

your answer is......... drum roll please...... don't drive it get it fixed. you will need new tran housing. to have peace of mind.

keep driving it you could do more damage. you have been warned.

OP - I'm curing to know how did you know it was the snap ring ? What were the tell tale signs ?

Beside looking that the housing fell in the "snap ring range" I lifted the car, there's an opening in the housing where the snap ring. Open it, some oil should come out but not much.

It should be # 32 in this picture http://estore.honda.com/acura/images/parts/catalogs/EA/13SL001/Estore/illustrations1/SL03M1200.png

Take a light and look inside. Mine had a piece of the snap ring there => new housing.

I was thinking about going full steam and buy the short gears but then I thought that this is not going to be a track animal and saved 13 Franklins

For these parts above:

(12) 90442-PR7-A00 WASHER, HEAD COVER
(6)12343-PR7-A00 GASKET B, HEAD COVER
(2)12341-PR7-A01 GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER

Order these instead: (2) 12030-PR7-010 Cylinder Head Cover SET You will get all of the above:).

Best way to go;).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
OP - I'm curing to know how did you know it was the snap ring ? What were the tell tale signs ?

I bought a 92 a while ago that had already failed and noticed it on the test drive...the shifter moving a bit, so I took Nick from applied down with me to check it out and he confirmed that it was a snap ring failure...the car had 106,000 miles on it..I ended up buying it after negotiating the cost to fix it in the deal...

I would like to know, how many here have snap ring range cars that have had NO failure and how many miles they have....

In my case the transmission started sounding like a turbo and the shifter started moving.
Mine failed at 41 k miles.

I have a '91 NSX with about 165,000 km on it. Part of the serial number is missing on the transmission case so I can't tell if it's in snap-ring range or not, but I've had no tell tale signs and Robert (factorynsxtech on prime) has inspected it and says no problem. I look at it this way, if there was a snap ring problem I'd just spend about a thousand dollars and get it fixed. No big deal.

It seems that the Snap ring is one of those "magic" words in the NSX community! :D

Anyhow I ordered the parts, should be fixed for next month together with the oil leaks (ncap?)

Many ask me which bodykit/rims/tires/exhaust will I put, I just can't wait to have it back all stock! Yes, even with the 16/17 wheels combo!:biggrin:

It seems that the Snap ring is one of those "magic" words in the NSX community! :D
Anyhow I ordered the parts, should be fixed for next month together with the oil leaks (ncap?)
Many ask me which bodykit/rims/tires/exhaust will I put, I just can't wait to have it back all stock! Yes, even with the 16/17 wheels combo!:biggrin:

I may be in the minority but doing all the maintenance and putting it back to stock is a wise decision.
Stock NSX's are becoming most rare.

before I swapped my 5-speed to 6-speed my car was in snapring range either was a lucky one or it was fixed be previuos owner it was at 114K miles at time of removal

I bought a 92 a while ago that had already failed and noticed it on the test drive...the shifter moving a bit, so I took Nick from applied down with me to check it out and he confirmed that it was a snap ring failure...the car had 106,000 miles on it..I ended up buying it after negotiating the cost to fix it in the deal...

I would like to know, how many here have snap ring range cars that have had NO failure and how many miles they have....

rescued a FR '91 with 168k (70+k on the CTSC), trans #3746... no issues...yet...

I have internals out of my 92 5-speed had like 30k on them at the time. All boxed up in original Honda bags with part numbers. Only thing missing is the snap ring and case the snap ring is housed in. You would still need that. I have the stock Final drive as well. I went all new on mine 4-5 years ago tho I didn't have to because as soon as it went I pulled over and had it towed. So the internals are mint. Make a reasonable offer and there yours.

Back